Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Toxic into Softboiled spam/Seismic Toss if it tries to Subtitute. It can't kill you in time, even with its own Toxic.

252+ Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 357-420 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 198-234 (28.1 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 0 HP Dugtrio: 100-100 (47.3 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Hardly trapped unless you're near death already.
Z move dugtrio allways runs screech to be able to trap chansey
In a 1v1, duggy screeches turn 1, tectonic rage turn 2 does arround 95% and eq kills turn 3 even if they soft boiled
Also, you used adamant duggy un the calcs lol

Last edited:
it screeches into z move see?
252 Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. -2 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 655-772 (93.1 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
and if it doesnt kill
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. -2 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 364-430 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
it does after

Even without the Z-stone, a second screech puts Chansey into guaranteed OHKO range of Earthquake and Chansey can't 2HKO Dugtrio. Chansey can't do anything against a healthy Dugtrio unless Dugtrio switches in on a bad prediction.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Out of curiosity, what are peoples' thoughts on Torn-T atm? iirc, it saw decent usage + success in wcop and it can run Taunt + LO to be annoying to fatter teams or AV to function as a nice pivot, but I haven't been keeping up enough as of lately to know its current impact on the meta

underrated mon. interestingly all of the old ORAS staples (Keldeo, Latios, Rotom-W, etc.) were abandoned in favor of new alternatives and new trends. yet people have realized that these pokemon still have a place in the meta, and torn-t is no different. and like the other mons its best set has also changed; i would consider LO torn superior to AV now by quite a large margin. its biggest problem is that it just doesn't have enough raw power or bulk and is overly reliant on taunt to annoy defensive archetypes (though it is very effective). it isn't a particularly good user of z moves either so it has very few ways to increase its damage output. lastly its speed tier is much shakier now with things like Koko and Greninja running around as well as the omnipresence of 101+ choice scarf users

also the weakness to stealth rock and lack or recovery lets it get worn down throughout the game sure regen mitigates some of this but status also wears it down as well. regardless yes i agree its pretty underrated in the current metagame. on thing i like is that its a pretty good pivot and attacker on rain teams but tapu koko is more favored in this area.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Meh, I don't know about Torn-T. Steels are everywhere and they tend to be able to tank Heat Wave (imo way better than focus blast), Electric types are too, and pure flying at this point really doesn't do much for one defensively. The speed tier is also not as good anymore and it';s just not bulky enough to make up for it. Sure, you can use Assault Vest, but you need Taunt to do much vs stall and it's also just not very powerful anymore. 110 + Lo isn't really that great when we have things like Koko, Gren and Magearna running around with more power and more speed (shift gear and OTR make up for Magearna's speed). Oh, and hurricane is a terrible stab to rely on with 70% accuracy and flying resists being just about everywhere. It does have extensive coverage but gl breaking past bulkier foes with the lcking power. This means that offensively, Torn T can be lackluster at times. Also, Regenerator is bad as your only means of recovery when you're SR weak because it forces you to switch out to be able to do much more. I don't really like torn T in this current metagame, because it has issues with power, typing and bulk.

King Sceptile

Banned deucer.
Choice Specs Torn-T is a really good breaker on rain imo due to how pressured AV Magearna ends up getting. I tend to run knock off on it to make the stall matchup less annoying. I don't like Torn-T very much outside of rain due to how inconsistent Hurricane is. The recent rise of Tapu Koko with the discovery of the Z Wild Charge set is definitely not doing it any favors tho :c

specs torn is inferior to LO in pretty much every instance I can think of. You sacrifice the ability to abuse Taunt / U-turn / Regenerator / Knock Off as well as you could without a choice item...for little to no reward. tapu koko did not exactly rise "recently" either, and greninja would be the larger issue regardless

Muscle K

Banned deucer.
Specs on Tornadus is a massive waste. As we all know, locking yourself into one move this meta is terrible, but the coverage that Tornadus possesses is just too good to give up. Life Orb is the superior option, as you can not only switch moves, but mitigate the Life Orb recoil.

