Resource NU Bazaar (Now Accepting SM NU Alpha Teams!)

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

So, I started this team wanting to build around sub-charge beam rotom, which is a fun set with surprising cleaning ability. As the main counter to this set is lanturn, gastrodon was a natural addition, as it is easily able to take on lanturn, and is also able to cover a bunch of threats like aggron and DD rhydon. After these two, I wanted a switch-in to grass attacks, and initially used roselia, but switched to vileplume to better cover shiftry, and to provide worry seed to reduce my malamar weakness. Rhydon was another natural addition, as it can provide a fairly good normal/flying check, in addition to letting me set up stealth rocks. After this, I wanted some sort of hazard control, and a good ice check, and cryogonal was a nice fit for both of those criterion. I chose to use safety goggles to help my matchup against smeargle, in addition to making it a lot easier to handle vivillon. Finally, scyther was a nice win condition, that covered enemy grass types, and provided a check to fighting types and malamar.

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Worry Seed

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Cryogonal @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor

So, I started this team wanting to build around sub-charge beam rotom, which is a fun set with surprising cleaning ability. As the main counter to this set is lanturn, gastrodon was a natural addition, as it is easily able to take on lanturn, and is also able to cover a bunch of threats like aggron and DD rhydon. After these two, I wanted a switch-in to grass attacks, and initially used roselia, but switched to vileplume to better cover shiftry, and to provide worry seed to reduce my malamar weakness. Rhydon was another natural addition, as it can provide a fairly good normal/flying check, in addition to letting me set up stealth rocks. After this, I wanted some sort of hazard control, and a good ice check, and cryogonal was a nice fit for both of those criterion. I chose to use safety goggles to help my matchup against smeargle, in addition to making it a lot easier to handle vivillon. Finally, scyther was a nice win condition, that covered enemy grass types, and provided a check to fighting types and malamar.

Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Worry Seed

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost
This seems like a decent semi stall build by looking at it for the most part, however there are a number of threats which give you a lot of trouble. Most importantly, it appears you got a little paranoid of malamar and forgot about pyroar and combusken. The most obvious fix is putting on regirock > rhydon (you'll probably want a chople berry) since at least your switchin to pyroar doesn't just crumble to hp grass while still serving as a good normal and flying check, while gastrodon still works as and electric immunity, and scyther deals with malamar. Your team will still be irritated by wisp variants but at least you can deal with it without losing a mon every time it comes in. As for combusken, chople will allow you to actually take a hit from it and you can like twave/eq for a ton of damage. Alternatively, just dodge all of its attacks since combusken is a headache for you to deal with regardless. Even if you add enough sp def for gastro to check it properly you then can't switch into aggron.

Specs Mesprit 2HKOs your entire team as well which can be problematic since mesprit can easily come in on gastrodon and vileplume. Scyther will chew a psychic/ice beam and can just roost it off but if rocks are up then you pretty much lose a mon when it comes in. I don't think there's a way to make specs mesprit easy to switch into for this team without completely overhauling it (even if you go bulky cryo, if mesprit runs psyshock youre fucked anyway). Something you could try doing would be adding sp def to scyther (if you do 248 hp/84 sp def/176 spe, you have a very small chance at getting 2hko'd by psychic and you still outrun max speed base 95's). Running sleep powder > worry seed on vileplume could also be beneficial as you have potential to put mesprit to sleep on the switch which makes it a lot easier to deal with. I'm not convinced you need worry seed since bulky scyther's one of the hardest stops to malamar in the tier. Sleep powder can also stop garbodor from setting up spikes in your face, which can be nice since you really don't want gastrodon and rhydon/regirock taking poison damage.

Additionally ferroseed looks really annoying for you to deal with. Rotom can kinda set up on it but I doubt your opponent would want to stay in and potentially eat a wisp anyways. Gastrodon and vileplume pretty much give ferroseed free hazards which is really bad for a bulky team, scyther can get twaved if it tries to set up on it, etc. I don't think you need hp ground on cryo as you have a really hard stop to aggron in phys def gastro and it's not like youre touching hariyama anyway, so I'd probably go hp fire > ground there. You can also put it on plume if you don't want to run sleep powder.

Ludicolo and stallbreaker missy seem pretty annoying to deal with as well but you can feasibly deal with them, scyther and cryo can both chew a hit from full (although if they have like any prior damage they drop to modest rain boosted hydro) and kill with their stab moves. i imagine missy being able to put on a bunch of damage/wisp a bunch of things which is annoying but if you play well it's beatable probably.

Anyway gl with the team, hopefully you get some use out of my suggestions.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam/Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes

Skuntank @ Choice Band
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Punishment

EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Reflect

Miltank @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam/Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Rest
- Defog

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Breath
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Stall

-Hy, this time im bringing something different, and its the stall team I made after drops featuring Gastrodon. I gave this team to a lot of people to test it, and after positive feedback I decide to bazaar it since I myself went undefeated on ladder. I have 2 versions of this team and both work a bit different so ill describe the variations.

The main idea that I started with was to make a stall team without a Wish passer, which means all pokemon need to have some sort of recovery so I made a list of pokemon that have a good potential to be on team.

