Project Next Best Thing

Approved by etern | OP adapted from Pokeslice & Corthius which was adapted from SV OU Version | Hosted by yours truly, Shengineer

The death of Next Best Thing was… greatly exaggerated. The time has come to let the people cook!

The Next Best Thing is a project where the users can submit & search for various creative, but viable Pokemon sets, utilizing the power of various overlooked & unexpected moves/items, or a combination of both in a set. The sets have to have some sort of viability - nothing completely troll like Choice Band Blissey. The hosts reserve the right to reject any such sets. Please read the Procedures and Rules of the thread before submitting any set.

• Every cycle (1 per week), a new Pokemon will be chosen for participants to create a new, creative yet effective set.
  • All the existing sets (or WIPs) on the Smogdex are disallowed.
  • The participants will get 4 days to submit their sets in this thread - Friday-Monday.
  • Voting will be held during the remaining three days of the week - Tuesday-Thursday
  • All the winning sets will be kept in the Hall of Fame (see next reply).
  • Be as creative as possible, but your creativity must also show viability.
  • You may only post 1 set per cycle.
  • You are not allowed to take sets from Smogdex & WIPs.
  • Making some minor changes in the existing sets of Smogdex won't work.
  • Set explanation is a must.
  • Be detailed with your sets & replies as much as you can. You may also include replays, teammates options, threats, usage tips, & even a team built around the set.
  • You are allowed to reserve your set in this forum, but the reservation expires after 24 hours.
  • Please name your sets based on the moves & items, & not random funny names.
  • You aren't allowed to copy anyone else's set, not even the reserved ones.
  • You can't vote for your own set.
  • Creating new accounts to vote, manipulating others to vote for your sets & other such tricks are strictly forbidden. If found, you'll be banned from posting here.
  • Try to avoid double-posting.
  • If you have any queries regarding this post, prefer asking me or pokeslice personally through Conversations or Profile Posts. Avoid asking questions on this forum.
  • Follow the Forum Rules & be polite with other members here.
  • At last, the most important rule. Have Fun!
:mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Transform
- Imprison
- Fire Spin
- Knock Off
:infernape:
Infernape @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Temper Flare
- Endure
- Swords Dance
:Feraligatr:
Feraligatr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Ice Punch
- Facade
:Lucario:
Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 188 Atk / 144 SpA / 176 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Meteor Mash
- Shadow Ball
- Agility
:chandelure:
Chandelure @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Memento
:Iron-Thorns:In Progress

Last edited:
NU has been pretty crazy over the last month with a huge power shift, but it seems that none of the new additions have quite as many options as...

WEEK 1: MEW

:SV/mew:
Before Necrozma was booted from the tier, many declared that Mew was simply living in its shadow. Now, Mew is ready to take the spotlight! With access to more moves than it knows what to do with, I'm sure that you NU chefs can cook up something incredibly sinister this week.

The deadline for submission is March 24

Cm + Idef + Stored Power + Dkiss

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:sv/mew:
Mew @ Power Herb
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Meteor Beam
- Earth Power

Lead Necrozma was really good on hyper offense teams, and since it's been banned, why not do the same with Mew? The set functions exactly the same but naturally doesn't bonk stall as effectively. The only annoyance to the set is Bronzong, which isn't very common nor good in the first place. You can do Flamethrower instead of Earth Power if you REALLY think Bronzong is of importance, but coverage for Alolan Muk is greatly superior.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mew @ Power Herb
Tera Type: Stelllar
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Meteor Beam
- Earth Power

Mew is an underrated Pokémon in this metagame and it’s customizable pool makes it a great assets and surprise factor to many teams. I made this set on a Sticky Webs team. Stellar + Plot Mew is a funny tech that can allow you to win CM wars or surpass certain thresholds / calcs on certain Pokémon like opposing Mews, Calm Mind Florges, and Alolan Muk.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Ultimately been a long while since I used this set, but I'm still quite happy with it.
Mew @ Throat Spray
Timid Nature
- Psychic Noise
- Vacuum Wave / Stealth Rock / Pain Split
- Encore
- Earth Power