Regarding the ORAS Staples, i'm not surprised that most of them have gone down in usage - especially in a meta where Talonflame has been nerfed into oblivion, Toxapex has the better bulk, an equally good, if not better defensive typing and access to reliable recovery, Fairies and steels have dominated the meta and Greninja, as well as Mawile have returned to the meta to dominate the large majority.

Torn isn't in the best state rn - Koko is everywhere, Greninja outclasses it and Celesteela and Magearna completely shuts it down. So to answer that, Torn isn't as good as it once was, and it is not as influential as the usage stats of WCoP shows it to be.

Mod Edit: Don't talk about potential bans plz

Last edited by a moderator:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magma Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 216 HP / 168 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Not sure if it's been talked about it here yet, but Mega-Camerupt is super fun right now. Obviously it's not the easiest Mega to work/build around, but I've been mildly successful with it and have heard good things from others as well. It's also seen some WCoP play as well. M-Camerupt eviscerates balance defensive mons like Tang, Pex, Steela, etc. even without max special attack (though you can run it that way if you're not concerned with outspeeding Toxapex).

The key is bringing it on doubles or through VoltTurn, especially on opponent switches, against mons it's supposed to check/knock out. The good news? Those mons it beats are common threats in the meta and are often checks/switch-ins for some prominent mons that you might want on your team. For example, I'm running M-Rupt with Koko and Protean Greninja. So if I have my Koko in, I can U-Turn on say a predicted Tang switch. Mega-Camerupt now comes in. Or with Gren, I can go into Camerupt on a predicted Steela/Pex switch-in. Camerupt is also a solid check to most Magearna and Koko sets as well.

So why the moves I have provided? Fire Blast and Earth Power absolutely rip through opponents with their Sheer Force boost and M-Rupt's insane 145 special attack stat, even without being maxed out. Standard defensive M-Venu is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast even without Rocks for example. Standard defensive Fini is 2HKO'd by EP. Rock Slide is on my set over Ancientpower in order to guaranteed OHKO Volcarona, as the latter doesn't OHKO after a Quiver Dance boost. The name of the game though is Sub. Unless you're confident of the opponent's switch, I recommend always subbing with Camerupt. This way you can scout, and fire off a big hit on their Camerupt switch-in of choice. Some teams might not even have one, they may just hope they read the attack right and force you out with speed. This means that later on, their check might not even be able to check anymore.

There are also a plethora of options and variations you can make depending on your team make-up. You could put Rocks on over Sub to make Camerupt a hazard-setter in addition to a wallbreaker. Maybe you have Bulu or Koko and go with Nature Power, which provides Camerupt with Sheer Force boosted Energy Ball or Thunderbolt respectively. Ancientpower helps more against Pelipper, Gyarados, and Mence if those are causing you problems. Hidden Power Ice rips through Zygarde, Garchomp, and Lando-T if those are unfavorable for your team (though Fire Blast already min rolls at 99% on offensive Lando-T's).

Obviously it is rippy-dippy to Dugtrio unless you've got a Sub still up and Sash is either gone or not there to begin with.

tl;dr- M-Camerupt is a niche Mega pick that nevertheless synergizes extremely well with top Meta mons, like Koko and Gren, being able to beat threats such as Tang, Steela, Pex, M-Venu, Koko, and Magearna; it is also extremely versatile in its options/movepool.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Not sure if it's been talked about it here yet, but Mega-Camerupt is super fun right now. Obviously it's not the easiest Mega to work/build around, but I've been mildly successful with it and have heard good things from others as well. It's also seen some WCoP play as well. M-Camerupt eviscerates balance defensive mons like Tang, Pex, Steela, etc. even without max special attack (though you can run it that way if you're not concerned with outspeeding Toxapex).

The key is bringing it on doubles or through VoltTurn, especially on opponent switches, against mons it's supposed to check/knock out. The good news? Those mons it beats are common threats in the meta and are often checks/switch-ins for some prominent mons that you might want on your team. For example, I'm running M-Rupt with Koko and Protean Greninja. So if I have my Koko in, I can U-Turn on say a predicted Tang switch. Mega-Camerupt now comes in. Or with Gren, I can go into Camerupt on a predicted Steela/Pex switch-in. Camerupt is also a solid check to most Magearna and Koko sets as well.