Building Phase:
  • I started with Miltank, which is my stealth rocker, cleric and ice/fire resist with reliable recovery in milk drink, a lot of stall teams arent that prepared for pokemon like aurorus while Miltank hard counters it, its also a good answer to abomasnow since they usually never carry focus blast, moveset is pretty standard and Evs allows me to speed creep neutral base 70s and +speed abomasnow by 1 point. I was debating between seismic toss and body slam, 30% of paralyze chance can be pretty useful on some of the common miltank switchins, while Seismic toss is still a great option to run over it so ill list it as option.
  • Gastrodon was the next pokemon I added shortly after miltank, most people compare it to Quagsire since they look pretty similar and have the same typing and high HP, but they are played quite differently and gastrodon obviously cant take on physical threats that Quagsire can with unaware, and gastro is pretty much a setup bait for things that quagsire easily walls. On the other hand, gastrodon still walls good proportion of things that quagsire used to and even things that quagsire couldnt, its also a great answer to shell smashers like omastar/barb and it counters aggron. Storm drain and ground typing gives this team a water immunity and voltblock.
  • Gourgeist was imo a must have on this team, its a hard stop to malamar since quagsire is gone, its a great fighting and normal counter, and Leftovers is always preffered here as it always evades 2KO from tauros life orb fire blast, I have a knock off switchin anyway and passive recovery is great to have if opponent is pressuring team in game. Gourgeist is a counter to SD samurott which gastrodon cant wall and it stops SD pinsir which is a big threat to teams like this. Moveset is pretty standard, foul play deals with setup sweepers and leech seed is a great support move.
  • Scyther was looking pretty threatening and I didnt have a knock off switchin and way to deal with mega audino yet, Weezing counters all of those. I usually run 112 speed on weezing, but its only for malamar, and as I already have a malamar counter Weezing is invested fully in HP and Def which makes it a lot more reliable as a wall.
  • Skuntank actually wasnt here in first versions of team but its addition made both teams deal with stallbreakers like Xatu/Mismagius a Lot easier. It also absorbs toxic spikes and counters annoying psychic types like musharna pretty easily. Weezing and Skuntank movesets are a bit different in both versions of team so ill explain the changes.
  • Sliggo/Cryogonal are last part and they play a very similar role since they are both sp.def tanks and check big threats like vivillon/lilligant for the team.

Differences:

• Team 1 is a played a bit more offensively, skuntank is choice banded which isnt a main set, helmet xatu and colbur has a lot harder matchup vs it and even if it skuntank gets burned vs mismagius/rotom it still deals good damage, + miltank can heal bell later. After you pursuit trap xatu and annoying things, weezing sets up toxic spikes and pretty much nothing can spin vs gourgeist. Cryogonal is lilligant/vivillon check and works well as spinner since defensive backbone takes on everything that threatens it.

• Team 2 is a bit more passive but takes on a more threats, skuntank set is also different from standard and since this team doesnt have a wish passer, I decided to run Rest for last slot on skuntank, its chosen over poison jab since i already have a good answer to mega audino in Taunt weezing (weezing doesnt run Tspikes in this version of team), and pursuit+crunch deals with psychic types. I generally despise defog skuntank because it doesnt have a good matchup vs stealth rockers, but gourgeist+weezing+gastrodon takes on everything that threatens skuntank and team appreciates defog support + trapping ghosts/xatu, altough it has good matchup vs garbodor which is most common spiker. Sliggo is chosen for last slot as it adds another special wall and hard counter to lilligant/hard check to vivillon+ fire type counter and dragonbreath/ice beam are preffered over Curse set.

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

This is a fun team I built around a cool offensive core of SD Jumpluff and Specs HW Mr Mime. Something I really liked about building with this core is the fact that they both complemented each other offensively, while also having a couple defensive niches that contributed to the overall build. I decided that I wanted to build a balanced team that could have some longevity and support Pluff + Mr Mime breaking down teams. I went with AV Lanturn in the next slot to cover Fire-types, as well as giving me a check to Scarf Jynx, which my offensive core finds very threatening. I went with HP Fire on Lanturn to give me another way of luring in Ferroseed, which helps clear the way for Jumpluff later on. Next, I needed a normal resist + a Psychic-type check, so I went with a standard Steelix which also gives me rocks. After that I noticed that I wanted something that could give me some priority, but also break through Steel-types, and Dark-types, Hitmonchan was perfect for that role, and it also gave me hazard control for Jumpluff. Finally, I decided to go with Weezing in the last slot to give me a sturdy switch-in to fighting-types, a defensive Malamar check, and Toxic Spikes support, which Mr Mime and Jumpluff love. Overall, this is a really fun team that I've had a lot of fun using on the ladder, and SD Jumpluff is rly cool atm.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I've been kinda messing around with teambuilding lately n' stuff, but I have actually come up with a decent slow offensive team that I've used to win a few tours recently. It mainly consists around punching holes as quickly as possible into the opponent whilst also keep decent momentum, so yeh.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
EVs: 72 HP / 140 SpA / 188 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

A few example replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-382968355
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-382957275
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-382983262

PS: idk if the lant evs are weird, change em lol

Hey everyone, I'm looking to post this team up to get some advice on it. I've been playing with it the past two days and enjoying it quite a bit. It's a spike stack team featuring mostly standard sets and is fairly straight forward to play. Two small things to take note are that I built this team with Simisage in mind. I miss Sceptile quite a bit, and after seeing this post I felt like playing around with it. I've enjoyed it a lot! It surprises people fairly regularly, especially when they don't bother to look up its stats or move set. This all out attack set works great IMO, I haven't tried the NP set yet however. Second, I have Guts AV Hariyama over the standard Thick Fat to absorb Wisp as nobody else on my team wants to take it. I feel like my team needs some work in its last two slots, whether that be changing Hari to Thick Fat and putting in something in the last slot to then accommodate the fact that nobody wants to take Wisp whether that be a Heal Bell user or Fire-type.

