SM OU Nen • Hyper Offense [1990 Peak]

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

nen HO.png

Hello, I'm -Latios-. I'm better known on Pokemon Showdown as Tempering! I'm presenting a Hyper Offense build that I used to climb the ladder from low 1500s. The team is overall simple to use. Prevent hazards from your side of the field, and use your several set-up Pokemon to win lategame or punch holes through teams. Many of the movesets featured here are rather unorthodox, but they each work as an element of surprise. Each Pokemon is nicknamed after a Nen category. Nen is the power system of Hunter x Hunter, which is my current favorite shonen anime. All of the soundtracks featured in this RMT will also be from Hunter x Hunter, so I highly recommend you check it out! Without further ado, let's get into the meat of the team.

rmt in depth.png

Enhancement • Dragonite •

Multiscale
136 HP / 120 Atk / 252 Spe • Jolly
Earthquake • Roost • Fly • Dragon Dance

Dragonite's role on the team is absolutely essential. Its Flying and Ground coverage is hard to come by, and it proves to be valuable. Most Dragonite sets opt to run Extreme Speed over Roost. Roost, in tandem with the additional bulk, allows Dragonite to potentially regain its Multiscale. This is nice when taking on a Pokemon like Tapu Koko. It can no longer spam its Electric STAB, and it's forced to use its Hidden Power Ice (assuming this is not a Dazzling Gleam variant). Roost makes Dragonite lose its Flying typing. The combination of being pure Dragon, Multiscale, and Dragonite's solid natural bulk makes Hidden Power Ices do abysmal damage. This can lead to additional set up opportunities, which may be vital against defensive Landorus and the like. Dragonite without Multiscale puts a stop to Volcarona sets that don't use Psychium Z. After setting 4 Dragon Dances, Dragonite has a 68.8% chance to OHKO Celesteela. Roost may allude to a less offensive variant. The presence of Volcarona could also make the opponent become negligent to the potential of Z-Fly, as most Volc sets use a Z crystal. Dragonite can also find set up opportunities on Scarf Landorus. Spamming Roost on Stone Edge is the main strategy when tackling Scarf Lando-T, as it does 34.4-40.6%. You run the risk of getting hit by a critical hit, though the opponent runs the risk of missing. Most players I've faced switched their Landorus out after the 2nd-4th Stone Edge, fearing a miss.

Emission • Charizard-Mega-X •

Blaze
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe • Jolly
Dragon Dance • Fire Punch • Earthquake • Dragon Rush

This features an extremely unorthodox set. I experimented with Charizard's set the most. The initial moveset featured Flare Blitz and Roost over Fire Punch and Dragon Rush respectively. Then, I tried out Outrage. Outrage forces Charizard to become locked in, which makes it extremely easy to revenge kill. I did not want that. I gave Dragon Rush a shot under the logic that most players choose Focus Blast over Aura Sphere. I wanted the extra power, and I'm willing to sacrifice accuracy.

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Rush vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash: 229-270 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash: 183-216 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 348-409 (107.7 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 279-328 (86.3 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Dragon Rush is able to OHKO TankChomp unlike Dragon Claw. Dragon Rush does about 17% more (based on the calcs above; not to Chomp). At the beginning of games, Landorus finds itself chipping opponents down with Rock Tomb. This does 16.7-20% to Rotom-Wash. If Leftovers are taken into account, then about 12% on average. Dragon Rush's extra power matters thanks to Stealth Rock and Landorus-Therian's ability to chip Pokemon down. If you still don't want to miss, run Dragon Claw. If you want to have a Dragon move rivaling Flare Blitz's power, use Outrage and get revenged killed by every Fairy in the game. Another odd pick is Fire Punch over Flare Blitz. Honestly, Flare Blitz is perfectly fine, but there are so many sweeps lost due to Charizard literally killing itself with recoil. Fire Punch does significantly less damage, and it is noticeable. If only this thing got Fire Lash...

