Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by the king of gondor

cold bacon

Name: Mamoswine (#473)
Typing:

Base Stats: 110 HP / 130 Atk / 80 Def / 70 SpA / 60 SpD / 80 Spe
Abilities:
Oblivious: The Pokémon cannot be under the Attract condition, or be taunted, while having this ability.
Snow Cloak: Raises the Pokémon’s evasion during a hailstorm by one level.
Thick Fat: Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage.

Notable moves (STAB moves in blue)
Earthquake
Endeavor
Freeze-Dry
Ice Shard
Icicle Crash
Icicle Spear

Knock Off
Stealth Rock
Superpower

Overview:
Mamoswine has a solid base 130 Attack stat, and very powerful dual STABs in the form of Icicle Crash and Earthquake, which give very solid neutral coverage in OU. Strong priority in the form of Ice Shard is also nice, as it allows it to be a great check to double genie offense. However, while having a great offensive typing, its defensive typing is rather lackluster, giving it multiple weaknesses, especially to common priority moves such as bullet punch and mach punch.

Potential Movesets:

All-Out Attacker

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

This set is Mamoswine's best set by far. Earthquake and Icicle Crash are two of Mamoswine's most powerful STAB moves, while Ice Shard helps patch up Mamoswine's lower speed, while also making it a solid revenge killer. The introduction of Freeze Dry is a great boon to Mamoswine, allowing it to lure in Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Gyarados. the 16 special attack EVs ensure that Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Freeze Dry after stealth rock damage.
A set with Focus Sash and Stealth Rock can also be considered, but Mamoswine lacks a way of getting past Mega Sableye, which is why Garchomp is usually preferred as a lead stealth rock setter.

Suicide Lead

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor / Icicle Spear

A suicide lead with Focus Sash and Stealth Rock is also a viable option on Mamoswine. It separates itself from other suicide leads such as Garchomp by being immune to Taunt, thanks to Oblivious. Endeavor combined with Focus Sash is also a good tactic to bring any Pokemon that brings Mamoswine down to it's sash to 1%, allowing it to finish it off with Ice Shard. A Life Orb can also be used for breaking past Mega Sableye, but a Focus Sash is usually preferred as it almost guarantees that Stealth Rock will go up.

Conclusion:
Mamoswine is a very powerful Pokemon in OU. Having access to near perfect neutral coverage, powerful STAB moves, and priority Ice Shard, Mamoswine is a force to be reckoned with. Mamoswine is also a solid check to double genie offense, involving Landorus-I and Thundurus-I, which has been getting common lately.

How do you think Mamoswine is doing in the current metagame? Also feel free to discuss other potential movesets!

Last edited:
I personally think Mamoswine's situation is just as good if not a bit better in the current Meta game. The metagame's slowing down in favor of more bulky/balanced builds, so Mamoswine's speed is less of an issue, though priority he dislikes is still present. Landorus-I is getting more and more popular, and being able to Revenge/Check it with Ice Shard is a point in his favor in its own right.

Mamoswine also has something small but nice for a Physical attacker: he doesn't depend on contact moves. With a number of Physically bulky mons having passive damage means (Rocky Helmet on Skarmory, ability on Ferrothorn, both on tank Garchomp), not losing HP to that on top of LO recoil if they come into his moves is actually a nice contribution to Mamoswine's longevity against balance teams using these as blanket answers to Physical opponents.

You should put in a lead set. well not the best set is still quite good if you can avoid sableye

Mamoswine @ Life Orb/ Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock

Icicle spear is to break sashes, and as such is used over icicle crash
ice shard alows it to revenge many things most notably Dragonite, landourus, and gliscor
Stealth rock for obvious reasons
Oblivious is to avoid a taunt
with an intact focus sash intact it can potentially one hit a a landours-t at -1. if it survives ice shard is capable of finishing it off most of the time
Life orb allows it to 2hko Mega sableye(3Hit if it gets the burn so not a great choice to take it on).

I didn't put a lead set in, but I did get a mention. I felt it didn't deserve a mention as they lack a way of getting past mega sableye (prankster will o wisp and spam recover), so setting up SR as a lead is usually best left to mons such as skill swap azelf or SD garchomp.

