Sports NFL Thread: 2024-25 Season

There still isn't a new NFL thread after the first round of the draft, so I'm taking it upon myself to do the honors. How was the first night of the draft for your team? Did they make the moves you were hoping for? Are you a Giants fan who was really hoping that they would take J. J. McCarthy?

Personally, I'm very happy with my Lions. We traded up, selected a cornerback, and stuck it to the Packers in the process. I couldn't ask for more. Terrion Arnold seems like a great fit for the team, and I trust Campbell to develop him into the CB1 that we're going to need going forward.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
There still isn't a new NFL thread after the first round of the draft, so I'm taking it upon myself to do the honors. How was the first night of the draft for your team? Did they make the moves you were hoping for? Are you a Giants fan who was really hoping that they would take J. J. McCarthy?

Personally, I'm very happy with my Lions. We traded up, selected a cornerback, and stuck it to the Packers in the process. I couldn't ask for more. Terrion Arnold seems like a great fit for the team, and I trust Campbell to develop him into the CB1 that we're going to need going forward.
I was actually planning on making this thread myself, but I instead spent my time working on this:

1714109053899.png

As soon as the first round wrapped up I started working on my Round 1 rankings in tier list form.

• Tier 1: These teams took advantage of having multiple picks and used them to draft multiple high-end prospects that addressed positional needs. Typically, these teams tend to not have as successful later rounds (namely Round 2).
  • Tier 2: These teams took advantage of strong Round 1 draft capital to draft a single high-end draft prospect that addresses a positional need, but doesn't have the same luxury of multiple positional need picks of the Tier 1 teams. Teams such as the Vikings may also find themselves here if they had multiple picks, but at least one of them carries noticeably less positional value than the other(s).
  • Tier 3: These teams, of which there are several, either had too late of a draft pick to draft a prospect as high-end as they would have liked, or they had a good draft pick and did not address any positional needs. However, a positional need may still have been addressed by an existing playoff contender. Also, note that none of these teams had multiple first round picks this season, the presence of which may have increased their tier placement if handled properly.
  • Tier 4: The inverse of Tier 1, these teams either did not come into the NFL Draft with a Round 1 pick or they traded their Round 1 (picks) away for something else. By default, these teams have missed out on Round 1 picks, but that doesn't mean players drafted in later rounds, especially those that address positional needs, can't make up for an underwhelming and/or absent Round 1 showing. This doesn't affect their tier placement, but it is worth noting that I don't think the Bills's trade down is a bad thing, as I now have them as my frontrunner to win Round 2 outright to make up for Round 1.

Last edited:
I was actually planning on making this thread myself, but I instead spent my time working on this:

View attachment 627923

As soon as the first round wrapped up I started working on my Round 1 rankings in tier list form.

• Tier 1: These teams took advantage of having multiple picks and used them to draft multiple high-end prospects that addressed positional needs. Typically, these teams tend to not have as successful later rounds (namely Round 2).
  • Tier 2: These teams took advantage of strong Round 1 draft capital to draft a single high-end draft prospect that addresses a positional need, but doesn't have the same luxury of multiple positional need picks of the Tier 1 teams. Teams such as the Vikings may also find themselves here if they had multiple picks, but at least one of them carries noticeably less positional value than the other(s).
  • Tier 3: These teams, of which there are several, either had too late of a draft pick to draft a prospect as high-end as they would have liked, or they had a good draft pick and did not address any positional needs. However, a positional need may still have been addressed by an existing playoff contender. Also, note that none of these teams had multiple first round picks this season, the presence of which may have increased their tier placement if handled properly.
  • Tier 4: The inverse of Tier 1, these teams either did not come into the NFL Draft with a Round 1 pick or they traded their Round 1 (picks) away for something else. By default, these teams have missed out on Round 1 picks, but that doesn't mean players drafted in later rounds, especially those that address positional needs, can't make up for an underwhelming and/or absent Round 1 showing. This doesn't affect their tier placement, but it is worth noting that I don't think the Bills's trade down is a bad thing, as I now have them as my frontrunner to win Round 2 outright to make up for Round 1.
Decent list, but I feel like Tier 3 is too broad. Putting the Ravens and 49ers, contenders who drafted late for mild need, in the same tier as the Falcons, who drafted Penix Jr. without telling Cousins beforehand, feels a bit silly.

