Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by The Immortal, original ideas by Eevee General, Swaggy-G, and others
Metagame Workshop

You asked, we delivered! This is a thread for bouncing your OM ideas off the community at large before posting them in the OM Submissions subforum. Anyone is welcome to offer feedback on ideas posted here, though recommendations from the mods (The Immortal, E4 Flint, and Ransei) and other submission readers (drampa's grandpa, ScarfWynaut, G-Luke, Ludicrousity, charizard8888, Spandan, and yours truly, Uselesscrab) should be given priority. Our liking of posts can also be seen as expressing interest in a submission.

In order to make a preliminary outline of your submission idea, all you need to do is fill out this brief form (subject to change):

Metagame premise:
Potential bans and threats:
Questions for the community:

Some more information on each:
  • Metagame premise. Keep this succinct. In general, the metagames with the most simple changes are the ones that succeed. If you can't describe this in a single sentence (even a long one), you should go back to the drawing board. Also, you should have a fully formed idea.
  • YES: "Pokemon get access to all of their STAB moves."
  • NO: "I want to do something with STAB moves."
  • Potential bans and threats. This can be pretty brief and should also potentially include sample sets if you have them.
  • YES (this would be part of an answer): "Dragonite will be very powerful and suspect-worthy, given that it can set up using Multiscale and then mega evolve to gain a different ability like Aerilate (insert Dragonite set)."
  • NO: "I think Pokemon that can set up easily would be difficult to beat."
  • Questions for the community. Be specific. Ask the most important questions.
  • YES: "How should I address Pokemon that change form in the middle of a battle?"
  • YES: "Does the name 'Pokemoncansketchonemoveoutsideoftheirnormalmovepool-mons' express the metagame's premise clearly enough? Is it too specific?"
  • NO: "What Pokemon would be good?"
  • NO: "How should I capitalize 'Stabmons'?"
Commonly rejected OM ideas can be found here, and it is highly recommended that you both scan that post and take a quick glance through the actual index to ensure that you're not rehashing an existing idea.

Happy posting! If you have any questions, or suggestions for additions to the form, let me or a moderator know.

Last edited by a moderator:

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Guess I'll have a go at this.

Metagame Premise: The first two moveslots determine the typing of the Pokemon.
Potential bans and threats: OU Clauses apply. Potential suspects/quick-bans could be Beedrillite, Battle Bond, Shedinja, and Arena Trap.
Questions for the community: Should a Pokemon's typing be displayed on switch-in? Would 'Slotmons' express the concept of metagame enough?

E: Already being done.

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz

Potential bans and threats: OU Clauses apply. Potential suspects/quick-bans could be Beedrillite, Battle Bond, Shedinja, and Arena Trap.
Questions for the community: Should a Pokemon's typing be displayed on switch-in? Would 'Slotmons' express the concept of metagame enough?
This is actually just like Camomons from last gen (whose creator hasn't been on for over a year). That being said, Camomons received a good amount of positive feedback, and I think it would do well in this gen, with both the Ultra Beasts and the guardians. It did not display typing on switch-in, lending to the "Camo" part, but it did create a bit of blind guessing, so I would actually welcome the typing being displayed.

This is actually just like Camomons from last gen (whose creator hasn't been on for over a year). That being said, Camomons received a good amount of positive feedback, and I think it would do well in this gen, with both the Ultra Beasts and the guardians. It did not display typing on switch-in, lending to the "Camo" part, but it did create a bit of blind guessing, so I would actually welcome the typing being displayed.
This metagame is going to be hosted by ScarfWynaut, and, barring any complications, will come out very soon. Thanks for the enthusiasm, though!

I've had a number of ideas over time but, lemme just toss this one out.

Totem Showdown
  • Metagame premise: You know Totem Pokemon Battles? Basically, it's that. Doubles format with Slot 1 is a Totem Pokemon that always leads, cannot ever switch out, and has boosted stats across the board. The rest of the team reinforce the Totem Pokemon one at a time as they get knocked out, so long as the Totem is not KOed. First side to KO the Totem and any helpers on the field at the time wins.
  • Potential bans and threats. Obviously, ban Perish Song and probably Curse. Hard to say beyond that.
  • Questions for the community. How buffed should Totem Pokemon be? +1 across the board? Higher defenses than offenses, like +2 both defenses +1 both offenses? Should they get extra HP or other base stat increases? Some resistance or immunity to certain statuses, ala Wonder Skin?
  • Frequency of reinforcements? Should they lead with one and it function like normal battles? Reinforcements can only come in at the end of, say, even numbered turns to better simulate real Totem battles?
  • Allow Ubers as the totem?