So why the moves I have provided? Fire Blast and Earth Power absolutely rip through opponents with their Sheer Force boost and M-Rupt's insane 145 special attack stat, even without being maxed out. Standard defensive M-Venu is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast even without Rocks for example. Standard defensive Fini is 2HKO'd by EP. Rock Slide is on my set over Ancientpower in order to guaranteed OHKO Volcarona, as the latter doesn't OHKO after a Quiver Dance boost. The name of the game though is Sub. Unless you're confident of the opponent's switch, I recommend always subbing with Camerupt. This way you can scout, and fire off a big hit on their Camerupt switch-in of choice. Some teams might not even have one, they may just hope they read the attack right and force you out with speed. This means that later on, their check might not even be able to check anymore.

There are also a plethora of options and variations you can make depending on your team make-up. You could put Rocks on over Sub to make Camerupt a hazard-setter in addition to a wallbreaker. Maybe you have Bulu or Koko and go with Nature Power, which provides Camerupt with Sheer Force boosted Energy Ball or Thunderbolt respectively. Ancientpower helps more against Pelipper, Gyarados, and Mence if those are causing you problems. Hidden Power Ice rips through Zygarde, Garchomp, and Lando-T if those are unfavorable for your team (though Fire Blast already min rolls at 99% on offensive Lando-T's).

Obviously it is rippy-dippy to Dugtrio unless you've got a Sub still up and Sash is either gone or not there to begin with.

tl;dr- M-Camerupt is a niche Mega pick that nevertheless synergizes extremely well with top Meta mons, like Koko and Gren, being able to beat threats such as Tang, Steela, Pex, M-Venu, Koko, and Magearna; it is also extremely versatile in its options/movepool.
Really good post. The little I've been playing SM OU I've really been enjoying Mega Camerupt, so it's good to see others share the same opinions.

I do have one minor suggestion - I would use Rock Slide over Ancientpower. This might seem strange, but Sheer Force helps make up for the -Attack nature. Rock Slide still catches Zard Y and Volcarona. You'll also do more damage to Mantine in most cases as well.

Really good post. The little I've been playing SM OU I've really been enjoying Mega Camerupt, so it's good to see others share the same opinions.

I do have one minor suggestion - I would use Rock Slide over Ancientpower. This might seem strange, but Sheer Force helps make up for the -Attack nature. Rock Slide still catches Zard Y and Volcarona. You'll also do more damage to Mantine in most cases as well.
You're right, that does seem strange. Is the only reason to run rock slide to hit mantine better? Ancient power should benefit from sheer force as well, and is ev invested, and has better accuracy. Only practical reason I see to run it is to make it harder to PP stall the camel, unless I'm missing something.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You're right, that does seem strange. Is the only reason to run rock slide to hit mantine better? Ancient power should benefit from sheer force as well, and is ev invested, and has better accuracy. Only practical reason I see to run it is to make it harder to PP stall the camel, unless I'm missing something.
You also hit Volcarona much harder as well. For example - non-Charti Volcarona is always OHKOed by Rock Slide while Volcarona can survive an Ancientpower at +1.

I do use Rock Slide? And I stated the reasoning, it OHKO's Volcarona after 1 QD, while Ancientpower does not due to the Sp.Def boost. Ancientpower over Rock Slide makes sense in some matchups, probably even a majority, but Slide keeps a key matchup in the meta right now, that of Volcarona, in Camerupt's favor. It comes down to personal preference and teambuilding really. I use Slide because I don't run a Scarfer or other Volcarona check on my team. Dumb of me? Probably but I only semi-seriously play.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I do use Rock Slide? And I stated the reasoning, it OHKO's Volcarona after 1 QD, while Ancientpower does not due to the Sp.Def boost. Ancientpower over Rock Slide makes sense in some matchups, probably even a majority, but Slide keeps a key matchup in the meta right now, that of Volcarona, in Camerupt's favor. It comes down to personal preference and teambuilding really. I use Slide because I don't run a Scarfer or other Volcarona check on my team. Dumb of me? Probably but I only semi-seriously play.
Ah I kind of dug too far in the rabbit hole. I see now it was Rock Slide in Slot 3 (fsr I thought it was Ancientpower). My apologies on the misread.

