Metagame analysis writeups, who's interested?

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's come to my attention that quite a few players are interested in doing something similar to Surgo's Metagame Analysis, and McGraw's Metagame Diarys (which I can't find at the moment). I thought it would be a good idea to get a lineup of top players, and have each of them write up a analysis/summary every month or so of the current metagame. These can be collaborated into one topic for comparison and discussion. Through these writeups we can see what the most popular trends are, and also take a look at what is working for different styles of play, as well as watch the metagame evolve and shift. Is this a good idea? And if we decide to do this, who is willing to participate?

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
we already chatted about this on aim but for some reason you're making me post here! so yeah, i'm definitely in, it should be a fun little project.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm definitely in.

Here's a couple things that I think should be in it

- Analysis of the Metagame from Surgo's old post -> current day
- The Role of Garchomp during that period
- Other "little trends" - (basically Specsluke -> SD Luke -> Specsluke, etc), Blissey getting SpDef, Rise and fall of WishBliss.

- Impact of Wobbuffet and Deoxys E.

I'll expand if needed

Despite what i've said before, I don't think i'll have the time to post up a Metagame Analysis for Ubers this month. If anyone else wants to (Maniac), they should feel free to. If you do want to hear my opinions (who ever makes it) feel free to PM me and i'll give you my thoughts.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would be willing to help by contributing sections, editing other people's work and perhaps writing something to piece each thing together. Feel free to contact me.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm definitely up for this.

A section on offensive teams would be right up my alley.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is an interesting project that will create plenty of discussion in Stark, which is one of our goals anyway. So, of course this is a good idea, and because of this you have my support. When they're archived away for future reference, it will be great to have solid threads filed away that will answer inevitable questions that are bound to be asked in the future.

Secondly, I'm obviously one who would like to participate in the insides of this metagame diary/analysis. ipl presented these diaries to me months back, and I've read each and every single one. There's nothing like an inspirational read from the best of the best, giving us an insight on how the R/S/E OU metagame used to be back before even my time. I'm sure with all our experience and efforts this will become a successful project.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All right, this is a great turnout. I think the next step is getting together a list of things we could include. IPL or Taylor, if one of you could link me to McGraw's metagame diarys, I would love to read them.

Tangerine said:
- Analysis of the Metagame from Surgo's old post -> current day
- The Role of Garchomp during that period
- Other "little trends" - (basically Specsluke -> SD Luke -> Specsluke, etc), Blissey getting SpDef, Rise and fall of WishBliss.

- Impact of Wobbuffet and Deoxys E
So we have a year to make up for. I think these ideas are all good, and should be done.

The way I was thinking about going around this is that everyone writes up their own analysis, and then they would all get collaborated into one topic for comparison. However, if anyone has a different idea, please post it.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem is simple - the site where we originally read it from has shut down. I don't believe we had them archived here in our "Greatest Hits" forum, either. So, the only alternative is to contact McGraw himself and ask him to see if he has filed them away somewhere. I'm lead to believe he came on IRC a few weeks ago, so maybe we could start there?

IggyBot

!battle
Yeah, that seems like the place to start. Hopefully someone knows how to contact McGraw, since these Diarys would be a great place to start when figuring out how to go about this project.

I'll ask on IRC later today when I get on.

Taylor

i am alien
That sucks.

It looks like we'll either have to start from scratch (as I don't remember his style and most likely nor does imperfectluck), or familarize ourselves with Surgo's version and see what we can do from the experience we get from reading that. I'm sure we're more than capable!

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
McGraw's diaries were pretty witty... obviously author style differs from person to person though.

Is this going to be a coordinated group effort?

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
IIRC, Iggybot wanted each of us to write up a version so we can compare it to each others.

I'm waiting for a format guideline though

Taylor

i am alien
Yeah, I would want one to work from too. I don't know what happens when we each hand them in, though. Are there going to be bits from each added into one whole diary? I don't particulary agree with this, as that would break the cohesive writing style from each others' diaries.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
If we can't find McGraw's old diaries and don't want to use Surgo's format, I don't see why we couldn't just draw up our own guidelines.

IggyBot

!battle
Yeah, I would want one to work from too. I don't know what happens when we each hand them in, though. Are there going to be bits from each added into one whole diary? I don't particulary agree with this, as that would break the cohesive writing style from each others' diaries.
This is exactly why I want to keep everybody's entry seperate. I have no intention of taking bits and pieces from everyone's works and compiling them into one analysis. What I want is a large compilation of many different diarys from many different players. This gives us a much wider view on what's going on in different minds when it comes to playing and the metagame in general.

What my plan at the moment is, is that we decide how often to do this (this probably won't be decided until after the first or second write up, as I don't think any of us know how long it will take). Tangerine spoke to me about possibly getting a private forum in which to post these. After everyone has posted, I will compile them all into a single topic to post in Stark for comparison and disucussion. Another possibility would be to have a seperate forum here on smogon dedicated strictly to this project (like CaP), where those who are involved with the project can post there analyses, and we could have a disucssion sticky, or something along those lines. Nothing is 100% set in my mind yet, so any ideas or suggestions are certainly welcome.

Taylor

i am alien
Okay.

Well I'm all for writing up a specific section in our diary. It's safe to say that this will be understanably big anyway, so in an ideal world, we should compile all sections written by many individuals and construct it into one, reasonable diary.

This can all be done in a sub-forum of some kind in Stark.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
So, is this project still on?

I'll go work on a draft of something sometime later - although guidelines will be helpful

I'll just try to be as indepth as possible, so I can go for an overkill :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)