Gen 1 Machamp [PU] [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
:rb/machamp:
Always second-best
Machamp's solid bulk and powerful offenses make it the premier check to Nidoqueen, avoiding a 3HKO from any of its attacks while 2HKOing back with Earthquake. Its multitude of offensive options, such as Earthquake, Body Slam, and Hyper Beam, make it difficult for Fighting-resistant foes, like Gastly and Abra, to check it. Machamp's bulk allows it to reliably avoid 2HKOs from threats like Pinsir and Seaking, making it a good blanket check to most of PU. Lastly, Machamp's Speed, while poor, has some merit, outpacing defensive stalwarts like Omanyte, Porygon, and Graveler.

However, Machamp suffers from its low Speed and poor defensive utility barring raw bulk; it requires paralysis support while fearing paralysis itself, and it is vulnerable to being worn down quickly. A paralyzed Machamp becomes quite simple to revenge kill, exposing its weak defensive profile to slower attackers. Weaknesses to Flying- and Psychic-type attacks from Fearow, Abra, Drowzee, and Gastly don't help it either. Other physical attackers like Pinsir and Seaking also give it significant competition, offering higher Speed and additional utility as wallbreakers.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Submission / Low Kick
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Hyper Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Submission is Machamp's primary STAB move, always 2HKOing Staryu and KOing Porygon at 81%. Low Kick is an alternative to Submission that can flinch, is more accurate, and mixes well with paralysis support. It can also still 2HKO Porygon, though it lacks use otherwise. Earthquake targets Fighting-resistant Pokemon like Nidoqueen and Gastly and 2HKOes Rapidash and Arcanine. Body Slam can potentially paralyze Psychic-types like Drowzee, Abra, and Slowpoke, allowing Machamp to win those matchups. Hyper Beam is its strongest attack, defeating Dragonair and Staryu when they are below 51.6% and 69.9% and OHKOing Abra.

Staryu is an excellent partner for Machamp, helping to spread paralysis and acting as a decent paralysis absorber itself. Porygon and Dragonair also can help to spread paralysis. Omanyte and Graveler can both check Fearow, one of Machamp's worst matchups. In turn, Machamp can check Nidoqueen and threaten it with Earthquake. Psychic-types, like Drowzee and Abra, can switch into opposing Psychic-types, preserving Machamp's usefulness as a tank. Barring the lead slot, Machamp can be used at any point in a game depending on the opponent's team, though it often functions best as a late-game attacker with paralysis support, threatening heavy damage with its raw power and wide coverage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Fire Blast can 2HKO Pinsir, 3HKO the uncommon Vileplume, and try to spread burns, though it lacks use otherwise. Rock Slide can serve as a midground option for Fearow and Fire-types, though its other coverage moves are usually more useful.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fearow**: Fearow is immune to Earthquake, cannot be paralyzed by Body Slam, and outspeeds and 2HKOes Machamp with Drill Peck.

**Burn**: Burns neuter Machamp's offensive capabilities, making it nothing more than a status absorber. Nidoqueen and Fire-types, like Rapidash and Arcanine, can threaten to burn it.

**Faster Attackers**: Once Machamp has been sufficiently weakened, faster attackers like Abra, Gastly, and Rapidash can revenge kill it without too much trouble.

**Partial Trappers**: Due to Machamp's low Speed and middling Special bulk, partial trappers like Rapidash and Dragonair can whittle it down, though they can't easily switch in.

**Paralysis**: Paralysis exposes Machamp to slower Pokemon like Drowzee and Omanyte. Staryu and Dragonair can easily hamstring it and then deal enough damage for a slower teammate to finish Machamp off. Body Slam users like Omanyte and opposing Machamp threaten to do the same, albeit much less reliably.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/5dots.543866/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/phoopes.96315/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/gangsta-spongebob.535530/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/sabelette.583793/
Grammar checked by:

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here we go!