Transmutation • Reuniclus •

Magic Guard
252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe • Bold
Calm Mind • Acid Armor
/ Energy Ball • Psyshock • Recover

This is the most flexible Pokemon slot. In the replays below, you may see games with Tapu Bulu, Clefable, and Tapu Fini. Before the addition of Reuniclus, Ditto was a major threat. None of my Pokemon could find opportunities to set-up without getting reverse swept by Ditto. Dragonite doesn't mind Ditto's presence, but those teams often had random Aggrons, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, etc. that kept Dnite in check. I experimented with a double dance Reuniclus, as it's a surefire answer to Ditto that may want to copy my stats. After that, every team I've played against had a Dark-type such as Greninja, Tyranitar, or aforementioned Mandibuzz. To help against those Pokemon, I tried a Cosmic Power + Charge Beam Clefable set. It definitely proved effective, but Medicham become far too annoying. I was running into Poison Jab sets and it just felt like I was getting counterteamed every match. Energy Ball has worked, but it doesn't ensure victory against opposing Calm Mind spamming Pokemon like Acid Armor does, so I have it slashed.

Manipulation • Serperior •

Contrary
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe • Timid • 0 Atk IVs
Leaf Storm • Glare • Defog • Light Screen

Serperior acts as a deterrent to Swampert. With Choice Scarf, it outspeeds and OHKOs, even in the rain. If its use is limited in a match, it'll usually just Defog, Glare, or be sacrificed to maintain momentum. In match-ups where there's a Ferrothorn, Heatran, Volcarona, Scizor, Celesteela, AV Magearna, etc., Serperior will often just Glare. I used to have Knock Off in the final slot, but it makes no difference. Knocking Off Celesteela's Leftovers is nice and all, but it makes virtually no difference for what Pokemon beat it or lose to it. The same applies to Ferrothorn, AV Magearna, and Heatran. I've never really clicked the move. There are so many moves that could work in this final slot: Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Ground, Hidden Power Rock, Reflect, Synthesis, Leech Seed, Toxic, Worry Seed, Taunt, Dragon Pulse, Knock Off. I've tried each of the Hidden Powers, but I've never clicked them. Ultimately, I've decided that Light Screen or Reflect are best. They're decent last-ditch effort moves that provide your team with temporary bulk. The lowest replay on the list below showcases how the random Scarf Light Screen tech came in clutch against the Charizard-Mega-Y.

Conjuration • Landorus-Therian •

Intimidate
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe • Jolly
Stealth Rock • Earthquake • Defog • Rock Tomb

In every match-up, you want to lead Landorus. If you fight lead Excadrill, Rock Tomb immediately. If they opt for a Rock Tomb, KO it. If they get up Stealth Rock, Defog on their Rock Tomb / Toxic, and proceed to KO it. The objective of keeping hazards off your field is more important than having them on the opposing field. I've played some stupid movesets like Toxic Landorus that prevent this from being a possibility. At that point, just weaken the Pokemon until Scarf Serperior can threaten it out. Explosion is nice, but Landorus usually just dies in the first few turns anyway. It can chip down Pokemon like Rotom with Rock Tomb. If you have an opportunity to weaken Ferrothorn, take it. The chip is vital for Dragonite or Serperior later in the game. Tornadus takes 50 or more and is forced to switch, fearing the 2HKO. You can either take this as a chance to get up Stealth Rock or Rock Tomb again. Against Greninja, just Earthquake. Removing potential Scarf Protean is excellent for Volcarona, Dragonite and Charizard, and weakening Battle Bond is also nice.

Specialization • Volcarona •

Flame Body
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe • Timid • 0 Atk IVs
Quiver Dance • Fire Blast • Bug Buzz • Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona is useful for taking on Magearna and teams that rely on Heatran to stop it. So many teams feature Scarf Landorus, which is slower than a +1 Volcarona and dies to Fire Blast. You don't know how scared I get when I have a boosted Volcarona and they bring out their Lando. If I miss, they won't think that the play they just made was absolutely terrible. If I hit, they forfeit after realizing how stupid their play was or let me enjoy killing all 6 Pokemon. Volc's usage is limited against teams that feature Chansey, Rain (Pelipper hard walls, and its Swift Swim teammates all revenge kill), Ditto, or Charizard. Greninja is not a problem once you have one boost thanks to Iapapa Berry. Water Shuriken, unless it crits, will fail to KO even a Volcarona on 50% at +1. Weaken Garchomps to put them in range of Bug Buzz at +1. Volcarona appreciates fighting Magearna and Kyurem as long as they don't freeze you.

