Monotype Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (NO BAD GIMMICKS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I only pointed out Slowbro is probably better as a colbur user; Scarftini is one of the best mons Psychic has. It demolishes Steel, Grass, Bug and gains so much momentum versus virtually every type that it's not even worth a Colbur. The only mons I agree that this set is good for is LO Bish and Shiftry. Even commenting on Foul Play P2 is honestly a joke considering it can recover off whatever you do to it and can t wave you. Tini gets worn down too quick that there's no real point running a colbur.

As for your replay, you faced a Steel team which Victini eats alive, you had Fire Punch Jirachi, you had enough sacks where the colbur made no difference and your opponent was silly enough to sack his Heatran turn 2 (and even protected on a Hoopa).

I never actually insulted you but seeing as you're being salty and I like your tears, then sure your set is garbage.
If you're gonna ignore relevant facts for a shitty callout post, do it to someone else please :c
This set has nothing to do with scarftini. It was specifically used in place of CBtini, which I find overkill. Scarftini is totally different, and comparing them is just taking two different points and pretending there's a comparison.

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 127-150 (34 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So I'd also like to question how v create + burn damage is going to be easily stalled out. I will agree that pory2 is nowhere near the main focus of the set, it only happened to come up because I had won a game thanks to reduced foul play damage. That's why it was a quick mention of Foul Plays at 20%. (edit oh, you meant by para then recover spamming for full para. Then yes, I suppose that you would lose after crippling their P2 nicely, esp good when no mega medi. Still a fairly irrelevant nitpick but makes more sense.) As far as Tini getting worn down too quick, I'm not sure why this is the case outside of if they have rocks out and you feel the need to come in multiple times with rocks set up versus psychic offense, but I'll keep this perfect scenario in mind. Then there's the replay; I pretty clearly said "sorry, I didn't save any, but here's one where it does work" because at least it shows off a random hit you can live? It's something? Believe me, if I had something else to post, I'd post it, although I'd argue that if Tini died the win still wouldnt be guaranteed thanks to rachi fire punches being piss weak.

And then the end where you abandon any pretense to justify making a dumb post because you enjoy the salt that you find in a response post, because clearly anything where a person responds to someone else must mean that they're salty. Why else would they respond? In fact I'm salty right now, and so were you when you responded to me haha!

Oh and I only responded to point out how dumb your post is because I enjoy your tears which inevitably follow getting called out on smogon, so sure, your post is garbage.

Edit: For the record, if someone would care to point out why this set is bad in a not stupid way, I'd legitimately to hear it, I'm not claiming I know enough about the meta to definitively say this set is good, just reject bad reasons

Last edited:
Hazard Packet (Forretress) for Monotype Steel

Forretress @ Chesto Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 78 SpA / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Volt-Switch
- Rest / Rapid Spin

EV spread:
252 HP evs give forretress enough bulk to set up a ton of hazards reliably bar super strong moves or fire moves, 78 SpA allow volt switch to always deal 25% to 0/4 or 4/0 Sub CM Keldeo before the calmmind, ensuring that magnezone or something can come in and deal with itand preventing keldeo from setting up and costing the game. The rest is thrown into spdef to set up vs weaker special attackers but can always be thrown into defense as weak special attackers are slightly hard to find.

Moves and Item:
Rocks and spikes or toxic spikes help give steel a ton of hazards, a feat well known as steel has a few really nice hazard stacking cores. Spikes can help vs other steel teams and teams not weak to hazards, since it adds another layer of damage that quickley adds up. Toxic spikes helps pressure bulkier builds like normal and water, and combined with rocks it can really pressure opposing teams who need to switch for the toxic damage but cant since the rocks. Volt switch is the all important pivoting move, letting it escape the grasps of mega sableye and taunt users who taunt right into a switch into your counter. It also builds momentum by letting you switch out while they switch in a defogger/spinner anticipating any hazards. Rest is their with chesto berry to give forretress the recovery it lacks, but leftovers can be used instead along with rapid spin for additional hazard control.