I'm not really not looking to swap out Simi. I'll definitely take your opinion on what you'd run in the slot instead and maybe make a 2nd version of the team with it, but Simi is why I built this. At a glance I'm weak to tspikes (hazards in general) myself if Garb gets beat down. A well played offensive Mesp with LO also can do work on me if it carries Ice Beam/Psyshock, like whats my switchin?? Fire types can also be a problem, as Rhydon isn't the best check when they carry Grass coverage. Honestly it sounds shitty but the way I work around what I think may be a losing match up from team preview is just by playing better, but that will only work so much. I'm thinking maybe putting in AV Chan in for Hari, gives me spin and strong priority to clean up. Then I need to rework the last slot IMO. I thought about switching up the Aboma set a lil, Soundproof w/ SD+3 Phys attacks but I'm really at a loss here.

I knew immediately I wanted to go the spike stacking route, as Sage gets great coverage but is lacking a little in offensive stats. 98 both ways isn't bad at all, but it's often not enough to get every OHKO or 2HKO you need and I'm not even fully investing. So I started out with these three. Standard defensive Garb who's EVs I stole from Lucian, Simisage and my spin blocker of choice, Rotom. I went with Sitrus Rotom because I knew there would be quite a bit of pressure on it from the get-go, and so far Sitrus has made things much easier for me. It's made switching in much easier and has netted me a lot of surprise kills. I don't feel like I'm getting much mileage out of Pain Split however, I find myself rarely using it.

Next up was Don and Hariyama. I needed a rock setter, a way to hit Malamar for good damage and a check to Normal/Fire so I went with Rhydon.

It's been performing very well, it's also been putting in work against peoples Vivillion's which for some reason don't run Giga Drain? All I've been against were mono attacking sets w/ sub+QD. Also holy shit EQ is so disappointing to use against Tauros. It doesn't do very much :/

Double priority Hariyama is my set of choice. Switching into a wisp, then clicking Knock Off on their Missy/Rotom is always satisfying. Alternatively going for the double priority on a weakened mon while burned will also always net you a kill. Pretty simple set honestly.

Aboma is kinda just thrown on the team as a last minute thing because I wasn't sure what I needed in the last slot. It gives me another water/electric switch in but often times those mons carry coverage to hit you anyways. See Manetrics Overheat/Samu's Megahorn. I've always thought TSpikes+Hail damage was disgusting, so I went with the standard wallbreaking set w/ Blizzard. Ice Shard cleans shop late game, and often I find myself stalling a match to clean up w/ this mon or Simisage. I feel like this slot is definitely my weakest and could use a replacement though. I'm just not sure which direction to take it.

Ultimately this team has gotten me to a higher peak than I've gotten in a lil while w/ my own team which is mid/upper 1400s, so I'm pretty happy with it despite it not being the best.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Gunk Shot

Rotom @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Last edited:

Hey everyone, I'm looking to post this team up to get some advice on it. I've been playing with it the past two days and enjoying it quite a bit. It's a spike stack team featuring mostly standard sets and is fairly straight forward to play. Two small things to take note are that I built this team with Simisage in mind. I miss Sceptile quite a bit, and after seeing this post I felt like playing around with it. I've enjoyed it a lot! It surprises people fairly regularly, especially when they don't bother to look up its stats or move set. This all out attack set works great IMO, I haven't tried the NP set yet however. Second, I have Guts AV Hariyama over the standard Thick Fat to absorb Wisp as nobody else on my team wants to take it. I feel like my team needs some work in its last two slots, whether that be changing Hari to Thick Fat and putting in something in the last slot to then accommodate the fact that nobody wants to take Wisp whether that be a Heal Bell user or Fire-type.

I'm not really not looking to swap out Simi. I'll definitely take your opinion on what you'd run in the slot instead and maybe make a 2nd version of the team with it, but Simi is why I built this. At a glance I'm weak to tspikes (hazards in general) myself if Garb gets beat down. A well played offensive Mesp with LO also can do work on me if it carries Ice Beam/Psyshock, like whats my switchin?? Fire types can also be a problem, as Rhydon isn't the best check when they carry Grass coverage. Honestly it sounds shitty but the way I work around what I think may be a losing match up from team preview is just by playing better, but that will only work so much. I'm thinking maybe putting in AV Chan in for Hari, gives me spin and strong priority to clean up. Then I need to rework the last slot IMO. I thought about switching up the Aboma set a lil, Soundproof w/ SD+3 Phys attacks but I'm really at a loss here.

I knew immediately I wanted to go the spike stacking route, as Sage gets great coverage but is lacking a little in offensive stats. 98 both ways isn't bad at all, but it's often not enough to get every OHKO or 2HKO you need and I'm not even fully investing. So I started out with these three. Standard defensive Garb who's EVs I stole from Lucian, Simisage and my spin blocker of choice, Rotom. I went with Sitrus Rotom because I knew there would be quite a bit of pressure on it from the get-go, and so far Sitrus has made things much easier for me. It's made switching in much easier and has netted me a lot of surprise kills. I don't feel like I'm getting much mileage out of Pain Split however, I find myself rarely using it.

