NP: UU - Zero to Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well you guys were getting tired of a stable metagame so looks like your prayers were answered! Heracross is now UU! There are still a few things to be decided as far as the Tour goes. But the round ends 4 weeks from the time the ladder is updated. Until then get together with your buddies and try out new UU.

I'd like to lead off with a bit of caution. DO NOT spam this thread about how Heracross is too good and doesn't deserve a test. If you want to make this claim please back it up with substantial evidence gathered from actually testing. Have someone in #stark hold a few Hera UU #stark cup. Get some experience before complaining. There have been many situations in the past where a Pokemon has seemed like it would be clearly broken only to fit nicely into the UU fold. If you feel the need to theorymon provide strong theorymon backed up by damage calcs and reasonable scenarios. Me and reachzero will not tolerate posts that are simply unsubstantiated complaining. Thank you.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yup, still don't think Heracross will make that big of a splash in UU. Should be interesting to see how things go, I'm excited! :)

I was going to mention this in the other thread, but I'll bring it up here instead I guess. Flame Orb Heracross should be running Toxic Orb instead. After 2 turns, Flame Orb does more damage. After three turns, they're tied, and only after the fourth does Poison damage exceed Burn damage. If your opponent is letting Heracross stay in for four turns, you're probably going to win anyways.

I'm expecting a rise in Weezing and more Moltres in response to Heracross coming in. Hell, maybe even some more Rotom use instead of Mismagius (Let's face it. I doubt there's a Missy set that can survive a Guts or Band Megahorn.). However, my main thought is that Weezing will see much more use. I mean, the only thing that Weezing needs to truly worry over is Guts Stone Edge, and it can easily just Flamethrower the little bug back to hell.

In all honesty, we can expect things to be much more chaotic. I'm looking forward to seeing some more creative sets with Heracross beyond Choice. I think someone earlier said an Expert Belt Heracross to lure Registeel would come in. That could easily open holes for Poke like Venusaur to come in unhindered and rampage.

I can't believe people haven't been talking about a Substitute + 3 Attacks Heracross. That's exactly what I'll be running. Hitmonlee already dismantles teams so imagine what Heracross will do. He might not have Sucker Punch but Megahorn more than makes up for it, eliminating nuisances to Hitmonlee like Uxie and Spiritomb.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Substitute seems kind of overkill with toxic orb damage. I'm guessing you'll use Life Orb with it?

I can't believe people haven't been talking about a Substitute + 3 Attacks Heracross. That's exactly what I'll be running. Hitmonlee already dismantles teams so imagine what Heracross will do. He might not have Sucker Punch but Megahorn more than makes up for it, eliminating nuisances to Hitmonlee like Uxie and Spiritomb.
I entirely agree with this. Substitute + 3 attacks gives him a great way to cripple both stall and offense.

The main reason I'm posting is to talk about Heracross partners. I have a handful in mind already. Here are some I'm considering:

- Special LO Sceptile with HP Psychic. (lures and kills Weezing, weakens Venusaur, etc.)
- Pursuit Houndoom/Drapion. (eliminates the ghosts that resist Heracross' STAB moves)
- Life Orb Tauros with Zen Headbutt. (another Weezing lure, also has access to Pursuit)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I ever play UU, I'm either running Sub + 3 attacks Hera (<3 Sub + 3 attacks sets) or CB + a Pursuiter (Spiritomb).

It's ironic how me and locopoke both came up with similar ideas for teams.

CB Hera/CB Spiritomb/Venusaur check/Milotic check/Hera check/lead.

: Originally posted by Obese Kir
I entirely agree with this. Substitute + 3 attacks gives him a great way to cripple both stall and offense.

The main reason I'm posting is to talk about Heracross partners. I have a handful in mind already. Here are some I'm considering:

- Special LO Sceptile with HP Psychic. (lures and kills Weezing, weakens Venusaur, etc.)
- Pursuit Houndoom/Drapion. (eliminates the ghosts that resist Heracross' STAB moves)
- Life Orb Tauros with Zen Headbutt. (another Weezing lure, also has access to Pursuit)
Alakazam can also do this to Weezing and Venusaur. Man Heracross will probably inject more variety instead of the usual Milotic/Venusaur/Arcanine crap.