Machamp's decent bulk and powerful offenses makes it a solid offensive tank, checking Nidoqueen and Pinsir.
I don't think you can oversell how great it is that Machamp checks Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen has next to no shot at 3HKOing Machamp while Machamp almost always 2HKOs in return. This is huge. Also it's a more tenuous check to Pinsir since Pinsir outspeeds and 3HKOs, or at the very least can Bind it. I'd emphasize more the checking of Nidoqueen and less so of Pinsir.

Supplementing its sheer power displays a multitude of coverage options, such as EdgeQuake, Body Slam, and Hyper Beam, making it difficult for Fighting-type resists like Gastly, Abra, and the aforementioned Nidoqueen, Pinsir.
I'd replace "displays" with "is." Also "making it difficult for Fighting-type resists..." to do what? I'd say difficult to switch in. It also reads a little weird to have Body Slam and Hyper Beam listed as coverage moves since they're Normal-type but like I guess so. Maybe someone else can help with how to word that.

Lastly, Machamp's Speed, while poor, has some merit, outpacing threats like Omantye, Porygon, and Graveler, allowing it to reliably check them.
I'd go for different wording than "threats" here. Something like "defensive centerpieces" perhaps.

However, Machamp suffers from its low Speed and offering next to nothing; it requires a lot of paralysis support to be fully optimized while fearing paralysis itself, and is vulnerable to being worn down quickly despite its good bulk.
I think it's weird that you say it offers next to nothing the paragraph after describing its actual, valuable strengths. I'm higher on Machamp than most people I would say but this really undersells what it has to offer IMO.

Weaknesses to the common Psychic attacks from Abra and Gastly don't help it much either, causing it to be forced out lest it suffers huge damage.
Throw Drowzee in here too.

Low Kick can be used over Submission with paralysis support and for a STAB move that does not miss.
You never say what Submission is for and why it's listed first on the set over Low Kick. Giving some Submission calcs might be helpful, then saying that Low Kick is a lower-power alternative that can flinch and has better accuracy.

Earthquake targets Fighting-resistant and -immune Pokemon like Nidoqueen and Gastly, while also 2HKOing Rapidash.
Worth it to include Arcanine as well here IMO, it's become more common and you're including Rapidash too.

Hyper Beam is its strongest move, 2HKOing Dragonair and Staryu.
Due to the nature of Hyper Beam, I think it's weird to cite it as a 2HKO on stuff. Maybe just give the calc with how much it damage it does.

Other Pokemon like Porygon and Dragpmaor also offer good utility for spreading paralysis.
Dragpmaor is my favorite Pokemon.

While Machamp is usually used early-game as a tank, it can also be a potent late-game attacker with paralysis support, threatening heavy damage with its raw power and wide coverage.
I wouldn't say "usually" used as an early-game tank. I personally try to save Machamp for later, when the opposing Nidoqueen comes in. This has changed more recently with the introduction of Porygon though. I'd say depending on what your opponent is showing you Machamp is pretty good anywhere except the lead slot.

Other Options
=============
Toxic can cripple partial trappers like Rapidash and Dragonair, though Machamp is already strapped for slots and cannot easily afford to give up one of its coverage moves. Fire Blast can 2HKO Pinsir, 3HKO the rare Vileplume, and try to spread burns, though it lacks use otherwise.
You mention EdgeQuake coverage earlier but don't include Rock Slide in Other Options. Yeah, Fire Blast is better for hitting Pinsir, but Rock Slide is your best bet against Fearow, so I think it's worth a mention over something like Toxic. (yeah you probably shouldn't be using Rock Slide or Toxic but Other Options is used for discouraging stuff too, so I'd put Fire Blast first as a viable other option, followed by Rock Slide then Toxic)

Checks and Counters
Add a Fearow section. There's no section on Fearow when it can come in for free on Earthquake and then outspeed and do huge damage with Drill Peck.

Other Pokemon with Psychic-type coverage, like Gastly, Porygon, and Magmar can similarly threaten it, though only the former has a chance to 2HKO Machamp.
Idk if Porygon and Magmar are worth a mention here tbh. The day I see a Porygon run Psychic is the day I eat my hat tbh. And I guess Magmar exists for Fire Spam teams? But who's using Magmar really.

