Metagame Metagamiate

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine

Art made by Pipotchi
Welcome back to Metagamiate, where every single Pokemon gets an -ate Ability on top of their old one! ...well nowadays it's more like -ate or -ize ability now but you get the jist.
How does it work? Well, I just told you, but let me go over it again. Each and every Pokemon has an -ate ability. What -ate ability? Any one of them, including 13 other ones that haven't been made yet! What it means is simple. Each Pokemon's Normal moves get boosted in power by 20%, and transform to either their primary type (For instance, Electric type for Pikachu, and Ghost type for Mimikyu) or their secondary type if they're Shiny! (Electric for Pikachu, Fairy for Mimikyu)

Rules:
All Pokemon gain an intrinsic -ate ability corresponding to their first type if not shiny, and second type (if applicable) if shiny. This ability cannot be removed, and the Pokemon's old abilities still have their effects. Shiny locking is removed such that all Pokemon can take advantage of this mechanic.

Banlist:
Clauses: OU Clauses
Bans: OU Banlist, Dragonite, Kyurem-Black
Unbans: None

Strategy:
It's all about using and abusing Normal-type moves, for the most part, and finding stuff that's able to take it on. Watch out for the inevitable complaints about Aerilate Noivern and make sure you can take boosted attacks like Return and Frustration, or just outspeed and do that yourself. Also watch out for Extreme Speed.

Q&A:
Q: I'm Normal type. Now what?
A: You get a 20% boost in power in Normal moves. That's basically it, no type change is done in that case.

Q: What happens when you change typing?
A: Your -ate ability will change too, to correspond with your new typing, assuming the type change applies to the -ate ability.

Q: I already have an -ate/-ize ability. Now what?
A: The already existing one will have priority over the new one. As an example, a non-shiny Gardevoir-Mega will still have Pixilate.

Q: What happened to the gale wings question?
A: Will anyone actually use gale wings in generation 7?

Q: How will Breakneck Blitz work with the -ate/-ize abilities?
A: The same way it works normally: it doesn't. Z Moves ignore the user's ability (for the most part), and this is no exception. Could be a strategy?

Resources:
Playable on Dragon Heaven!
Regulate (Normal)
Gladiate (Fighting)
Aerilate (Flying)
Contaminate (Poison)
Terrate (Ground)
Fossilize (Rock)
Infestate (Bug)
Spectrate (Ghost)
Metallate (Steel)
Immolate (Fire)
Hydrate (Water)
Germinate (Grass)
Galvanize (Electric)
Hypnotize (Psychic)
Refrigerate (Ice)
Slaviate (Dragon)
Terrorize (Dark)
Pixilate (Fairy)
Metagamiate (Metagame)
If you have a better name I'm down for suggestions too you know
Code:
//to be placed within config/formats.js, where appropriate
    {
        name: "[Gen 7] Metagamiate",
        desc: `Every Pokémon gains an intrinsic -ate ability matching its primary type, or its secondary type if shiny.`,
        threads: [
            `&bullet; <a href="https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3604808/">Metagamiate</a>`,
        ],

mod: 'metagamiate',
        ruleset: ['[Gen 7] OU'],
        banlist: ['Dragonite', 'Kyurem-Black'],
        onModifyMovePriority: -1,
        onModifyMove: function (move, source) {
            if (move.type === 'Normal' && !['judgment', 'multiattack', 'naturalgift', 'revelationdance', 'technoblast', 'weatherball'].includes(move.id) && !move.isZ && move.category !== 'Status') {
                if (source.hasAbility(['aerilate', 'pixilate', 'refrigerate', 'galvanize', 'normalize'])) return;
                // @ts-ignore
                move.isMetagamiate = true;
                move.type = source.getTypes().length < 2 || !source.set.shiny ? source.getTypes()[0] : source.getTypes()[1];
            }
        },
        onBasePowerPriority: 8,
        onBasePower: function (basePower, attacker, defender, move) {
            // @ts-ignore
            if (move.isMetagamiate) return this.chainModify([0x1333, 0x1000]);
        },
},
//to be placed within mods/metagamiate/scripts.js
'use strict';

