SM OU Mega Lopunny [Replays Added]

Colorful and cool init?

• Total voters
Mega Lopunny

Hi, this is a team I built myself featuring a couple of 'mons that aren't seen that often such as Tapu Bulu and Marowak-Alola. Click the sprites above if you want to see the ladder scores I obtained while laddering. Anyways, this is the teambuilding process and more. Replays are provided too!

Teambuilding Process

I was checking SmogonDex and realised that there is a wicked new moveset for Lopunny-Mega of Return/HJK/PUP/Encore which I fell in love with immediately because of the amount of fat 'mons running around like Toxapex and this is a great way to shut them down.

SmogonDex suggested Lopunny is best paired with something that can break fatter teams as it has a good matchup Vs. offense and needs a good balance breaker. I previously have a Lopunny team that used Heatran so I decided to just go with Tapu Bulu this time.

These 2 have a glaring weakness to Pinsir-Mega so I added Celesteela to serve as my Pinsir counter. It also conveniently serves as my Tapu Lele answer.

Now it appears that I have a glaring weakness to Heatran so this was added to serve as my Heatran check and it also conveniently serves as my revenge killer.

Now it looked like Tapu Koko was going to give my team a headache, especially Choice Specs sets as Tapu Bulu does not take Dazzling Gleam well hence this was added and it also conveniently serves as my Stealth Rocker. While it's definitely not the most convenient one, it has worked out surprisingly well for me and now my team really gives stall a run a hard time with Tapu Bulu and Marowak-Alola. From my playing experience, it is usually best doubled in to either set up SR or just attack the opponent.

This was added as I now have a Fire-type on my team and I wanted hazard control. They have good synergy as well because Marowak-Alola weakens Steel-types for Latios to more freely use its strong Dragon and Psychic STABs.

Detailed Analysis

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

This is what the team was built around. Return and HJK are good STABs. Power-Up Punch is for use on predicted switches on matchups such as Lopunny-Mega Vs. Greninja-Ash. Encore is very, very nice because it locks fat 'mons into a move to give her a chance to use PUP or attack whatever is forced in.
I think that the main reason why this set has working so well for me on the ladder is because I don't think the ladder has caught up to this set and my opponents still think I'm running Ice Punch. When this set gains prominence, it will turn into a lot of annoying 50/50s as to whether people will stay in with their fat 'mons predicting the Encore and obviously it wouldn't be as good as it is right now.

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

This is standard and there isn't much explanation needed I feel. Z-Wood Hammer will nuke a lot of things bar Kartana, Ferrothorn & Celesteela. Superpower deals with predicted Kartana, Ferrothorn and Heatran switches. Horn Leech provides recovery.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

As mentioned earlier, this set deals with Pinsir-Mega, Tapu Lele and Scarf Kartana and the set is very standard. Leech Seed for recovery, Protect for more recovery, Heavy Slam as a strong STAB for fairies and Flamethrower for the likes of Kartana, Ferrothorn and Tangrowth.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump

My offensive Heatran switch-in and revenge killer. Scald and Secret Sword are spammable STABs. Stone Edge is for checking the ever-so-scary Volcarona and Hydro Pump is for situations where more power is needed to revenge kill.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

My Tapu Koko check and Stealth Rocker. It's Ghost typing is also very nice for my team as most players I've played were extremely reluctant to click HJK with Medicham-Mega because from the potential protect from Celesteela and this less commonly seen Ghost-type sitting in the back. Shadow Bone and Fire Punch are STABs that deal massive damage to a lot of enemies outside of Landorus-T. Swords Dance gives stall and fat teams with Tangrowth, Gastrodon and such a nightmare.

