Gen 7 Mawile + Greninja Volt Turn (ft.Kommo-O) (1655 ELO peak)

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Mawile + Greninja Offense

This is a Volt Turn team built around the offensive core of Mawile + Choice Specs Greninja. It uses a Lando-Mag-Wash Volt Turn core with Kommo-O as a last to deal with offensive fire types.

Importable: MawGren VoltTurn Offense(Kommo-O) (pokepast.es)

Proof of peak is psoted below.

Teambuilding Process

1. I wanted to build around the offensive core of SD Mawile + Specs Greninja.

2. I added a Rotom-Wash to help with the rain MU and switch into Ground and some Fire types for Mawile.

3. MixDef AV Magearna was added to deal with Psychics like Lele and Zam and to provide a blanket special wall. It also provides Volt Turn support.

4. Bulky Scarf Lando-T was added to check Kartana and other physical attackers as well as provide speed control.

5. Offensive Kommo-O was added to the last slot to check offensive fire types like Zard Y and provide a backup check to Greninja.

Set Descriptions

Mawile

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Mawile has good synergy with Greninja as it helps weaken answers to it like Ferrothorn and Toxapex. Gren’s spikes also help it in breaking though soft checks like Heatran, Ferrothorn etc. It also comes in easily on special walls like Chansey and Gastrodon that Gren lures in and scares them out. An SD set with Knock Off was chosen it as provides an extra late game sweeper and can weaken defensive pokemon early game.

Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Gren makes for a very dangerous cleaner late game once defensive pokemon like Ferro, Pex, Magearna etc are sufficiently weakened. Mawile and Kommo-O both appreciate Gren’s spikes support to help wear down their respective checks. It also lures in specially defensive pokemon for Mawile and Kommo-O to take advantage of.

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Wash switches into Earthquakes and some fire-type attacks for Mawile and provides this team’s offensive threats with Volt Switch support. It also improves the Rain MU greatly by reliably answering Mega Swampert. It also complements Lando-T defensively and forms a Volt Turn core with it.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Provides Speed Control and also compresses a physical wall. A Bulky EV spread is used to allow it to survive 2 Leaf Blades from Scarf Kart. Explosion allows you to not be complete setup bait for Hawlucha. HP Fire is used in the last slot to RK SD Kart. It also provides U-Turn support and forms a large part of this team’s defensive backbone.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Obligatory check to Psychics like Zam and Lele. It also has great synergy with Landorus-Therian. Also provides a blanket special wall. Extra defense EVs allow you to tank +2 HJK from Hawlucha. Explosion prevents Volcarona from setting up for free.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Kommo-O complements Mawile and A-Gren very well. It gets up rocks, switches into Heatran for Mawile and pressures Magearna and Fini for A-Gren. It also provides this team with a soft check to offensive fire types like Zard-Y, Heatran and some Volcarona sets(which the team is otherwise very soft into).

Attachments

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
I have made many different variations of this team with mixed results and I will now write about the most successful ones. Landorus-Therian + Magearna + Rotom-Wash is a fairly solid defensive core and allows me a lot of flexibility in choosing the last slot. Most of the pokemon I choose for last slot were ones which either synergized well with Mawile + Greninja and/or helped out the team's weakness to offensive fire types.
1. Version 2: Scarf Victini (:mawile: :greninja: :victini: :landorus-therian: :magearna: :rotom-wash:)
Choice Scarf Victini was chosen as the last slot for its ability to lure and remove Heatran and Toxapex with Final Gambit. This would clear the way for Mawile-Mega and Ash-Greninja respectively. Since I now had a free Z-Move slot and already had a scarfer, I also changed the Lando-T to a bulky Swords Dance + Stealth Rock set with Flyinium-Z. This one also uses an All Out Attacking Mawile set with Fire Fang and Thunder Punch to pose a more immediate threat to Ferrothorn and Toxapex.
2. Version 3: Glare Serperior (:mawile: :greninja: :serperior: :landorus-therian: :magearna: :rotom-wash:)
Serperior and Mawile wear down Heatran for each other, and Glare support from Serp helps Mawile find opportunities to setup or attack. Glare paralyzing Heatran also makes it easier for Mawile to break through it. Serperior also switches into Ground moves aimed at Mawile. This version uses a faster Rotom-Wash with Waterium-Z to better handle Heatran.
3. Version 4: Electrium-Z Rotom-Wash (:mawile: :greninja: :kommo-o: :landorus-therian: :magearna: :rotom-wash:)
Offensive Rotom-Wash can lure in and remove Toxapex to open the way for Ash-Greninja and greatly synergizes with its spikes support. Landorus-T and Kommo-O were changed to defensive sets to compensate for offensive R-Wash's lack of bulk.

Last edited:

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
Hey, sorry to bother you. I'm getting into SM OU rn and really enjoy it so far. Is this team still good?
(I want to use more then just sample teams haha, even though those are really good)

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey, sorry to bother you. I'm getting into SM OU rn and really enjoy it so far. Is this team still good?
(I want to use more then just sample teams haha, even though those are really good)
The meta hasn't shifted much from when this team was made, so it should still work fine. Feel free to use it. Teams in old generations like 7 don't usually get oudated in only 6 months because metagame shifts happen very slowly in SM OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)