My First Warstory!

Asylum_Rhapsody

Very new to Smogon and competitive battling in general, but I just had so much fun with this battle that I felt I needed to share. Although this is not an RMT thread, advice about my team would not be unwelcome, as I am a newbie. Speaking of which, I guess I should begin by showing you my team:

Marionette (Banette)
Trick Room, Shadow Claw, Taunt, Destiny Bond

Astronaut (Claydol)
Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Explosion

CyberDuck (Porygon2)
Trick Room, Recover, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam

DroidDream (Ampharos)
Thunderbolt, Hidden Power (Ice), Focus Blast, Signal Beam

Bear (Ursaring)
Facade, Close Combat, Crunch, Sword Dance

Bonehead (Marowak)
Earthquake, Double-Edge, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch

Clearly, this is a Trick Room team.

TheWalrus's team was as follows:

Spiritomb
Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Will-O-Wisp, ???

Vespiquen
Defend Order, Attack Order, Roost, (don't remember the 4th)

Blastoise
Protect, Surf, Rapid Spin, (don't remember the 4th)

Articuno
Ice Beam, Roost, Substitute, Toxic

Entei
Toxic, Flamethrower (don't remember the 3rd or 4th)

Absol
Perish Song, Protect, Sucker Punch (don't remember the 4th)

Now, I know from reading the general guidelines sticky thread that it's not necessarily a good idea to reveal my whole team at the beginning of an RMT just because it keeps a bit more suspense. However, the reason that I did post out the entirety of both teams was that TheWalrus and I had battled quite a few times already on Shoddy. Apparently we were two of the very few people who were playing UU tonight, and although both of our teams had gone through some revisions, somehow we ended up battling each other more than a few times, enough to have a general idea of what to expect from each other. So without further delay...

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Self-KO Clause, Soul Dew Clause
Asylum_Rhapsody sent out Marionette (lvl 100 Banette ?).
TheWalrus sent out Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Asylum_Rhapsody: o_____O
Asylum_Rhapsody: you again, I see....
TheWalrus: ayup. pursuit time

Banette is my Trick Room lead. Unfortunately, he has a little problem with TheWalrus's Spiritomb because Spiritomb is slower than he is, faster than it and most of my team after Trick Room, making the subsequent Taunt / Destiny Bond combo more difficult than usual. Further, we both know that he has Pursuit and Sucker Punch and that I have Destiny Bond and Shadow Claw.

Marionette used Taunt.
Spiritomb used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
---
Marionette used Destiny Bond.
Spiritomb used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
---
Spiritomb used Sucker Punch.
But it failed!
---
But it failed!

At this point, I could either switch, meaning he would kill me with Pursuit, Destiny Bond, meaning he would destroy us both if he used pursuit again. He opted to predict that I would try to damage him with Shadow Claw, I guess, or didn't want to risk using Pursuit and being killed by Destiny Bond, and used Sucker Punch for the next SIX turns. For this six turns, I just used Destiny Bond, sure that he would predict that I would switch out eventually and use Pursuit. Eventually, I managed to switch out on a Sucker Punch...

Asylum_Rhapsody switched in Bonehead (lvl 100 Marowak ?).
But it failed!
---
TheWalrus switched in Articuno (lvl 100 Articuno).
Bonehead used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Articuno...

DAMN! >_<
I actually should have known better. He'd switched Articuno into Marowak's Earthquake before a few times, but I'd also killed his Spiritomb before with Marowak, so I figured it'd be my best switch-in. Besides, Marowak managed to destroy his Articuno with Fire Punch on previous occasions, so this is still okay...

Articuno used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Bonehead used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!

... Oh, right, except that I didn't use Trick Room this time, so now it's faster than me.

Asylum_Rhapsody switched in CyberDuck (lvl 100 Porygon2).
Articuno used Ice Beam.

After using Trick Room, these two Pokemon have a back-and-forth with one another for a while, Porygon2 using Thunderbolt and Recover, Articuno using Substitute, Roost, and Ice Beam.

Eventually, he switches out to Entei, and then I switch out Marowak. Entei and Marowak end up destroying each other simultaneously, being done in by Earthquake and Toxic respectively.