I've had a number of ideas over time but, lemme just toss this one out.

Totem Showdown
  • Metagame premise: You know Totem Pokemon Battles? Basically, it's that. Doubles format with Slot 1 is a Totem Pokemon that always leads, cannot ever switch out, and has boosted stats across the board. The rest of the team reinforce the Totem Pokemon one at a time as they get knocked out, so long as the Totem is not KOed. First side to KO the Totem and any helpers on the field at the time wins.
  • Potential bans and threats. Obviously, ban Perish Song and probably Curse. Hard to say beyond that.
  • Questions for the community. How buffed should Totem Pokemon be? +1 across the board? Higher defenses than offenses, like +2 both defenses +1 both offenses? Should they get extra HP or other base stat increases? Some resistance or immunity to certain statuses, ala Wonder Skin?
  • Frequency of reinforcements? Should they lead with one and it function like normal battles? Reinforcements can only come in at the end of, say, even numbered turns to better simulate real Totem battles?
  • Allow Ubers as the totem?
I like the premise. I think keeping the rules simple would be useful for getting people into the meta and making it easy to play: +1 to all stats, no other buffs; reinforcements should function like regular Pokemon (i.e. free switching). If status ends up being overcentralizing or 'cheap', just ban Toxic, don't grant an immunity.

I don't see uber totems working out. I imagine they would dominate the field too much for reinforcements to truly matter -- totem matchups would reliably decide games.

Power Trip and Stored Power are something to be concerned about, but as a singles player I don't feel confident saying much more.

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Krookodile Power Trip (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 181-213 (49.8 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Crystal power (temporary name)

• Metagame premise: all the 6 pokemon can use the Z crystals (obviously only once for pokemon). Specific crystals can be used if the pokemon has the move required (example: Tapu Lele can use Mewnium Z)
  • Potential bans and threats: Alolaraichium Z and Mewnium Z need to be analyzed, to understand if they are overpower. Eevium Z is banned
  • Question for the community: is OU enough or Ubers pokemon are necessary to bear this power?

Morphinmons (name pending)
  • Metagame premise: Every single fully evolved pokemon gets its own Mega Evolution. The mega will have the extra 100 stats to its two strongest stats. This would also apply to already existing Megas. To prevent any uneven distribution of stats in pokemon with equal stats across the board, there will be no gain in HP. In cases of Mew,and other "even" mons(pokemon with the same stats across the board), 25 too each stat. When stats are tied,like pheramosa,who has highest speed but is tied in Attack and Special Attack, it will get 50 to speed and 25 to atk and spatk. Monotype pokemon will get a new type based off of color(eg:Blissey becomes normal/fairy, serperior becomes grass/dragon).
This should be OU based, as Ubers would be too powerful. All pokemon on the party have the capability to mega evolve but only if they have Mega in front of their nickname. Items are rendered unusable if a Pokemon's nickname has Mega in it.
  • Potential bans and threats: A definite ban on shuckle. 255 def and spdef and 70 HP is too much. Blissey might need to be suspected as it obtains 180+ spdef after mega evolving. I say may because it still has crap defense. A suspect may be needed for Pheromosa, as it obtains 150+ offenses and 201 speed, which in an OU based meta, is unrivaled. Right now, that's all I see.
  • Questions for the community: What should be done about abilities? Should abilities stay the same, or change?
That sounds more like a pet mod and I think it already exists.

iLlama

Crystal power (temporary name)

• Metagame premise: all the 6 pokemon can use the Z crystals (obviously only once for pokemon). Specific crystals can be used if the pokemon has the move required (example: Tapu Lele can use Mewnium Z)
  • Potential bans and threats: Alolaraichium Z and Mewnium Z need to be analyzed, to understand if they are overpower. Eevium Z is banned
  • Question for the community: is OU enough or Ubers pokemon are necessary to bear this power?
I personally don't see the appeal in being able to use multiple Z crystals over regular items, especially if they remain single use. Maybe this could be a metagame where Pokemon can automatically have a Z move without requiring an item based on what move is in their first moveslot or something like that? That would be pretty cool and would keep your concept of crystal powers without making people run the actual Z Crystals themselves. The name could be like "Z Powered Up" or "Z Power" or something like that.

Guess I'll give it a shot.