rmt replays.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-922350999
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-922392431
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-922396629
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-922397139
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-922419573
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-922424750
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-923677311
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-925489142
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-925498204
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-926038155
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-926049628
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-924912185
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-924890238
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-926706253

rmt threats.png

• This is literally not a threat unless it flinches Dragonite / Volcarona or crits Volcarona.
• Zapdos annoys Dragonite, but it needs to paralyze everything to be a threat.
• Sometimes they just freeze you with Ice Beam and win.
• This Pokemon forced me to change from Tapu Bulu to Reuniclus.
• Usually unwinnable. Scarf Serp tries its hardest but gets destroyed by Ferrothorn and Tornadus.
• It just kinda switches around all the time with U-turn / Volt Switch. It loses to everything after they set up, but it gives so little chances to do so.
• It's impossible to stop once it sets up aside from haxing it with Glare.

This is a pretty odd team. I wouldn't call it heat, but I wouldn't call it standard by any means either. It's just some fun brainless ladder cheese that somehow let a bad player like me get to 1900s (I mean, look at my bad GXE to get an understanding as to how bad my account was doing). It has a solid match-up against a lot of the ladder. If you'd like to try the team out, I'll propose some alternatives below.

Attachments

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
My Guide to Using the Team
(and a bump for anyone who wants to rate c:)

The lead of the team is, and will always be, Landorus-Therian. I'll list what to do against a majority of the common opposing leads.

• Against Garchomp, you click Rock Tomb and follow up with a Defog if they used Stealth Rock that turn. Otherwise, Earthquake. Setting up your own Stealth Rock isn't as important as keeping them off of your side of the field. Clicking rocks as the opposing rocker does will only waste a turn for you. Against Mega Garchomp, the procedure remains the same.
• Vs. Excadrill, click Rock Tomb. If the Excadrill user clicked Stealth Rock, use Defog. They likely won't predict a lead Landorus to have Defog and will go for Rapid Spin, Toxic, or Rock Tomb. If they used Rock Tomb immediately, knock the Excadrill out with Earthquake.
• Against a Ribombee, you can't really prevent Sticky Web at all, nor can you avoid harm to your Landorus. Thanks to its ability, Shield Dust, Ribombee avoids the speed drop from Rock Tomb and can attack with a Moonblast. It'll get 47-55% off against your Landorus, while Rock Tomb does 81-97% in return. This is enough chip for Serperior to come in right after in case you go for Stealth Rock rather than attacking. Depending on the team, getting up your own rocks will be nice. (Webs teams that feature something like Thundurus-Therian, Sash Exca, or Pinsir will not appreciate rocks being on the field, for example.) If your Stealth Rock will not be very effective in the match, just try and kill the Ribombee.
• Just Rock Tomb spam. Chip on Rotom is appreciated for a potential Dragonite clean in the lategame.
• Against Scarf Landorus-T, you just get up Stealth Rock. If you can't tell what Landorus variant it is by team preview, just go for Rock Tomb. If it's an opposing Stealth Rock Lando, spam Defog against their rocks. Stealth Rock has more PP, so they'll naturally spam it. Mix up your Defogs with Rock Tombs or Stealth Rocks to try and even up the PP. Eventually, the opponent will realize your gameplan and attack, knocking out your Landorus and keeping Stealth Rock off of your side.
• Use Rock Tomb for some minor chip damage. Rain players make 4 different plays: (1) hard switch to Tornadus-Therian, (2) U-turn to Ferrothorn, (3) U-turn to a rain abuser like Swampert or Kingdra, or (4) stay in and Scald. If they go Torn, attack again in hopes that they choke and sack it. If they go Ferrothorn, spam Earthquake and Defog if they set up Stealth Rock. Weakening Ferrothorn is great for Serperior to clean. The rain abuser should be able to take a kill for free. In the version with Tapu Bulu, you can go out and click Stone Edge. No sane player keeps their Mega Swampert in on Tapu Bulu.
• Go straight to Reuniclus. There's no reason to just forfeit your Landorus turn 1 if you're using the team with Reuniclus. If the team you chose lacks it, though, go straight to Volcarona. You have a chance to burn with Flame Body, and you take low damage from Fake Out or Ice Punch. From there, go back to Landorus to further drop the attack. You'll die from Zen Headbutt to Ice Punch, so go to Tapu Bulu to stomach the hit. Ice Punch, at -2, only does 40-47%. If you burned the Medicham, stay in with Volcarona. Fire Blast will KO in combination with the damage. If the team is very weak to Volcarona, you can just Quiver Dance and attempt an early sweep. Your Berry will be activated by the combination of Fake Out + burned Zen Headbutt, though.
• Just EQ vs Diancie. People have some obsession with sacking it turn 1 or turn 2 after seeing all the Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock. You can easily Defog on the next Pokemon since your Sash should be intact.
• Vs. Ferrothorn, spam Earthquake and Defog if they set up Stealth Rock. Weakening Ferrothorn is great for Serperior to clean. If the Ferrothorn has Spikes, it isn't all too threatening, so you don't need to rely on Defog as much.
• Rock Tomb against Tapu Koko. Screens Koko has 2 plays: (1) Taunt on the expected Stealth Rock & (2) Reflect on the expected EQ. In scenario 1, just follow up with an Earthquake. In scenario 2, Defog and then attack, especially if it's paired with Hawlucha. If Hawlucha gets +1 from Electric Seed and has Reflect up, it'll survive Dragonite's Supersonic Skystrike.
• Not knowing if its Protean or Battle Bond, you should just Earthquake. Hasty variants (used by Protean) have a 75% chance of being OHKO'd by Earthquake. This is a guaranteed KO against Life Orb sets, of course.
• Against Alolan Ninetales, go for Rock Tomb. If they attack, follow up with Serperior to ensure that Veil is not set up. If the Ninetales user goes for Aurora Veil, you can Defog as you die to Blizzard or Freeze Dry. Then, go to Serperior.