This 'mon, from my experience is best doubled in because otherwise it is hard to find switch-in opportunities for it outside of 'mons like AV Magearna, Tapu Koko and Choice Scarf Kartana. Even then, my opponents were all wary of it and they usually attempted to double out on this. So yea, in short it is best doubled in to cause damage. It is not the most convenient Stealth Rock setter but I found it to work alright for me on this team as I have Leech Seed and Grassy Terrain support.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Surf

Added primarily for its Defogging capabilities and secondarily it's nice synergy with Marowak-Alola which gets rid of Steel-types for it to freely spam its STABs which are very strong when boosted with Soul Dew. AV Tangrowth takes 33% from Psychic on average and won't appreciate repeatedly switching if it gets worn down. I prefer Psychic over Psyshock for the firepower and that Psyshock that only deals with primarily Chansey anyways and I have Tapu Bulu and Marowak-Alola to heavily pressure it. Last move is Surf because I wanted a secondary Heatran answer to relieve some of the pressure on Keldeo. This also lets Latios defog on SR Heatran.

Threats

Lopunny-Mega
Opposing 1s is a threat because I don't have any good switch-ins to it. I usually lead with Keldeo to force it out and work from there.

Trick Room
I don't deal well with Trick Room because I lag a good Marowak-Alola answer and my only decent answer to it can get worn down very fast by Crawdaunt.

Replays

I could have played a lot better in those replays. I'm just impatient (and bad).

Replay #1 - Displaying exactly why Lopunny is so damn good Vs. fat teams.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645633956

Replay #2 - I duno. I just won I guess.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645636987

Replay #3 - Lopunny cleans up.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645643552

Replay #4 - OMG I beat stall. Mai life is complete&^!%@^&!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645654536

Replay #5 - Marowak gets 5 kills Vs. some fatass team. Also thanks ThiccTornadus for lending me the account hehe.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-646054410

Guide to using Marowak-Alola(somewhat)....

Nice try at trying to catch my Marowak switch!!! For real though, this was risky as fuck and definitely not worth it teehee, I was just in a yolo mood.

A
dvice needed... + Importable

If anyone has ways to swap Marowak-Alola out for more splashable 1s like Lando-T without compromising the matchup Vs. Tapu Koko, I'm all ears. General feedback is nice too, otherwise click this below for the import...

Last edited:
Congrats, your team is the first team that i rate and improve (hopefully)

Lets Begin:

About your Celesteela, if it's main purpose is a mega Pinster counter, then is reccomend a Zapdos instead. It still resists everything Celesteela does (Except Tapu Lele, which ima get to), doesn't get destroyed by Magnezone, and opens up the defog slot for Latios.
Discharge as a main stab, along with the 30% paralysis chance, can be scary. Heatwave as a coverage. Defog to remove hazards, and Roost to keep it alive

For Latios, i do reccomend a scarf nuker, with Draco Meteor, Psychic, Surf, and Trick.
Scarf Psychic should take care of the Mega Lopunny problem, with a guarantee 1 shot, and take Keldeo's role as a revenge killer. Trick to go against Chansey, or any other major wall that could otherwise wall out Latios. Draco Meteor as the star of the show, dealing heavy damage to anyone that does not resist it. Surf for much the same reason you use it, as a main ways to go up against Heatran.

252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 306-360 (112.9 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The Marowak i found to be a cool niche in the team, since i don't see it as often as i wish i did. But as a High Jump Kick deterent, i don't feel it covers that role well enough. From the most common High Jump Kickers, Mega Medicham suffers most from it, but even then, unless its going up against a steel type (which this team no longer has due to the changes) a Zen Headbutt does massive damage to everything, ko'ing Marowak after stealth rocks. Along with the fact it isn't a very good rocker, i feel it needs to be replaced.
In its place, i reccomend Ferrothorn. Although not as good of a check as Marowak, still goes nicely against Tapu Koko, especially with Gyroball, and it walls out non z-move Landorus. This also serves as a check to Tapu Lele, only needing to protect against Focus Blast, then switching.
Leech Seed as a main means of recovery. Protect to threaten any High Jump Kicker, and to gain extra recovery, Stealth Rocks to rid of any Focus Sashes, and punish too many switch-ins, and gyroball so taunt won't destroy it. A Rocky Helmet so that with Iron Barbs, if any physical move touches it, mainly u-turn, that poke will lose 25% of its health, coupled with stealth rocks and Leech Seed, can be devestating.