Last edited:
this been a fun draft - i come from a mainly Jets vs Bills rivalry family (few rando others lol) but i found both draft outcomes interesting and both make 100% sense.
both teams know it's a deep receiver draft.
Bills getting more picks and Jets getting a "learn from these guys(/insurance)/compete with and you will def play plenty" OT guy.
will be a fun year for the family seeing what comes lol.

the Penix/Cousins thing will be interesting -- obv they intend to sit Penix, but for how long based off Kirk's contract vs Penix rookie scale one?

Last edited:
the Penix/Cousins thing will be interesting -- obv they intend to sit Penix, but for how long based off Kirk's contract vs Penix rookie scale one?
Penix Jr. is about to be 24. They can't be planning to sit him for more than one or two years.

I have more thoughts about this pick, but I'm very tired. I'll write them up tomorrow.

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon

View attachment 627923

I disagree with the Broncos pick. They needed a franchise qb after Wilson left and nix doesn't really fill that role, and Zach Wilson sux, tier 3 imo

Last edited:

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
I disagree with the Broncos pick. They needed a franchise qb after Wilson left and penix doesn't really fill that role, and Zach Wilson sux, tier 3 imo
Also if I had a nickel for everytime the bills traded a pick to the chiefs and that pick ended up with someone who broke / will break the league, I'd have two nickels

Chiefs three-peat unfortunately coming

I disagree with the Broncos pick. They needed a franchise qb after Wilson left and nix doesn't really fill that role, and Zach Wilson sux, tier 3 imo
I don't know college ball, so I can't speak to Nix's ability. They probably would have had to give up a hefty sum to trade up for McCarthy after the Falcons took Penix Jr., and I understand why they didn't want to do that. Maybe the plan is to have him sit behind Wilson for a year?

Speaking of the Falcons taking Penix Jr., I think that I understand the vision behind the pick. Cousins is a good short-term upgrade, but he's coming off a knee injury at 35. He probably only has a few more years of quality play in him. In theory, it makes sense to pick up a young quarterback who can sit behind Cousins for a little bit and take over if he retires or gets injured again. However, if the plan was always to have a draft prospect sit behind a veteran for a year or two before taking over, then why did they give a ton of guaranteed money to the best free agent quarterback? There were far cheaper options for a bridge quarterback, and they could have used some of that money to bolster other areas of the team. That move made it seem like they were planning to go all-in on his swan song. Reportedly, Cousins wasn't told that the Falcons were going to use their first pick to draft a successor until they were already on the clock, and he was caught off-guard by the pick. The man has yet to play a down of football as a Falcon, and he's already being asked to mentor his replacement.

To me, the whole thing reeks of conflicting visions. I'll be surprised if this results in anything more than mediocrity.

The Lions drafted another corner. Not as exciting as the first one, but it makes sense. Last season, our secondary was our biggest weakness by some distance, so we're really locking it down.

Pretty happy with the Bills' draft class, though fans are going to be more insufferable than ever if Xavier Worthy ends up being a stud for KC.
I still like trading down and picking up a 3rd while still getting the WR that we obviously wanted.

Pretty happy with the Bills' draft class, though fans are going to be more insufferable than ever if Xavier Worthy ends up being a stud for KC.
I still like trading down and picking up a 3rd while still getting the WR that we obviously wanted.
The trade with the Chiefs seems mutually beneficial. The Chiefs want a receiver with hands for Mahomes, and the Bills need volume after shedding their entire defense in the offseason. Only time will tell if either party gets the results that they're hoping for, but I don't think that either fan base ought to be complaining right now.

I'm also pretty happy with my team's draft class. We filled our position of most dire need at corner, and we bolstered the offensive line. With how complete the current team is, it's hard to ask for much more than that. The only pick that I'm a little skeptical of is Sione Vaki, a two-way running back/safety. I'm not opposed to adding depth at either position, but trading up to do it has me raising my eyebrow a little. We only gave up a few late-round picks for him, though, so I'm not going to be upset if he doesn't have a huge impact on arrival.

Omar Khan had another killer draft and free agency period so my only conclusion is that STILLERS GAHNTA SUPA BOW
The Steelers are one of the more intriguing teams going into the upcoming season, to be sure. I have my doubts about Russell Wilson and Justin Fields at quarterback, but at least it's an effort to shake up the 9-8 status quo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)