Which set-up sweeper is ideal for each match-up?

Against rain teams, Scarf Serperior will be your best bet. Weakening or eliminating Grass resists like Ferrothorn and Tornadus-Therian will be key for winning. Version 2, the one with Tapu Bulu, has the best chance against rain.

Example of Serperior cleaning
When you're paired against the basic offensive teams like
1563490400745.png
1563488893181.png
or
1563488893181.png
1563489332158.png
1563490400745.png
1563492017275.png
1563488843897.png
1563491707906.png
Volcarona goes absolutely crazy. Thanks to Iapapa Berry, Ash Greninja can't revenge kill unless it crits. It's easy to tell that Landorus is the rocker on these types of teams, too, so play accordingly with your own lead Lando. Quiver Dance against Magearna and you should be able to just win or damage a lot of Pokemon at the very least. Mawile-Mega can be annoying with Sucker Punch if you let Volc take too much chip.

When fighting teams that rely on a passive Pokemon like Rotom-Wash to "check" Dragonite, you can find easy set up opportunities. There have been games where I can just Dragon Dance 6 times because all they can do is Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp and then Volt Switch for low damage. Teams that use a core like Heatran + Tapu Bulu / Tangrowth also find themselves being pressured by Dnite's and Volcarona's coverage. Stupid Zapdos sets that don't have Discharge are no threat to Dragonite, though Dragonite finds a hard time being threatening back if you burned its Z prior.

Example of Dragonite and Volcarona doing work

Against fatter teams with Pokemon like Toxapex, Volcarona will have limited usage. Charizard-Mega-X, though, can find a lot of chances to soften up the defensive backbones. Teams with Slowbro, Quagsire, defensive Landorus, etc. will always make Zard's time hard.

Stall is pretty much unwinnable unless you hax the opponent. Charizard can crit or flinch the wall (generally Slowbro, Quagsire, or Pyukumuku) with Dragon Rush.

Example 1 of haxing stall
Example 2 of haxing stall

What do you do if you have Stealth Rock on your side?

In some match-ups, like vs. Hawlucha or Z-Celebrate Victini teams, it will become extremely difficult to operate. Scarf Serperior has Defog as a back-up, but it'll lose a ton of momentum against a lot of the fast paced offensive teams. Sometimes, Volcarona can appreciate taking the rocks damage sometimes as crazy as that sounds. Its Iapapa Berry can activate from hits from Pokemon like Magearna (not Z moves though). Dragonite is probably the Pokemon hurt the most, as losing Multiscale is very unfortunate. Not being able to safely set up on Pokemon like Hawlucha or Scarf Lando hurts its potential. If you find that the opponent brings out a Pokemon that is threatened by Serperior like Seismitoad or Tapu Fini, you can attempt to Defog on their expected swap.