Scarf Mamo is also viable but you see it every once in a while in tournament play or so, you dont have to make a a whole set devoted to it tbh, just mention it somewhere.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Mamo is also viable but you see it every once in a while in tournament play or so, you dont have to make a a whole set devoted to it tbh, just mention it somewhere.
In what tournament are you seeing scarf mamoswine lol

Also I'd probably slash stealth rock on the set in the OP, mamo is a great offensive stealth rocker if you can't fit rocks somewhere else on your team.

In what tournament are you seeing scarf mamoswine lol

Also I'd probably slash stealth rock on the set in the OP, mamo is a great offensive stealth rocker if you can't fit rocks somewhere else on your team.
I know it was a thing in BW, and I know for sure I saw it leak into 6th gen, I remember watching someone notable use it b4, just can't put my finger on it or else I would have mentioned it in my last post.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Scarf Mamoswine gained some usage when Landorus, Thundurus, Zard-X and Mega Pinsir where in the S rank at the same time iirc.
I think Stealth Rock definitely deserves a set on its own in the OP even if it is stopped by Mega Sableye. There are many stealth rock users around that are still pretty useful even though they are stopped by Mega Sableye such as Lando-T, Skarmory and Tyranitar. The sash lead set lost some utility (hence it went from A to A- / B+) but it is still a very good suicide lead.

Quoting firehusky
I didn't put a lead set in, but I did get a mention. I felt it didn't deserve a mention as they lack a way of getting past mega sableye (prankster will o wisp and spam recover), so setting up SR as a lead is usually best left to mons such as skill swap azelf or SD garchomp
Skill Swap on Azelf only gets 18% usage so I really don't get that point. The best set of Azelf is its suicide lead set and without Skill Swap (which it lacks 82% of the time) it doesn't win against Mega Sableye. However, it is still ranked B rank so even a lead that loses 1v1 against Mega Sableye is viable. So why is that not the case for Mamoswine?

Usage isn't a factor in an argument. It's B rank because it has taunt, allowing it to stop other leads from getting up SR, while also having explosion to get momentum after doing it's job. Having skill swap to get past sableye is only a little reason why it's B ranked. Skill swap azelf was only an example, but why are we talking about azelf? Mamoswine pretty much lost one of it's best sets from the XY era, and that's also a big factor as to why it dropped. The reason Lando-T is an effective stealth rock user is because it can stop physical attackers, and can use u-turn to grab momentum. iirc earth plate sets can also 2HKO mega sableye with like 15% prior damage or something. When your best set is walled by a pokemon that is quite common atm, then it's usually not good. Garchomp is just better overall as an SR setter.

I wouldn't say Sash Mamo isn't without its merits. Btw, I'm pretty sure SketchUp was referring to defensive Landorus-T, not EPlate. Skarm is also stopped cold by Sableye, as is TTar and they are still seen as effective hazard users. I also wouldn't say Garchomp is overall better than Mamo as a setter, because Mamo is neutral to Ice and has priority. The Ice neutrally is big if using either Landorus because you don't want to multiply what is already a large Ice weakness. Also, LO Mamo is a great setter because it can score an outright 2HKO on Sableye with a Life Orb boost. You give up Freeze-Dry but get Rocks. Oh yeah, immune to Taunt and has a multi-hit move. Both help with the match-up against other suicide leads like Terrakion and Azelf. I feel you are overstating exactly how unviable it is. Sash Mamo used to be a great lead, and now it's just average but not unusable.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess being immune to taunt was something that I overlooked, that's actually a decent reason for it to have a set.

I find it odd that we're talking about using mamoswine as a lead and nobudy is bothering to mention that it gets access to endeavor. As a lead with focus sash, endeavor, AND having a great STAB priority I think this pkmn can really shine as a decent lead in OU

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

This set works great as a dedicated lead. It has all the tools you could ask for. Rocks? Check, endeavor? Check, stab priority? Check, power? Check. And to top it off it can't even be taunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)