Why use it?
A quick glance at the usage shows that forretress is not used that much, if any at all, yet it can still form a part with a good steel team. The other competition that people think outclass it, skarmory, ferrothorn, and heatran all lack important features that carve forretress a small niche. The other hazard setters lack the move toxic spikes, which lets you pressure defensive builds, and they lack volt switch, which can be a great momentum grabber. The same typing as scizor, while it may be viewed as a hinderance, can help in scouting for fire coverage moves such as fire punch on conkeldurr without risking the switch into heatran or risking losing scizor itself, and if used with the other steel type hazard setters forretress can free up valuable move slots by carrying spikes for ferrothorn or skarmory or carrying stealth rocks for heatran, freeing up the way for interesting and helpful moves like tailwind, stone edge, hp ice, and maybe even koff for ferrothorn to knock eviolites off!

Megazard said:
If you're gonna ignore relevant facts for a shitty callout post, do it to someone else please :c
This set has nothing to do with scarftini. It was specifically used in place of CBtini, which I find overkill. Scarftini is totally different, and comparing them is just taking two different points and pretending there's a comparison.

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 127-150 (34 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So I'd also like to question how v create + burn damage is going to be easily stalled out. I will agree that pory2 is nowhere near the main focus of the set, it only happened to come up because I had won a game thanks to reduced foul play damage. That's why it was a quick mention of Foul Plays at 20%. (edit oh, you meant by para then recover spamming for full para. Then yes, I suppose that you would lose after crippling their P2 nicely, esp good when no mega medi. Still a fairly irrelevant nitpick but makes more sense.) As far as Tini getting worn down too quick, I'm not sure why this is the case outside of if they have rocks out and you feel the need to come in multiple times with rocks set up versus psychic offense, but I'll keep this perfect scenario in mind. Then there's the replay; I pretty clearly said "sorry, I didn't save any, but here's one where it does work" because at least it shows off a random hit you can live? It's something? Believe me, if I had something else to post, I'd post it, although I'd argue that if Tini died the win still wouldnt be guaranteed thanks to rachi fire punches being piss weak.

And then the end where you abandon any pretense to justify making a dumb post because you enjoy the salt that you find in a response post, because clearly anything where a person responds to someone else must mean that they're salty. Why else would they respond? In fact I'm salty right now, and so were you when you responded to me haha!

Oh and I only responded to point out how dumb your post is because I enjoy your tears which inevitably follow getting called out on smogon, so sure, your post is garbage.

Edit: For the record, if someone would care to point out why this set is bad in a not stupid way, I'd legitimately to hear it, I'm not claiming I know enough about the meta to definitively say this set is good, just reject bad reasons
Can't be bothered to quote all of the argument.

As far as I know, you are doing a comparison of Choice Band Victini vs Colbur Berry Victini. However, if its designed just for Bisharp and Hoopa-Unbound, what is the point when your opponent can easily switch into Mandibuzz to tank whatever Victini uses? Most of the time, it does more work with Choice Band Victini over Colbur Berry since it can actually wallbreak Tyranitar and Mandibuzz when needed.

Additionally, having a Colbur Berry would limit your wins vs Steel and Bug, threats to Psychic. Even though Choice Scarf Victini actually does better vs Bug, Steel can easily get demolished by Choice Band Victini when used correctly while Colbur Berry can be tanked by Heatran.

Why Colbur Berry Slowbro is better is because of Leftovers and Rocky Helmet is not actually necessary on Slowbro while on Victini, it's almost mandatory because most people do use Choice Band or Choice Scarf to remove their Steel or Bug threats, respectively.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
However, if its designed just for Bisharp and Hoopa-Unbound, what is the point
Lure?
As for versus steel, you're losing to one extra Pokemon on the condition which you were beating by correctly predicting it twice, and still doing a fair amount to it while not needing to worry about choice locking into the wrong move
And Mandibuzz takes too much to effectively wall you out when burned, plus roost stall leaves dark open to garde coming in.
So obviously by changing items the set will function differently, but the post completely ignores the upsides of colbur to focus on the loss of CB
And it's not just for bish and hoopa
And I'm aware colbur bro is good
@_@

