Metagame np: NU Stage 11 - I'm A Star [SAWK is BANNED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been keeping p quiet during the test so far, frankly b/c im not sure where i stand. also cause a lot of the talk in the thread was about sawk making the meta more diverse (lol) and rain which was an aids discussion in itself: it's just another playstyle people.

one of the big things that i saw people posting about that i think everyone is taking out of proportion is the whole colbur berry thing, "psychics / ghosts need to run colbur berry cause of sawk" which i think is just objectively false. w/ the number of good fighting types that are in NU and the fact that most of them have access to knock off as a coverage move, people were going to run colbur / they'd want to run colbur on those types of mons anyways: sawk or no sawk, and i think the suspect ladder's shown that.

that being said, i think sawk's biggest impact on the meta is that to me, it just kinda invalidates a lot of mons (that technically resist fighting) as quote on quote "fighting resists". now what i mean by that is, everyone knows that you need fighting resists for a team to do well in NU, that's just tier team-building basics. because of how strong cc and knock are from sawk, and because of its /above average/ (imo average is base 80) speed tier, there are a lot of psychic / ghost / poison / and flying type mons that don't act as answers to sawk (grumpig / any mesprit other than defensive / any mismag other than defensive / offensive plume variants / haunter / etc.) even with colbur berry. proper sawk answers in the tier either need to have recovery (mush / geist / peli) or at least need to be able to chew a CC / Knock and be able to threaten it either offensively or w/ status from there (bulky zard / rotom/ def sprit), and i just dont think the tier has enough of those mons. that's p much why i don't buy the no-ban argument of "fighting types will still be good", cause i know that if sawk left the tier, the number of defensive / offensive mons that would be able to act as actual answers to fighting types would skyrocket.

another thing is, i think when people vote in suspects they try to compare the current suspect to any previous suspects in order to try and gauge "how broken" the suspect might be. i think the suspect that most people will be drawn towards making sawk comparisons to is typhlosion: for obvious reasons (both ridic wallbreakers, super strong STAB move, good coverage move etc.) i was very against the typh ban, but im still on the fence about sawk, even though they're really similar, for p much 1 reason only. as much as people wanted to say that typh only had non-choiced and scarf sets to play with, specs was really the only set worth running on it. in sawk's case, all 3 of its sets: cb / scarf / non-choice are all really good and all deserve slots on competitive teams. it's got that extra level of unpredictability that something like a typh didnt have (alongside some other factors like bulk / better typing / etc) which kinda separates it from the rest of the pack, and makes accounting for it that much harder.

tbh i think the best argument that the no-ban side has for sawk, and the argument that's keeping me tied up about the whole thing is that sawk's really a lot more threatening in theory than it is in practice. I completely resonate w/ this statement and i think it's true, especially because it hasn't seen the dominating usage of past suspects. in tournaments, i've definitely spent more time being worried about sawk in the teambuilder than on the actual playing field, because every game's different and sawk doesn't always break teams in half like it sounds like it should. even something like typh had a lot more splashability as a wallbreaker (even w/ its bad typing) i think mainly because it didn't face the utility competition that a sawk does w/ something like a hariyama or a hitmonchan. even though it's easily the best wallbreaker in the tier IMO, it just doesn't end up on a lot of teams because a lot of players prefer to use something w/ a little more defensive presence behind it, and i think this is something everyone should take into mind when thinking about their vote.

that being said, i think ultimately i'll be voting on giving it the boot. i'll reveal that i was one of the people who wanted to see sawk go up on the block most, but not because i had a strong opinion either way about banning it, but actually because i didn't. however i've noticed over the past couple days, i've found myself subconsciously defending the ban side when just talking w/ friends about it, and frankly after doing p much a whole season of building for spl, i'm tired of losing my hair in the teambuilder over this mon. i think it's set options just cover too much of the tier and we just don't have the defensive / offensive tools required to keep it in check like we once did (uxie / toge). its either that or i just wanna get rid of it so that every time i pm raseri he doesn't answer all my questions w/ san bawk, but i'll let you guys be the judge of that one.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
i've honestly been really unmotivated to post much when it comes to this suspect because i honestly see it as a kind of unnecessary suspect since i've never really seen sawk as broken (aside from when uxie rose) and i dont feel it restricts teambuilding as much as say samurott / [insert other offensive threat]. since i dont want to use this post to bitch about what i think should be suspected / what shouldn't ill drop a quick snapshot from a skype convo i was having with some other nu people just to give my quick thoughts on the matter:

