Move/Ability animations thread

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah why can't you use the movement in option 1 but the electric ball animation from option 2?

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
I think the problem for me is that the attack doesn't "boomerang." Volt Switch is supposed to hit the opponent and then return so the trainer can switch the Pokémon for another.
Boomerang huh. I'll give it a shot.
Yeah why can't you use the movement in option 1 but the electric ball animation from option 2?
What do you mean by "movement"? The attacker?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Boomerang huh. I'll give it a shot.

What do you mean by "movement"? The attacker?
Yes the attacker. In option one Zygarde moves forward which looks better, but the electric ball animation looks way better in option two

I actually liked the original volt switch animation, although the electric ball we have right now isn't bad. I looked up videos and noticed that in the actual games, all the mons that use volt switch make some sort of movement towards the opponent and go back to their original spot. For emolga its like a little flip, manectric steps back and jumps forward, and for ampharos its like stepping forward and wagging its hand. The problem here is that this is customized for the pokemon, and I think it looks really weird to have the movement that you can see in the vswitch animation i'm quoting. Imagine a rotom-wash moving forward like in order to throw out a volt switch (rotom is probably the most common volt switch user in ou, and also its body is a like a floaty box, so to me it would be a lot more useful to see how the new volt switch animations looks on a rotom, rather than on a zygarde). To me it looks really weird, and also slightly overcomplicated, with too much going on. I think it will be very difficult to get the detail of the volt switch animation in the actual games, and that simplicity is the best answer. Personally, i'm perfectly fine with the original volt switch animation since i was so used to it, and i've also warmed up to the one we have right now with the electric ball but no movement, but i also would like to see more ideas - just that I don't really like the newer ones with the supposed "boomerang" movement, and I think people were complaining about the animation change because they were so used to the old one (this was my original thought as well).

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
I actually liked the original volt switch animation, although the electric ball we have right now isn't bad. I looked up videos and noticed that in the actual games, all the mons that use volt switch make some sort of movement towards the opponent and go back to their original spot. For emolga its like a little flip, manectric steps back and jumps forward, and for ampharos its like stepping forward and wagging its hand. The problem here is that this is customized for the pokemon, and I think it looks really weird to have the movement that you can see in the vswitch animation i'm quoting. Imagine a rotom-wash moving forward like in order to throw out a volt switch (rotom is probably the most common volt switch user in ou, and also its body is a like a floaty box, so to me it would be a lot more useful to see how the new volt switch animations looks on a rotom, rather than on a zygarde). To me it looks really weird, and also slightly overcomplicated, with too much going on. I think it will be very difficult to get the detail of the volt switch animation in the actual games, and that simplicity is the best answer. Personally, i'm perfectly fine with the original volt switch animation since i was so used to it, and i've also warmed up to the one we have right now with the electric ball but no movement, but i also would like to see more ideas - just that I don't really like the newer ones with the supposed "boomerang" movement, and I think people were complaining about the animation change because they were so used to the old one (this was my original thought as well).
Zygarde was used because I'm lazy and I didn't feel like switching mons, since I was testing Thousand Arrows & Waves and Power Construct.

Anyway, I can always try to do that. Move back, forward, throwing the VS.

I felt like changing it because having a T-Wave alias of an animation just didn't do much justice to it. Personally "just being used to it" doesn't feel like that much of a good argument, when it's possible to improve it. Yes it's difficult (since I've been in the past few days struggling with it, but I feel like it's possible to improve it.

And yes, ideas are always welcome. Hence why the creation of this thread.

Last edited:
Well, I would like to see how the animation I quoted looks on a rotom and a manectric, for comparison purposes. Currently, I prefer the electric ball (without movement) we have right now to the one I quoted (the one with movement), but if it looks good on a rotom I can't complain.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Well, I would like to see how the animation I quoted looks on a rotom and a manectric, for comparison purposes. Currently, I prefer the electric ball (without movement) we have right now to the one I quoted (the one with movement), but if it looks good on a rotom I can't complain.
(Manectric doesn't move as much backwards as Rotom does due to a fixup)

A thing I also wanted to do was to trigger the switch out animation once Volt Switch animated, then make you chose a mon. I'll have to talk to some people on how to do this. It should be easy hopefully

[03:31:25] &Marty: I've also wanted that forever but I've never looked into it and it doesn't sound particularly easy

Welp

Last edited:
hmm the movement actually looks kinda ok on rotom and kinda good on manectric, but i'm still unsure about which animation I like best (I really like the touch of moving it back a little, and then spawning the ball at the same time they start to move forward). I do think however that for such a common move like volt switch, its a good idea to get a lot of peoples thoughts about it, so that changes don't get implemented and then they have to be redone because people don't like them.

Not to distract from the Volt Switch discussion, but could you add the existing Attract/infatuation particle to Heart Stamp in some capacity? I was thinking the heart+pow or heart+ball icons on impact, but you could take it in a few directions (heart explosion y/n?)

Ridaz

Don't @ me
First things first

Not to distract from the Volt Switch discussion, but could you add the existing Attract/infatuation particle to Heart Stamp in some capacity? I was thinking the heart+pow or heart+ball icons on impact, but you could take it in a few directions (heart explosion y/n?)
I made Heart Stamp animate like Lovely Kiss. How does that sound?

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
You seem to be upgrading some move animation from time to time, not aiming to bother you or anything since it already has an animation. But if you ever have free time maybe upgrade the hurricane-aeroblast animations? sorry if I annoyed you =(

Ridaz

Don't @ me
You seem to be upgrading some move animation from time to time, not aiming to bother you or anything since it already has an animation. But if you ever have free time maybe upgrade the hurricane-aeroblast animations? sorry if I annoyed you =(
Hurricane is fine.
If I knew how to redo Aeroblast, I'd do it by now. Feel free to suggest any ideas on how to make it

EDIT: I (anto) made a poll over the Inside Scoop regarding which of the 2 animation I should chose. Note: they're both WIPs.

EDIT: Surprise surprise, The 2nd one won

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Note: I can't animate the defender on this animation.

Marty: you can't use ofpoke there because -end effects don't send any target information (so ofpoke doesn't exist); if you want two separate animations you're stuck making it look okay just animating the user only :(

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Found a new problem with the last Bide animation. It would look bad in Doubles / Triples, so I just made the attacker explode, sort of.

And now the defenders animate when hit by the Heat Wave.

Added the PSN effect to Cross Poison.

Minor stuff but, Celebrate now uses the dance animation instead of selfstatus

Last edited:
I feel like Gigavolt Havoc would work well with something similar, but instead of the expanding orb it stays constant, and on contact with the opponent, causes lots of lightning bolts to rain down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)