NFEs in UU

What about Golbat?

It's base ATK is only 10 less than Crobat, Sp. DEF only 5 and DEF only 10. Sure, you can't outspeed EVERYTHING now, but you still have an extremely fast Taunt lead(Only Uxie outspeeds) + Inner Focus. Golbat also learns basically all of Crobat's moves...

I'm still experimenting with this.

Vigoroth @ Life Orb
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe, Jolly
Yawn
Focus Punch
Pursuit
Return/Earthquake

Yawn -> Focus Punch or Pursuit or Yawn again, depending on what your opponent's Pokemon is / prediction. Return is for power, Earthquake is for coverage. Bulky U-Turn beats this quite easily, unfortunately.

I'm think some bulk might help out this set, but I haven't really experimented with the EVs yet.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing around with Tangela in the sun and it's not bad at all. You may think Exeggutor does better, but Tangela has one perk over Exeggutor: Speed. The extra 5 Base Speed allows Tangela to outspeed Scarf Moltres and Scarfed Base 95s and either put them to Sleep or in Moltres' case, OHKO it with Ancientpower. Something like:

Tangela @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Solarbeam/Energy Ball
-Ancientpower
-Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice
-Sleep Powder/Sunny Day/Synthesis

It can take quite a lot of physical assaults with its great Base 115 Defense as well, so it's not totally worthless outside the sun.

I've been playing around with Tangela in the sun and it's not bad at all. You may think Exeggutor does better, but Tangela has one perk over Exeggutor: Speed. The extra 5 Base Speed allows Tangela to outspeed Scarf Moltres and Scarfed Base 95s and either put them to Sleep or in Moltres' case, OHKO it with Ancientpower. Something like:

Tangela @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Solarbeam/Energy Ball
-Ancientpower
-Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice
-Sleep Powder/Sunny Day/Synthesis

It can take quite a lot of physical assaults with its great Base 115 Defense as well, so it's not totally worthless outside the sun.
Tangela's only advantage over Tangrowth is 10 base speed, bringing it up to a whopping 60... is this really worth it? I doubt Double Tangled Mess will really prove useful with so many other pokemon to use on a Sunny Day team after Tangrowth.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It does allow you to outspeed a lot more Pokemon, as I said, up to Scarf +95s, namely Houndoom, Moltres, Primeape, while Tangrowth reaches 436 Speed at most.

In OU i used some NFEs really well. My team included a Swords Dance Monferno, Choice Band Sneasel, and probably the most effective of them all, Magneton, faster than its evolution too =D

On the NFE front, you have Magmar:

Magmar@Salac Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe - Jolly
-Substitute
-Belly Drum
-ThunderPunch
-Fire Punch

10 more base Speed allows you to outspeed certain scarfers (Moltres, Rotom, Hitmonlee) after a Salac Berry Boost. The 4 HP is so that Magmar can switch into SR, Sub, then Belly Drum, with 1HP left. Not the most viable thing in UU, but runs a better Belly Drum set that Magmortar.

On the NFE front, you have Magmar:

Magmar@Salac Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe - Jolly
-Substitute
-Belly Drum
-ThunderPunch
-Fire Punch

10 more base Speed allows you to outspeed certain scarfers (Moltres, Rotom, Hitmonlee) after a Salac Berry Boost. The 4 HP is so that Magmar can switch into SR, Sub, then Belly Drum, with 1HP left. Not the most viable thing in UU, but runs a better Belly Drum set that Magmortar.
I've tried a Choice Scarf Magmar, running Flare Blitz/ThunderPunch/Cross Chop/Mach Punch(To punish/beat priority users) and I have to say that I'm quite impressed, the main advantage ScarfMagmar has over ScarfMagmortar is that has base 93 speed, which allows it to outspeed Alakazam and even Electrode in UU.

Also I have been using Electabuzz for a while now and its quite solid for UU, at some points it might be a bit weak but it can easily sweep or wall-break.

shrang

General Kenobi
What about Golbat?

It's base ATK is only 10 less than Crobat, Sp. DEF only 5 and DEF only 10. Sure, you can't outspeed EVERYTHING now, but you still have an extremely fast Taunt lead(Only Uxie outspeeds) + Inner Focus. Golbat also learns basically all of Crobat's moves...
Okay, I've tried Golbat for a bit, and a set with Nasty Plot could work.