Fairly simple kinda idea here; Throat Spray + Psychic Noise gives you access to jank boosting, but boosting nonetheless, and Encore is an amazing tool when it comes to breaking through fatter teams as well as just applying offensive pressure with Mew's fairly solid speed tier. Earth Power is the best single move coverage when it comes to pairing with Psychic Noise, hitting Alomuk and Steels, and Vacuum Wave, while realistically not very good, does some cool stuff vs offensive builds, as well as being Mew's only priority move. There's also a very funny combo where you can Encore a mon into a recovery move, e.g. Wish, and then Psychic Noise will force a struggle.

Changed my mind after further testing:
Mew @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Psychic Noise
- U-Turn / Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Spikes

I am really loving this set. The ability to spike up basically as many times as you want a game, apply a ton of offensive pressure to basically every wall, and flee basically any danger is great. Some of mew's best checks are regen psychic types, which really struggle to effectively deal with spikes pressure, see AV Reun being put below recovery rate if you have both SR + Spikes Up, Muk-Alola, which will get chipped down fast by the combo of Spikes and Epower, and then stuff like Vap and Chansey, which hate taking the combo of Psychic Noise and Spikes. This set is just very fun.

EDIT:
Played more, U-turn is the best pivoting move for this set cause Krook is a menace, and it also helps a ton into tsar.

Last edited:

Mew @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty-Boots
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Night Shade / Knock Off
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp / Spikes
- Pain Split

Stallbreaker Mew is a decent check to fighting-types and CM users to an extent while annoying balances teams.Physical Normal Types don't like taking wisp while Porygon-Z and Meloetta are easy to account on building so both Night Shade and Knock are kinda spammable in conjunction with Will-O-Wisp and Spikes respectively. Pain Split isn't as reliable as good old recover but still heal a lot against defensives staples like Muk-Alola ,Slowbro or Registeel who spot high base hp.

I already shared my favorite Mew set in the general discussion thread, but here's another one I like:

Mew @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty-Boots
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic Noise
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Substitute

This set punishes fatter teams and a lot of moves don't break its sub after a couple of boosts. Registeel and Vileplume don't stand a chance unless they tera which isn't guaranteed to help most of the time because psychic noise blocks recovery.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
You: sends out Pokemon
My Mew: I am you, you do not do.
:bw/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Transform
- Imprison
- Fire Spin
- Knock Off

This Mew set will trap its prey, imprison their moves, and then Transform into them, forcing them to Struggle. I've gotten many KOs vs. Alolan Muk with this set because they never expect it. This set helps a lot vs. normal Mew checks because they won't be able to respond except for Struggle. This set also allows Mew to check opposing setup sweepers, such as the various Shell Smashers by Transforming into them to copy their boosts. Optionally, you could use Mirror Herb to further scare the boosters, but it loses so much longevity. Knock Off last makes you immune to Knock Off with Imprison up, even before Transforming. This set 6-0s stall, which is pretty fun (and seen in replay #3).

Last edited:
:ss/mew:
Mew @ Lum Berry
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Trailblaze
- Psychic Fangs
- Earthquake / Close Combat

The idea of this Swords Dance set it to get past bulky waters with boosted Trailblaze and Tera Grass. Earthquake or Close Combat allows Mew to cover Steel- and Dark-types, with Close Combat being an option so Brute Bonnet doesn't wall this set. Lum Berry is used so Mew can heal off a Scald burn or other status conditions.