Consolation Prize

Metagame premise: Pokemon have their lowest stat doubled. This does not take into account items, setup moves or abilities, it doubles the lowest raw stat. If a pokemon has more than one lowest stat (Say, like a no EV neutral nature mew for example) no boost will be received. HP does not count as a "Lowest Stat".

OU banlist and clauses

Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Manaphy/Shaymin/Victini: Take off 1 IV from a stat and get Fur Coat/Huge power or it's special variants, or even a gigantic speed boost. Pretty strong. All the 6 should start off BANNED.

[Edit] Mega Metagross: By tossing a few EVs in SPDef and SPA, Mega Gross can reach over 500 speed without even investing in it, and still being able to deal massive amounts of damage. Should start off as BANNED

[Edit] Mega Blastoise: Wile still walled by special tanks, Mega Blastoise can invest as much as it wants on speed, and that combined with it's great bulk and above average offensive potential makes it questionable. Potential ban.

[Edit2] Huge/Pure Power: Azumarril, Diggersby, Medicham and other abusers of those abilities can easily set ATK as their lowest stat, however they do sacrifice a lot of bulk/speed in order to fulfill that, so they are just a Potential Threat.

Tapu Bulu: Can have 410 speed with the right EV spread, and it still allows you to fully invest in ATK and invest quite a lot on bulk, all that wile still receiving the Grassy Terrain bonus to it's Grass STAB. Potential ban.

Magearna: Same problem as Bulu, can have insane speed stats wile still holding massive offensive capabilities. Potential ban.

Questions for the community: How should items like Eviolite be handled? Should Abilities and Stat-Enchanting items (Like Thick Club) actually factor in determining a mon's lowest stat?

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
I personally don't see the appeal in being able to use multiple Z crystals over regular items, especially if they remain single use. Maybe this could be a metagame where Pokemon can automatically have a Z move without requiring an item based on what move is in their first moveslot or something like that? That would be pretty cool and would keep your concept of crystal powers without making people run the actual Z Crystals themselves. The name could be like "Z Powered Up" or "Z Power" or something like that.
I don't know... the idea of a crystal free z moves doesn't seem bad, but it may too much for an OU tier based, unless we allow Ubers.
Also you need to consider that there are only a few types of these moves, so there will not be so much variety

I don't know... the idea of a crystal free z moves doesn't seem bad, but it may too much for an OU tier based, unless we allow Ubers.
Also you need to consider that there are only a few types of these moves, so there will not be so much variety
I don't personally think that it would be too much for OU. You would still be allowed to use only one Z-Move per match, while having the chance to have at your disposal more wincons, which could be used for different matches and situations. Say, for example, that in one match it would be more advantageous for you to use Supersonic Strike Salamence, while in another battle Continental Crush Landorus-T or Z-Conversion Porygon-Z would be preferable.

Besides, if some Pokémon are considered too unbearable for the metagame, they could still be banned. I'd say to actually test the metagame before judging if it is too much for OU, and then adapt accordingly. All in all, I would approve the idea suggested by iLlama.

Though, there would be one important matter about this eventual proposal: would Mega Pokémon be allowed to fire off Z-Moves or would they be barren from using the "Z-Power"? Also, would exclusive Z-Moves, like Guardian of Alola, take precedence over the non-exclusive ones?

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
I don't personally think that it would be too much for OU. You would still be allowed to use only one Z-Move per match, while having the chance to have at your disposal more wincons, which could be used for different matches and situations. Say, for example, that in one match it would be more advantageous for you to use Supersonic Strike Salamence, while in another battle Continental Crush Landorus-T or Z-Conversion Porygon-Z would be preferable.

Besides, if some Pokémon are considered too unbearable for the metagame, they could still be banned. I'd say to actually test the metagame before judging if it is too much for OU, and then adapt accordingly. All in all, I would approve the idea suggested by iLlama.

Though, there would be one important matter about this eventual proposal: would Mega Pokémon be allowed to fire off Z-Moves or would they be barren from using the "Z-Power"? Also, would exclusive Z-Moves, like Guardian of Alola, take precedence over the non-exclusive ones?
For the first question, I think that we need to test this, but probably this combo will be banned.
For the second one, I don't understand the question

Metagame premise:
Z-Evolution
Essentially a Z-Crystal allows a pokemon to change it's typing if it has a move that corresponds to the crystal. This does not add an additional third typing, but rather replaces the second typing or adds an extra typing (if mono-type). By evolving in this fashion and depending on the move used, your stats also change. I think it's easier to explain this using an example:
Stoutland has the item Ghostium-Z and the move Shadow ball. Stoutland acitvates the Z-Crystal for the move Shadow ball - by doing so it gains a ghost typing and it's current highest stat switches with its special attack. The Z-Move still goes off at full power. So assuming its attack stat is the highest, it's attack would switch with its special attack - essentially making Stoutland a special attacking Normal / Ghost type. Any ability it had before it's stats switched and the additional typing was added stays, and Stoutland is now a special attacking Ghost/Normal type for the rest of the match.