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sub Nasty Plot Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic/Focus Blast
Very uncommon yet dangerous Hoopa-U set. Substitute is there to avoid status and to be safe to set up nasty plots because Hoopa-U forces lots of switches. Nasty Plot is used to boost Hoopa-U's huge 170 Special Attack. Dark Pulse is main STAB. Last move can be multiple although I have found Focus Blast and Psychic to be the most viable options. EVs are generic max speed timid to outspeed as much as you can. Leftovers is used to recover HP while being behind a Substitute. This set has surprise factor because most people assume Hoopa-U is mixed scarf or mixed life orb wallbreaker.

Stallbreaker Heatran

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power / Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

An extremely underrated set, stallbreaker Heatran lures in stuff like Chansey beautifully. Magma Storm, one of the most underrated moves, traps spdef walls and provides residual damage while taunt almost completely shuts down most walls. Toxic can also be used to cause more residual damage while Earth Power hits opposing Heatrans hard. Stealth Rock is useful for the team overall although its not necessary on this set and if you already have a rocker, it can be replaced with toxic (if you opt for earth power on the second slot) or flash cannon for STAB. The EVs let it hit hard with Magma Storm while also letting it be bulky at the same time. Air Balloon gives a free immunity to ground which is nice to have on both steel and fire.

Stallbreaker Heatran

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power / Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

An extremely underrated set, stallbreaker Heatran lures in stuff like Chansey beautifully. Magma Storm, one of the most underrated moves, traps spdef walls and provides residual damage while taunt almost completely shuts down most walls. Toxic can also be used to cause more residual damage while Earth Power hits opposing Heatrans hard. Stealth Rock is useful for the team overall although its not necessary on this set and if you already have a rocker, it can be replaced with toxic (if you opt for earth power on the second slot) or flash cannon for STAB. The EVs let it hit hard with Magma Storm while also letting it be bulky at the same time. Air Balloon gives a free immunity to ground which is nice to have on both steel and fire.
Somebody already did Stallbreaker Heatran

Skuntank @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Punishment
- Poison Jab / Fire Blast

With Mega Sableye now officially staying on the metagame and being such a threat to poison this set can find a great use (credits to average fella for showing me this set). Skuntank has always been a high rank material on poison due to its great typing. Sucker Punch and Pursuit providing great coverage for psychic types. And then comes Punishment. Punishment is to hit Sableye once it has set up. If Sableye dares to Calm Mind up on Venusaur or any special attacker, Skuntank becomes a great check to it. It can even hit offensive Volcarona after 1 Quiver Dance and OHKO it as it can even live a max SpA Bug Buzz at +1 with its great bulk and checks many other threats.

252+ Atk Choice Band Skuntank Punishment (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 237-280 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Skuntank Punishment (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 207-243 (68 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is after 3 Calm Minds and guarantees a 2HKO even if Sableye burns it after it takes a hit.

Poison Jab is your main STAB but Fire Blast can be used instead to hit steel walls like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, even Scizor. Poison STAB on a poison mono team isn't always needed.

Edit: Alternatively an EV spread of 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe with an Adamant nature allows you to outspeed 0 speed Crocune to hit it with Punishment after it sets up Calm Minds.

Last edited:

Skuntank @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Punishment
- Poison Jab / Fire Blast

With Mega Sableye now officially staying on the metagame and being such a threat to poison this set can find a great use (credits to average fella for showing me this set). Skuntank has always been a high rank material on poison due to its great typing. Sucker Punch and Pursuit providing great coverage for psychic types. And then comes Punishment. Punishment is to hit Sableye once it has set up. If Sableye dares to Calm Mind up on Venusaur or any special attacker, Skuntank becomes a great check to it. It can even hit offensive Volcarona after 1 Quiver Dance and OHKO it as it can even live a max SpA Bug Buzz at +1 with its great bulk and checks many other threats.

