Other Metagames MIX and MEGA (Peaked #1 on the Ladder)

Racool's MnM Generic-ish Balance

Introduction:

Ive always wanted to make a good RMT, but the main problem I faced was that the only ladders I topped were ones where I laddered using a team that was not mine. Out of all the teams I have made myself, this is definitely one of my most successful, and having topped the ladder yesterday with it, I figured now was the best time to make a RMT! The idea behind the team was: fast powerful offense to get rid of all blissey threats so that blissey could sweep. However mons such as pinsirite coballion and pigeotite gengar also have proved to be successful wincons/late game sweepers for my team if played right.

The Team

Gengar @ Pigeotite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

This was in fact the first mon I put into this team purely because of how good it is. 90% of my MNM battles, I start with gengar, as its just so threatening. Its high base speed means that it outspeeds most other leads, and no guard means you put your opponent's lead to sleep most of the time. Gengar already had quite high special attack, and with the +65 base Special attack boost from pigeotite... well needless to say it hits pretty hard. In fact, the only really viable switch in for this gengar is atually blissey, everything else takes so much damage. In addition to being an excellent lead most of the time, its a fanstastic late game sweeper. if you get rid of your opponent's sablenite mons, and any faster mons than gengar (like weavile for example) gengar usually can clean up quite nicely.

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Seismic Toss
- Psychic
Sablenite Blissey is the best Spd wall in the meta by miles, and with the defense boosts and the quite frankly absurdly high HP, it is a really solid all-round tank. In addition, its probably the best pigeotite gengar counter in the game. Pigeotite gengar focus blast: 34.5% max without any calm mind boosts and no Spd investment, and magic bounce means that hypnosis is useless. Furthermore, psychic means that Blissey can hit gengar really hard and gives it extra coverage in general, as well as extra pp on attacking moves which is crucial if you're caught in a stall-fest. With calm mind it can quite easily sweep teams so long as any physical boosting attackers have been taken out (as well as any lucarionite keldeo's and any calm mind + psyshock +recovery mons). Many a rage quit have been because of this blissey set, and i go into most battles with it as my primary wincon.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt

The only ubers mon on my team happens to also be the most overused mon in ubers. P-don occupies the defensive tank slot on my team. The main role for P-don in this team is simply as a defensive switch-in especially for altarianite entei. Its other use is a reliable Stealth rock setter. Due to the prevalence of mons like entei, sr being up can be a major hindrance for your opponent, and defog isn't as common in mnm (at least from my point of view). The Spd investment is quite simply so that it can tank Special attacks far better. I never stay in on a special attacker with P-don, but occasionally you get a mixed set and due to P-Don's lack of recovery, it being able to tank special attacks (with its 280 Spd)moderately well is quite handy. Also, alternatively, you can run roar on P-don instead of P-blades. I personally run P-blades in order to take out mons such as altarianite entei, and to deal damage to other P-Dons.

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack

My favourite mon of the team hands down. Once again, this is just a really standard pinsirite coballion set (bit of a running theme of standard sets with this team) and anyone who plays MnM even a bit will have come across a pinsirite coballion at some point. The main reasons for Coballions inclusion in this team are as follows [1] Great speed and Attack. with the pinsirite boosts, coballion has a fearsome 120 base attack, and 128 base speed. In battle, it has 390 speed, which outspeeds most mons in the meta, as well as boosted, STAB, Frustration and Quick attack. After a swords dance, this mon is terrifying to come up against. [2] Great typing and natural bulk. When it mega evolves, its typing becomes steel/flying, which is probably one of the best type combinations in this meta in my opinion. It has a crucial resist to fairy types (meaning it can beat things like altarianite zygarde) and also a ground immunity. This typing, combined with its naturally great defense (149 base defense!) means it can tank a lot of hits. This in turn means that more often than not, it will be able to get a swords dance up, and devastate the opposing team. With taunt, it can set up easily on skarm (which seems to be a common switchin to this coba) sd + frustration to take it out. Watch out for mons like P-Don though, as even a +2 frustration is still only a 2KHO.