Another example to demonstrate how it works with dual typings:
Pyroar has the item Darkinium-Z and the move Crunch. Pyroar activates the z-crystal for the move Crunch - removing his Fire typing for a Dark typing and switching his highest stat (special attack) with his attack stat. The normal Z-move still goes off at full power and afterwards Pyroar will be a Normal/Dark type with 109 attack and the normal ability it had (moxie for instance). He will stay this way for the rest of the match.

Regarding status moves, the status move will always change your highest stat with your lowest defense stat and add an extra typing. So if Garchomp uses Z-swords dance it's attack will switch with it's special defense and it will become a normal dragon type.

Any stat changes exclude HP. So for instance blissey wouldn't be able to exchange it's HP stat during a z evolution.

The amount of z-moves that can be used per game will probably have to be upped from one. But I'm unsure if allowing all 6 pokemon to use full powered z moves would be balanced.

I think that makes sense?

I'll think of this later.

What do you think of this metagame idea?
What do you think would be broken?
Do you have any confusion about the rules?

Last edited:
Metagame premise: When there is no terrain, Normal-type moves are 1.5* power
Potential bans and threats: Scrappy
What do you think would be broken?
Do you have any confusion about the rules?

For the second one, I don't understand the question
Say that you have an Alola Raichu with Thunderbolt in its first slot. Normally, it could be able to use either Gigavolt Havoc (BP 175) with an Electrium Z or Stoked Sparksurfer with an Aloraichum Z (BP 175 + paralysis).

So, which move would it be able to fire off, in that case?

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Say that you have an Alola Raichu with Thunderbolt in its first slot. Normally, it could be able to use either Gigavolt Havoc (BP 175) with an Electrium Z or Stoked Sparksurfer with an Aloraichum Z (BP 175 + paralysis).

So, which move would it be able to fire off, in that case?
I understand only now, beacuse i didn't read well the iLlama phrase.
In normal conditions, both of them.
If I use, for example, 4 electric moves, I should have 5 z-moves options.
If this is not possible, so the most powerful between them will be chosen.

According to this, we can extend this rule to the mega evolution.
It could be funny to see a Mega Audino with Leftovers.
Obviously if you mega evolve, you can't use a z-move and viceversa

Tag Teams
Metagame premise
: Pokemon are able to switch form into a different Pokemon during battle.
The base Pokemon would have to run Schooling, Stance Change, Zen Mode, Shields Down, Battle Bond or Forecast as their ability in order to change forms. They would turn into the Pokemon that has the name as their nickname when they meet the abilities conditions. The Pokemon uses the movepool of the base Pokemon.
Bans: Ubers, Regigigas, Slaking, Shields Down with bases with bst over 440 and forms over 500.
Potential bans: Evoilite or maybe just with shields down, Belly Drum.
Potential threats:
Pheromosa as a form change.
Pheromosa (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Brick Break
- Fire Punch

Belly Drum Priority.
Bewear (Linoone) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Zen Mode
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Pursuit
- Play Rough

Z-Weather
Thundurus-Therian (Drampa) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Forecast
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Roost

Questions for the community: Should Pokemon get the first ability of the Pokemon they transform into making them unable to change back? Should Stance Change work with moves other than King shield?

Akumeoy Those are some good points. Ideally I'd like to simulate proper Totem battles as closely as possible and ensure they're not over in 2 turns from something like a Z-move + Specs lead duo, but simplicity may be the way to go.

I'm actually not worried about Toxic since teammates can easily help with that, though stuff like Curse and Perish Song put a short timer on the battle since the main counterplay, switching out, isn't an option for the totem.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
I don't know if it already exists, but hey, i have an idea.