Next up was Don and Hariyama. I needed a rock setter, a way to hit Malamar for good damage and a check to Normal/Fire so I went with Rhydon.

It's been performing very well, it's also been putting in work against peoples Vivillion's which for some reason don't run Giga Drain? All I've been against were mono attacking sets w/ sub+QD. Also holy shit EQ is so disappointing to use against Tauros. It doesn't do very much :/

Double priority Hariyama is my set of choice. Switching into a wisp, then clicking Knock Off on their Missy/Rotom is always satisfying. Alternatively going for the double priority on a weakened mon while burned will also always net you a kill. Pretty simple set honestly.

Aboma is kinda just thrown on the team as a last minute thing because I wasn't sure what I needed in the last slot. It gives me another water/electric switch in but often times those mons carry coverage to hit you anyways. See Manetrics Overheat/Samu's Megahorn. I've always thought TSpikes+Hail damage was disgusting, so I went with the standard wallbreaking set w/ Blizzard. Ice Shard cleans shop late game, and often I find myself stalling a match to clean up w/ this mon or Simisage. I feel like this slot is definitely my weakest and could use a replacement though. I'm just not sure which direction to take it.

Ultimately this team has gotten me to a higher peak than I've gotten in a lil while w/ my own team which is mid/upper 1400s, so I'm pretty happy with it despite it not being the best.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Gunk Shot

Rotom @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
You could try replacing Abomasnow with defensive Lanturn. It can be a bit of a momentum killer, but it provides an electric and water resist while also providing Heal Bell support. AV Lanturn is also an option, but I find it gets worn down kind of quickly and Heal Bell lets you play more aggressively, especially around Weezing which is kind of hard to break without Abomasnow (it's mostly up to personal preference though). It also has a slow volt switch to bring in Simisage.

Since you now have another fire check, you could try LO Hitmonchan over Yama to clear hazards and pressure offense with a stronger priority move since this team is kind of slow.

Overall really cool team, I like the Simisage. Hope these changes are helpful!

Those suggestions definitely help and are pretty in line with what I was thinking. I had thought about putting a Lanturn in the team previously but never did. I'm definitely gonna swap in both and ladder on an alt for a while. Thanks for the help!

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually tbh weezing isn't so annoying considering you're running guts>thick fat, meaning it really has no means of stopping you with wisp. You could potentially run single/double dance on your rhydon and make it a more offensive set, maybe trying to incorporate some sort of volt-turn into it too, as you're running a rather offensive team. Overall it looks pretty neat tho ^.^

Edit: Like slickhippo said, you could run lantern over abomasnow and give it signal beam, meaning you wouldn't need to run megahorn on your Rhydon as a malamar check; allowing for a DD set (and a solid wincon).

Last edited:
Actually tbh weezing isn't so annoying considering you're running guts>thick fat, meaning it really has no means of stopping you with wisp. You could potentially run single/double dance on your rhydon and make it a more offensive set, maybe trying to incorporate some sort of volt-turn into it too, as you're running a rather offensive team. Overall it looks pretty neat tho ^.^

Edit: Like slickhippo said, you could run lantern over abomasnow and give it signal beam, meaning you wouldn't need to run megahorn on your Rhydon as a malamar check; allowing for a DD set (and a solid wincon).
Sorry if my thing on Weezing wasn't clear, I was trying to say it would be a nuisance if you also replaced Yama with Hitmonchan. Sorry for being unclear! .-.

I also agree with what Yogibears said on Rhydon, a more offensive set makes more sense with this team, especially since Rotom and Garbodor also help you check normals (though this does leave you a bit more open to Specs Swellow).

Hah it's kinda funny that I either had a previous version of the time with those ideas or have thought about running them. Seeing you guys mention them reassures me/gives me confidence. I was running SD lead Don previously, it was a big help vs mono attacking MDino/Musharna tbh, although the iteration of the team it was on looked nothing similar to this one.

I've had a couple games w/ the LO Chan+Defensive Lanturn change and it helps quite a bit. Games aren't coming down to me playing better entirely- but rather my squad feeling more solid as a whole. I'm gonna swap out Ice Beam on Lanturn for Signal and change back to SD Don. I am a bit weaker to Swellow but it isn't terribly difficult to work around. Thanks for the help you two!

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Meh lanturn seems like it would make your team struggle versus fatter squads since simisage is your only real chance at breaking through them. I think there's merit in trying specs mesprit > abomasnow. It gives you a psychic check which I'd say you'd definitely need with garb and Yama on the same squad. Another ground immune is also nice on offensive teams like this. A set of psychic / ice beam / signal beam / healing wish is what I had in mind. Offensive waters like samurott and floatzel would still seem annoying but between spikes, yama, and healing wish support you have ways to outlast them. Hope this helps n_n

Edit at below: either works but Yama seems optimal

Last edited:
Meh lanturn seems like it would make your team struggle versus fatter squads since simisage is your only real chance at breaking through them. I think there's merit in trying specs mesprit > abomasnow. It gives you a psychic check which I'd say you'd definitely need with garb and Yama on the same squad. Another ground immune is also nice on offensive teams like this. A set of psychic / ice beam / signal beam / healing wish is what I had in mind. Offensive waters like samurott and floatzel would still seem annoying but between spikes, yama, and healing wish support you have ways to outlast them. Hope this helps n_n
I'll definitely give it a shot- specsprit is always super strong. Keeping things more offensive is definitely good because its what I'm more comfortable with. Another psychic check is great too.