Entei @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Stone Edge

There isn't much to say about this mon, that anyone who plays MnM wouldn't know already. Every team needs an ekiller, and the best 3 options are entei, arcanine, and zygarde. I personally use entei because [1] It has the highest base attack out of the three options mentioned above [2] With altarianite it gets a typing of fire/fairy which is in my opinion a very good typing as it is resistant to other pixialate espeed spam [3] Sacred fire is such a good move to have due to that super high burn chance (50%). In terms of the actual set, its quite self explanatory. Espeed for priority, sacred fire for coverage and burn, return for more powerful STAB when priority isn't needed, and stone edge for coverage, mostly against other entei's. My only major qualm with entei is how poor its shiny is. I mean can you even tell the difference?!

Mew @ Ampharosite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 4 SpA / 148 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Psychic
- Roar
Mew is quite a few things for my team. [1] Its a great switch-in mon. It has naturally good bulk and defenses, only improved with ampharosite. Due to that and its great typing of psychic/dragon, its probably one of the best switch-ins for lucarionite Keldeo, and believe be there aren't many other viable switch-ins. [2] Great will-o-wisp user. Blissey can beat most special attackers, so naturally the more threatening mons to this team are mostly physical attackers. However physical attackers are not nearly as scary when they'r burned. Due to its bulk and typing, it mostly gets off a wow quite easily, without dying in the process. It doesnt do to well against certain physical attackers (such as altarianite zygarde) but thats fine because P-don is there for that. [3] Mold Breaker. Due to ampharosite, mew gains the ability Mold breaker. This can prove crucial against sablenite mons without a form of status healing, as a burn makes it much harder for the mon to stall. Furthermore, against mons such as suicune (which have a form of status recovery, and boost using calm mind) the ability to 'roar' the mon away is helpful. [4] With ampharosite +50 base Spa, mew actually hits surprisingly hard despite the minimal Spa investment.​

1. Set up physical offense (e.g pinsirite klingklang, blazikenite lando, and altarianite/pinsirite zygarde) The biggest issue for this team hands down is if a mon can boost both its speed and attack. The positive is that these mons almost never have a form of recovery, so chipping away at them is viable. The best outcome against klingklang is if you can predict well and have mew get a will-o-wisp on it. However this doesn't really work with altarianite zygarde (because mew gains dragon type, and zygarde can take mew out easily with +1 pixialate espeed). Alternatively you can switch out into coballion.

2. Sablenite set-up (e.g suicune and blissey) Sablenite is a really big pain to deal with in general, especially when the mons using them have access to recovery and status healing (rest for suicune, soft-boiled and heal bell for blissey, etc.) If you see that your opponent has blissey, keep coballion alive at all costs. In general, blissey cant touch a coballion at full health, and then all you need to do is swords dance up and spam frustration. Suicune is slightly more annoying as scald burns every time essentially. In the case of suicune, entei is a guaranteed 3HKO with pixialate return, so switch into entei when its gonna use rest, and spam return. Alternatively you can try to out-stall it with blissey, but again scald burn is annoying, and it will go through its rests far slower than blissey will go through its soft-boild's. However because of seismic toss, blissey will normally win these matchups, or at least stall the suicune out of scald's, so that entei can come in and take it out. Against any sablenite mon which doesnt have a form of status healing, I would recommend getting a wow on it as soon as possible using mew.

3. Primal Groudon the problem with this mon is that there isn't much of a switch-in for it. It can be physical, special, or mixed, making it unpredictable, and it can be devastating to mons like coba and entei. The positive is that it has no form of recovery, so the best way I've found of dealing with it seems to be to simply wear it down until a frustration from coba, or a shadow ball from gengar can take it out, but this usually results in at least 1 mon being taken out due once again to the lack of switch-ins.

Pinsirite Klingklang instead of coballion: Initially I actually used this mon instead of coballion. It does work very well as a late game sweeper and it has the same merits as coballion when it comes to typing and bulk. However I personally feel that coballion has much better chemistry with this team, because its high speed makes it a great revenge killer without the constant need to boost.