/**@type {ModdedBattleScriptsData} */
let BattleScripts = {
    init: function () {
        for (let pokemon in this.data.FormatsData) {
            let pokeData = this.modData('FormatsData', pokemon);
            if (pokeData.eventPokemon) {
                for (const event of pokeData.eventPokemon) {
                    event.shiny = 1;
                }
            }
        }
    },
};
exports.BattleScripts = BattleScripts;

Made by Arhops

Last edited:
Just wanted to post a Slaviate Zygarde set, but realized it was shiny locked. Should be something to keep in mind.
EDIT: nvm I'm retarded and forgot that Zygarde is primarily Dragon. Still, it's a valid point for other mons.

Pikachuun

Just wanted to post a Slaviate Zygarde set, but realized it was shiny locked. Should be something to keep in mind.
Well, technically, Slaviate Zygarde is the only legal one, it's Terrate that it's blocked from, assuming shiny locking won't be disabled completely later on.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
it's baaaaaack

Tapu Koko and Kartana are going to be nuts. Metallate Kartana gets approximately a 75% power boost while Koko gets Dual STAB or an upgrade to Wild Charge (either way, Physical > Special). Zygarde will be cool too with Espeed (yay!), though this hasn't changed significantly from last gen.

edit: also requesting that we don't spend like 5 pages debating the -ate names, it's a complete waste of time and was irritating to sift through last gen

Haha boi, best om finally here.

Time to take a look at what's new.

Haha look at this boi, galvanize return and quick attack, straight from aaa with just a minor difference, it gets to keep terrain on top of boosted returns.

Look at this damage:
252 Atk Choice Band Galvanize Tapu Koko Return vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 543-640 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

That's an OHKO on chansey famo, not many mons can claim to be able to OHKO chansey on a neutral hit.

252 Atk Choice Band Galvanize Tapu Koko Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern in Electric Terrain: 493-582 (158.5 - 187.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course it would OHKO noivern, but still, it's worth noting. The only problem with this mon is that it might give a free switchin to one of the most threatening mons in the meta.

We all know what zygarde does, one of the more threatening mons in the meta, an S rank candidate last gen. And now it's back with a brand new shiny move to take care of all that laughed at him. This mon is gonna be a savage.

Call it a noivern counter lmao. Kommo-o was an interesting mon but unfortunately didn't get the stabs it wanted. Metagamiate fixes that assuming you run this fashion looking pink kommo-o. But what's more is that Kommo-o actually has access to soundproof meaning it can potentially switch on one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the meta, noivern.

And just think about it for a second, a noivern locked on return. You send in Kommo-o, you sub as they switch out, you belly drum as they break the sub, you activate salac berry..... ?
Or just be a pussy an run a dd set w/e.

What's that? Did I just hear Mimikyu gets a non shit stab? No way.
Who knew the pikachu mon of this gen would actually be good? (well to be fair a lot of ppl expected it so w/e) The problem with mimikyuu is that its stab are either piss weak or miss everytime. But who knows, maybe in this meta Mimikyuu will actually shine.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Return vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor-Mega: 331-390 (96.5 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Yes I know it gets like no moves at all. But you know what it does get? That's right, Psychic surge will be insanely useful for some HO team who don't appreciate getting 6-0d by a lucario. I doubt it's the end of espeed spam, but at least it's a good check to it.

WHAT'S THAT? DID I JUST HEAR PSYCHIC TERRAIN?

It's ya boi former S rank medicham mega, most ridiculous wallbreaker in any meta ever maybe a slight exaggeration. And it got quite a significant boost. Less talking more damage calcs.

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Psychic Terrain: 217-256 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew in Psychic Terrain: 231-273 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Double-Edge vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia in Psychic Terrain: 204-241 (46.2 - 54.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade in Psychic Terrain: 151-178 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 151-178 (38.4 - 45.2%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 151-178 (38.4 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Lmao nice wall.

Anyway that's about all that's new and relevant, there's a few new unblockable spinners but nobody cares about that. I don't really know how the meta will shape up to be, but with the lack of mega altaria and the new ridiculous threats, stall seems as dead as ever.