5 - 5

So... Who are we each going to send in?

Asylum_Rhapsody switched in Marionette (lvl 100 Banette ?).
TheWalrus switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
TheWalrus: hi there
Asylum_Rhapsody: DAMN IT!
Asylum_Rhapsody: HAHAHA

Remember the annoying amount of turns we spend with this back at the beginning? Yeah, that happens again.

After a few more switches and Taunts, I switch to Ampharos, he switches to Articuno, and Ampharos defeats Articuno.

5 - 4

TheWalrus switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Asylum_Rhapsody: You know, I think that knowing exactly what you have makes this even more intense...
TheWalrus: Heh
Asylum_Rhapsody switched in Marionette (lvl 100 Banette ?).
Spiritomb used Spite.
But it failed!
---
TheWalrus: I like this matchup, yeah
Asylum_Rhapsody: =)
TheWalrus: Oh, seriously!?
Asylum_Rhapsody: just for the hilarity of it
Spiritomb used Spite.
But it failed!
Marionette used Trick Room.

Banette v Spiritomb proceeds exactly like the two previous times. Spite is new here, however. I didn't remember this Spiritomb having it in our previous matches, but I didn't think very much of it. I've never heard of Spite actually being a competitively viable move, so I wasn't too worried...

Eventually, we both switch out simultaneously, and his Absol and my Ampharos end up defeating each other simultaneously.

4 - 3

I switch in Banette, and he, surprisingly, doesn't switch in Spiritomb. Unfortunately, Banette and Spiritomb will never meet again, as Banette is defeated by his Blastoise.

3 - 3

His Spiritomb ends up coming back out against my Porygon2.

Spiritomb used Spite.
It reduced the PP of the foe's Porygon2's Thunderbolt by 4!
CyberDuck used Thunderbolt.
---
Spiritomb used Spite.
It reduced the PP of the foe's Porygon2's Thunderbolt by 4!
CyberDuck used Trick Room.
---
TheWalrus: :D
Asylum_Rhapsody: haha

I'm still not taking Spite very seriously, but with the loss of my Ampharos, I still want to keep Thunderbolt around on my Porygon2, so I switched to Ice Beam.

CyberDuck used Ice Beam.
---
Spiritomb used Spite.
It reduced the PP of the foe's Porygon2's Ice Beam by 4!
CyberDuck used Ice Beam.
---
TheWalrus: I'll spite ALL your moves
Asylum_Rhapsody: do it, it'll be funny
Spiritomb used Spite.
It reduced the PP of the foe's Porygon2's Ice Beam by 4!
CyberDuck used Ice Beam.
TheWalrus's Spiritomb fainted.

3 - 2

Vespiquen comes in, and we begin to Roost, Recover, etc. for a few turns. Unfortunately, Porygon2 runs out of Thunderbolt PP against it thanks to Spiritomb's Spite and Pressure! Fortunately, he still has Ice Beam as super effective, but Defense Order is getting annoying, so I switch to Ursaring and Swords Dance before taking it out with Facade. Facade + Guts + Toxic Orb + STAB = YAY! Normally, this would be badly hindered by Ursaring's horrid speed, but Trick Room makes it work well, I think. Unfortunately, that Toxic Orb takes its toll, and Ursaring and Vespiquen faint simultaneously.

2 - 1

Now he only has Blastoise left...

Asylum_Rhapsody switched in Astronaut (lvl 100 Claydol).
TheWalrus switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
TheWalrus: hardcore
Blastoise used Protect.
Astronaut used Explosion.
Asylum_Rhapsody's Astronaut fainted.
Asylum_Rhapsody: ARGH
TheWalrus: HAHAHA

1 - 1

Asylum_Rhapsody switched in CyberDuck (lvl 100 Porygon2).
Asylum_Rhapsody: . . .
Asylum_Rhapsody: . . .
Asylum_Rhapsody: You spited away all o fmy attacking PP ;_;
TheWalrus: Got any PP left?
Asylum_Rhapsody: I have trick room and recover left
TheWalrus: This is the best fight ever.