Red orb Gliscor: I only found out how great this mon can be recently after a battle with Rosa Lyn. That was in fact the first time I've ever seen red orb gliscor, but it is actually an incredible entei counter. In fact it is simply a less hard-hitting version of p-don, with slightly less bulk, but with recovery. Ill probably try it out more now, but its definitely an option instead of P-don from what I've seen so far.

Conclusion

Overall, I think jrdn described this team most eloquently as simply "a mash of 6 op mnm mons". Essentially that's all this team is. There are no meme's and all the sets are pretty standard. However for some reason, I've found this team to have great chemistry, and it's quite easy to play with. Laddering was very quick with it, and I only lost 9 matches with it (4 of them were dc'es as well) out of 96 total matches. I personally feel that it can beat any MnM team out there if you play it right and if your predicts are good/lucky.​

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic
- Seismic Toss
- Calm Mind

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack

H-entei (Entei) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Stone Edge

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt

Mew @ Ampharosite
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Psychic
- Roar​

Gengar @ Pidgeotite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Ladder MNM.png

gg vs Jeran: example of taking out blissey threats and sweeping with blissey
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-470478169
Haxy af game vs QT: We've played quite a bit, but unfortunately I only saved the worst 2 replays. Got very lucky:(

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-470585264
Another game vs QT: Very lucky with the predict in the beginning
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-470592702

*I didn't think of saving the replays of my matches against good players until I actually started making this rmt, but I will hopefully be adding some actually good battles to this section in the next couple of days*

Last edited:

Gengar @ Pigeotite
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

This was in fact the first mon I put into this team purely because of how good it is. 90% of my MNM battles, I start with gengar, as its just so threatening. Its high base speed means that it outspeeds most other leads, and no guard means you put your opponent's lead to sleep most of the time. Gengar already had quite high special attack, and with the +65 base Special attack boost from pigeotite... well needless to say it hits pretty hard. In fact, the only really viable switch in for this gengar is atually blissey, everything else takes so much damage. In addition to being an excellent lead most of the time, its a fanstastic late game sweeper. if you get rid of your opponent's sablenite mons, and any faster mons than gengar (like weavile for example) gengar usually can clean up quite nicely.
Not much to say here, but consider running Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave, as if you poison Blissey you can beat it after rocks.

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack

My favourite mon of the team hands down. Once again, this is just a really standard pinsirite coballion set (bit of a running theme of standard sets with this team) and anyone who plays MnM even a bit will have come across a pinsirite coballion at some point. The main reasons for Coballions inclusion in this team are as follows [1] Great speed and Attack. with the pinsirite boosts, coballion has a fearsome 120 base attack, and 128 base speed. In battle, it has 390 speed, which outspeeds most mons in the meta, as well as boosted, STAB, Frustration and Quick attack. After a swords dance, this mon is terrifying to come up against. [2] Great typing and natural bulk. When it mega evolves, its typing becomes steel/flying, which is probably one of the best type combinations in this meta in my opinion. It has a crucial resist to fairy types (meaning it can beat things like altarianite zygarde) and also a ground immunity. This typing, combined with its naturally great defense (149 base defense!) means it can tank a lot of hits. This in turn means that more often than not, it will be able to get a swords dance up, and devastate the opposing team. Watch out for mons like P-Don though, as even a +2 frustration is still only a 2KHO.
Once again, I'd like to recommend returning to Klingklang. It fixes a lot of issues your team has, and cant be revenge KOed by the likes of Mega Gengar. It also requires far less chip to defeat Thundurus, and has a useful premega ability in Clear Body. I understand why you want Cobalion, but Klingklang doens't lose to the likes of Skarmory.