How do you take on the top Pokemon (S rank)?

• Volcarona can't be revenge killed by Greninja-Ash unless it gets hit by a critical hit. Its Iapapa Berry will activate during Water Shuriken's consecutive hits. Dragonite can set up on Greninja if its Multiscale is in tact. Hydro Pump doesn't do enough after Stealth Rock damage anyway. Scarf Serp can net a surprise KO, as some players are tempted to attack again if they're locked into Dark Pulse or Ice Beam. The Tapu Bulu variant does the best against Ash Greninja, as Bulu is a solid switch-in that forces Gren to switch. From there, it can Superpower or Stone Edge if you anticipate a Pokemon like Tornadus-Therian, Heatran, Ferrothorn or Zapdos to come in. If the Greninja is being used on a rain build and their Grass-resists are still healthy, using your coverage option will always be the preferred option.
• Heatran is set-up fodder for Charizard and Dragonite. Its presence is always annoying for Serperior. Volcarona can also set-up on Heatran, but Sp. Def sets are very annoying with Toxic + Protect. From my experience, most players preserved their Heatran to assist in beating Serp. They rarely make risky plays like switching it in on Tapu Bulu, since their builds can fall apart pretty fast.
1563488893181.png
• Landorus-T can run a large variety of sets. None of them are necessarily threatening bar defensive. Offensive sets, including Z and Scarf, will fall prey to Volcarona's +1 Fire Blast. Scarf in particular will be nice set-up bait for Dragonite. Dnite can spam Roost on Stone Edge, though it fears a critical hit. The Lando user also fears missing. Defensive checks Charizard-Mega-X and can get rocks up in the mid-game against a Pokemon like Tapu Bulu. For some reason, people on ladder kept bringing in their Scarf Lando against my Volcarona... I never missed my Fire Blast and just OHKO'd it, so it was very useful for Zard X in case Volc failed its sweep.
1563492017275.png
• Every Magearna set is set-up bait for Volcarona. The only set you need to be weary of is Gigavolt Havoc + Electric Terrain support. If the Magearna user revealed that it was Heart Swap, immediately attack on their Heart Swap to show them how real it really gets. Dragonite can also Dragon Dance on Magearna if it doesn't have Z-Fleur Cannon or something crazy like Z-Ice Beam. Sets lacking HP investment can be OHKO'd by Earthquake at +1, but sets like AV or Trick Room will never be OHKO'd by it.

What is the best version of the team and why?

The best version of the team, from further testing, is the
2nd version with Tapu Bulu. Reuniclus is cool and all, but it was mainly added as a measure against all the Ditto spam at high ladder. It helped a ton with Medicham, but Bulu's utility against teams who depend on Grass resists like Tornadus to check Serperior is great. Reuniclus is still solid, but I've been running into less and less Ditto. The easiest team to run is easily version 2. The importable links are all in the OP if you'd like to give each team a test yourself. This post was essentially one large "bump," but I guess it adds something for people who are interested.

Nice write up I look forward to trying your team out

Starting w v4 but will bounce around

EDIT: Very impressed w the team even though I'm low ladder I went from 1100 to 1500 went on my best showdown undefeated streak until I lost to a stupid zen headbutt flinch on dragonite oof

Last edited:
I still need to play this team more for any conclusions, but I thought charizard + dragonite + volcarona seemed a bit redundant. Zard X gets problems missing dragon rush but he needs the damage. I feel a mega gyarados ends up contributing more for the team balance, bringing two fresh types, good offensive and defensive, a second intimidate (didn't try moxie yet) dragon dance, and better earthquake.

Really liked the team, still need to experiment more, but I currently swaped zard for gyarados and seems to be doing very well

man your topic is wonderful, i feel like you struggle a way too much if you face a kyurem-black, but once you get ur boosts it should be dealable.

i'll definitely try this as soon as possible, but the ur topic's layout is just amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)