King Sceptile

Banned deucer.
Specs on Tornadus is a massive waste. As we all know, locking yourself into one move this meta is terrible, but the coverage that Tornadus possesses is just too good to give up. Life Orb is the superior option, as you can not only switch moves, but mitigate the Life Orb recoil.

Regarding the ORAS Staples, i'm not surprised that most of them have gone down in usage - especially in a meta where Talonflame has been nerfed into oblivion, Toxapex has the better bulk, an equally good, if not better defensive typing and access to reliable recovery, Fairies and steels have dominated the meta and Greninja, as well as Mawile have returned to the meta to dominate the large majority.

Torn isn't in the best state rn - Koko is everywhere, Greninja outclasses it and Celesteela and Magearna completely shuts it down. So to answer that, Torn isn't as good as it once was, and it is not as influential as the usage stats of WCoP shows it to be.

Mod Edit: Don't talk about potential bans plz
Reason #1 to use Specs Torn
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 35.9% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 169-199 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Reason #2: Rocks + LO actually out damages Regenerator, so your longevity is seriously decreased in the long run.

Also, Greninja doesn't outclass it at all bc Torn-T has a completely different attacking type as well as Regen + Knock Off to help its longevity and stall matchup respectively. Regardless Torn-T has definitely seen better days

Reason #1 to use Specs Torn
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 35.9% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 169-199 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Reason #2: Rocks + LO actually out damages Regenerator, so your longevity is seriously decreased in the long run.

Also, Greninja doesn't outclass it at all bc Torn-T has a completely different attacking type as well as Regen + Knock Off to help its longevity and stall matchup respectively. Regardless Torn-T has definitely seen better days
I disagree with your reasoning regarding Specs Torn. For one thing, Pex has taken to running Shed Shell over Black Sludge as of late, so as to avoid getting trapped by duggy, which is especially important when facing ZardY + Dug teams. With this in mind, the calc looks more like this:

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

Running LO over Specs also allows you to viably run Knock Off, which helps against switch-ins like Chansey, which just laughs at Specs Torn. While lower longevity may suck, it's totally worth it for being able to freely switch between moves and take better advantage of your stallbreaking capabilities. Specs on Tornadus-T should not be considered as it just serves to gimp a mon that's already having a hard time with the likes of Koko and Gren running around.

King Sceptile

Banned deucer.
I disagree with your reasoning regarding Specs Torn. For one thing, Pex has taken to running Shed Shell over Black Sludge as of late, so as to avoid getting trapped by duggy, which is especially important when facing ZardY + Dug teams. With this in mind, the calc looks more like this:

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

Running LO over Specs also allows you to viably run Knock Off, which helps against switch-ins like Chansey, which just laughs at Specs Torn. While lower longevity may suck, it's totally worth it for being able to freely switch between moves and take better advantage of your stallbreaking capabilities. Specs on Tornadus-T should not be considered as it just serves to gimp a mon that's already having a hard time with the likes of Koko and Gren running around.
I personally think that banking on my opponent using the least optimal set vs my team, regardless of how standard is, Is a bad policy, but I get the reasoning. However, you can run Knock Off on specs torn just fine if you want to, Specs Pelipper with knock off isn't exactly unheard of. Also you don't really need to click anything but Hurricane or Knock Off ever unless U-Turning into a rain breaker/sweeper is more beneficial anyways. I don't really want to make this into more of a full blown debate as it already is though, it was just a cool set I mentioned in my post. I certainly don't recommend using it outside of rain teams. Also sorry about the awful capitization in this post, mobile sucks :(

I know this is sort of a one liner but I don't have a lot of time so pls forgive me:

Have had great success pairing Mega Camel with physical Koko, Ash-Ninja, and Scarf Keld. It blows through answers to ninja and Keld, so they can quickly and easily clean up. Physical Koko just offers a way to safely get it in, and at the same time offers Cam Electric coverage in nature power.

Really loving camel.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Solid post but I would like to add some thoughtprocess.