Would you put it in the team with Hari or Chan?

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Jack (Gourgeist-Small) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 132 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Bob (Garbodor) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Timmy (Rhydon) (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Angie (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Heal Bell

That Guy (Audino) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam

Special Snowflake (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic / Reflect

This is a cute stall team I made with my friend Take Azelfie that's built around Gourgeist-Small, who is actually a really cool mon as it outspeeds a lot of stuff, like Kangaskhan, and can cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and set up Substitutes on weakened or resisted attacks and start Leech Seeding the hell out of everything, and against some teams, it's very effective at stalling out opponents while keeping itself healthy in the process. Garbodor helps set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes to help wear down the opposing teams and adds a better check to Fighting-types than Geist-Small and a Fairy check, and another way to punish physical attackers like Kangaskhan. Rhydon gives the team a Stealth Rocker and another check to Normal-types and a check to Flying-types as well, as well as being a nice wallbreaker with Swords Dance. Lanturn gives us a nice Fire check and a Electric check while also providing Heal Bell, a nice way to beat unboosted Jolly Rhydon, and a lure for Malamar as well with Signal Beam. You can use a more defensive spread if you want more bulk, but I do like the offensive variant for it's more offensive presence which comes in handy a lot. Mega Audino is the team's main Dark check and also checks a lot of other physical attackers, while also being the win condition with Calm Mind. It also can pass Wishes to the team members with no recovery, like Rhydon. Cryogonal finishes off the team by adding a Rapid Spinner as the team was really weak to Spikes before, as well as a nice check to Ice-types like Aurorus and various other special attackers, while also having reliable recovery. Overall, while stall isn't the best playstyle right now since Quagsire left, this is still a pretty fun team that features some really underrated mons like Gourgeist-Small and Cryogonal, and while it does have weaknesses, it still does decently well on the ladder if you play it right.

PS: Gourgeist-XL is an option over Geist-Small since it checks physical attackers better, which is pretty helpful, but it lacks the speed that the Small version has, and SubSeed is a really fun set to use, but Super is still a good option, especially since it has room to run a more reliable recovery move in Synthesis.

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor

Jack (Gourgeist-Small) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 132 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Bob (Garbodor) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Timmy (Rhydon) (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Angie (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Heal Bell

That Guy (Audino) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam

Special Snowflake (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic / Reflect

This is a cute stall team I made with my friend Take Azelfie that's built around Gourgeist-Small, who is actually a really cool mon as it outspeeds a lot of stuff, like Kangaskhan, and can cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and set up Substitutes on weakened or resisted attacks and start Leech Seeding the hell out of everything, and against some teams, it's very effective at stalling out opponents while keeping itself healthy in the process. Garbodor helps set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes to help wear down the opposing teams and adds a better check to Fighting-types than Geist-Small and a Fairy check, and another way to punish physical attackers like Kangaskhan. Rhydon gives the team a Stealth Rocker and another check to Normal-types and a check to Flying-types as well, as well as being a nice wallbreaker with Swords Dance. Lanturn gives us a nice Fire check and a Electric check while also providing Heal Bell, a nice way to beat unboosted Jolly Rhydon, and a lure for Malamar as well with Signal Beam. You can use a more defensive spread if you want more bulk, but I do like the offensive variant for it's more offensive presence which comes in handy a lot. Mega Audino is the team's main Dark check and also checks a lot of other physical attackers, while also being the win condition with Calm Mind. It also can pass Wishes to the team members with no recovery, like Rhydon. Cryogonal finishes off the team by adding a Rapid Spinner as the team was really weak to Spikes before, as well as a nice check to Ice-types like Aurorus and various other special attackers, while also having reliable recovery. Overall, while stall isn't the best playstyle right now since Quagsire left, this is still a pretty fun team that features some really underrated mons like Gourgeist-Small and Cryogonal, and while it does have weaknesses, it still does decently well on the ladder if you play it right.

PS: Gourgeist-XL is an option over Geist-Small since it checks physical attackers better, which is pretty helpful, but it lacks the speed that the Small version has, and SubSeed is a really fun set to use, but Super is still a good option, especially since it has room to run a more reliable recovery move in Synthesis.
Looks pretty solid, I think something to consider would be to add some sp def to audino and change to a more defensive lanturn variant (as much as it pains me to say it). Currently magmortar and pyroar look really threatening and can do a ton of damage with proper prediction. I can see you managing currently by doing stuff like double switching rhydon into them and threatening the KO if they stay in to take the damage, but its kinda annoying since you can't really go into geist since you just give those fire types a free switch and a chance to do a ton of damage to lanturn on the switch. Defensive lanturn and some sp def evs on audino make it easier to hold them off.
It also makes it a little easier for you to deal with offensive psychic types, namely specs mesprit and offensive xatu, both of which 2hko pretty much your entire team as is. Specs mesprit in particular comes in on garb for free and more or less gets a kill when it comes in. These changes won't completely solve these problems but I think it does the most while changing your team structure the least.