Also worth mentioning for ppl not particularly familiar with the meta, the old VR still holds some good insight on what mons are good/bad.

Mega metagross is banned so mega aero seems wild too.

it's baaaaaack

Tapu Koko and Kartana are going to be nuts. Metallate Kartana gets approximately a 75% power boost while Koko gets Dual STAB or an upgrade to Wild Charge (either way, Physical > Special). Zygarde will be cool too with Espeed (yay!), though this hasn't changed significantly from last gen.

edit: also requesting that we don't spend like 5 pages debating the -ate names, it's a complete waste of time and was irritating to sift through last gen
Kartana can't run steelium or w/e unfortunately.

Return/Frustration on Hydrate Araquanid might be something. With everything else hitting harder, I'm not sure how effective it would be though.

Damn, is shiny Kartana unobtainable or something? Seems a little silly to have that kind of restrictions in OM.
A bunch of legendaries are shiny locked, Koko just got recently released as shiny in japan via event or smt.

Return/Frustration on Hydrate Araquanid might be something. With everything else hitting harder, I'm not sure how effective it would be though.
Ya I was wondering if that would be good, but I feel like it's probably outclassed by azu / crawdaunt.

Pikachuun

Damn, is shiny Kartana unobtainable or something? Seems a little silly to have that kind of restrictions in OM.
Well there's that, and also that you can't run Steelium Z to boost an originally normal-type move, unfortunately.

Call it a noivern counter lmao. Kommo-o was an interesting mon but unfortunately didn't get the stabs it wanted. Metagamiate fixes that assuming you run this fashion looking pink kommo-o. But what's more is that Kommo-o actually has access to soundproof meaning it can potentially switch on one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the meta, noivern.

And just think about it for a second, a noivern locked on return. You send in Kommo-o, you sub as they switch out, you belly drum as they break the sub, you activate salac berry..... ?
Or just be a pussy an run a dd set w/e.
Sounds like a silly af way to deal with Noivern but I like, just watch out for Draco
Also ye Tapu Koko's gonna hit like a small truck, better bring your Excadrill for spin and dealing with this monster

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Stone Edge / Megahorn
- Wood Hammer / Horn Leech

Tapu Bulu appreciates power without recoil from Return, which just beats outWood Hammer in power and makes running both Stone Edge and Megahorn reasonable.

Tapu Bulu finally gets a physical fairy stab that isn't Kee Berry Natural Gift! Yay!

Other sets include SD, I think subseed still wants Horn Leech. Overall I think the Tapus will be pretty crazy here.

Last edited:
Really wish Z Hyper Beam and Giga Impact could be a thing :(
Aerilate Celesteela could be really nice with a physical Autotomize set. It also gets Explosion which could be fun too.
All the Silvally forms appreciate a strong STAB but I'm not sure how viable it is.
Whimsicott with Nature Power seems fun too but once again I don't think it's the most viable thing.

Marowak-Alola seems promising.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Happiness: 0
- Frustration
- Shadow Bone

Lightning Rod sets have access to strong and non-suicidal Fire STAB while still being able to check Electric types (Galvanize Tapu Koko is now a thing).

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
- Frustration
- Flare Blitz

Alternatively, Rock Head gains atomic Ghost STAB to go along with its atomic Flare Blitzes.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

Tapu Bulu appreciates power without recoil from Return, which just beats outWood Hammer in power and makes running both Stone Edge and Megahorn reasonable.

Other sets include SD, I think subseed still wants Horn Leech. Overall I think the Tapus will be pretty crazy here.

