ORAS Doubles OU MegaVoir

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor

I made this team when I felt bored and wanted to make a gardevoir-mega team. It's done very well both on ladder and in matches with other doubles ou players, but I wanted some feedback. The way I teambuild, I usually start with something and just add mons that I think cover it's weaknesses. It turns out that I have both cores of fairy/steel/dragon and grass/fire/water... which might be a bad or good thing, I wouldn't know lol.

Overall, I haven't had trouble against any particular mon or teamstyle, except metagross-mega, a little, but not really.

At a glance, it lacks intimidate/fake out support, but I felt like I didn't need it very much for this team.

When I lose, it's often because I let washtom die one way or another when I need it really badly to counter heatran/lando/tflame and then get really annoyed by said mons.

I just want to put it here that I've built a lot of teams but I generally don't follow the guidelines many people mention, I kinda just keep adding mons that synergize with the other mons and help eliminate threats.

Flinch City (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Trick Room
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Protect

Pretty typical jirachi redirect, except I speed creep a shit load to outspeed heatran to flinch its ass. Also, I run trick room to un-tr the tr and also because it's a great move to use at the same time as an opponent's tailwind. In general, I like running trick room for when they're being fast and you're just being kinda fast, so you can underspeed them. For example, if all the mons they have left are fast or scarfed, it's an easy trick room.

Jirachi has good synergy with gardevoir's weaknesses of steel/poison, but still shares its ghost weak. Also, it's great for walling kang and metagross, and dragons and yeah just things that aren't called heatran in general. In addition, it's a nice switchin on many moves/opposing mons such as amoonguss/breloom, cuz you just follow me and they cry.

Schadenfreude (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Pretty typical hydreigon set here... Gardevoir-mega is a nice switchin on basically all of its weaks. It has 4xresistance to fighting and is immune to draco meteors. Tailwind is nice speed control for basically everything.

Never Hits (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 100 SpA / 24 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Again, a pretty typical washtom spread, except with shitloads of speed creep, yet again. I reach 218 so I can outspeed common tiers in tailwind (ie lando-t, deo-a) and also to speed creep the people speed creeping those tiers.

I considered switching out washtom for keldeo but then I was like "no I'm too talonflame weak if I do that"

Also, burn on a team is just so valuable for crippling physical attackers and just annoying cm cress.

Man In A Dress (Gardevoir) (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Protect

So Megavoir. It doesn't actually hit as hard as sylveon with choice specs, BUT it gets more speed and added flexibility with tect. Also, it kills any amoonguss that switches in on your hypervoice. This thing gets walled pretty hard by steel types, but those same steel types generally get walled pretty hard by jirachi, or they can get flinched to hell.

Encore is nice to screw over aegislash and its king's shield stuff, in addition to subtran, and to trap people into fake out. I generally couldn't find anything very good for that slot: shadow ball, destiny bond, and hyper beam were basically my only other options.

If it hits it neutrally, it 2hkos. If it hits it super effectively, it ohkos.

Flying Fairy Fuck (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Protect

Sashmin helps to deal with fast shit in general and is also a truck when it comes to hitting things. Since my team is basically loaded with special attackers (because screw intimidate and burns) skymin seed flare+ another special move tends to ohko pretty nicely. Also, serene grace flinches can be a bitch.

I run earthpower for heatran, because without it I'd be pretty heatran weak I think. Again, this set is pretty typical. No Tailwind because tailwind skymin is garbage imo, and I need earthpower.

Skymin+Jirachi is also generally pretty damn strong

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

Choice band talonflame. I like it. It hits harder.

Ok I'm done. Plz give feedback

edit: made it less of a wall of text

Last edited:
Your team is kinda weak to bulky steel types, especially heatran- talonflame isn't a very consistent counter to bulky steels, as it can easily lose half of its health switching in on resisted hits, not to mention the massive amount of recoil it takes by hitting stuff. You're also weak to fire-types, especially zard y. I think your team would fare much better with heatran over the talonflame in slot six. Id run standard subtran. Otherwise, the team seems pretty solid.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Your team is kinda weak to bulky steel types, especially heatran- talonflame isn't a very consistent counter to bulky steels, as it can easily lose half of its health switching in on resisted hits, not to mention the massive amount of recoil it takes by hitting stuff. You're also weak to fire-types, especially zard y. I think your team would fare much better with heatran over the talonflame in slot six. Id run standard subtran. Otherwise, the team seems pretty solid.