Gl with the team anywho

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Articuno Bulky Offense
Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SpD / 140 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 128 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Roost
- U-turn

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

Hey guys, here I wanted to drop a pretty cool team I've made and had some good success with getting 15-1 on the ladder before tilting and beating some good players in the nu seeded tour.
Anyways the team is build around sub toxic articuno which is actually really scary to face and so bulky its not even funny. It also has a great ability to help the sub toxic being pressure which lets it stall out a lot of moves faster and is also one of the few abomasnow counters there is in nu (unless you face the legendary rock slide abomasnow). One of the few issues that articuno has are bulky poisons since they are imune to toxic and freeze dry doesnt do much damage so a good partner to articuno is gastrodon, being able to weaken ground types and also helping counter rock types that are also a huge weakness to articuno and also helps against set up sweepers that try to set up on articuno since gastrodon can just clear smog anything that try to set up. Next I wanted some hazards and a fighting resist since articuno loves hazards on it side, so garbodor was the first thing that came in mind, being one of the best fighting checks and spiker in the current metagame. After that I saw a big steelix weakness and needed hazard control so xatu was a great option for this slot, being able to bounce hazards back and also check steelix with rocky helmet. I decided to use grass knot over heat wave since dual dance rhydon was a threat to the team if it started to set up so the less mons that let it set up the better. Next up I needed another way of hazard control since I have a articuno that is 4 times weak to rocks and just having xatu as hazard control isnt the best idea, anyways hitmonchan was a great addition to the team, providing spin and also some priority to check dual dance don and also loves hazards on his side since its able to 2hko most spin blockers with hazards up like rotom and gourgeist (not lord frillish tho). At last I decided to go with clefairy since I needed rocks, a special wall, something with heal bell, since status was anoying, a fire check and also a rotom counter since it looked very anoying to the team. And this cute little mon did all those tasks.
Threats:

Taunt Pyroar while not being very common is a huge threat to the team since my counter to it is stalling with clefairy and this gets canceled with taunt. Also chan can check it but besides that its a big threat.

While a lot of mons can check this mon and I have clear smog gastrodon malamar can still be a huge threat to this team being able to set up on a big portion of the team and just sweep in the late game.

Thanks to my friend Yogibears that told me that LO magmortar is also a huge threat to the team since it can just 2hko clefairy with some prior damage and also can ohko the rest of the team.

A fun game I had with finch for the seeded tour http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-170513

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm still v. new to NU so any feedback on my first team would be appreciated :)

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Protect
Basically before I started I looked through good cores to see if there was anything that looked fun to mess around with and I came across Cheryl.'s core of Specs Chatot+Specs Swellow and decided to go with it. I added Kangaskhan because the description recommended it and because I liked the idea of heavy normalspam while thinking that Tauros probably isn't the optimal choice of normal alongside this duo on a gut feeling. I then added defensive Garbodor because I wanted something that could lay spikes multiple times throughout the match without being a complete sap to the battle flow. I added Hitmonchan because I desparately wanted a spinner and because more priospam is good, and I added Ice Punch after getting bodied by a Curse Sliggoo which used it as setup fodder on low ladder. Finally I added SD Combusken because I wanted a late-game cleaner to take advantage of the sheer volume of normal spam. I picked Combusken as opposed to something else because I wanted something that could deal with Steel-types to try and reduce the pressure put onto Hitmonchan to deal with them, but ultimately I think that it is the weak link and would drop in a heartbeat if someone suggested something better.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Combusken @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Protect
Basically before I started I looked through good cores to see if there was anything that looked fun to mess around with and I came across Cheryl.'s core of Specs Chatot+Specs Swellow and decided to go with it. I added Kangaskhan because the description recommended it and because I liked the idea of heavy normalspam while thinking that Tauros probably isn't the optimal choice of normal alongside this duo on a gut feeling. I then added defensive Garbodor because I wanted something that could lay spikes multiple times throughout the match without being a complete sap to the battle flow. I added Hitmonchan because I desparately wanted a spinner and because more priospam is good, and I added Ice Punch after getting bodied by a Curse Sliggoo which used it as setup fodder on low ladder. Finally I added SD Combusken because I wanted a late-game cleaner to take advantage of the sheer volume of normal spam. I picked Combusken as opposed to something else because I wanted something that could deal with Steel-types to try and reduce the pressure put onto Hitmonchan to deal with them, but ultimately I think that it is the weak link and would drop in a heartbeat if someone suggested something better.
Hi martin, its cool that you like NU as tier, and normal spam has always been something pretty threatening, considering most teams usually dont have a long lasting switchins to pokemon like chatot/swellow which boomburst deals a ton of damage. Chan is very helpful here to help with spin support and a nice priority in case something sets up in a swellow locked into boomburst. Garbodor also adds a spike support that helps swellow clean up later game. However, not having a normal and flying resist, as well as a stealth rocker will hurt every team, which are considered a must have because entry hazards like rocks helps your team deal easier with threats like scyther,archeops which are pretty annoying here, as well as lot of other threats. DD rhydon after a boost can 6 0 your entire team because you have no ground resist. I wont go and tell you which pokemon to change and whatnot, but be sure to try pokemon like steelix, poliwrath, gastrodon,claydol,ferroseed and play around with team.
Gl in future,hit me up in game if u need help with team :]

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Combusken @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Protect
Ngl I really like this teams idea since there are very few teams out there nowadays that require an aggressive playstyle to use properly and this is one of them, there definitely some things you could fix to make it better. Everything princelucian said about the team is true although I'm not sure I agree with the mons suggestions outside of maybe poliwrath, which makes you pretty weak to psychic types if you run that. The most apparent thing with this team is the lack of stealth rock. I think mixed kecleon would work the best on this team (set consisting of sr, sucker, grass knot, and fire blast with probably max speed, enough sp atk to OHKO offensive rhydon, maybe knock off instead of something else) since it gives you rocks and does a ton of damage to bird checks, while sucker allows you to not be deadweight against offense. I also think going kabutops or samurott over chan help since it gives you an actual archeops check and something to switch into fires. It's also helpful since a lot of people will switch lanturn into them for whatever reason and boosted megahorn and stone edge in general just crush it. I honestly don't think having rapid spin is completely necessary since generally if you play aggressively enough you'll either be able to prevent their rocks setter from getting up rocks or cripple their boomburst switchin. Going to tag Shaneghoul since we both have a lot of experience using specs chatot with no hazard control to see what he thinks lol. Also, make sure you change to impish garb.

