Other Metagames Mix & Mega Speedy Hyper-Offensive (Peaked #4 on Ladder)

Hey guys, even though the Meta is soon to change heavily with the upcoming release of Sun and Moon, I figured I might as well share my team with you all.

I reached number 4 on the ladder with this team easily breaking 1600 ladder points, and find it very effective.

Speedy Hyper-Offence: Speed + Huge Offensive Power Creates Less Need for Bulk.

Noivern @ Salamencite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute

Noivern functions as my general lead, to do lots of damage with that STAB Aerialate Boomburst and can 2HKO most neutral damage mons if not 1HKO, and can outspeed most mons before mega evolution. I will never play Noivern if I see a Weavile as Weavile commonly runs x4 Fake Out for easy IHKO. If I see a common suicide lead mon such as Deoxys-defense or Klef I will often opt to lead with Lando-T as I can set up with SD very easily without much risk of enough damage to get killed by an atespeed.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
Groudon-Primal is the bulk of the team, being able to switch into a water type move or a pixspeed easily. A mostly standard Pdon set, but with Thunder to surprise those Blue Orb Skarmony users who try to switch in to remove Desolate Land.

Landorus-Therian @ Blazikenite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
Landorus-Therian is the most dangerous sweeper of the team, with Blazikenite being able to rack up huge speed and STAB EQ that destroys all - especially with a swords dance. Watch out for Weavile again as Fake Out has x4 weakness, and feint breaks protect. Getting walled by Blissey? SD up to get over that 50% recovery from wish/soft boiled.

Gengar @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Gengar is a great mon with great speed and great offensive capabilities. No Guard provides capabilities with powerful attacks to provide great Special Attack coverage. As Pidgeotite gives +65 special attack, Gengar can outspeed most mons and land hypnosis before forcing a switch in or huge damage. If you want to use Hex instead of Shadow Ball it can be very effective as you can get the double damage from the sleep status condition.

Entei @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bulldoze
- Return
- Extreme Speed
Entei is your average ate-speeder, with Bulldoze to take on PDon if you feel tricky for speed loss or Red Orb Raikou for x4 damage. Flare Blitz gives more damage in oppose to Sacred Fire at the price of some recoil, but you will be using Extreme Speed or Return most of the time. Use to counter Weavile as can hurt your team.

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
Cobalion is the secondary sweeper of the team, with great speed and typing being able to take out many threats. Quick attack can provide some relief against Blazikenite mons and Iron Head can work well against those Fairy mons. Swords Dance is a reliable set up to take on Blissey and other bulky Water Mons that Lando will have more trouble with.

But there it is, my team. Even though Sun and Moon will be coming out with new Mons, there will be no new Megas and we're all excited to see how the new meta will play out.

- Durza

Noivern @ Salamencite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute

Entei @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bulldoze
- Return
- Extreme Speed

Landorus-Therian @ Blazikenite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Gengar @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Hey, nice team. I've been playing around with it for a bit and it's worked fairly well. One thing I think could be improved though is your Noivern moveset. It's poor bulk for mix and mega standards and typing means that it can't really stall anything out with toxic, and so I've found that I rarely actually use the middle two moveslots at all. That's why I'd recommend changing Toxic > Focus Blast to hit things like Terrakion, Heatran, Blue Orb Ferrothorn, Mamoswine and Mega Kangaskhan, as well as Roost > Heat Wave so you can beat non-Blue Orb ferrothorn, Klinklang, Gourgeist, Metagross, Excadrill and Jirachi. You could also opt for Substitute > Draco Meteor if you want a secondary STAB, but I've found that it doesn't offer as much utility as substitute, as Noivern is able to force a lot of switches.

Primal Groudon looks good but I think that putting thunder on it is a little odd. After all, you're only really using it to hit Blue Orb Skarmory, which you can already deal with using Gengar + Noivern. Instead of that, you could easily run Thunder > Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is a great utility move and there's really not much reason not to use it on most teams. It helps especially in racking up damage vs common -ate users like Arcanine and Entei.

Landorus-Therian's moveset looks good, not much to change really, it's a pretty great sweeper in general. You could potentially run 184 speed EVs on it if you want to be able to outspeed Pinsirite/Gengarite Gengar when you're at +1, but that's up to you.

Nothing to change with Gengar really, although I generally prefer running Shadow Ball > Hex as the combination of a 100% accurate Hypnosis + Hex is really threatening to most teams.