So I had some small inspiration from my sub plot lucario and also wanted to make a little more intricate of an EV spread that isn't just some troll spread, so I present bulky sub DD mew

Mew @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 80 Def / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Poltergeist

Borrowing the lucarios sub+set up with unresisted coverage, I wanted to also make sub live a lot of the dark attacks thrown at it with tera fight, the spread has just enough speed to still out speed scarf infernape at +2 and at +1 you out speed even max speed talonflame so you can sub to block a possible wisp attempt, and sub lives 1 knock off from pretty much every user and even life orb crunch from lycanroc dusk, standard spdef alolan muk can't even knock out your sub with knock + poison fang or drain punch without near max rolls on both, so you can often set up 2 or 3 dds before it takes out your initial sub if they knocked into your tera and depending if they switched into your sub or were already in as you subbed, and if they have poison jab instead of fang it still never one shots your sub, and max hp also means chansey can't break your subs with 1 seismic toss, and the rest was thrown into attack to make sure you can do reasonable damage along with the high base power moves

Last edited:
Didn't know NU also had the next best thing, huh. Anyways
:sv/mew:
Mew @ Eject Pack
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Thief
- Spikes
This mew is meant to get up spikes in the early game, then pivot out immediately with a powerful attack by using either leaf storm or overheat to drop a stat, thus activating eject pack. Mid game, it can steal an item by using thief, and use powerful attacks that will seriously dent the opponent, maybe even picking up a ko or two or if it can't do much damage get more spikes up. Finally, in the late game, it can tera fire to deal massive damage and pick off ko's it shouldn't have a right to.
252 SpA Tera Fire Mew Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 105-125 (34.8 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tera Fire Mew Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 121-144 (33.6 - 40%) -- 31.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tera Fire Mew Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 125-147 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- 88.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Tera Fire Mew Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 105-125 (26.6 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-2 252 SpA Tera Fire Mew Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 142-168 (36 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Yeah, this thing is destroying most things. Even slowbro can't take the combo of Tera fire overheat and leaf storm if it is at 70% or lower.

I haven't tried this set once in practice, but the idea seems cool, so why not?

Mew @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Night Shade
- Toxic
- Transform

The goal for this set is to stop defensive and stall Pokemon. Super Fang to cut things in half, Night Shade for the consistency damage, Toxic if they have recovery, so we have to play the long game and Transform if we need better type or they tried to set up on us. Tera Fairy just for defense, but yall can changed it if you find a better type.

Nasty Plot Life drainer Mew

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss

Here we have a different attempt when using a NP variant of offensive Mew. Sitrus Berry is the ideal item because it allows an extra turn of set-up with Nasty Plot (two Nasty Plots are ideal) in order to use Draining Kiss and Giga Drain as main offensive moves. I think that Giga Drain complements very well Draining Kiss because it hits supereffectively specific typings (Ground, Water, Rock) and starts with higher base power than DK before Tera.
Earth Power is here for coverage because it helps to get rid of pure Steel, Poison and Fire-type pokemons that resist the dual draining attacking combination.

The EVs spread is a standard fast offensive one.

I'm gonna go ahead and close submissions for this week. Now, please reply to the thread with your vote for the next best thing for Mew! The voting options are:

HO Lead by Rabia
Stellar NP by roxie
Offensive Spikes Pivot by quziel
Stallbreaker by Elias PSY
IronPress + Sub by LeonLeeds
Imprison + Transform trapper by Lucario
SD + Trailblaze by Zangoose5000
Bulky DD + Sub by Diamonds_realm
Eject Pack by Heatranator
Super Fang + Toxic by PKQ
NP Life Drainer by nameless90

I will count up the votes Wednesday evening around 5:00pm EST. Remember that here at NBT we value both viability AND creativity, and with that, get to voting!

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and close submissions for this week. Now, please reply to the thread with your vote for the next best thing for Mew! The voting options are:

HO Lead by Rabia
Stellar NP by roxie
Offensive Spikes Pivot by quziel
Stallbreaker by Elias PSY
IronPress + Sub by LeonLeeds
Imprison + Transform trapper by Lucario
SD + Trailblaze by Zangoose5000
Bulky DD + Sub by Diamonds_realm
Eject Pack by Heatranator
Super Fang + Toxic by PKQ
NP Life Drainer by nameless90

I will count up the votes Wednesday evening around 5:00pm EST. Remember that here at NBT we value both viability AND creativity, and with that, get to voting!
I will take Rabia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)