Ability sharing
Metagame premise: Ability sharing is an OU-based meta where you basically share your ability with your opponent, with a reset every switch. (your ability isn't replaced by the ability of the opponent, but you still can profit of it)

If you need a deeper explanation, let's just say : You have a Scolipede with Speed Boost and your opponent a Throh with Guts.
Turn 1 - At the end of the turn, both Pokemon's speeds are boosted by Speed Boost. The opponent's Flame Orb triggers.
Turn 2 - Scolipede use Return, which isn't boosted by Guts since unlike your Throh, Scolipede doesn't have a Flame Orb.
Turn 3 - The opponent switch for a Drifblim. At the end of the turn, Drifblim's speed is also boosted by Speed Boost.
Also, note that, even if abilities are "shared", they don't share the same rhythm, for example : if you have a Regigigas that isn't weakened by Slow Start anymore, and your opponent switches, your opponent's new mon will be weakened by Slow Start for 5 turns.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Explanation: As always, Serperior is great. And now, it can reverse setups.

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Copycat
- Encore

Explanation: Sharing Prankster make it now immune to status moves that targets it.

Questions for the community: Is the name bad ?
Do you think abilities' rhythm should be also shared ?

Last edited:

iLlama

Metagame premise: If you have played or know the old om "Ability Unity," this concept utilizes part of it. This new metagame lets any Pokemon that shares the same single typing or dual typing of another Pokemon take moves from the other's movepool and one of its abilities as well.
For example:

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hypnosis

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

• OU Clauses.
  • Bans: Smeargle, Regigigas, Slaking, Pure Power, Impostor, Wonder Guard, Passing Extreme Speed, Passing Belly Drum
  • Possible Bans/Suspects: Huge Power, Adaptability, Speed Boost, Water Bubble, Shell Smash, Arena Trap
Questions for the community: Is "Type Unity" a sufficient name for this meta? Would sleep inducing moves be good for potential suspects? Should Pokemon be able to pass abilities and moves with Uber Pokemon that share the same typing?

Last edited:
I don't know if it already exists, but hey, i have an idea.

Ability sharing
Metagame premise: Ability sharing is an OU-based meta where you basically share your ability with your opponent, with a reset every switch. (your ability isn't replaced by the ability of the opponent, but you still can profit of it)

If you need a deeper explanation, let's just say : You have a Scolipede with Speed Boost and your opponent a Throh with Guts.
Turn 1 - At the end of the turn, both Pokemon's speeds are boosted by Speed Boost. The opponent's Flame Orb triggers.
Turn 2 - Scolipede use Return, which isn't boosted by Guts since unlike your Throh, Scolipede doesn't have a Flame Orb.
Turn 3 - The opponent switch for a Drifblim. At the end of the turn, Drifblim's speed is also boosted by Speed Boost.
Also, note that, even if abilities are "shared", they don't share the same rhythm, for example : if you have a Regigigas that isn't weakened by Slow Start anymore, and your opponent switches, your opponent's new mon will be weakened by Slow Start for 5 turns.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Explanation: As always, Serperior is great. And now, it can reverse setups.

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Copycat
- Encore

Explanation: Sharing Prankster make it now immune to status moves that targets it.

Questions for the community: Is the name bad ?
Do you think abilities' rhythm should be also shared ?
What would happen with imposter? Probably the most straightforward thing would be it to just transform into the enemy as per usual.
I like this idea because it seems to provide a use for certain "negative" abilities, such as golisopod + priority can force switches on any Pokemon it can get to half health.
Would gastro acid etc remove the effects of both abilities on the target, or maybe remove the effects of the target's base ability from both sides?
I think the name is bad but I can't think of anything better so there we are

What would happen with imposter? Probably the most straightforward thing would be it to just transform into the enemy as per usual.
I like this idea because it seems to provide a use for certain "negative" abilities, such as golisopod + priority can force switches on any Pokemon it can get to half health.
Would gastro acid etc remove the effects of both abilities on the target, or maybe remove the effects of the target's base ability from both sides?
I think the name is bad but I can't think of anything better so there we are
Doesn't seem like you have dual ability as much as some sort of inheritance for mons with a common type.

FFAs/Battle Royales
Metagame Premise:
Pretty much Battle Royales from the games.
Potential Bans and Threats: OU Banlist + Magearna, hazards
Questions for the community: Should it be last one standing? Or should it be K.O based like the actual Battle Royales? Which of the two names listed should be the official name for this OM? Should their be different versions based on tiers, like UU FFAs for example?

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
FFAs/Battle Royales
Metagame Premise:
Pretty much Battle Royales from the games.
Potential Bans and Threats: OU Banlist + Magearna, hazards
Questions for the community: Should it be last one standing? Or should it be K.O based like the actual Battle Royales? Which of the two names listed should be the official name for this OM? Should their be different versions based on tiers, like UU FFAs for example?
I think it's impossible to link 3/4 players simultaneously on Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)