---

Not going to stamp this quite yet because of the bunch of changes I have listed. But let me know when you make the adjustments!

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Apologies to 5Dots and Phoopes if this is confusing or out of line, but given that we have had a big conversation on Discord on this analysis, I feel I ought to add some more corrections before going forward.

Machamp's decent bulk and powerful offenses makes it a solid offensive tank, checking Nidoqueen and Pinsir.
Do what Phoopes said, but I'd omit saying that Champ checks Pinsir. Without Fire Blast, which is an oo, at best they trade, though in a pure 1v1 Pinsir is favored.

Supplementing its sheer power displays a multitude of coverage options, such as EdgeQuake, Body Slam, and Hyper Beam, making it difficult for Fighting-type resists like Gastly, Abra, and the aforementioned Nidoqueen, Pinsir.
The proper term is QuakeSlide, but Rock Slide is almost irrelevant for Machamp. I recommend just saying that it threatens Pokemon that resist or are immune to Fighting with its Earthquake, Body Slam, and Hyper Beam. Be sure to not use "resist" as a noun.

However, Machamp suffers from its low Speed and offering next to nothing; it requires a lot of paralysis support to be fully optimized while fearing paralysis itself, and is vulnerable to being worn down quickly despite its good bulk.
As Phoopes said, "offering next to nothing" isn't accurate, better to just say that its Speed leaves it liable to being worn down by faster threats, and that it benefits greatly from paralysis support.

For the overview, I'd also emphasize Machamp's ability to break through Porygon, as that's a big deal for it in this tier. You mention it, but I'd go more in depth as it's important. I'd also mention its really bad Fearow matchup, as Fearow is top tier.

Low Kick can be used over Submission with paralysis support and for a STAB move that does not miss.
Low Kick has only 90% accuracy and be sure to mention the damage ranges of the 2.

Psychic-types like Drowzee and Abra can switch into opposing Psychic-types, preserving Machamp's usefulness as a tank.
Just say Drowzee, Abra loses as all of them have Thunder Wave, which Abra hates.

Other Options
=============
Toxic can cripple partial trappers like Rapidash and Dragonair, though Machamp is already strapped for slots and cannot easily afford to give up one of its coverage moves. Fire Blast can 2HKO Pinsir, 3HKO the rare Vileplume, and try to spread burns, though it lacks use otherwise.
As we discussed on Discord, Toxic isn't good, you should omit it. Mention Fire Blast for Pinsir first. Then state how Rock Slide is Machamp's best move against Fearow, but given that Fearow outspeeds and 2HKOes Machamp, and that Hyper Beam does about the same damage, it isn't very good.

For checks and Counters, add a Fearow section 1st, as it's Machamp's most common and strongest check. Mention how it outspeeds and 2HKOes with Drill Peck, OHKOing if it gets a crit, and can switch into EQ. Then mention that Machamp struggles to 2HKO it back, as Slam + Beam never KOs, and Submission + Beam is a range.

**Psychic-types and Psychic-type coverage**: Psychic-types like Abra and Drowzee can 2HKO it easily with Psychic, though they can't switch in against it. Other Pokemon with Psychic-type coverage, like Gastly, Porygon, and Magmar can similarly threaten it, though only the former has a chance to 2HKO Machamp.
As discussed on Discord, it's better to add threats like Gastly and Abra to the faster attackers section. Give Drowzee a special emphasis in the paralysis to compensate.

**Partial Trappers**: Due to Machamp's low Speed and middling Special bulk, partial trappers like Rapidash, Dragonair, and Magmar can whittle it down, though they can't easily switch in.
What partial trapping moves does Magmar get? It doesn't have Fire Spin iirc.

I'll wait till you implement this a Phoopes' before checking again for any QC Stamps

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Minor edits this time.

