Nintendo Switch

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i'm not sure why people are complaining about the $300 price point when that's actually fairly low for a new console

disregarding that, my hype for the switch died almost completely when i heard about the paid online and the nonexistent launch library, and seeing the price points for the controllers hasn't helped any

especially given that you'll need to shell out another $50 or so to play it with a proper controller.
actually, the Pro Controller is apparently $70. C'mon Nintendo, this sort of gouging is on par with Vita memory card prices.

i'm not sure why people are complaining about the $300 price point when that's actually fairly low for a new console
there were a couple rumors of it being $250 and it being at a price point between console and portable seems reasonable since it's a hybrid of both. It makes sense to go for a higher initial price point though, you can price it higher to start and then lower it but you can't really do the reverse.

Sigh. If you ask me about the ones that are doubtful about the switch, "Please don't judge it impulsively just yet. Give it a grace period."

Anyway, here are my impressions:

a. In a time where home consoles are somewhat mutating into an Arcade Virtual Gaming Machine using these new VR technologies, which I respect, consoles are starting to further discourage me to buy another one. The only console I have left with me is the Wii which I got in 2010. Though stuffed in my box and in a bag due to college, I still enjoy it so well whenever I play it. Especially Skyward Sword, Wii Sports, and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. The hybridization of home console to portable now has my curiosity really high. I'm interested to see it's potential. Joy-Cons may be a gray area I have yet to experience hands on. In the technical aspect, as a dedicated portable gamer with my 2DS and a bit of mobile phones, I'm not sure just how ... interesting would it be the moment I get to have my own job or business. Even smaller time to play once I have work to earn money. With the 2DS, I can at least play one game anywhere and play others at home.

b. In terms of launch titles, I don't care much because I can't get it on launch day cause of college. Gotta graduate in my last semester first. Then I get a lot of time for gaming.

Pilo

uses walther

disregarding that, my hype for the switch died almost completely when i heard about the paid online and the nonexistent launch library, and seeing the price points for the controllers hasn't helped any
I don't think it's so much the price of the console which is generous enough as is but rather the accessories: joycons are $50 each or $80 together, pro controllers are $70 and docks are $90. Shame they're so expensive really, especially the joycons since it looks like they make ARMS a lot easier to play. On the topic of arms, man does it look fun, it's definitely a promising new IP and I really like the rock, paper, scissors style of fighting game they're going for where matches are decided by quick reaction time and good thinking, too bad it's not a launch title, though.

On the topic of launch titles, I feel that the switches launch lineup is rather mediocre bar BOTW which is a shame since I feel that with the inclusion of Super Mario Odyssey this could have easily been one of Nintendo's strongest launches in a while. I think it's a bit odd that SMO is being released so late after the console's launch (December 2017!!) since it and BOTW combined could have pushed tons more units, especially if they were bundled with the systems.

Was going to get this at launch but after the price reveals it's a definite no for now. Will settle for Breath of the Wild on Wii U. Had a blast on the Wii U with Xenoblade Chronicles X and it looks at least as good as that so can't wait.
I don't see this thing taking off (not sure why Nintendo does either) but will still get one when the price is inevitably forced to drop, which should be at least just in time for Mario Odyssey.

Mobile gaming is huge in Japan, so it has a good chance of taking off. The PS4 still took off despite a very weak launch line up, and indeed weak line up for the first year. It didn't get any good exclusives until Bloodbourne. As fo people saying it's having a weak first year - we're not even 3 weeks into 2017 yet and you're writing it off? Anyway, there's a Pokemon game coming to it as well, probably in 2017 codenamed Pokemon Stars, and Pokemon games sell like hot cakes. From what I've read it seems to be an expansion of Sun / Moon akin to Yellow, Crystal and the like. Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version . Hopefully that one will include move tutors, Super Training and more Pokemon.

The Switch will be booty just like the Wii-U is, it's way too expensive and the amount of games for it given the amount of tags is lack luster.

I think the Wii-U total has like 4-5 good games, I still don't understand why they'd make sure a mediocre new one.

Still way cheaper than a new XBox one or PS4 and again were not even a month into 2017 yet so we don't know what games are coming. You people saying it's going to tank are hilarious - can I borrow your magic Crystal ball?