Keldeo is nice, but the team needs a bit better protection against Trick Room, for this reason, i put Greninja in its place.
To start it off, Taunt as the main way to counter Trick Toom, and any fat mons. Hydro Pump to use as Hydro Vortex to 1 shot just about any trick room setter, barring Assault Vest Magerna, Porygon 2, and Cresselia, or to Ko anyone else to become Ash Greninja. Dark Pulse as a Secondary Stab. Ice Beam as a coverage move, and so that it has a 100% accuracy move to ko Landorus and Zygarde.

Since the Z Move is now on Greninja, a Choice Band on Tapu Bulu will still keep the offensive threat that it is.
Im also ajusting the evs to promote more bulk, so that less recoil is taken from wood hammer, since a base 75 speed isn't gonna outspeed much without a scarf.

Importable:

Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Greninja @ Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Trick

I hope that these change help. As for making any team, there is always room for discussion, and im very open to it, and will help as much as i can.
-vinmister10
Showdown: wildpalmtree

Last edited:
hi there, 1stly before anything, u put in effort to rate this and i must give u credit for this. the team looks fine on paper, ill have to go test and find out ill post stuff abt how i feel abt it when im done. ^_^

thank you!:toast:

Nice team mate, but I have some suggstions that let you check some of your mentioned threats.

The best koko/gren counter in the meta atm is Gastrodon, your team also strugles with rain when bulu is weakend by hurricane users. gastrodon's abillity storm Drain only adds to its defensive qualities, making it a great answer to Water-types in general, as well as to rain sweepers like Kingdra and Ash-Greninja what benefits your team alot.
A good pinsir/lele answer is skarm, Skarm gives you a rocker aswell, it also can eassily swith in to a hurricane from torn and can stay in because heat wave won't do a lot dure the fact of rain.
Use HP fire over surf on lati.. otherwise you lose against mega scizor.

Gastrodon --> Marowak-Alola
cellesteela --> Spdef skarm

The sets I suggest:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy/shed shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Taunt/whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Last edited:
Congrats, your team is the first team that i rate and improve (hopefully)
I hope that these change help. As for making any team, there is always room for discussion, and im very open to it, and will help as much as i can.
-vinmister10
Showdown: wildpalmtree
hello, so i did test this

um the 1st would be taunt on ash ninja is a bit iffy cuz its standard for trick room leads with have mental herb and ashninja without shuriken cuts into how good it is as a pokemon in general
zapdos without hp ice on a more offensively oriented team is kinda an issue cuz it gets forced out by z crystal lando-t, which are probably the most scary sets in ou cuz of how good they are (they always tend to get 1 kill or heavily weaken something if played out well)
psyshock is always better on scarf latios because that actually lets it hit volcarona somewhat
and that ferro has no spd evs which makes specs lele a big issue
and eh lastly, the team doesn't have a ground type/electric immunity which isnt generally a good ideal cuz ground types prevent specs tapu koko from straight up robbing momentum from a team via volt switch to bring in their high powered offensive teammates like medicham is something most teams would want to avoid

sorry, honestly do appreciate the time u put into this

Nice team mate, but I have some suggstions that let you check some of your mentioned threats.

Gastrodon --> Marowak-Alola
cellesteela --> Spdef skarm
so eh, spdef on skarm doesnt help much with tapu lele to be honest cuz specs gives it incredible firepower and im sure its a 2hko after rocks with psychic
so gastrodon is... just passive and i dont like it much, its only niche is for koko and ninja which can set spikes in its face or u-turn chip it

sorry

Hey bro I have a few suggestions, Not sure how useful they will be though as other changes i made took too much from what you had already created, but here is what I have come up with:

• First of all i want to make patios your scarf user. For this reason use Psyshock over psychic. If you prefer surf over trick on this set then that's preference. Scarf latios is a solid answer to Zard X and volcarona meaning you won't get swept by them.
  • Next I want to change tapu bulu to tangrowth because it is a much better ash greninja and koko switch in. It can pressure so much with its vast movepool. Yes you lose a wallbreaker but i plan to change that in another change.
  • Finally i want to suggest tyranitar over keldeo. It deals with a lot of bulky walls letting lopunny sweep. It also stops psychic spam if celesteela is low or a risky switch. It can pursuit trap the latis and mew which are an issue for lopunny. It also is a solid answer to charizard y with weather change something your team appreciates as latios can't keep taking hits. It also eases your rain match up too.
I will update sets and everything later kinda rushed for time. Hope these changes help bud

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey! Nice team you have here. I will put the importable and the sets when I switch on my pc. Here are my changes:

Tangrowth > bulu. As other commen has said, it switchs into koko safely and it switch into gash more or less safely too.

Heatran > Marowak. I don't like alowak, with all the hazards that you can find on ladder, it is useless imo. It is a nice fire resist now that you will not have lati

Latios > Mew. This will be your answer to lopu and medicham. It will be your defog user and can outspeed and kill flynium lando-t.

These are the changes.

You can use a zapdos instead of teela and put stealth rock on mew if you want to put magma + sub tran, but this is optional.

Here is the importable

Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Hey! Nice team you have here. I will put the importable and the sets when I switch on my pc. Here are my changes:

Tangrowth > bulu. As other commen has said, it switchs into koko safely and it switch into gash more or less safely too.

Heatran > Marowak. I don't like alowak, with all the hazards that you can find on ladder, it is useless imo. It is a nice fire resist now that you will not have lati

Latios > Mew. This will be your answer to lopu and medicham. It will be your defog user and can outspeed and kill flynium lando-t.

These are the changes.

You can use a zapdos instead of teela and put stealth rock on mew if you want to put magma + sub tran, but this is optional.

Sorry, I forgot haha
YO, so is this the lineup you're suggesting to me?

Last edited:
hello, so i did test this

um the 1st would be taunt on ash ninja is a bit iffy cuz its standard for trick room leads with have mental herb and ashninja without shuriken cuts into how good it is as a pokemon in general
zapdos without hp ice on a more offensively oriented team is kinda an issue cuz it gets forced out by z crystal lando-t, which are probably the most scary sets in ou cuz of how good they are (they always tend to get 1 kill or heavily weaken something if played out well)
psyshock is always better on scarf latios because that actually lets it hit volcarona somewhat
and that ferro has no spd evs which makes specs lele a big issue
and eh lastly, the team doesn't have a ground type/electric immunity which isnt generally a good ideal cuz ground types prevent specs tapu koko from straight up robbing momentum from a team via volt switch

sorry
Alright... i thought those problems might arise, so i made a couple changes to the team

First, the weaknesses you brought up...

---->

Ferrothorn ----> Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

This one change takes care of the Landorus-Therian problem (as long as it isn't a flynium-z set. And may result in a knocked off av at the trade of 60% on landorus ), can at least Knock Off Tapu Lele's item, and walls Tapu Koko to no end. It also serves as a main switch in from Zapdos against Landorus or Zygarde
Giga Drain as a main STAB move, and gives it recovery without switching out.
Knock Off to get rid of any Choice item someone may holding.
Hp Ice to effectively combat Zygarde or Landorus.
Earthquake so that it can take on heatran effectivcely.

Tons of Calcs

Vs. Defensive Landorus Therian
- 0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 60-71 (14.8 - 17.5%) -- possible 6HKO
- 0 Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
- 0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 220-260 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs. Choice Band Zygarde
- 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
- 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 96-114 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- 94.1% chance to 4HKO
- 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Outrage vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 217-256 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Specs Tapu Koko
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth in Electric Terrain: 99-117 (24.5 - 28.9%) -- 99.5% chance to 4HKO
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- 5.4% chance to 3HKO
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 118-140 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 6.9% chance to 3HKO
- 0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 166-196 (59 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Trapper Heatran
- 252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 242-288 (59.9 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 272-324 (84.2 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

----->

Tapu Bulu ----> Victini

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate

I've been fighting not to replace Tapu Bulu, since it goes so well with Lopunny. For that reason, i will say that this change is not necessary.