252+ Atk Choice Band Skuntank Punishment (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 237-280 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Skuntank Punishment (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 207-243 (68 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is after 3 Calm Minds and guarantees a 2HKO even if Sableye burns it after it takes a hit.

Poison Jab is your main STAB but Fire Blast can be used instead to hit steel walls like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, even Scizor. Poison STAB on a poison mono team isn't always needed.
one thing i just realized is that this is actually a hoopa-u switchin and can ohko it. it's not nearly a counter because your predicts have to be on point, but from what poison users have told me, being able to force 50/50s with the beast instead of crying which i think poison users usually do is probably better.

252 Atk Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 132-156 (32.2 - 38.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (scarf)
252 Atk Life Orb Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 172-202 (42 - 49.20%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 337-398 (111.9 - 132.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (pursuit on switch-out has the same base power)

also yes, hyperspace fury is the most powerful move against skuntank, unless your opponent runs thunderbolt (15.8% on psychic and 16% on dark) or has the nerve to go for a drain punch against a poison mono. drain punch does the same amount of damage as hyperspace fury, but avoids the unpleasant defense drop and gives you a neat bit of health. whether or not they take lorb recoil can be indicative of what set it is when it goes for drain punch, which can give you a potential switch, pursuit, or double switch scenario, another 50/50 (depending on your switch options, this 50/50 may be in your favour if its a scarfer), so this can work as a decent scout, making bandbat have no fear of it if you scout lorb and take the op-ass djinn out and let your team have some breathing air.

also if youre scared of special attacks, just go brave, this aint outspeeding much. also the ability is largely personal preference, as you can be a haxing jackass with stench sucker punches (10% chance to flinch if you land a sucker punch), but aftermath is more reliable and makes it not an utter deadweight in bad matchups.

EDIT:

252+ Atk Choice Band Skuntank Pursuit vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 135-159 (87 - 102.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

this is a reason you run a choice band if your predicts are amazing in other areas enough for band sucker. i recommend lorb anyway because nobody's a prediction god, but band does have a use other than watching numbers go down slightly more

Last edited:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 HP / 92 SpA / 224 SpD / 160 Spe
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam / Focus Blast
- Roost

Most people maximize SpA and Spe whenever they use Charizard Y to take advantage of its great wallbreaking abilities although it does have respectable Special Defense to utilize a bulkier spread. Will-O-Wisp is the main draw of the set as it cripples many switch-ins that don't expect it such as Sap Sipper Azumarill, Tyranitar on Dark, Garchomp on Ground, and Terrakion on Fighting (Solar Beam isn't going to OHKO if it's healthy and it's risky to go for it even if Cobalion is out on the field since it very likely will go for Thunder Wave.) Roost lets Charizard live longer and stall out burn turns. Other moves aren't too hard to understand. 160 Spe EVs allows Charizard to outspeed positive 75s and Adamant Excadrill without Sand Rusk activated. 92 SpA retains some of Charizard Y's offensive presense. 224 SpD EVs increases its above average SpD with the rest dumped into HP. Overall a very underrated set on both Fire and Flying.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I posted this in the general Monotype discussion thread a few days ago, but now I realize it would be a good thing to post here as well, so I'm mostly just going to copy and paste with a few minor edits.
Assault Vest Jirachi (Steel)

Naledi (Jirachi) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Charge Beam / Flash Cannon / Thunderbolt

My Steel team used to struggle a lot with Water. Ferrothorn wasn't working out for me as much as I wanted it to and Magnezone was always walled by the Water/Ground types. Infernape and Keldeo on Fighting were also serious concerns I had, and what Steel team doesn't have issues with Hydreigon? Sure, Scarf Rachi can probably work just as well against those threats, but I refused to ditch my Scarf Excadrill and I'd rather not have two scarf users. Not to mention I wanted Jirachi to be able to switch moves, so my AV Rachi set was born.

KEY: Green=Jirachi is attacking the opponent. Red=The opponent is attacking Jirachi.

Psyshock is your generic special STAB that deals with Infernape and Keldeo.