[3/3/16, 7:24:16 PM] rozes: i honestly don’t see it as broken when it comes down to it
[3/3/16, 7:24:28 PM] rozes: its a powerful wallbreaker that checks a majority of the tier do to sturdy
[3/3/16, 7:24:38 PM] rozes: the lack of switch ins should never really be used as a reason not to ban Sawk imo
[3/3/16, 7:24:54 PM] rozes: because 1) its going to need to predict in order to get it to be as good as possible
[3/3/16, 7:25:05 PM] rozes: 2) having no switch ins is never really a reason to ban something
[3/3/16, 7:25:10 PM] rozes: look at BW Hydreigon
[3/3/16, 7:25:28 PM] rozes: i don’t even see that it restrains team building
[3/3/16, 7:25:36 PM] rozes: because you are going to need to run Colbur anyway
[3/3/16, 7:25:39 PM] rozes: on Psychic / Ghost types
[3/3/16, 7:25:42 PM] rozes: because of Pursuit
[3/3/16, 7:25:45 PM] rozes: and things like Hariyama
[3/3/16, 7:26:01 PM] rozes: and saying “oh i need to run a fighting resist on every team” is just stupid
[3/3/16, 7:26:20 PM] rozes: because not running a fighting resist when Sawk leaves is just asking to lose

like with evan's argument when he says "it takes away from slower fighting resists like grumpig" can be said about very similar mons in the meta like samurott which invalidates certain water resists such as cacturne / fast or heavily defensive lanturn are quick examples that come to mind that can't really handle sd rott when it comes down to it.

i've never really been good with longer posts like this so i hope i managed to help a few people that were on the fence, and hope we can keep sawk in the tier as i don't really see it as big of a threat as other people are making it out to be.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
The way I see Sawk is in a similar way to the way I saw Magneton. They both had a few good sets that could alternate and forced the meta to run "necessary" Pokemon. The difference between the two being that Magneton made us run dumb shit like Stunfisk and Quagsire whereas Sawk makes us run stuff like Colbur psychics which are actually good anyway. I played with Colbur ghosts and psychics on both ladders and my berries were always gone by the end of the game.

So I would say that Sawk is as centralizing as Magneton but its move set is not as unique so it isn't as detrimental. Sawk still is extremely overwhelming as a late game sweeper though and I do think it's a bit too good for NU. It's just usually a coinflip between successfully switching into Sawk and just getting owned since it has coverage for every single thing in the meta past Colbur Azelf or Musharna and I guess Mantine (I've seen it run rock coverage before as well).

In the end I voted ban because he look like my Dad.

i've honestly been really unmotivated to post much when it comes to this suspect because i honestly see it as a kind of unnecessary suspect since i've never really seen sawk as broken (aside from when uxie rose) and i dont feel it restricts teambuilding as much as say samurott / [insert other offensive threat]. since i dont want to use this post to bitch about what i think should be suspected / what shouldn't ill drop a quick snapshot from a skype convo i was having with some other nu people just to give my quick thoughts on the matter:

[3/3/16, 7:24:16 PM] rozes: i honestly don’t see it as broken when it comes down to it
[3/3/16, 7:24:28 PM] rozes: its a powerful wallbreaker that checks a majority of the tier do to sturdy
[3/3/16, 7:24:38 PM] rozes: the lack of switch ins should never really be used as a reason not to ban Sawk imo
[3/3/16, 7:24:54 PM] rozes: because 1) its going to need to predict in order to get it to be as good as possible
[3/3/16, 7:25:05 PM] rozes: 2) having no switch ins is never really a reason to ban something
[3/3/16, 7:25:10 PM] rozes: look at BW Hydreigon
[3/3/16, 7:25:28 PM] rozes: i don’t even see that it restrains team building
[3/3/16, 7:25:36 PM] rozes: because you are going to need to run Colbur anyway
[3/3/16, 7:25:39 PM] rozes: on Psychic / Ghost types
[3/3/16, 7:25:42 PM] rozes: because of Pursuit
[3/3/16, 7:25:45 PM] rozes: and things like Hariyama
[3/3/16, 7:26:01 PM] rozes: and saying “oh i need to run a fighting resist on every team” is just stupid
[3/3/16, 7:26:20 PM] rozes: because not running a fighting resist when Sawk leaves is just asking to lose