First, Victini's ability.
As long as it isn't fainted, it provides a accuracy bonus to the entire team, most importantly, to Lopunny, whose High Jump Kick gets boosted to 99 accuracy.

Scarf gives it enough speed to outpace every unscarfed poke, and allows for 2 V Creates in succession.
U-Turn so it can serve as a lead poke.
V Create as the main stab, able to revenge kill just about anything
Bolt Strike so it won't always be walled by a water poke
Glaciate so that it can revenge kill landorus, or Zygarde. (Generally does about 50-80 to each)

Latios

Just to avoid the team being full of choice people, i will bring latios's item back to a soul dew.

---->

Greninja---->Landorus Therian

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

As by the famous words, uttered by jontron... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. For this reason, Landorus will go in Greninja's spot. This gives you the electric immunity you wanted, a Volcarona counter for Tangrowth, Stealth Rock setter, Intimidate support, and a z move user.

Stealth Rocks to punish switch ins
Stone edge to hit flying types, and for the z crystal.
Earthquake as a main stab
Knock Off as a generally hard hitting move, and to rid of items (duh)

Alright, 'sup people, I realised I'm a dumbass for not including some replays to show the team actually works. Had some time and was in the mood for it so I decided to go ladder a bit with the original team. What's an RMT without some proper replays eh? Oh and I could have been a lot more patient in those replays, I'm just an impatient (and bad) button smashing shithead who wanted to get games over with ASAP.

Replay #1 - Displaying exactly why Lopunny is so damn good Vs. fat teams.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645633956

Replay #2 - I duno. I just won I guess.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645636987

Replay #3 - Lopunny cleans up.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645643552

Replay #4 - OMG I beat stall. Mai life is complete&^!%@^&!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-645654536

Replay #5 - Marowak gets 5 kills Vs. some fatass team. Also thanks ThiccTornadus for lending me the account hehe.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-646054410

Lastly, something to show some rankings because that's what you all wanna see too eh!? Got my to OLT alts to around 1850 from 1700 with it .

Nice try at trying to catch my Marowak switch!!! For real though, this was risky as fuck and definitely not worth it teehee, I was just in a yolo mood.

Last edited:
Also, sorry for how messy this probably is right now as I'm doing this on mobile. I'll get to editing this to make it more visually appealing when I'm at the computer. EDITED

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna reply to dees wubly rates when I'm at the computer! Mostly done

Last edited:
Hey bro I have a few suggestions, Not sure how useful they will be though as other changes i made took too much from what you had already created, but here is what I have come up with:

• First of all i want to make patios your scarf user. For this reason use Psyshock over psychic. If you prefer surf over trick on this set then that's preference. Scarf latios is a solid answer to Zard X and volcarona meaning you won't get swept by them.
  • Next I want to change tapu bulu to tangrowth because it is a much better ash greninja and koko switch in. It can pressure so much with its vast movepool. Yes you lose a wallbreaker but i plan to change that in another change.
  • Finally i want to suggest tyranitar over keldeo. It deals with a lot of bulky walls letting lopunny sweep. It also stops psychic spam if celesteela is low or a risky switch. It can pursuit trap the latis and mew which are an issue for lopunny. It also is a solid answer to charizard y with weather change something your team appreciates as latios can't keep taking hits. It also eases your rain match up too.
I will update sets and everything later kinda rushed for time. Hope these changes help bud

I like this version of the rate very much from a first glance and that's an honest opinion. I'm replacing Marowak-Alola with Z-Outrage Garchomp then because with Tangrowth I shouldn't be needing it. I wanted to go with Landorus-T initially but Medicham + Heatran were looking like bitches if I let them in for free.

