SM OU Mega Mawile Bulky Offense (First RMT)

Introduction

Hey this is my first RMT, I have been into competitive OU pokemon battling since ORAS. I wanted to centre my team around Mega Mawile and Zygarde which are a great offensive core.

Team building Process

I built core around Zygarde and Mega Mawile. Mawile being my wallbreaker and Zygarde physical sweeper.

I then needed a special tank and physical tank who needed access to SR and Defog so I went with Heatran and Mew which are great in the current meta.

Lastly i needed a ground immunity and revenge killer so I chose Zapdos and Choice Scarf greninja

The Team

Mawlificent (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 240 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

I decided to go with the Swords Dance Mega Mawile set because it is already an excellent wallbreaker and if it can set up, it will punch wholes through teams. I decided to go with Thunder Punch over knock off because it allows me to deal with Toxapex, Celesteela and Skarmory which would otherwise wall Mawile.

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows

I have partnered Mawile with the Offensive Dragon Dance Zygarde set which is a great late game sweeper once enough of it's threats have been whittled down. It is running Dragonium Z to help destroy defensive cores and it is a great switch into some choice-locked users and Pokemon like Heatran which it can freely set up on.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm / Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Next I wanted a specially defensive wall and a Pokemon capable of setting up Stealth Rock thus I went for Specially Defensive Heatran. Heatran is a great pick as it is capable of switching into a lot of offensive threats such as Tapu Lele which it can wall quite well. Heatran is a very reliable rock and status user and my team appreciates the chip damage it provides.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

My team as of right now is very weak to the likes of Landorus-T and Ash Greninja / Greninja, so I decided to go with my own Greninja. I am running the Choice Scarf set because it is a great revenge killer and U-Turn allows it to gain momentum against Landorus which it would normally force out. I prefer Gunk Shot as it is able to hit specially defensive Tangrowth and stops it getting walled by the likes of Tapu Fini.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 58 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam / Volt Switch

Next I needed a Defog user so I chose Mew, however I also wanted Mew as it is capable of switching into offensive fighting threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny which would otherwise trouble my team. Mew's job is to switch into these offensive threats and throw off a Will-O-Wisp to cripple something or use Volt Switch / U-Turn to gain momentum. I personally prefer Volt switch over Ice Beam or Psychic as it rounds of the Volturn core and lets Mawile and Zygarde switch in without taking unnecessary damage. The EV spread lets it live two high jump kicks from adamant Mega Medicham as well as being able to switch into Zygarde Thousand Arrows.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 10 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Lastly I needed an immunity to ground as my team is very susceptible to threats like Dugtrio and Landorus. I went with the Roost + 3 Attacks set because Zapdos is great at destroying a lot of meta game Pokemon with it's wide move pool. I prefer to run a Timid plus max speed over other sets as it can outspeed Landorus-T, Zygarde, Tapu Bulu etc. I prefer Discharge over Thunderbolts extra damage as the 30% paralysis chance against it's switch ins could be crucial to being able to 1 vs 1 it or let my team outspeed.

Threat List

Through testing this team i have found I am very weak to:

Alolan Marowak - I have no real switch ins to this Pokemon, I would either have to sack something or double around to get in Greninja or Zygarde to deal with it.

Ash Greninja - This is still a big threat to my team as I have to be careful with my switch ins especially if it is Choice Specs.

Opposing heatran are a bit of an issue for this team as my only real answer to it is Zygarde and you want to minimise switching into it incase of a burn from lava plume or getting toxic.

Through testing I have had so much trouble with rain teams, once kingdra comes in I have absolutely no switch ins to it without having to sack a mon to get initiative. Even then my only chance is to weaken it with my priority moves. Swampert is easier to deal with being able to go into Mew but it still gets 2 hit OHKO by stab waterfall in rain.

Conclusion

Thanks in advance for looking at my first RMT please let me know if you see any changes that are needed and any more threats which could trouble this team :)​

Last edited:
Thanks for rating my team bro. I wouldn't change a thing about this team, but I may be able to list some more weaknesses. Tyranitar could be a nuisance, especially if it is the CB trapping set, effectively spelling a death sentence for your Mew. Otherwise, he could potentially punch holes with Earthquakes and Stone Edges. Volcarona could also be a huge problem if your Greninja gets killed early. As always, Mimikyu could be irritating. Mega-Manetric could also be a huge issue, as your only counter is Zygarde and Heatran, and most of them will run HP Ice, crippling Zygarde. Finally, Magearna could potentially have an easy time setting up on you, and if it is the set that runs HP Ground to counter Heatran, it could be game over if your Zapdos isn't healthy.

Pretty solid team here man. Not really much wrong with it but i do have some options for you to think about.

Ice Beam>Volturn Mew allows you to better deal with Landorus-T, who may be a problem if it is any one of the Z-move variants. I understand this may not be the most appealing change due to the loss of initiative but its something to consider.

Magma Storm>Lava Plume Allows you to trap Mega Venusaur as you don't have many other better ways to deal with it besides Z-Move Zygarde. Magma Storm along with Taunt allows you to completely shut it down.

Other than that i haven't been able to find much else. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for rating my team bro. I wouldn't change a thing about this team, but I may be able to list some more weaknesses. Tyranitar could be a nuisance, especially if it is the CB trapping set, effectively spelling a death sentence for your Mew. Otherwise, he could potentially punch holes with Earthquakes and Stone Edges. Volcarona could also be a huge problem if your Greninja gets killed early. As always, Mimikyu could be irritating. Mega-Manetric could also be a huge issue, as your only counter is Zygarde and Heatran, and most of them will run HP Ice, crippling Zygarde. Finally, Magearna could potentially have an easy time setting up on you, and if it is the set that runs HP Ground to counter Heatran, it could be game over if your Zapdos isn't healthy.
Thanks for your input, yeah tyranitar could be an issue I may try low kick over hink shot on my greninja if I struggle vs that mon. Magearna could also be problematic but heatran is my best switch in either way and I don't see many HP ground sets. If it becomes more common I'll swap heatran out :)

Pretty solid team here man. Not really much wrong with it but i do have some options for you to think about.

Ice Beam>Volturn Mew allows you to better deal with Landorus-T, who may be a problem if it is any one of the Z-move variants. I understand this may not be the most appealing change due to the loss of initiative but its something to consider.

Magma Storm>Lava Plume Allows you to trap Mega Venusaur as you don't have many other better ways to deal with it besides Z-Move Zygarde. Magma Storm along with Taunt allows you to completely shut it down.

Other than that i haven't been able to find much else. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah I have tried ice beam and psychic over volt switch. Personally I didn't really know which move to run, and preferred the momentum but I will test it out again.

Also magma storm is a good idea, I have had trouble with mega venusaur in the past so I'll definitely see how that goes. Thanks for reply

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)