Mew @ Ampharosite
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Psychic
- Roar
Mew is quite a few things for my team. [1] Its a great switch-in mon. It has naturally good bulk and defenses, only improved with ampharosite. Due to that and its great typing of psychic/dragon, its probably one of the best switch-ins for lucarionite Keldeo, and believe be there aren't many other viable switch-ins. [2] Great will-o-wisp user. Blissey can beat most special attackers, so naturally the more threatening mons to this team are mostly physical attackers. However physical attackers are not nearly as scary when they'r burned. Due to its bulk and typing, it mostly gets off a wow quite easily, without dying in the process. It doesnt do to well against certain physical attackers (such as altarianite zygarde) but thats fine because P-don is there for that. [3] Mold Breaker. Due to ampharosite, mew gains the ability Mold breaker. This can prove crucial against sablenite mons without a form of status healing, as a burn makes it much harder for the mon to stall. Furthermore, against mons such as suicune (which have a form of status recovery, and boost using calm mind) the ability to 'roar' the mon away is helpful. [4] With ampharosite +50 base Spa, mew actually hits surprisingly hard despite the minimal Spa investment.
Please run 4 spe instead of Spa for winning ties vs other Ampharosite mew. Preferably 8 or 12, actually.

Anyway, great team. Sorry this wasn't longer, but there isn't much to improve lol.

E: One thing I noticed also is that you should probably try Taunt on Cobalion if you keep it, as that beats Skarmory and stops opposing boosting sweepers, which you said you had issues with (also beats wisp)

lol why am I running sludge wave, thought it was sludge bomb Xd, yea 20% more chance for poison > 5 more base damage. As for klingklang... well im really just up in the air about it tbh, sometimes i kinda want to switch back, but then coba will sweep a team and ill prefer coba again :p. Defo giving mew that extra speed tho, nice spot! Thanks for the feedback :))
Edit: Omg can't believe i didnt think of taunt, skarm cant ww me anymore :) thanks!!

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there Racool . As I promised, I am here to rate your team for you, so here goes nothing! :)
  • I will start off by saying the Pokemon themselves are very solid, so this rate will focus moreso on individual changes for each specific Pokemon. First up, I feel like with Sablenite, CM Blissey is not the best option to have and while you use it in conjunction with Psychic to take down Gengar, you can just run Shadow Ball > Calm Mind and Psychic to do that and free up a slot. That last slot is very customizable as you can run Toxic/Thunder Wave/Healing Wish to support the team as need be. Toxic and Thunder Wave can cripple a lot of set up Pokemon, that you mention in the threatlist, since Blissey can become setup bait for them while Healing Wish can help the team play more aggressively and cure Cobalion if it happens to get burned or paralyzed.

Calm Mind ---> Toxic/Thunder Wave/Healing Wish
Psychic ---> Shadow Ball
  • Next up, I feel like the EVs and moves on Pdon need to be fixed immediately. First off, I suggest running a Relaxed nature > Calm as you want all of its moves to hit as hard as possible. the 24 Speed EVs can then be shifted into SpD to take special moves easier. Next up, Thunderbolt is "too safe" of an option on Primal Groudon as the point of running an Electric move is to check Blue Orb Skarmory so I would suggest running Thunder > Thunderbolt because it becomes 100% accurate in Heavy Rain and does more damage while also sporting a sizeable chance to paralyze the opponent.

Calm Nature ---> Relaxed Nature
Thunderbolt ---> Thunder
  • Next up, since you have PDon to essentially check Altarianite Entei, I feel like, while not necessary, you can opt to run Howl or Will-o-Wisp > Stone Edge as this can provide Entei with better options to wallbreak or cripple switchins such as Blue Orb Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

Stone Edge ---> Howl or Will-o-Wisp
  • Roar on Mew doesn't do terribly much against common setup sweepers as Will-o-Wisp can cripple most, if not all of them. Furthermore, you have no real way to check Sablenite mons such as Blissey and opposing Mew. For this reason, going with Taunt > Roar gives you the option to force them to attack, allowing Mew to wear them down with burn damage and allow your win condition, Cobalion, to set up and subsequently sweep.

Roar ---> Taunt
  • Lastly, since I put Taunt on Mew, allowing the team to have a more effective stallbreaker, I would suggest using Close Combat > Taunt allows Cobalion to hit opposing Steel-types such as Skarmory and Heatran and gain at best fantastic neutral coverage with its "STABs" and Close Combat.

Taunt ---> Close Combat

Hopefully this helps your team patch up the weaknesses you mentioned, and good luck with the changes I provided n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)