252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 265-315 (65.7 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Jirachi Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 318-374 (108.5 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 178-210 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 207-244 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Jirachi Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 260-308 (80.4 - 95.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Moonblast is mainly for Hydreigon, but it helps against other Dragons too.

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 242-289 (60 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Jirachi Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 416-492 (128 - 151.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Energy Ball is great coverage, but it's especially useful for Water/Ground types and Rotom-W.

252+ SpA Jirachi Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 392-464 (97 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Jirachi Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 508-600 (128.9 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Jirachi: 102-121 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Jirachi Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 170-200 (56.1 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Charge Beam makes use of Jirachi's Serene Grace to give it a 100% chance to boost SpA. I've always loved the Serene Grace Charge Beam combo, but in the past I only ever used it on AV Meloetta. Personally I prefer Charge Beam, but Flash Cannon is fine if you'd rather have a secondary STAB move instead and Thunderbolt is a better option if you strictly want Electric coverage and aren't interested in boosting.

Replay showing AV Jirachi at its best: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-306635458

This set is particularly helpful against Water teams, which Steel can sometimes struggle with. However, it can also be useful against many of Steel's biggest threats, as shown by the calcs above.

Last edited:
I'll just keep the ball rolling and post a set that I used awhile back with some success:
Defensive Carracosta (Rock)
74 / 108 / 133 / 83 / 65 / 32

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Knock Off

This isn't seen much in Monotype since Water / Rock isn't the best defensive typing out there, but on Rock (i doubt it could do much on Water), it can get the job done pretty well with enough support. It stands out as a bulky tank since it has great natural physical bulk and Solid Rock, as well as the useful, burn-inducing Scald. With Scald, you scare out stuff like Scizor, Skarmory, Jirachi, etc, which other Rock walls, like Aggron, Cradily, or Rhyperior, can't handle as easily. Combined with Solid Rock, it doesn't look as bulky as it actually is:

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 213-252 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 150-177 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 96-114 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- 51.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 84-100 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 105-126 (29.8 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ice Beam lets Carracosta take on Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, while Aqua Jet finishes off weakened Pokemon. The last moveslot is pretty flexible; Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Knock Off seem like the best options, but it just comes down to what support your team would appreciate more. Carracosta is held back by lack of recovery and competition with Rhyperior and Mega Aggron (although I like running Carracosta alongside Rhyperior), and in some matchups, Carracosta is pretty useless. It really shines against Steel and Ground teams though, so it is worth giving Carracosta a shot.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-287586131 vs. Ground
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-287166710 vs. Steel (Carracosta fainted early, but it put me in a good spot to win later on)

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Superpower

This is my Dragonite set. It might look like your everyday Choice Band Dragonite set but there's 1 key difference, Fire Blast. What Fire Blast does over Fire Punch is preserve Multiscale. This set should be used together with Mega Charizard Y because it setssun and that allows some 2hkos to strengthen up to a 1hko. This set can also be used against Mega Charizard Y if you don't have it on your team. I'm using Adamant Nature because the drop doesn't affects any 1hkos or 2hkos. 16 EVs helps 1hko Skarmory in sun, I also do not need the extra Speed EVs, because there are no other Pokémon around that speed tier until Diggersby. Most people use Earthquake on Choice Band Dragonite, but I prefer Superpower because it helps with Air Balloon Heatran and Normal Type Teams.

Calcs:
In the Sun
16- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory in Sun: 292-344 (87.6 - 103.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
16- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Sun: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
16- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg in Sun: 398-470 (101.2 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Out of the Sun
16- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 224-264 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 194-230 (58.2 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16- SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 292-344 (103.9 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
I'll just keep the ball rolling and post a set that I used awhile back with some success:
Defensive Carracosta (Rock)
74 / 108 / 133 / 83 / 65 / 32

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Knock Off

This isn't seen much in Monotype since Water / Rock isn't the best defensive typing out there, but on Rock (i doubt it could do much on Water), it can get the job done pretty well with enough support. It stands out as a bulky tank since it has great natural physical bulk and Solid Rock, as well as the useful, burn-inducing Scald. With Scald, you scare out stuff like Scizor, Skarmory, Jirachi, etc, which other Rock walls, like Aggron, Cradily, or Rhyperior, can't handle as easily. Combined with Solid Rock, it doesn't look as bulky as it actually is:

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 213-252 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 150-177 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 96-114 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- 51.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 84-100 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 105-126 (29.8 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ice Beam lets Carracosta take on Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, while Aqua Jet finishes off weakened Pokemon. The last moveslot is pretty flexible; Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Knock Off seem like the best options, but it just comes down to what support your team would appreciate more. Carracosta is held back by lack of recovery and competition with Rhyperior and Mega Aggron (although I like running Carracosta alongside Rhyperior), and in some matchups, Carracosta is pretty useless. It really shines against Steel and Ground teams though, so it is worth giving Carracosta a shot.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-287586131 vs. Ground
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-287166710 vs. Steel (Carracosta fainted early, but it put me in a good spot to win later on)
Would assault vest also be a viable item to tank special hits a bit better?

Specially Oriented Cloyster

Cloyster @ Focus Sash / White Herb / King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shell Smash

Special Cloyster is one of my favorite sets on ice. It is a great set that helps you beat threats you would have to use Lapras or Walrein instead. It can help you clear walls like Ferrothorn and Skarmory that wall most mons on ice and a great help vs fire teams once it smashes. It can also beat Mega Scizor as it can even Shell Smash on it with its great bulk. Oh, did I also mention this monster sweeps rock? Icicle Spear is your prefered ice STAB since it's stronger than Ice Beam and makes wallbreaking easier (also breaks through Multiscale and sashes). Naive nature is a must so you can outspeed scarf Terrakion after Shell Smash.

+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 392-464 (113.9 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 108-127 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO (some HP EVs can be used to prevent 2HKO)

+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 348-412 (98.8 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 358-423 (107.1 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 372-440 (96.3 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Might as well add a set I've been messing around with recently:

Zapdos @ Life Orb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice
- Agility
- Roost

This is a set I stumbled upon while looking through gen V analyses, and I find it surprisingly effective. It works as a late-game cleaner where the opponent is expecting a defensive set to support an otherwise offensive team, and after an agility it can beat many offensive mons. Its obvious competition comes from Thundurus-T's Agility set, however Zapdos boasts Roost alongside a whole lot more bulk, allowing it to do better in many situations. For example, if it gets an Agility off as Scarf Terrakion comes in it can PP stall Stone Edge due to Pressure and Roost removing its Flying typing. It also helps beat mons like Bisharp while the added bulk is useful for breaking through mons like Heatran.
160 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed adamant Exca in sand, however if this isn't important for you then 108 EVs will allow you to outspeed scarf base 110s. Even with LO 252+ SpA Zapdos won't be breaking walls, so it's important to use it later on in the game, especially against bulkier teams. The 2nd slot is variable depending on the rest of the team, and moves such as HP Grass or Baton Pass can be used if they would be more helpful.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Aqua Tail

This is a set that Sjado and I made on a balanced flying team. It is extremely useful as a late game sweeper, due to the speed, moxie ability, and versatile move pool. Also, this set is extremely helpful versus dragon (a type traditionally difficult for a flying team).

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of Zapdos sets, an underused one I've been using on some of my teams:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Discharge

Speed is to outspeed Bisharp and speed creep other Zapdos.

This set is really helpful as it can punch holes in some more defensive team builds, like Normal and Flying, two cores that are hard to beat for more defensive Flying teams. Usually, Flying's best way of beating Normal is to Knock Off everything's eviolite, or spam Banded Outrage with Dragonite, which isn't the most consistent. This set can set up a Substitute on Chansey or Porygon-2 and then stall it out with its moveset, as iirc most of the time they don't carry Heal Bell, and if they do they probably don't have Status so you win 1v1 via PP stall. Vs Flying, this thing is an absolute monster too, because usually Flying's check to Electric types is Zapdos itself, and this Zapdos beats it easily and usually can get another kill or two afterwards behind a sub. This set can also easily pp stall Landorus-T's Stone Edge with Substitute. This set also works well vs Psychic, Steel, and other types.