Can I see your sets please?

These are the changes.

Alright... i thought those problems might arise, so i made a couple changes to the team

First, the weaknesses you brought up...

---->

Ferrothorn ----> Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

This one change takes care of the Landorus-Therian problem (as long as it isn't a flynium-z set. And may result in a knocked off av at the trade of 60% on landorus ), can at least Knock Off Tapu Lele's item, and walls Tapu Koko to no end. It also serves as a main switch in from Zapdos against Landorus or Zygarde
Giga Drain as a main STAB move, and gives it recovery without switching out.
Knock Off to get rid of any Choice item someone may holding.
Hp Ice to effectively combat Zygarde or Landorus.
Earthquake so that it can take on heatran effectivcely.

Tons of Calcs

Vs. Defensive Landorus Therian
- 0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 60-71 (14.8 - 17.5%) -- possible 6HKO
- 0 Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
- 0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 220-260 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs. Choice Band Zygarde
- 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
- 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 96-114 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- 94.1% chance to 4HKO
- 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Outrage vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 217-256 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Specs Tapu Koko
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth in Electric Terrain: 99-117 (24.5 - 28.9%) -- 99.5% chance to 4HKO
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- 5.4% chance to 3HKO
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 118-140 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 6.9% chance to 3HKO
- 0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 166-196 (59 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs. Trapper Heatran
- 252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 242-288 (59.9 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 272-324 (84.2 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

----->

Tapu Bulu ----> Victini

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate

I've been fighting not to replace Tapu Bulu, since it goes so well with Lopunny. For that reason, i will say that this change is not necessary.

First, Victini's ability.
As long as it isn't fainted, it provides a accuracy bonus to the entire team, most importantly, to Lopunny, whose High Jump Kick gets boosted to 99 accuracy.

Scarf gives it enough speed to outpace every unscarfed poke, and allows for 2 V Creates in succession.
U-Turn so it can serve as a lead poke.
V Create as the main stab, able to revenge kill just about anything
Bolt Strike so it won't always be walled by a water poke
Glaciate so that it can revenge kill landorus, or Zygarde. (Generally does about 50-80 to each)

Latios

Just to avoid the team being full of choice people, i will bring latios's item back to a soul dew.

---->

Greninja---->Landorus Therian

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

As by the famous words, uttered by jontron... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. For this reason, Landorus will go in Greninja's spot. This gives you the electric immunity you wanted, a Volcarona counter for Tangrowth, Stealth Rock setter, Intimidate support, and a z move user.

Stealth Rocks to punish switch ins
Stone edge to hit flying types, and for the z crystal.
Earthquake as a main stab
Knock Off as a generally hard hitting move, and to rid of items (duh)
Hi, I'm actually a bit confused by this, can I see the actual lineup of 6 please? Sorry for the trouble.

I like this version of the rate very much from a first glance and that's an honest opinion. I'm replacing Marowak-Alola with Z-Outrage Garchomp then because with Tangrowth I shouldn't be needing it. I wanted to go with Landorus-T initially but Medicham + Heatran were looking like bitches if I let them in for free.

Can I see your sets please?

Sorry I forgot >.<
Yep that's the line up though i initially left it is marowak rather than chomp just to ease the match up vs steel and grass types. If you want you could swap marowak out for Firium Z heatran set which takes pressure off tyranitar solo wallbreaking. It keeps pressure on celesteela etc. And still gives SR but makes matchup against medicham shaky. You also worry less about heatran though you do risk a speed tie. Personally the slot is up to you, if steel types are problematic then I advice one of the fire types else stick with garchomp.
Ive added rocks over taunt in this case if you wanted heatran to test. Also with tyranitar depending on the last Pokemon is which move you should use. If you use a fire type go Earthquake otherwise go for fire punch as it's needed to break through scizor etc.

Importable Sets
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake / Fire Punch

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Stealth rock
- Earth Power

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)