Gen 1 Memento /cpg/

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For /cpg/, you have been my love and passion ever since. You will not be forgotten.
Preface
RBY RMTs are rather arbitrary, the changes and trends in the metagame are slow and often do not impact teambuilding in big ways. I built this team in early summer 2015, I felt like the impact of the Body Slam mechanic discoveries finally calmed down and that most players, even in the smaller tournaments, adapted as well as they could.

Chansey just got infinitely better and I for one do not drop it from my team in almost all cases. I figured that many RBYers would be in agreement with me there and the stats from the latest tournaments do show that. Chansey is almost omnipresent, not like it wasn't a defining force before, but now I would say dropping it warrants a really strong argument, which was not the case before. The last year has undergone a couple of trends on what mons to use in the last spot of the framework of lead - big 4 - filler and I have observed that Starmie has fallen in popularity quite a bit because the electrics were pretty popular. That led to seeing Golem and Rhydon again in tournaments and that is where I wanted to tackle the metagame.

The team did work out pretty well, with a record of 3-1 in SPL and giving me around 15 wins at least in several master tourneys I feel like it was my most consistent team of the last season.

Teambuilding process
Teambuilding for me in this tier usually follows a rather strict framework of set slots of mons and moves and several flex slots. Basically when I build a serious team that I want to be able to use in a tournament Exeggutor, Chansey and Tauros are always in the team and in case I ever drop them I have to decide on why to not use them.

It might sound stupid but I wanted to make some new teams for the last RBY season on Pokemonperfect so I watched as many GGfan replays as I found. He might be a living meme but he does have pretty consistent success on that website and I was interested in what he currently played. I could basically just find his to-be-expected stuff of Starmie lead, 4 standard sets and a special attacker in the last slot, I did notice that he brought Slowbro quite often. Alot of the matches I found basically boiled down to the opposing team running out of reliable Slowbro answers early, often before the Slowbro even hit the field. Starmie did lose in popularity and rocks were on a slight rise after all.

At the same time I was playing around with some funky Snorlax sets and I really found to like Lax with Amnesia, Body Slam and Blizzard. I started liking that set mostly because it pummels on paralyzed Chansey so hard, due to the interaction with Amnesia, while still providing a very hard to answer threat for the opponent. Amnesialax did give me a drastically better matchup against Zapdos and Jolteon, did usually get the job done against Chansey, forcing it out, spreading paralysis and it did punish Exeggutor really hard. All things that Slowbro really enjoys. The set is no Mary Sue by any means though, it does force people to interact with it as soon as possible though and often draws in Explosions from Exeggutor or forces them to take severe damage with their faster attackers and leaving them to get revenged by Tauros.

My gameplan usually formed around paralyzing Chansey and applying pressure with that Snorlax as early as possible, usually ending up in opening big holes for Slowbro to abuse. For that I chose Starmie as a lead. Later I came to the conclusion that Starmie isn't needed at all to get the paralysis on Chansey and i opted for a Jynx lead instead, mostly out of preference and due to playing an overall less streamline game. I do use both now, more on that in the Variations section though.

The Team

Jynx
- Lovely Kiss
- Psychic
- Blizzard
- Rest

Standard set. I like this lead because it just stays in on every other lead. Against Alakazam and Starmie I just take a Thunderwave and sleep them. Getting fast mons out of the way is always nice, especially Starmie and Seismic Toss Zam, which both make my Slowbro plan worse. In the Jynx ditto your plan is to win obviously, if you don't you just go out to Chansey and try to avoid Freezes. Amnesialax is a decent answer to it too, but you don't want to be in a position where you have to fall back on defense too much. Gengar is obviously a tossup that can be pretty tough to answer for you but has a 40% chance of doing nothing. If you lose that matchup regaining momentum can be tough and usually ends in you getting quite alot of damage onto your team just to neuter Gengar.

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Psychic
- Explosion

Again, not alot to explain in the set slots here. I opt for Stun Spore to go after my paraspread plan. The backup sleeper is pretty mandatory with Jynx lead, just so you don't get completely blown out by Gengar lead. The usual targets for Explosion with this are Chansey, Starmie and Electrics, keeping this healthy for the endgame to trade with a Tauros can also be a nice gameplan, usually you have to use this to take attacks from opposing Eggys and often Snorlaxes though.

Chansey
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

I opted for this moveset on Chansey just to have my surefire counter to Starmie. It's standard, it's boring and expected but I feel like it's a neccessary evil. Being able to combat Lapras is pretty important too. In the Chansey ditto I usually go for the Twave as soon as possible and don't even try to go for a freeze war, parad Chansey is exactly what we want anyways. Apart from this Chansey does just what Chanseys do, spread para and most importantly not die.

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam

I heard this Pokemon was pretty good in this tier. What is notable is that this is the only source of speed on this team, making the way how you play with your paralysis spread important and what does lead to the major weaknesses of the team. The moveset of this is set in stone, I can't think of any upside any other moveset would give.

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Amnesia
- Blizzard
- Rest

The major source of early pressure in the game. I already talked about it in the previous section, but the idea of this set is to hate on opposing paralyzed Chansey, abuse them to deal hard to answer damage on the opposing team which often leads to the opponent trading with this in a way that benefits my gameplan. This set gives me alot of flexibility, it does have the ability to fall back on defense which is often needed against opposing electrics. Rest + Amnesia is just your surefire way to deal with Reflect Chansey, in case you can't actively break that anymore, and that set has gained in popularity quite alot, but it also handles special attackers in general if you can't rely on your Chansey.