I think this system will be like the 3DS, where the launch and first year were fairly weak, but its subsequent years had significantly more games, especially since Nintendo will be forced to develop games for one system rather than 2. And honestly, I feel like Nintendo's first year line up for the Switch is noticeably better than the Wii U and 3ds's first years combined since they have a lot system sellers that people will dedicate more time playing. They don't have Smash, but games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Zelda Breathe of the Wild are games I feel people will spend noticeably more time playing than a lot of the Wii U's 2012 and 2013 games. That being said, buying the Switch at launch seems like a really bad idea. I think I'll either wait for my birthday in May or Christmas to buy one.

No More Heroes 3 is really all I needed tbh
No kidding, a friend of mine never heard of Suda51 and I wanted to smack him.

Anyways, I think I'm going to be in the batch that will buy the Switch once a good bundle (or preferred bundle, ala inevitable Pokemon Stars one) appears. The pay to play online aspect is sucky, yes the other two do it, but given Nintendo can't even do a decent free service for the last how many years, I have no faith in their ability to actually put together any good one even with the gamers paying for it, it screams cash grab for me. They're doing good by at least getting 1 AAA title lined up for launch with LoZ, but eh, LoZ for me is something I'll usually pass on until the price drops, I just can't get into them ever since OOT and MM personally. Granted this was just sort of a preview, I'm sure some other games will come out with launch, but then again given Nintendo's inability to actually mass produce consoles to satisfy initial demand before ramping it down some, yeah...they'll be more games sitting on shelves since no one will be able to buy the console to play it until winter probably.

Couple of things I'm still wanting to know, like the build quality; it still looks like a plastic shell that's just thinner than the Wii U, which is a slight turnoff in that you sorta expect something a little tougher or at least more fancy given it's $300. It's nice they're finally moving to capacitive touch screens, but what games will actually use it, unless it's meant to be more navigational? Presumably it will get the usual host of video streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc, and allow for internet browsing, but they didn't really confirm that or what the home menu will be like...will they go all app-store on us or someone will just end up hacking Android to sideload on it or something probably.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nintendo's hardware is pretty well known for being quite resilient, though, even if they sometimes don't look the part. They have a long history of their consoles and handhelds being extremely durable and capable of surviving a supposed drop from the dinner table or something such as being stepped on or something. They also last for quite a long time and many of their older consoles have been able to withstand the test of time (the NES is sort of shaky mostly by virtue of the cartridge slot's placement and the notoriety of it sometimes not reading the carts). Nintendo hardware is generally very tough as far as build quality goes, so the Switch probably isn't that much different, even though it's basically a plastic shell I think it's probably going to be quite durable. The most fragile console they've ever made is the DS Lite, but even that was relatively resilient and mostly only suffered from the hinges being somewhat fragile (mine's still in one piece though and still workable even after eight-nine years!).

So I think the build quality of the Switch should be pretty solid, Nintendo generally makes their hardware quite hardy and resilient even if some of their consoles don't really look the part.

Just saw the Fire Emblem Direct today - in addition to Fire Emblem Warriors, there's also going to be a main series Fire Emblem game on the Switch coming in 2018. The first FE game to come to home a home console in a decade in fact. Nothing known about it yet - it's codenamed Fire Emblem Switch. Some things I want: Branching Promotions, Marriage and Children, Personal Skills, the Fates Weapon Triangle, an Avatar and a fully orchestral soundtrack.

I think I'll ask for money towards it this Christmas. Hopefully by then they'll have a bundle, and some of the accessories will be cheaper. Honestly, I don't get why people are saying it'll be a disaster, right now it's looking quite promising. Remember, the 3DS had quite a weak launch line up, and now they've sold close to 60 million.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think the Switch will do well. The 3DS probably had a much worse start, and look at how successful it became. Just throw out a Pokémon game and get your install base.

Really pumped for the new Mario (reminds me of 64 and Sunshine, which is awesome) but I wish it wasn't a holiday release. New Fire Emblem games being confirmed is also great. Remember when that franchise almost died?