Mega Venusaur outspeeds Mega Camerupt and can Synthesis spam for a limited amount of time which will reduce Mega Camerupts Fire Blast PP and you cannot fish for secondary effects like Burn and Spdefdrops because of Sheer Force. That is why I consider Earthpower to be the relevant Calc against Mega Venusaur and Fire Blast only on the switch-in.
Luckily, Earth Power still does enough damage so the Mega Camerupt user will come out on top. It is not just as easy as you have described it to be (2HKO with Fire Blast).

Another thing is Sub. You said this:
"Unless you're confident of the opponent's switch, I recommend always subbing with Camerupt."

There are some situations where Subbing is not the best idea. This is when the opponent could potentially go to Specs Greninja on a predicted Fire Blast/Sub because Water Shuriken is x4 effective and can kill you through the Sub even in non-Ash form.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite

Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

A lot of discussion in the OUVR thread is revolving around this thing, and it's quite good.

I myself have tested it out on the ladder recently and a set I've found a fair bit more interesting is:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock (this hardly matters)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature

-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-Nature Power

I don't particularly care much for this thing's speed tier since it's hard-pressed to creep anything. Giving it this spread ensures it preserves all of its power while still maintaining passable bulk. The big selling points here are obviously Stealth Rock, which it finds numerous opportunities to set up due to its ability to force out so many of OU's top threats, and the seemingly-gimmicky Nature Power.

Now, I know what you're thinking right off the bat: "Nature Power? Why not Rock Slide or Ancient Power?" And the answer is quite simple: with the rise of Tapu Koko by virtue of its Physical Gigavolt Havoc set being another thing to have to play around more teams than ever are running it. In addition, Tapu Koko tends to pair incredibly well with good Fire types since they do a good job pressuring things like Magearna and Tangrowth while Tapu Koko picks off the Water types that threaten those Fire types. Under Electric Terrain, Nature Power turns into Thunderbolt, which effortlessly OHKOs the likes of two pretty common switchins to other Mega Camerupt sets: Mantine and Pelipper. The move also benefits from Sheer Force under any terrain as Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain turns it into Energy Ball, Tapu Fini's Misty Terrain turns it into Moonblast, and Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain turns it into Psychic, allowing the moveslot to function outside of just Electric Terrain.

Outside of those two niche moves its STABs are obligatory in every sense. There aren't many good threats in OU than can survive two hits from Earth Power or Fire Blast except for the ones that are lured in by it and OHKOed by Nature Power in Electric Terrain or the incredibly fat special walls that it couldn't touch either way.

I'd say Mega Camerupt's niche is good enough that it's hardly even a niche. Nothing can really do what it does.

A lot of discussion in the OUVR thread is revolving around this thing, and it's quite good.

I myself have tested it out on the ladder recently and a set I've found a fair bit more interesting is:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock (this hardly matters)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature

-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-Nature Power

I don't particularly care much for this thing's speed tier since it's hard-pressed to creep anything.
For the pre-mega ability, you're better off with Magma Armor as that prevents you from being frozen by Magearna's Ice Beam on the switch.
As for speed creeping, it's actually best to invest in some speed so you're able to outpace Toxapex, which I believe the previous spread hits.

For the pre-mega ability, you're better off with Magma Armor as that prevents you from being frozen by Magearna's Ice Beam on the switch.
As for speed creeping, it's actually best to invest in some speed so you're able to outpace Toxapex, which I believe the previous spread hits.
If you're running Tapu Koko alongside Mega Camerupt Toxapex is terrified either way. I'd argue being able to preserve all its bulk and all its damage output is worth it considering Toxapex has other things to worry about on top of the threat of an Earth Power.

The Magma Armor one is a fair point, although it's still quite minor. I find myself using the mega long before I'm forced to switch in on stray Ice Beams, though.

If you're running Tapu Koko alongside Mega Camerupt Toxapex is terrified either way. I'd argue being able to preserve all its bulk and all its damage output is worth it considering Toxapex has other things to worry about on top of the threat of an Earth Power.

The Magma Armor one is a fair point, although it's still quite minor. I find myself using the mega long before I'm forced to switch in on stray Ice Beams, though.
Are there any notable calc changes that max HP and max SpA brings to the table that the other spread doesn't accomplish? I'd rather have that clutch speed as it enables Camel to 1v1 Pex most of the time if it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)