My Noob attempt on making a VGC18 team based on M-Blaziken

Hey guys

Before continuing if I break any rules please let me know and I'll correct whatever errors I have made

Now that 99% of the living dex is allowed for VGC 18 I was thinking of trying to make a viable team around M-Blaziken with Speed Boost

Now the build I was thinking is an Adamant nature but I'm stuck with either making it full glass cannon (ie 252 atk/252 spe/4 hp) or some variant of a bulky build (don't know any at the moment but it's why I'm here)
then the moveset I was thinking was
protect
swords dance
flare blitz
brick break

and my ideology was also finding a rage powder/follow me user to go with him so that my turn 1 would be Blaziken => Swords Dance and Other Pokemon => follow me etc to ensure a proper setup

I'm not a fan of Amoongus but I heard he's the best rage powder user or something like that

Anyways hope you guys can help
Sorry once again for being completely new

Mega Blaziken is straight outclassed by regular Blaziken. It doesn't take up your mega slot, it hits harder with LO and boosts both its special and physical hits equally with LO rather than gaining a minor increase in sp.atk after mega, making mixed attacking sets much more potent. Blaziken really needs HP Ice to check its more common switchins like Lando-T and Mence, and given how frail Blaziken is (and how common its weaknesses are) bulkier/set up sets kind of just suck.

A mixed attacking life orb set is probably your best starting point.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 84 Atk / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Here's a set from XY which was pretty much the last time Blaziken was relevant in Doubles. EVs probably want to be tweaked. If you want to use this to any success you're going to need solid counters to Fini given how prevelant that's going to be in VGC18 and how this set can't touch it.

Mega Blaziken is straight outclassed by regular Blaziken. It doesn't take up your mega slot, it hits harder with LO and boosts both its special and physical hits equally with LO rather than gaining a minor increase in sp.atk after mega, making mixed attacking sets much more potent. Blaziken really needs HP Ice to check its more common switchins like Lando-T and Mence, and given how frail Blaziken is (and how common its weaknesses are) bulkier/set up sets kind of just suck.
I see your point

All logic points to your argument which bums me out a bit. I was hoping to find a use for M-Blaziken but if it's more efficient to run it as a Life Orb set then why shoot myself in the foot y'know?

Mega Blaziken is perfectly fine, actually. Just know that it is a glass cannon, and use it sparingly. Mega Blaziken can never be bulky without support from Iron Defense and Amnesia, which it cannot learn.
I would recommend a set of the following:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz / Blaze Kick
- Superpower / Brick Break / Low Kick / High Jump Kick
- Baton Pass / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

I use Flare Blitz/High Jump Kick on this set to do maximum damage, and it works by doing damage, racking up Speed Boosts, and B-Passing them to a slower pokemon like Snorlax or Celesteela, of which both I use on my team. However, the set is all up to you in the end. I personally do not prefer HP Ice.

Also, the Hoenn Fire Chicken is really hard to build a core on, mainly due to Blaziken pitiful defensive stats. I would recommend using it to KO as many opponents as possible, and sacrificing it, as that is the best way to use an accelerating glass cannon, in my opinion. I would recommend using Blaziken as a suicide lead and for Fire and Fighting coverage.

Swords Dance is rewarding, but it is an unnecessary risk. If your opponent chooses to E-quake the turn you Swords Dance, say bye-bye to your Blaziken. And Rage Powder doesn't do anything to spread moves.

Here is a link if you want to see how Mega Blaziken plays under my command, and how I am talking about:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-695768273
I made a really bad team. The team doesn't work by any means. But Blaziken does. It's in turns 1, 2, 7, and 8.

Life Orb is just fine, but I prefer Mega Blaziken due to its increased stats everywhere, and the ability to not be guaranteed to faint in 10 turns.

Mega Blaziken is perfectly fine, actually. Just know that it is a glass cannon, and use it sparingly. Mega Blaziken can never be bulky without support from Iron Defense and Amnesia, which it cannot learn.
I would recommend a set of the following:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz / Blaze Kick
- Superpower / Brick Break / Low Kick / High Jump Kick
- Baton Pass / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

I use Flare Blitz/High Jump Kick on this set to do maximum damage, and it works by doing damage, racking up Speed Boosts, and B-Passing them to a slower pokemon like Snorlax or Celesteela, of which both I use on my team. However, the set is all up to you in the end. I personally do not prefer HP Ice.

Also, the Hoenn Fire Chicken is really hard to build a core on, mainly due to Blaziken pitiful defensive stats. I would recommend using it to KO as many opponents as possible, and sacrificing it, as that is the best way to use an accelerating glass cannon, in my opinion. I would recommend using Blaziken as a suicide lead and for Fire and Fighting coverage.

Swords Dance is rewarding, but it is an unnecessary risk. If your opponent chooses to E-quake the turn you Swords Dance, say bye-bye to your Blaziken. And Rage Powder doesn't do anything to spread moves.

Here is a link if you want to see how Mega Blaziken plays under my command, and how I am talking about:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-695768273
I made a really bad team. The team doesn't work by any means. But Blaziken does. It's in turns 1, 2, 7, and 8.

Life Orb is just fine, but I prefer Mega Blaziken due to its increased stats everywhere, and the ability to not be guaranteed to faint in 10 turns.
I mean, you don't even mention the fact that running Mega Blaziken no longer allows you to run another mega or a different item. You're trading the 'increased stats everywhere', which essentially means negligible increases to its defences and a boost to speed which rarely comes in to play after a speed boost (except ironically in the instance in your replay against a boosted Kommo-o, as well as against certain scarfers like Lando-T). I don't mention the higher attack stats since Mega Blaziken still hits less than LO Blaziken.

The fact that you include a replay where you win with a team that has a Mega Blaziken on it doesn't make it good, particularly against a low ladder player who has lost more games than he has won (as of the time writing this) and is running seemingly random choices like Tbolt Mega Gardevoir and Noivern.

I mean, you don't even mention the fact that running Mega Blaziken no longer allows you to run another mega or a different item. You're trading the 'increased stats everywhere', which essentially means negligible increases to its defences and a boost to speed which rarely comes in to play after a speed boost (except ironically in the instance in your replay against a boosted Kommo-o, as well as against certain scarfers like Lando-T). I don't mention the higher attack stats since Mega Blaziken still hits less than LO Blaziken.

The fact that you include a replay where you win with a team that has a Mega Blaziken on it doesn't make it good, particularly against a low ladder player who has lost more games than he has won (as of the time writing this) and is running seemingly random choices like Tbolt Mega Gardevoir and Noivern.
I'm not saying that Blaziken was the godly pokemon that replaces Lord Helix, Arceus, and whatnot, but I was only giving an example if GianniDelliColli or anyone else couldn't wrap their heads around just words.
Also, choosing a mega essentially means that you cannot pick another mega or use a different item. That's implied when you use Blazikenite or any Mega Stone, and it could be assumed by a Pokemon player that, if a person wants to build a team around Mega Blaziken, they are aware of the fact that you have no other Mega available and that your item slot is taken.
Also, by the damage Blaziken took, if I had run LO, I may not have survived a Draco Meteor, and know that my next offensive move from Blaziken would be my last. The 20-point decrease in Special Defense would have definitely forced me down to 9% or less. And I actually find that the guy's team was actually at an advantage against my team.
As for the damage output from Life Orb, it may be better than Mega Blaziken. However, Mega Blaziken has an increase in Speed, Attack, Defense, and Sp. Defense that may or may not be relevant to a battle. But sometimes, it could be the difference between taking a hit and being OHKOed. So that is why I recommend Blazikenite.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just giving another angle on GianniDelliColli's question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)