Other then that cool offense team and good luck

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Combusken @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Protect
Like Vega said, you definitely still want rocks and a normal resist even on offensive teams like this. Because of that I would probably replace Combusken with SD rocks rhydon, maybe a set like this;

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

This set gives you rocks support + a way to smack around steels and fatter teams in general. Speed ev's outspeed uninvested base 50's (someone correct me if thats wrong, It's a pretty old spread) while the rest goes into attack and hp for a nice combination of power and bulk. Another cool option might be trying Aqua Tail on kang. It hits Rhydon for more damage which can be dangerous if it manages to set up.

Aside from that, pretty good team! Spikes + Normal spam can be really punishing versus players that can't keep up with the offensive pressure things like Swellow and Kanga create.

Edit: Everything Irish said is worth considering as well.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you all so much for the feedback :D! I will take it all into consideration, mess around a little with the suggestions and see what I think of them :)

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 96 HP / 244 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Signal Beam
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Decided to drop this really standard and easy to use Offense team I made for my suspect reqs. It ended up doing pretty nicely, going 32-4 on the ladder. Basically I wanted to make an offensive hazard stack team around Sash Jynx, a mon that just breaks open teams from turn 1 with Lovely Kiss + Nasty Plot. I decided to combine three deadly team archetypes in Sash Jynx Offense + Kangaspikes + Normal Spam to create a team that puts a huge amount of pressure on opposing teams, and aims to break down their defensive cores with either Sash Jynx, Tauros, or Hex Rotom. Defensive Garbodor + Regirock + Colbur Rotom give this team a nice defensive backbone, particularly excelling against common offensive Pokemon such as Tauros, Kangaskhan, and Archeops. I went with Signal Beam on Rotom to lure in Malamar which could be pretty annoying if it manages to come in on Regirock and start setting up. Fire Blast + Iron Tail on Tauros break down most common Normal-type checks such as Regirock and Ferroseed, while Kangaskhan has the standard Dedge/Fake Out/EQ/Sucker set. Not much else to say, as this team is pretty straightforward. Pain Split Weezing can be annoying if Jynx and Rotom are dead, but with enough offensive pressure you should be able to deal with it just fine. Overall, a pretty fun and easy to use team that I hope might help a few people trying to get last minute reqs.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Tauros Offense
Tauros @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Grumpig (M) @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast

Poliwrath (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic Spikes

Steelix (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

-This is bulky offense team based around Tauros, one of top late game cleaners that puts a lot of pressure on teams with its coverage and speed. I made the sketch of the team few days ago, and finished it yesterday, getting reqs on same day I started with 34-4 record. Team is made to weaken all of Tauros checks and help it sweep late game, and it executes the strategy well because everything in team helps Tauros in some way. It may give a balanced team vibe, but its played offensively, while still having a check to majority of metagame. This is also one of my first offensive teams without hazard control, which wasnt neccessary because nothing is threatened by rocks, Skuntank can absorb toxic spikes and everything beats or weakens stealth rock user/Garbodor.
-Team features some of the cool sets i wanted to try which is Special sheer force Steelix, and Lure Weezing with Thunderbolt/Toxic spikes that helps with pelipper/mantine, while still going with a lot of HP to maintain the bulk. With Malamar possibly gone next tier shifts, I feel like it could be a decent set to try since taunt wont be as neccesary.

Building Phase:

• I started with bulky offensive core of Tauros+Poliwrath+Grumpig. Tauros is speed control, late game cleaner and wallbreaker. Its rarely used earlier in game because it cant wallbreak enough to score KOs even with Sheer force and Life orb. Team doesnt have a lot of speedy pokemon, but with double priority from Poliwrath and Skuntank, along with Tauros speed, it performs well vs most archetypes.
  • Poliwrath is a great water check to pokemon like samurott,kabutops, smashers like omastar/barbaracle, and it can hit feroseed with focus blast which is pretty useful for water types. Its also a check to DD rhydon, and with hidden power grass its a great Gastrodon lure because its a clean 2 KO without risking a FB.
  • Grumpig is a secondary fire check and a ice check, CM gives me a win condition. Focus blast is great move to hit steel and rock types to help tauros sweep,Signal beam checks malamar.
  • Originally I had garbodor over weezing for a spiker, and shiftry with Explosion for last pokemon, but I changed it to weezing+skuntank. Garbodor used to give a spike support that tauros appreciates,while shiftry Ohkoed every hazard removal with explosion. Weezing+Skuntank is more effective defensive backbone for this team because ground immunity was important, and skuntank gives me more effective ghost check, secondary lilligant check, Pursuit trapper that tauros appreciates and a strong priority.
  • On first sight, team may look annoyed by opposing weezings, but with Special steelix+poli+grumpig+taunt skuntank, its not an issue. Special Steelix was added in the middle of team to lure rotom,gourgeist, weezing and 2 Koes them with flash cannon/dark pulse ,cleaning the space for tauros sweep.
Overall, team was pretty fun to use, threatlist would mostly be: manectric,lanturn,mantine. While building,I had them in mind, but with lanturn not being common anymore,manectric/mantine both being mediocre choices there shouldnt be issues. Rotom as electric type is easier to face because of pursuit skuntank and lure steelix.