Yeah I've definitely had trouble against those steels. In general, I've had to just wall them with rachi or let washtom/hydreigon's neutral attacks kill them.

Edit: The thing is I kinda just... don't like heatran. idk... maybe it's just me but I just hate running it. I'll think about it though

I haven't had as much trouble with zard y though.

Now some of my ideas are gonna sound dumb. It's natural.

Mega Gardevoir can change Encore to Ally Switch to provide better support because, if you were using Encore on Trick Room users and Fake Out users you can't really Encore a Trick Room user or Tailwind user, as they're more than likely going before the Encore, and you would only Encore Fake Out on Scrafty Hariyama and Kangaskhan, and Hyper Voice is more effective at making them useless than Encore. Maybe that catches Protect but in this case, since you have Skymin, Gardevoir can take an Ice Beam with it's decent special bulk by using Ally Switch while Skymin sets up Tailwind, or you could let Talonflame take an Iron Head or something. Also helps against opposing Trick Room users.

If you keep Choice Band on Talonflame run Jolly so that you outspeed and OHKO other Talonflame. However, since this is a Tailwind team, it might be better to run Life Orb Talonflame with Tailwind so that you can run Earth Power on Hydreigon over Tailwind, giving you another check to Heatran other than Rotom-Wash.

Also, I've never been a fan of Earth Power Skymin (probably just me) so Tailwind could go in place of Earth Power. However, if you feel that Heatran will still annoy you, you can use Earth Power over Tailwind (or get rid of Protect).

edit: getting rid of Protect on Skymin is ok actually because of support from your partners in the form of Follow Me and Ally Switch, as well as Jolly Band Talonflame to beat other Talonflame, should you make those changes.

second edit bc i rush my posts before really thinking: Quick Guard on the Life Orb Talonflame helps with Talonflame issues or the Jolly Band.

The rest of the team looks cool (that goddamn Trick Room Jirachi gets me almost every time >_<) :]

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Ally switch sounds great for when it's paired with hydreigon actually... I'll try it out.. never really thought of using it before tbh.

I like encore in general as a support move. Admittedly it isn't the strongest, but it's nice to lock people into tect/fake out. In general, it's not as strong as prankster encore, but it's still useful sometimes.

Getting rid of tect on skymin is an interesting option

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
helo checkmater

yea i agree with the above posters that you cant deal with bulky steels like at all. this team struggles to hell and back against aegislash and heatran and i think i got a few changes to fix that + improve the team in general

1. earth power > tw on hydreigon. for mega gard to do anything it needs heatran dead and this relatively uncommon move can pop it in one shot. you don't really miss tw on your team and the offensive coverage is a hell of a lot more important.

2. keldeo > rotom-wash. yea you are more weak to talonflame this way as you said but this helps gets rid of steels + you dont actually have a great way to deal with mega kanga quickly. use taunt keldeo to go along with the next member to stop TR + it pisses off amoonguss.

3. try brave bird/overheat/quick guard/protect or tailwind or steel wing life orb talonflame. overheat is really neat to safely dispatch ferrothorn and deal good damage to aegislash, two things your team doesn't like dealing with. quick guard retains momentum against fake out and helps you against opposing tflame. just go max attack max speed. also im serious about steel wing > protect your team hates switching into diamond storms lmao

4. please dear god don't get rid of ep on skymin. thats like the worst possible thing you can do and your team is fast enough.

5. just use twave jirachi. its so much better i swear and with these changes the slowest thing on your team is rachi itself, so tr is a waste of a moveslot most of the time unless they have tw up (in which case twave still slows them down enough lol).

6. modest on gard. small thing and its up to personal preference but i think you have enough speed control to justify the boost in power.

gl with your team

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
what does overheat do that flare blitz doesn't?
One of the big reasons I even considered using overheat talon is for mega metagross. Overheat can pick up the ohko with the proper investment + life orb even when they try to switch in their lando-t's to intimidate.

Also in the face of pokemon like Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss you are able to avoid contact and taking recoil if they are in range of the Overheat.

Keep in mind that overheat wont ohko Amoonguss or Aegislash from full so you need to get them in range, and in the Amoonguss case you are likely just brave birding it anyway if you wanna pick up an ohko.

Often times when I am using Talon, I rarely use flare blitz when its on my set and would prefer having Overheat in most situations except for maybe hitting Thundurus-I harder

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)