I think that Bulldoze on Entei is a bit of a wasted moveslot to be honest. Even against Primal Groudon it only does around 30% damage, and PDon couldn't care less about the speed drop, and can then go on to kill it with Precipice Blades/Earthquake. Red Orb Raikou isn't all that common in my experience, and when you do come across it, you're more likely to be hitting Extreme Speed than Bulldoze. The only other thing of note that doesn't like a Bulldoze is Heatran, but that usually runs Latiasite. So I would recommend changing Bulldoze > Stone Edge. That way you deal more damage against opposing Entei and Arcanine. You still get completely destroyed by Groudon, but oh well. I'd also say that changing Flare Blitz > Sacred Fire is a good idea, because that 50% burn chance is really nice, and that way you don't take recoil as well.

Lastly, Cobalion is a pretty cool secondary wincon. I would suggest however, that you get rid of iron head. The only semi-relevant fairy in the meta that I can think of off the top of my head is Xerneas, but I don't think people are using it much anymore anyway. In it's place, you could go with Iron Head > Close Combat. Sure, you miss out on secondary STAB, but the only real reason you're going to be using Iron Head over Return is if the opponent resists flying, and the most common flying resists are steel types themselves. With Close Combat, you can break through Ferrothorn, non-Pinsirite Cobalion, Heatran and Excadrill. It also comes with the bonus of actually being able to hit Skarmory neutrally.

So yeah, that's all I have to say. Good luck with your team!

Hey, nice team. I've been playing around with it for a bit and it's worked fairly well. One thing I think could be improved though is your Noivern moveset. It's poor bulk for mix and mega standards and typing means that it can't really stall anything out with toxic, and so I've found that I rarely actually use the middle two moveslots at all. That's why I'd recommend changing Toxic > Focus Blast to hit things like Terrakion, Heatran, Blue Orb Ferrothorn, Mamoswine and Mega Kangaskhan, as well as Roost > Heat Wave so you can beat non-Blue Orb ferrothorn, Klinklang, Gourgeist, Metagross, Excadrill and Jirachi. You could also opt for Substitute > Draco Meteor if you want a secondary STAB, but I've found that it doesn't offer as much utility as substitute, as Noivern is able to force a lot of switches.

Primal Groudon looks good but I think that putting thunder on it is a little odd. After all, you're only really using it to hit Blue Orb Skarmory, which you can already deal with using Gengar + Noivern. Instead of that, you could easily run Thunder > Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is a great utility move and there's really not much reason not to use it on most teams. It helps especially in racking up damage vs common -ate users like Arcanine and Entei.

Landorus-Therian's moveset looks good, not much to change really, it's a pretty great sweeper in general. You could potentially run 184 speed EVs on it if you want to be able to outspeed Pinsirite/Gengarite Gengar when you're at +1, but that's up to you.

Nothing to change with Gengar really, although I generally prefer running Shadow Ball > Hex as the combination of a 100% accurate Hypnosis + Hex is really threatening to most teams.

I think that Bulldoze on Entei is a bit of a wasted moveslot to be honest. Even against Primal Groudon it only does around 30% damage, and PDon couldn't care less about the speed drop, and can then go on to kill it with Precipice Blades/Earthquake. Red Orb Raikou isn't all that common in my experience, and when you do come across it, you're more likely to be hitting Extreme Speed than Bulldoze. The only other thing of note that doesn't like a Bulldoze is Heatran, but that usually runs Latiasite. So I would recommend changing Bulldoze > Stone Edge. That way you deal more damage against opposing Entei and Arcanine. You still get completely destroyed by Groudon, but oh well. I'd also say that changing Flare Blitz > Sacred Fire is a good idea, because that 50% burn chance is really nice, and that way you don't take recoil as well.

Lastly, Cobalion is a pretty cool secondary wincon. I would suggest however, that you get rid of iron head. The only semi-relevant fairy in the meta that I can think of off the top of my head is Xerneas, but I don't think people are using it much anymore anyway. In it's place, you could go with Iron Head > Close Combat. Sure, you miss out on secondary STAB, but the only real reason you're going to be using Iron Head over Return is if the opponent resists flying, and the most common flying resists are steel types themselves. With Close Combat, you can break through Ferrothorn, non-Pinsirite Cobalion, Heatran and Excadrill. It also comes with the bonus of actually being able to hit Skarmory neutrally.

So yeah, that's all I have to say. Good luck with your team!
Agree completely with Noivern. All I really use is boom anyway, but you're 100% right.

Groudon always gets switched into by Blue orb Skarm, and Thunder can 2hko it easily plus outspeeding. Most useful coverage move on any mon on this team imo.

I was thinking between Bulldoze and Stone Edge, and it could go either way. The main reason I use Bulldoze is for the speed loss on other Groudons so I don't have to worry about speed ties with mine. But it could go either way.

Cobalion's Iron Head is great against Altarianite Zygar, which is it's main use. Return will do neutral damage to Ferro and Non-pinsirite cobal anyway, and A SD can put Excadrill out of the way easy. I'd switch out against Heatran no matter what as that fire weakness.

Thanks for your input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)