Golbat @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Sludge Bomb/Air Slash
-Heat Wave
-Roost/Taunt

It's Special Attack is only 5 less than Crobat (Isn't that much, but just enough for an NP set), and immunity to Toxic is fantastic (Meaning you can setup on Chansey O.O). It's also has SOME bulk, while it's not bulky, it can take a hit. Speed-tying with Moltres is also pretty cool.

shrang

General Kenobi
Most Chansey's these days are running Toxic, but eh, that's for you, the Golbat user to work out if it has Thunder Wave or Toxic. On another note, I've also tried out lead Metang. It's not bad, but it's nothing too flashy either:

Metang @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD, IVs: 0 Spe
Nature: Brave
-Gyro Ball
-Bullet Punch
-Explosion
-Stealth Rock

This mofo is so slow that Gyro Ball 2HKOs Mesprit (Or maybe just because I was paralysed when it happened), which is pretty epic.

is dusclops viable as a spin blocker? in the 3rd gen, it was OU, and its stats are good enough
The only advantage has over Spiritomb is Trick Room. So as a spin blocker, not really. You are restricted to Night Shade as your only attacking option, and Dusclops is weak to Dark attacks

In OU i used some NFEs really well. My team included a Swords Dance Monferno, Choice Band Sneasel, and probably the most effective of them all, Magneton, faster than its evolution too =D
remind me of the time i used to run SD monferno on cresselia UU era, a SD mach punch ohkoed porygon-Z and SD flare blitz did massive damage on cresselia, 2hko all the time.

since honch got banned from UU a long time ago i have being thinking....did anyone tried to use its pre-evo?

remind me of the time i used to run SD monferno on cresselia UU era, a SD mach punch ohkoed porygon-Z and SD flare blitz did massive damage on cresselia, 2hko all the time.

since honch got banned from UU a long time ago i have being thinking....did anyone tried to use its pre-evo?
I use a CM Murkrow, yes I know know. >_> It's actually semi-decent. Piloswine lead is also pretty bad ass, as is Lum Berry SD Absol. Oh and I'll probably get laughed at for this but I use DDCroconaw and I've swept with it more tonight than I ever had in my entire Pokemon career with Feraligatr. So yeah.

thanks there, this is almost the same set i have being using the past days, but pursuit over hp grass and +atack nature instead, it really work wonders and brave bird hit a lot harder then i expected, the fact he is faster then hounch is a nice surprise to some players.

Has anyone mentioned Roselia? One musn't deny its base 100 special attack and respectable base 65 speed. Although it is largely out classed by Leafeon and Tangrowth, before D&P, it was fully evolved.

Has anyone mentioned Roselia? One musn't deny its base 100 special attack and respectable base 65 speed. Although it is largely out classed by Leafeon and Tangrowth, before D&P, it was fully evolved.
I could see it running a spiker/t-spiker set for those bored of the water-type spikers abundant in uu, but otherwise it's really largely outclassed by every other grass type, particularly venusaur. Natural cure actually seems pretty cute though. I might go play around with it and see how it works.

shrang

General Kenobi
Roselia's probably only useful as a specially bulky Spiker in my opinion. Base 100 Special Attack isn't bad, but 65 Base Speed is crap, to be honest. A set like Spikes/Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis could work, I guess, seeing as you can easily switch into Milotic and litter the field with Spikes and heal off the damage with Synthesis,

I've already posted Roselia in a different thread, so I'm just copying it here.
I've used Roselia to great success. What does it have over Venusaur? Easier on the eyes, and SPIKES!

Roselia @ Leftovers
Calm, Natural Cure
EV: 252 HP, 60 Def, 196 Sp.def
Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb
Leech Seed
Spikes
Synthesis

This is a staller/spiker set that has been huge success for me. Able to set up on multiple water types. Something those water spikers can't do. The EVs give it the most it can gain. The Def keeps it from being 0HKO by an physical attackers including Leafeon and Tangrowth while Rose can 0HKO them with Sludge Bomb. The Sp.Def means Bulky Milotic won't 2HKO Rose with Ice Beam. With triple healing from leftovers, Leech Seed, and Synthesis, Rose is going to last a while.

This set can definatly use help from a bulky water to take those fire types (they also attract grass types, which is a bonus). Dual Screens can also help to make taking attacks and spiking easier.

Awesome thread, I've uses Magneton with great success. I really wanna try some of these out. Electabuzz and Magmar look promising.

humm....you do know buzz can be mixed right? his atack is not freaking low by any means, he got WAY better coverage the manetric(eletric, fire, ice and a bonus of fighting too) and is not walled to death by chansey thanks to cross chop. in a pure special set manetric would be better but for anything else i would run buzz any day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)