I'm using Pinsir as a partner (go figure >_>). It seems pretty obvious when you have a Pokemon almost as destructive in terms of sweeping power/movepool with the ability to beat Heracross's counters (Rotom and Weezing). Skuntank is my Pursuit user as I'm deathly afraid of Rhyperior setting up on a CBtomb and it also gets Explosion which is nice for anything.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm hoping it'll be possible to ignore the drop down of one OU and still do well with my current team. We'll see...

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ambipom also seems like it could check Hera in the way that Scizor checked Sally; you can't switch in, but Fake Out is hitting it like a truck especially if it's Close Combatted. I honestly don't think he'll be broken, but top-tier; status orbs and CC cut his nice bulk. Plus, his STABs aren't that great, and to rain teams he's just another thing to sweep past.

On another note the Ursaring thing surprised me. I've faced like, 2 out of 80 battles with my current team.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
fuck yes. uu is saved.

sub / 3 attack seems like the best choice, but i'll probably be running a simple choice band set. with cb, turns go like so:

turn 1: bring heracross in
turn 2: click megahorn

and ps scizor can swap into dragon dance / roost / earthquake / draco meteor / outrage / dragon claw / brick break, whereas ambipom gets fucked by any move hera carries.

rinse and repeat until cc spam is okay. who's geared up for a fun month of uu!?

Yep Arcanine looks like a pretty good check, Intimidate + a nice resistance to megahorn will give hera some problems in a similar vein to how it checked both Gallade and Honchkrow on one of my previous teams.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Ok, I have been using mainly 3 heracross sets with huge success.
The choicer is a great option, and sleep talk means it's a great venusaur counter (LO sludge bomb does like 40%, and it gets koed by megahorn)
I have also been running a bulky set with Sub and 3 attacks (low kick is superior to CC in this set because I don't want defense drops). Great moveset too, and it takes hits very well.
Finally, a Bulk Up set with speed for timid venusaur has destroyed many teams. After some bulk ups, it can sweep many teams, and it has Stone Edge to kill those moltres switchings.

What, do we have Heracross on Shoddy UU ladder now?

I predict (don't hold your breath) a huge rise on Houndoom usage. Houndoom and Heracross complement each other so nicely it's incredible.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok so CB Hera basically rips faces off, it 2HKOs Mesprit with NVE CC lol. Sub + 3 attacks sounds like another great one, much more effective than Lee due to the fact that it isn't shut down by Spiritomb. STAB Megahorn is just strongth.

man even though i quit pokemon i think im going to have to come back to see my favorite pokemon in uu in shining glory fucking stuff up. ive been trying sub +3, i think im going to use the item that powers up rock-type moves to for it to hold even though LO is great, it doesnt live as long as i would like. cb seems like fun, since its CB. but i think im just going to use sub+3. i think its kind of annoying though, how excited people are getting about sd flame orb, protip: it dies super duper fast after like one turn of attack, sr and a def drop from cc it starts to die to resisted moves. :(

i dont like how i cant use specstile with sub+3 hera though, too many stacked weaknesses. :(

im excited for this round of uu though :) bring out the HERABOSS

Ok am I the only one who can't use Hera on shoddy or what?

God teambuilding is a bitch when you haven't done so for months. D:

Alakazam can also do this to Weezing and Venusaur. Man Heracross will probably inject more variety instead of the usual Milotic/Venusaur/Arcanine crap.
No competant or sane player will bring a Venusaur or Weezing into an Alakazam. Are you bloody crazy? That's the sort of thing you send -into- Weezing or into a Sleep Powerless Venusaur. Also, your Hitmonlee/Heracross combo still won't break Weezing, who I'm going to say with confidence will rise dramatically to try to fend of Heracross.

its called playing with friends on cap -x_x

Ambipom also seems like it could check Hera in the way that Scizor checked Sally; you can't switch in, but Fake Out is hitting it like a truck especially if it's Close Combatted. I honestly don't think he'll be broken, but top-tier; status orbs and CC cut his nice bulk. Plus, his STABs aren't that great, and to rain teams he's just another thing to sweep past.
difference is scizor resisted both of mences main moves (outrage/dm) and both of those moves had very negative recoil. close combat and megahorn ohko ambipom, have no real negative recoil besides def drops, and are actually 2 very excellent stabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)