As my latest discovery as food for thought, I saw this video about the Nintendo Switch. But, honestly, Gaijiin's take on the Switch is quite the shock. Only because that this console was actually intended to be a competitor to the PS Vita. Yet, more importantly, I suddenly want answers from all of you regarding the video game culture of your country or city/state. You see, in this video, many Japanese have this "Great Presentation First, other qualities follow later" view on what video games must be to become powerful and influential (sometimes in other aspects of Japanese modern life). So this video says that the Switch is to generally appeal to the Japanese consumer.

Yet, I do not exactly know if majority of American Gamers also have a "Great Presentation First, other qualities follow later" like the Japanese. How about for Russian Gamers? Various European Gamers?

Long story short, I'm still seeing this the way I saw Pokemon Go: a truly risky Hardware Experiment that could go in many unknown exciting ways.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can you guys believe that it's less than a week till the Switch actually releases? It's actually ridiculous if you think about it, but anyways a couple of days ago, a guy got a Switch early by accident, he then unboxes and uses the console for which you can find the video here. The box comes with the normal things, 2 joycons, a controller handle (for the joycons), hdmi cables, a charger, the dock, and the Switch itself. He didn't get any games with it so he showed the menu of the Switch, which has the eShop and other settings. The menu has a dark mode which likely means that the themes on the 3DS will return so that's cool.

As for the story of how he got it. While it isn't clear, A retailer or someone else who got the Switch illegally and then sold it to the videotaker. He was then asked by the channel to unbox the console, for which he did. He later found out that the Switch he bought was stolen and decided to return the console to Nintendo immediately out of pressure and guilt.

I don't think Vita needs a competitor, 3DS already beat it into the dirt. With any luck Switch will do what the Vita may have been initially trying to do though, to be a console quality gaming experience on the go. I guess my main concern is that it's the successor to the WiiU, which was a pretty big disappointment in terms of exclusive games (will probably get a couple more but I own a grand total of 3 games for it, compared to 6 for PS4 which is still going strong). I like the hardware enough, bullshit price gouging for a proper controller nonwithstanding, and it's cool that they're going in a different direction to Sony/MS in a way that's beyond just controller gimmicks. For now it's just a waiting game to see if it can live up to what it's promising.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So finally, after almost 2 years of speculations and rumours, the Nintendo Switch has been released. Coming with the Nintendo Switch is Zelda: Breath of the Wild and already, it has been considered to be one of the best video games in the last decade and will almost surely win the title of Game of the Year 2017. Just to show how amazing this game is, here are a bunch of reviewers praising this game. I Honestly might actually buy the Switch early and at full price if BotW is said to be this good.

It was a fun speculatory ride for the Switch and I just hope this console is worth it and ships more units than at least the N64.

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I can confirm the Breath of the Wild is amazing. I have spent every moment not at work playing this game and have still barely scratched the surface.
It's as if Zelda and Elder Scrolls had a baby to make the perfect open world adventure.

I only wish there were some sort of 2-player side modes. Not even the main quest. Just side modes to show off the Switch's feature of having two Joycon used as individual controllers.

Pilo

uses walther
I initially bought Breath of the Wild on a whim simply because everyone I knew was buying it not really expecting too much since I'm not the most avid Zelda fan, that didn't stop Breath of the Wild from completely blowing me away, though. The game was absolutely breathtaking all the way from the detailed and polished graphics and well thought out artistic design down to the spot on gameplay. Speaking of gameplay, Breath of the Wild plays like no other Zelda game I've owned before, the controls took a bit of time to get used to but I still enjoyed the game nonetheless. One of the game's greatest assets, in my opinion, was the open map which lent itself well to the experience and gave a sense of freedom which is not so easily achieved, especially in other Zelda games. A largely unintended effect of the game's nonlinearity is the lack of focus on puzzles which are segregated into small segments otherwise known as shrines and not too complicated for the most part. This makes for a much more combat driven rather than puzzle-based experience which is largely a product of the concept Nintendo was going for but still something I can get behind and. This is a game that anyone, even people who don't typically like Zelda will probably be able to get down to and quite frankly a masterpiece. Please do yourself a favour and buy this game ASAP.

Bought my copy yesterday logged about 4 hours so far - completely agree with you its epuc. I'm just having a blast climbing to the highest places and paragliding down.

I'm playing the Wii-u version and it runs absolutely fine despite some minor hiccups

Definitely the console on my list to get after Graduation. As much as I want to play that now, college graduation is a high priority because college is no slouch in your time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)