The set is best used with other defog support as obviously this set isn't using defog.

Speaking of Zapdos sets, an underused one I've been using on some of my teams:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Discharge

Speed is to outspeed Bisharp and speed creep other Zapdos.

This set is really helpful as it can punch holes in some more defensive team builds, like Normal and Flying, two cores that are hard to beat for more defensive Flying teams. Usually, Flying's best way of beating Normal is to Knock Off everything's eviolite, or spam Banded Outrage with Dragonite, which isn't the most consistent. This set can set up a Substitute on Chansey or Porygon-2 and then stall it out with its moveset, as iirc most of the time they don't carry Heal Bell, and if they do they probably don't have Status so you win 1v1 via PP stall. Vs Flying, this thing is an absolute monster too, because usually Flying's check to Electric types is Zapdos itself, and this Zapdos beats it easily and usually can get another kill or two afterwards behind a sub. This set can also easily pp stall Landorus-T's Stone Edge with Substitute. This set also works well vs Psychic, Steel, and other types.

The set is best used with other defog support as obviously this set isn't using defog.
This is a great set, the only thing I may comment is that discharge may get u into trouble by accidentally paralyzing a wall type Pokemon that switches into zapdos, where the real aim will be to toxic that Pokemon instead.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Aqua Tail

This is a set that Sjado and I made on a balanced flying team. It is extremely useful as a late game sweeper, due to the speed, moxie ability, and versatile move pool. Also, this set is extremely helpful versus dragon (a type traditionally difficult for a flying team).
I'm pretty sure that's the standard set in Monotype minus Aqua Tail. Speaking of which, you should explain Aqua Tail's use since it's the one move that isn't standard on Salamence.

I'm pretty sure that's the standard set in Monotype minus Aqua Tail. Speaking of which, you should explain Aqua Tail's use since it's the one move that isn't standard on Salamence.
Oh I really did not know this was a standard set, I'm fairly new to Monotype. And Aqua Tails use is primarily for coverage against other pokemon coming in that are immune to earthquake or have air baloon. For example, infernape switching into baloon tran, etc.... Also due to the fact that I could not really come up with a viable fourth option :) lol.

Its very specific in its use, but didn't feel the need to put a sp attack like draco meteor of fire blast due to the drop in stats of draco using it consecutively, or the need of fire blast as Chirazard-Y is also on the flying team.

Do you have any suggestions for the fourth move?

Last edited:

Subjugator

Banned deucer.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Superpower/Iron Head

I found this set on the DP Dex a few months ago, and I was absolutely amazed on how well this set works in Monotype. Tyranitar generally uses Support and Choiced Sets, making Physically Defensive Pokemon have an easy time switching into it. However, enter Mixed Tyranitar, who completely obliterates many of Tyranitar's checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Skarmory, Gliscor, and Ferrothorn, while also hurting things that may try to switch into Tyranitar or attempt to use it as setup fodder, such as Klefki, Azumarill, Magnezone, and Keldeo. Mixed Tyranitar is a really underrated set in my opinion that shines in a competitive environment such as Monotype

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse/Thunderbolt/Earth Power/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Superpower/Iron Head

I found this set on the DP Dex a few months ago, and I was absolutely amazed on how well this set works in Monotype. Tyranitar generally uses Support and Choiced Sets, making Physically Defensive Pokemon have an easy time switching into it. However, enter Mixed Tyranitar, who completely obliterates many of Tyranitar's checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Skarmory, Gliscor, and Ferrothorn, while also hurting things that may try to switch into Tyranitar or attempt to use it as setup fodder, such as Klefki, Azumarill, Magnezone, and Keldeo. Mixed Tyranitar is a really underrated set in my opinion that shines in a competitive environment such as Monotype
Mixed ttar is actually one of the more common sets ran in actuality, however, maybe look up on the Tyraniboah set and try that out for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)