like with evan's argument when he says "it takes away from slower fighting resists like grumpig" can be said about very similar mons in the meta like samurott which invalidates certain water resists such as cacturne / fast or heavily defensive lanturn are quick examples that come to mind that can't really handle sd rott when it comes down to it.

i've never really been good with longer posts like this so i hope i managed to help a few people that were on the fence, and hope we can keep sawk in the tier as i don't really see it as big of a threat as other people are making it out to be.
Huh? Samu and sawk aren't comparable. Samu doesnt make cacturne bad, the prescence of shiftry being a much better mon does. And sd samu has ferroseed, vileplume, pelipper, mantine, prinplup, weezing can eat a hit and burn after lum, poliwrath, mons that are pretty solid in the metagame. So where does the comparison come into play? Sawk invalidates any psychic who dares run anything but colbur, has a coin flip on how to switch in because of perfect coverage and the mons designed to check it are forced to use a certain item to do so. I never feel that way about samu.

Colbur berry S ---> A-

So with the banning of Sawk, Colbur berry has fallen from it's peak of grace. Before the ban things like Musharna, Xatu, and Mesprit basically had to run this item in order to keep up with the meta, but now they're free to run other item options such as Lefties, Rocky Helmet, and even offensive items. And it's not even just Psychic types that now aren't forced into Colbur, you have Ghost types as well who largely love this ban. You're now free to run offensive items such as Spell Tag on Mismagius and Rotom, as well as bulky sets having the freedom to run Lefties.

While this item still holds a valuable niche for some teams, it no long holds the mandatory status it once did. This means bulky utility mons such as Xatu and Mismagius might make a serious come back into our meta, as lefties gives them some serious sticking power. Sub Rotom gets a bonus of viability too as Lefties are much more justifiable item to go for.

Over all, it's something you run 'as needed' now. It faces more competition from other items and is a lot less splashable now which I think warrants a drop from it's once dominate spot in S.

Last edited:
(Speculation abounds!)

Because of Sawk's ban, Colbur Berry usage will likely go down severely. Because of this, Dark-type moves will become a bit more spammable. You may need more than one Dark-type to wear down things like Gurdurr and Mega Audino though. (Hurricane Shiftry + Fire Blast Skuntank anyone?)

Onto other things, Sawk is basically impossible to replicate in terms of what it did, but there are mons that have become less outclassed because of its banning.

Hitmonchan (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Non Rapid Spin Hitmonchan is now actually kind of good. Well, non-choice variants (of non-Rapid Spin Chan anyway) are still outclassed by Hariyama and Gurdurr, but this is the closest replacement to Sawk in terms of a wallbreaker. (Other than maybe CB Hariyama but I doubt it plays like Sawk at all) Hitmonchan has a very similar movepool to Sawk, of course minus Knock Off (it can Pursuit I guess but by itself it's not a good trapper because most Psychic- and Ghost-types will stay in on it ruining its effectiveness) and Zen Headbutt (It does get EQ to hit Garbodor though so I guess that's something?). But in return, it gets priority in the form of Mach Punch. As for coverage options, Stone Edge, Ice Punch, and Earthquake work, and of course you can still fit Rapid Spin on here. (Though it sucks ass to be locked into it) You can run Close Combat or even Drain Punch over High Jump Kick if you're paranoid about Hitmonchan killing itself 10% of the time, but I don't really recommend it.