Slowbro
- Thunder Wave
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Rest

Slowbro is just a ridiculous lategame threat since it threatens to take over the game in very few turns. People warn you from not giving Dragonite a free turn to set up agility, this thing is alot more effective when it comes to dealing raw damage after a turn of setup, it cleans up paralyzed teams, breaks walls, forces explosions in the midgame, it just does it all and this team tries to support this Pokemon as well as possible, in case that wasn't clear till now.

Variations
I mostly like changing around the lead on this team. Starmie lead is nice for the mentioned para on Chansey and matching up nicely against opposing Jynx lead, while having a chance against opposing Gengar lead. Alakazam lead gives you the early advantage vs Gengar leads and helps with the para spreading too. With paralysis leads I like using Double-Edge on Exeggutor instead of Stun Spore. I don't like my teams being too linear and being able to pick off a weakened Chansey or Jynx is usually worth more when you got other mons spreading the paralysis. Chansey and Snorlax can run different movesets, Reflect on either is pretty nice to spread paralysis and not die, which can often force suboptimal trades from the opponent too.

Matchups
I believe that in RBY you can win every matchup since you got the ability to play around things pretty nicely. Gengar lead does give this team trouble quite often, falling back early and being forced to go on the defensive is not what you want at all. Double Electric seems pretty unbeatable most of the time, a combination of Starmie + Electric can be pretty tough to deal with too, since both pressure Chansey and force it in constantly, giving your opponent windows to get huge momentum swings going. With only Tauros as a fast mon Gengar is hard to combat in the lategame too and battling against Wrap can become a hassle.

In terms of good matchups, I'd say lead + big 4 + Alakazam or a Rock type has a really hard time against your lategame plan. Chansey just gets abused quite alot from this team so you have the ability to gain momentum against virtually every team.

Import for Showdown (looks weird but works)
Jynx
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lovely Kiss
- Psychic
- Blizzard
- Rest

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Psychic
- Explosion

Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Tauros
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
- Body Slam
- Amnesia
- Blizzard
- Rest

Slowbro
Ability: Oblivious
- Thunder Wave
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Rest

Shoutouts
None, this is an RMT and not Facebook

Last edited:
cool team, a bit zapdos weak tbh so you might try boom > rest on lax, altho rest has its merits ofc. gj on the good spl record

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
solid team, i like the pressure on chansey. one thing you could consider is opting for thunderbolt on tauros, just to be a little safer vs cloyster. you got the slowbro and egg for rocks anyway and eq still does something to them.

HereToHelpRBY

Banned deucer.
solid team, i like the pressure on chansey. one thing you could consider is opting for thunderbolt on tauros, just to be a little safer vs cloyster. you got the slowbro and egg for rocks anyway and eq still does something to them.
Chansey / Jynx handle it pretty well already though, Slowbro can force it to explode, Tauros / Lax can at least land para on it and it doesn't come in for free against Exeggutor. Granted Blizzard is probably droppable here if you wanted another option, but Thunderbolt is pretty poor vs Cloyster anyway.

Also note
Tauros Thunder vs. Cloyster: 153-180 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tauros Thunderbolt vs. Cloyster: 122-144 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
So, firstly, in some ways Thunder is superior, and secondly your best accurate attack is only a 3HKO. Considering his team is somewhat resilient to Cloyster already I think it's unnessecary.

On a similar note you could try Fire Blast if you really wanted to but I don't think it's nessecary with this team.

Really nice RMT and I like how you talk about metagame trends and the like. I disagree with your comments on how powerful Chansey and co are, and drop them myself much more readily, but it's personal preference. I think Chansey is just the best thing to beat newer players with (and of course still very useful versus good players) not only because of its ability to handle all that it can, but also how difficult it can be to get momentum against it at the start of the game. That being said I think it's a very good partner to Slowbro here, since you can paralyze the opposing Chansey early on if you fail to freeze it with Jynx, and then go to pressure with Lax. I prefer standard Lax here because of the ability to evade Counter with Earthquake - or at least it's a lot more difficult to scout the set there. Still, I understand how this Lax works, I just dislike it in the Counter Chansey matchup.

I think my variant might run a Jolteon lead, Raish Chansey, standard Lax, and Psychic Bro. Jolteon to help cover Zapdos a bit better, aggressive para spread, and also provides a little more speed which is nice. Raish Chansey helps with Jynx and still somewhat with Lapras, which is something that doesn't bother the team particularly much, and lets me keep Stun on Egg. With Lax you have to be a little more careful around Chansey in general, just because Paralysis is more punishing, but Lax is still threatening there. Also, I went Psychic over Surf on Slowbro. Tends to work an awful lot better due to the mechanical interactions from the Special drops. Marco and I had a large arguement with M Dragon one time over whether it could be used to break Starmie + Alakazam + Chansey and experience tells me that it's very possible - definitely moreso than with Surf. Thing is, with the new mechanics, Psychic Slowbro can't really be traditionally stalled out, like it could before the mechanics change.

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Double Kick
- Pin Missile

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Stun Spore
- Explosion

Chansey
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Reflect

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard

Snorlax
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Hyper Beam

Slowbro
- Amnesia
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Rest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)