In my opinion, I think Tapu Bulu should be shiny so it actually gets some Fairy STAB move. Wood Hammer is okay since you do get some recovery out of Grassy Terrain (definitely not enough, but lets you get at least another hit in before killing yourself)

edit: rip

Basically, this metagame should be called Physical Attackers with a side effect of Noivern. So I thought of a good check to all the physicaal sweepers out there:

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off / Foul Play
- Protect

Blocks all Fighting, Normal, and Psychic types (especially Medicham-Mega above) and burns anything else. Has some trouble against Fairy types and special attackers, though.
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 92-109 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 43.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Pure Power burned Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 46-54 (15.1 - 17.8%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Kommo-o Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 118-141 (38.9 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed (Dragon) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 81-96 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
In my opinion, I think Tapu Bulu should be shiny so it actually gets some Fairy STAB move. Wood Hammer is okay since you do get some recovery out of Grassy Terrain (definitely not enough, but lets you get at least another hit in before killing yourself)

Basically, this metagame should be called Physical Attackers with a side effect of Noivern. So I thought of a good check to all the physicaal sweepers out there:

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off / Foul Play
- Protect

Blocks all Fighting, Normal, and Psychic types (especially Medicham-Mega above) and burns anything else. Has some trouble against Fairy types and special attackers, though.
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 92-109 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 43.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Pure Power burned Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 46-54 (15.1 - 17.8%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Kommo-o Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 118-141 (38.9 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed (Dragon) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 81-96 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Unfortunately Tapu Bulu can't be shiny, as it is event-locked. Otherwise I would absolutely agree.

Edit: Can we get rid the normal shiny locks? There artificially restrict what we can use in a way that has nothing at all to do with the concept of the meta. The shinyness isn't important, it's a means to allow secondary stabs, and we lose minimal competitive stuff (some set knowledge like Genesect coming from a certain event to use a banned example) and gain a lot more.

Last edited:

Pikachuun

Can we get rid the normal shiny locks? There artificially restrict what we can use in a way that has nothing at all to do with the concept of the meta. The shinyness isn't important, it's a means to allow secondary stabs, and we lose minimal competitive stuff (some set knowledge like Genesect coming from a certain event to use a banned example) and gain a lot more.
Well seeing how much support this has I just decided to knock it out. Shiny-locking should be removed now!

i tested this with a celesteela

B-but isn't this like the unreleased mega stone argument for MnM?
Also, Shininess is purely asthetic. All it does is simply change the color palette of the Sprite. If the creator of PS wanted to allow anybody to use shiny Pokémon, even if they were unreleased, it would make no difference in battles whatsoever. Those Mega Stones on the other hand are items not released to the public, and them being the only way to access something, with no alternatives.

lost heros

Meme Master
Also, Shininess is purely asthetic. All it does is simply change the color palette of the Sprite. If the creator of PS wanted to allow anybody to use shiny Pokémon, even if they were unreleased, it would make no difference in battles whatsoever. Those Mega Stones on the other hand are items not released to the public, and them being the only way to access something, with no alternatives.
Minor point, but shininess isn't a purely aesthetic feature. Some legendaries are required to be shiny/not shiny because that is how they are obtainable in-game. For example Genesect can only have Extreme Speed when Shiny, which is actually pretty important in this meta.

Minor point, but shininess isn't a purely aesthetic feature. Some legendaries are required to be shiny/not shiny because that is how they are obtainable in-game. For example Genesect can only have Extreme Speed when Shiny, which is actually pretty important in this meta.
Does that mean Entei can't have Fire Espeed because it has to be shiny?

I meant as just the appearance, nothing about events (which I am aware of). I brought this subject up because someone mentioned something about removing the shiny lock.
Does that mean Entei can't have Fire Espeed because it has to be shiny?
No, Entei is a pure Fire Type. This means no mater it's shiny status, it gets a Fire-Ate.

Idk if this is an issue with the meta or with the Dragon Heaven server, but it's saying Tapu Koko is an event only Pokemon and "must not be shiny to be from its event #1." Tapu Koko is NOT event only, and is shiny locked in the game. It's only event distribution so far was for a shiny Tapu Koko, so it's saying the opposite of what's actually legal and not letting you use shiny Tapu Koko, even though it has been released

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Nice to see that meta again.
Necrozma gets a powerful Wring Out.
Also, since people already talked about Return/Frustration on Araquanid, i'll talk about Spit Up. Looks bad ? Well, not exactly. I don't know if it's a glitch, but look at this.

What about imposter? Does it also copy the second ability?
Imposter copies the opponent's type, so yeah, it does.
If you change your type, you change the type of your -ate ability.

Also, the shinyness of the Ditto is the one used.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)