Another mon that has become better because of Sawk's departure is Primeape. Now, Primeape was never a bad mon, but most of the time there wasn't much reason to run it over Sawk in most cases. But with the blue mon gone, Primeape can now stand out with some notable features. It has two great abilities in Defiant and Vital Spirit, Encore and Taunt as support moves to annoy opponents on non-choice sets, Gunk Shot to hit Mega Audino harder than most Fighting-types, and U-turn for pivoting purposes. I won't just list one set, cause this thing has a few colorful options. (It gets Night Slash to hit Psychic-types if you like, but you're better off pairing it with a Dark-type or something plus the fact it has massive 4MSS is a hindrance to it)

I don't think colbur berry usage will go down very much at all, there are too many knock off users in the tier at the moment whilst skuntank, shiftry, gurdurr, yama etc all give use good reason to use it. I don't really care too much about the ban, but i feel like every time a pokemon goes on the suspect block, people ban for the wrong reasons in oras because they think it will "improve the meta" by having less threats. Simply putting it, it promotes lazy team building and the last time something wasn't banned, well, i can't remember. I think we just have to accept sometimes that you can't just ban everything in the tier because gen 6 carries a larger number of threats than gen 5, of course it will be harder to prepare for all of them but it gives everyone the wrong impression when banning something like sawk which really wasn't broken in practice.

I don't think colbur berry usage will go down very much at all, there are too many knock off users in the tier at the moment whilst skuntank, shiftry, gurdurr, yama etc all give use good reason to use it. I don't really care too much about the ban, but i feel like every time a pokemon goes on the suspect block, people ban for the wrong reasons in oras because they think it will "improve the meta" by having less threats. Simply putting it, it promotes lazy team building and the last time something wasn't banned, well, i can't remember. I think we just have to accept sometimes that you can't just ban everything in the tier because gen 6 carries a larger number of threats than gen 5, of course it will be harder to prepare for all of them but it gives everyone the wrong impression when banning something like sawk which really wasn't broken in practice.
Do people really ban for the wrong reasons though? Yes, it's kind of weird that pretty much every time we suspect a pokemon it ends up banned but honestly, we've only really ended up suspecting mons that were obviously broken and/or stupidly restrictive (might or might not apply to Typhlosion, Gallade, Sawk). Sawk might not have been broken in practice but you know, no shit if you used 3 checks for it on every team depending on which move it locked itself into. Having the Sturdy ability is really what put it over the top, being unable to be switched into (in theory but also in practice, unless you get every prediction right) and being unable to be revenged with no hazards on the field are 2 things that just honestly should not be on a single pokemon. And honestly I'm really looking forward to running anything but Colbur on my offensive psychic/ghost types or hell, using those in general, which hasn't been possible with the combined pressure of Sawk + Skunk. And do Yama/Gurdurr give enough reason to use Colbur? Yea they do, but they don't make it absolutely mandatory on every pokemon. I haven't seen a non-colbur psychic for months, at least used by decent players. Obviously that's not only Sawk's fault and it's only a part of what imo made Sawk unhealthy but everyone got so caught up on it fsr. Yes, Sawk isn't that broken in practice, but that's because we all overprepare for it. I don't think that's too hard to see.

I am looking forward to seeing a Sawkless metagame and possibly suspecting a different threat after which we might actually see a fun, balanced and new NU metagame. Cheers to that.

Okay so can we suspect sceptile now please?
I don't think there needs to be much discussion here, it does everything from physical to special with an absurdly good movepool and has a fucking blazing speed tier that nothing bar swellow and scarfers get anywhere close to. There is literally 0 reason to not run it on every team unless you regularly play a sliggoo and it has more sets and versatility than any other mon in this tier.
  • sub life orb
  • 4 attacks leaf storm
  • sd 3 attacks
  • sub seed
  • sub sd
  • specs
  • etc etc
4 attacks being most popular, has the ability to beat all checks with its wide movepool of leaf storm / focus / hp ice / rock slide / eq; whilst guessing which one your opponent doesn't have is a game of hit and miss, since all coverage options are extremely viable. Pair this sort of coverage with a blazing 120 speed and a 105 special attack, you've got a shitty and stale nu meta!

No matter how much "settling" the meta will provide, it doesn't change the fact that it's just broken, so can we just suspect it already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)