Monotype Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (NO BAD GIMMICKS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Fake Out

This set is pretty standard besides for quick attack but it's super important. Quick Attack is a really good option for Lopunny in monotype since not every team is packing Lando since this isn't OU Ice Punch is not nearly as necessary and Power-Up Punch is helpful for punching holes in checks like Skarm and Slowbro yet Quick Attack has its own distinct benefits. Quick Attack allows Mega-Lopunny to beat annoying Scarfers after some residual:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa Unbound: 102-121 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

This plus Quick Attack takes Hoopa-U relatively quickly and normal unlike most types can afford to wear down strong mobs like Hoopa-U thanks to its good defensive core in Chansey + P2. It also allows Lopunny to avoid being revenged by weakened Priority users which allows Lopunny to clean better than it could without it. This set functions very well alongside Diggersby since Diggersby's quick attack plus Lopunny's priority allow them to check on sweeper together.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
So I was with my boy dusk raimon trying to build a viable Rock Mono squad, and we built trash. I got repeatedly destroyed by Fighting, even though I hoped Mega Aero would handle it. Scarf Moxie Heracross was too much. I looked for something that could handle it, what I come up with is usually what ends up winning me games in many matchups...

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Rest

The idea was that this can come in on Heracross, Iron Defense, and then Rest to either force Heracross out or stall Close Combat PP. I then added Calm Mind to make it a bulky set up sweeper. After a few boosts, this thing is an absolute tank. It can beat Steel types no problem, I have replays in here of it beating Mega Scizor and Jirachi. It helps in the matchups vs. Fighting, Ground, Fairy Psychic, Water, Grass, and and pretty much every type tbh. It can just straight up win on matchup against many opponents. Due to Rest it also wins PP wars with other setup sweepers. Every replay posted below is Diancie just sweeping by itself.

I don't play a ton of Mono so I don't have more replays than that, but as far as I can tell this helps Rock a lot, I'm unsure about the viability with Fairy though.

I was debating posting this set at all because i feel its going to be regarded as a meme(and when i thought of the set,i thought the same) despite how well its worked for me on ladder(i don't have a pic of a peak or anything, but i peaked at 1790 with the team i was using this set on - the highest peak i've had with any elec team during my relatively short time in mono). In the end I've decided to post it with sun and moon just around the corner.

The best i can do is tell you to look at the usage stats for elec in october past 1760. The fly thundurus was(mostly) me.

This set was heavily inspired by the fly dnite set that i first saw sabella using in a room tour a while ago, and also due in part to mega venu, which isn't something electric likes to face.

The EV spread looks pretty weird but its the one thats worked the best for me(there's probably a better one). 20 spe outspeeds jolly base 70s. 212 hp is a leftovers number, 236+ SpD gives you surprisingly good bulk.

Fly Thundurus - Electric

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 212 HP / 40 Def / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fly
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Thunder Wave

Fly provides nice flying stab and has great synergy with leftovers, Sub in conjunction with yellow magic gets you a ton of free turns for set up and punishes switches too.

Bulk up doesn't really need an explanation, and twave as i said above gets you free turns regularly.

Even vs teams where flying was resisted by most, it found a use in simply speed controlling more often than not

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-474636445 - VS SS water it puts in major work and drags me to victory despite how much i tried to lose
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-464891063 - VS Dark it deals with hoopa u pretty easily, making it a non threat.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-463803298 - Cleans up a fighting mono
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-463492355 - Another example of it dealing with hoopa u pretty easily.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-463027732 - Sets up on standard psy after his one wall to the set fainted early on although its worth noting at +1 thundurus sets up on it anyway.

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 212 HP / 236+ SpD Thundurus: 73-87 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. +1 212 HP / 40 Def Thundurus: 73-87 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- possible 6HKO after leftovers recovery

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-463815110 - Thundurus puts in some work vs HO steel
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-475222001 - Spreading paralysis which proves to be crucial vs fire
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-463818619 - replay vs standard bug. It really helps with volcarona.

There are more replays these are just the ones i decided to include, and some games i forgot to save.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
473.png

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower

This set should probably be standard on Ground, figured I should share it now that the team I first spammed it with is on the monotype hub. Basically what it does is help put a lot more pressure on potentially dicey matchups in Flying and Dragon but also functions as a generally useful scarfer on a type that I've seen not running any because your options are fairly limited. Mamo is already incredible on Ground thanks to its invaluable Ice typing, and the type has so much wallbreaking potential already (my team had CB exca+SD Chomp+LO SF Lando for example) that it's really not too big of a deal to sacrifice LO/Sash. Meanwhile this blows through everything on Flying other than Skarm/Gyara which is pretty excellent and just functions as a basically good scarfer, freeing up a slot for something else and also providing more unique revenge killing capabilities than Lando-T or Krookodile because a fast Ice attacker just synergizes very well with Ground's overall presence. Mamo just has a unique case of pressuring where it might not be quite as strong as Lando-T or be able to clean like Krookodile but revenging with Ice can put you in a much better scenario versus archetypes like balanced dark with a Mandibuzz+Sableye core, or Normal with defensive Staraptor, and this is hard to put into words but really the core of why it's so good. Scarf Ice Shard looks dumb but Ground doesn't have much priority outside of this (diggersby/zygarde I guess) so having something to help with random threats like Hawlucha is very nice. I did try Freeze Dry earlier on for Gyarados, but was disappointed with how few times I actually clicked it, could be worth taking a look at though. If I had one complaint, I wish that this straight outsped Jolly +1 Gyarados like the other scarfers for Ground, but that's about it.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gen7 is upon us, so I'm going to lock this thread pretty soon. If you have any last sets you want archived, make sure they're posted ASAP.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread throughout the gen6 metagame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)