Narration?

So I subscribed to SmogonU on youtube, and when watching the shoddy videos i kind of find it hard to follow the battle since the text is pretty small and there are a bunch of people chatting during the video so its a bit hard to keep up with the battle, I suggest having someone narrate the battle so we can follow it easier. Just an idea

I don't think it's possible to narrate record battles on Shoddy Battle. The game goes so fast that you just can't narrate properly. Besides that, the video is sped up to, which makes it even harder to do it, so I don't think it will happen

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This was brought up several times in the original thread, and was generally supported. The main problem is getting good players who have sound recording available and are willing to spend some time on it organized. Hopefully along with the reorganization of the account it will be introduced.

And the problem with speed is a non-issue. Simply adjust the speed of the battle to fit with the speed of commentary, if people are willing to spend a while reading a warstory they should have the patience to listen to one. Personally, I find the current speed of the vids kinda annoying actually, you just don't have the time to think about what moves they may make or even take it in sometimes.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Watching normal wifi battles on youtube (or at least when I did) I never really had to much trouble following it, except when I was just getting into battling (where it was nice to know what was going on) but I agree that shoddy is much harder to follow, especially without the move animations.

I daresay some of the problem with Shoddy Battle vids will be that Youtube's resolution will be too low.

Audio narration could get annoying. You can find a lot of Youtube videos with interesting stuff ruined by poor voice work. I'm sure we can find a good narrator on Shoddy, but if people start to do the narration of their own videos, I reckon that'll be bad a lot of the time.

Maybe video-edited captions would be better. Just pop up the move names in a font big enough to easily read.

Possibly Shoddy 2 could have some sort of mode for making battle videos. Cut out the chat and interface, and make everything fit into Youtube's standard resolution.

If you make the battle full screen, with HD it works just fine with me. If you missed something go back and pause it. Being able to control the time of it is the beauty of movies.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
if people are willing to spend a while reading a warstory they should have the patience to listen to one.
This isn't a good argument. Others probably don't feel the same way, but I cannot stand the news on the radio, being read stories, or listening to podcasts because I know I could read the same content 10x faster.

Then again, I don't really have the patience to watch a Shoddy video on YouTube, so...

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I might actually try my hand at this if I can.

The thing to note is that you don't have to narrate the WHOLE thing, just a couple key predictions. You can also fill time talking about the battlers or various other stuff.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
mekkah, matty and I have talked about this several times. Once the new YouTube group is on a roll then we'll start experimenting with this and other ideas to spice up the videos.

Eh you see, I could just read the little text. And I don't see what there is to say, I mean they aren't the people battling (the narrators) so they can't know what was really going through the head. I'd rather listen to music than hear the same thing that I see on screen reiterated.

Thats just my opinion... wouldn't be the most interesting feature.

Eh you see, I could just read the little text. And I don't see what there is to say, I mean they aren't the people battling (the narrators) so they can't know what was really going through the head. I'd rather listen to music than hear the same thing that I see on screen reiterated.

Thats just my opinion... wouldn't be the most interesting feature.
Thats the thing though you can't tell whats going on just by looking at the battle, you just see their HP percent go down, and if you just look at the side and read then it isn't really much different than a warstory since its all reading

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thats the thing though you can't tell whats going on just by looking at the battle, you just see their HP percent go down, and if you just look at the side and read then it isn't really much different than a warstory since its all reading
Yup, which is why putting a video of a battle on the Internet's pretty dumb in the first place.

I guess people like it though, so perhaps this just isn't for you. It's certainly not for me.

Yup, which is why putting a video of a battle on the Internet's pretty dumb in the first place.

I guess people like it though, so perhaps this just isn't for you. It's certainly not for me.
I like that they are putting the battles up its just that its really hard to follow, but i guess thats the way shoddy is designed so that you can play fast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)