Last edited:
my half reqs team (not counting the 3 times I used chickenpass lol)

112.gif
429.gif
503.gif
110.gif
107.gif
435.gif

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stealth Rock

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Hex
- Pain Split

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 228 Atk / 132 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

So all this originated from a dude in the RMT room who wanted me to look at his team. I was tired and didn't want to g othrough explaining everything so I just said something like "I'll just fix it and give it to you when I'm done." While building, I realized how solid Mismag+SpDef Rhydon+Mismag is and decided to build around it. So I gave him the team, which originally had a Calm Mind Mesprit on it (I think), and I decided to ladder for reqs with it. I got almost all of my reqs w/ this team + shadowtags' banded golurk team from building lab (plus 3 chickenpass games lol).

s/o nv who reccomended sd samu

So I started with Mismagius, Rhydon, and Weezing, which form a solid defensive backbone together, only falling to Offensive Psychic-types like Calm Mind Mesprit. To alleviate this issue, I added a Skuntank, the best blanket Psychic check in the tier, with one more point in speed to outspeed max speed abomasnow. Next, I wanted a dark resist that could take some pressure off of Skuntank and also serve as a switchin to crap like Abomasnow, so I added an AV hitmonchan, which also provides hazard control. At this point, the team lacked a solid wincon, so I added CM Mesprit. However, while an okay mon for the last slot, it just provided oppurtunities for stuff like Mush to come in and boost, so upon nv's reccomendation I added an SD samurott, which appreciates water resists being taken care of quite nicely by the rest of the team.

The primary threat to this team is 100% rain. AV chan can only take one pump, so It's usually a game of who saccs what to get another sacc in, which I don't always win.

Sun is covered pretty well by Skunk and chan.

Tauros is checked pretty well by rhydon+mismag+weezing.

If enough pressure is put on weezing, DD rhydon is a huge issue but samurott helps as a backup check.

I hope you like the team!

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse

Kingler @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Before I get into the team itself I would first like to give you all a little background on myself as a battler as this is my first ever post on forums. I go by the name BasedTurtleHD on PS and have been playing NU pretty religiously for a little over a year now. I have put in well over 1000 ladder matches and built countless teams. I have even managed to break top 10 on ladder a few times. What I'm trying to get at is that I'd like to think I know the ins and outs of NU pretty well. That being said I have used pretty much every viable pokemon with few exceptions within my first year of NU. One of those Exceptions being the mon that the team listed above is based around, Pyroar. The team listed above is a Collaboration between myself and another PS user who goes by the name Why's Bert Fat?

Pyroar is a really cool Mon with an amazing SpA and a really good Spe tier allowing it to outspeed the entire non-boosted meta bar swellow and with its great Stab moves in Hyper Voice and Flamethrower and its handy coverage moves in dark pulse and hp grass not much in the tier is able to safetly switch into this monster.

Now when deciding our second slot we needed something that took out Pyroar's checks while also having the potential to be a secondary sweeper. Originally I was going to suggest SD Samurrot for this slot as it is pretty much the premiere NU physical water type sweeper. However Bert came up the amazing idea of using Scarf kingler for this role and my lord has it put in work and made the team a blast to use. jolly scarf kingler is just able to outspeed swellow and crabhammer is able to 2hko most of the tier. super power and knock off are standard coverage moves and rock slide is there to catch bulky scyther switch-ins and 2hko it.

In the next slot we wanted to fill 2 roles at once, that being hazard control, and a grass type to complete our FWG core. Mixed Shiftry was the only mon that really fit the bill here but also brought so much to the team with its powerful priority and the ability to ohko things like tank rhydon before it can get rocks up, as well as a psychic resist and a secondary knock off user.

In our fourth slot we really needed a glue as we got wrecked by both yama and LO chan. I believe garb is the best mon hands down in the tier for filling this role and it also provides spikes and is our main malamar switchin and 2 gunk shots + rocky helmet + aftermath takes care of it.

Next came our rocker. This slot was originally filled by regirock, however the team was unable to stop momentum and I really dislike using such passive mons. So after a lot of play testing this slot was changed to rhyon. The main reason being we can prevent volt switches and by viture of type dombination between rhydon and pyroar rotom is completely shut down.

The next slot was the most difficult for me to fill and underwent the most amount of changes. Originally it started as Specs Mr. Mime however I was not a fan of its speed tier and noticed a lot of the team just lost to ground and lacked a special wall. So the slot then shifted to defensive CM Mega-Dino however again im not a fan of using passive mons and CM Mega-Dino takes awhile to get going. After some advice from the NU room the slot was finally filled with Sub-Toxic mantine which another mon that is really fun to use. completely tears apart stall and just creates a lot of problems for teams not prepared for it.

So with my somewhat lengthy analysis done I urge everyone to try the team out and tell me what you think. Im really loving scarf Kingler more than I thought I would and I hope to see it get more and more use in the future:]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)