We proceed to talk about how awesome this match was, what with all of the simultaneous faints, Banette v. Spiritomb, and Spite somehow actually being useful.

I leave all of the dashes between rounds in the following so that you know for how long we were both laughing...

Asylum_Rhapsody: hahaha
Asylum_Rhapsody: gonna kill me?
---
TheWalrus: It'd be hilarious if I ran out of PP... but no. I'm going to kill you.
---
---
---
---
Asylum_Rhapsody: I will laugh so hard if you run out of PP
---
TheWalrus: In all that confusion, did I fire 5 surfs, or 6?
---
---
---
---
---
TheWalrus: doesn't matter
TheWalrus: Rapid Spin has 64 PP
---
Asylum_Rhapsody: o_O
Asylum_Rhapsody: oh my...
---
TheWalrus: What're you down to?
Asylum_Rhapsody: 7 more, lol
---
Asylum_Rhapsody: I would forfeit, but this is just too funny
---
TheWalrus: Agreed
---
---
---
---
---

I finally run out of PP. I've never actually Struggled before, in game or out, so this was actually new for me.

CyberDuck used Struggle.
---
TheWalrus: XD
TheWalrus: Struggle
Blastoise used Protect.
CyberDuck used Struggle.
Blastoise protected itself!
---
Asylum_Rhapsody: BWAHAHAHAHA
Blastoise used Protect.
But it failed!
CyberDuck used Struggle.
Asylum_Rhapsody's CyberDuck fainted. TheWalrus wins!

0 - 1

Asylum_Rhapsody: I just woke up my parents
Asylum_Rhapsody: when you protected
Asylum_Rhapsody: hope you're happy
TheWalrus: I am so, so happy.

So I guess that the morals of this story are as follows:
A) Don't
underestimate Pressure + Spite. <_<
B) Don't have hilariously awesome battles while your parents are trying to sleep in the next room.
C) Don't forfeit just because you know that you've lost. Sometimes, hilarious things still happen that are well worth the stay!

This is my first War Story, and I am a newbie, so go easy on me, but constructive criticism on my team, my actions, and the War Story itself are all welcome. ^_^

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thing is, you left out all the parts that may have actually been interesting, as in the pokemon defeating one another. Rather, you chose to leave in the parts which yourself found amusing, which leads me to believe this warstory was more of a self-satisfying project.

You may want to put the entire battle into the warstory, particularly the parts that precede a KO. For example, when both your Marowak and his/her Entei faint simultaneously. Some pictures or percntages after each turn also help to break up the wall of text and make a bit more appealling to readers. Not a bad effort for a first try, but for future endeavors, see the archive as it contains the cream of the warstory crop and would help with formatting etc.

You said help would be appreciated on your team so here is my two cents. A set-up sweeper, such as one utilising Curse, Calm Mind or Bulk Up, I feel would be advantageous to your team. As, once it has enough boost to tank hits, Trick Room is not needed. I recommend the follwing Miltank set:

@ Leftovers
Scrappy
Sassy 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
-Curse
-Milk Drink
-Heal Bell
-Body Slam

Despite its base 100 Speed, Miltank is still usable under TR. After several Curses, Body Slam hits very hard, though you have some trouble with Reigsteel and Steelix. Milk Drink and Heal Bell provide it with reliable recovery and a way to releave the rest of your team of status.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Thanks for the advice, you two.

Honestly, most the war-stories that I've read before (including some in the archives) are really long and only have a couple of interesting occurrences, and I was concerned that this story might be boring if I were to include every little detail, so I thought that trimming it down to what I perceived to be the funny and/or interesting parts would be better received. I guess I'll know better for next time. =)

As for Miltank (or another setup sweeper), that sounds like it could be a good idea, but which of my current sweepers should I kick out to make room for it? I guess that Marowak seems the most expendable because he has so many common weaknesses, but that massive attack with Thick Club seems like such a shame to let go of...

Needs...moar...damage...calculations...
Seconding. It helps if you include a rough percentage of how much HP each Pokemon has left. Something along the lines of "Ampharos lost 53% of its health!" or the like. It should be included in the original log.

Apart from that, good first warstory. I've had to Struggle before...it SUCKS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)