Machamp's solid bulk and powerful offenses makes it the premier check to Nidoqueen, avoiding a 3HKO from any of its attacks while 2HKOing back.
...with Earthquake.

such as Earthquake, Body Slam, Hyper Beam
Earthquake, Body Slam, AND Hyper Beam

exposing its weak defensive profile and crippling its wal breaking prowess.
wall-breaking

Submission is its primary STAB move, always 2HKOing Staryu and Graveler.
Graveler is always 2HKOed by Earthquake too, so maybe find a different target here. I feel like Staryu just wins most of the time too but I guess it's worth noting.

Rock Slide can serve as a midground option for Fearow and Fire-types.
I would add a disclaimer that other moves are usually better.

**Fearow**: Fearow is immune to Earthquake, cannot get paralyzed by Body Slam, and can outspeed and has a 98.2% chance to 2HKO Machamp with Drill Peck.
Fearow does outspeed, not can outspeed.

---

I think at this point the information is pretty good, just maybe some wording/flow things that idk how to help with really.
QC 1/2

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Couple notes for QC 2/2 (but we'll do 3 QCs cause I know Gangsta Spongebob had feedback too):
1. I don't think paralysis is that terrible for Machamp, mostly just exposes it to Drowzee and stops it from winning certain matchups with a lucky paraslam. The things you listed as "potentially outspeeding and beating it" already were faster than it.

2. Burn should definitely be mentioned in checks and counters, 30% of the time Fblast destroys its damage output completely.

3. I think it's really important to mention that Low Kick 2HKOes Porygon, there basically isn't another reason to use it.

4. Re: EQ vs Staryu/Grav, I would say Machamp usually wins actually, Surf barely 4HKOes and EQ outdamages Recover, and SlamBeam is always a KO as well so Staryu can't ever attack unless Machamp full paralyzes or it risks a KO. I think it's fine to mention Staryu but I would sooner note KOing Nidoqueen and Omanyte than Graveler

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
GP 1/1 GP Team done

Addition Removal Comment
(AC) (AH) Add Comma/Add Hyphen, (RC) (RH) Remove Comma/Remove Hyphen

:rb/machamp:
Always second-best
Machamp's solid bulk and powerful offenses makes it the premier check to Nidoqueen, avoiding a 3HKO from any of its attacks while 2HKOing back with Earthquake. Supplementing its sheer power is a Its multitude of offensive options, such as Earthquake, Body Slam, and Hyper Beam, making make it difficult for Fighting-resistant foes, (AC) -type resists like Gastly and Abra, (AC) to check it. Machamp's bulk allows it to reliably avoid 2HKOs from threats like Pinsir and Seaking, making it a good blanket check to most of PU. Lastly, Machamp's Speed, while poor, has some merit, outpacing defensive stalwarts like Omantye Omanyte, Porygon, and Graveler, allowing it to reliably check them.

However, Machamp suffers from its low Speed and offering next to nothing in poor defensive utility barring raw bulk; it requires a lot of paralysis support to be fully optimized while fearing paralysis itself, and it is vulnerable to being worn down quickly. A paralyzed Machamp becomes quite simple to revenge kill, exposing its weak defensive profile to slower attackers and crippling its wallbreaking prowess. Weaknesses to Fearow and common Psychic attacks from Flying- and Psychic-type attacks from Fearow, Abra, Drowzee, and Gastly don't help it much either, causing it to be forced out lest it suffers huge damage. Other physical attackers like Pinsir and Seaking also give it significant competition, offering higher Speed and additional utility as wallbreakers.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Submission / Low Kick
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Hyper Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Submission is its Machamp's primary STAB move, always 2HKOing Staryu and OHKOing Porygon at 81%. Low Kick is an alternative over to Submission that can flinch, is more accurate, (AC) and mixes well with paralysis support. It can also still 2HKO Porygon, though it lacks use otherwise. Earthquake targets Fighting-resistant Pokemon like Nidoqueen and Gastly, (AC) while also 2HKOing and 2HKOes Rapidash and Arcanine. Body Slam can potentially paralyze Psychic-types like Drowzee, Abra, and Slowpoke, potentially allowing it Machamp to win those matchups. Hyper Beam is its strongest attack, defeating Dragonair and Staryu when they are below 51.6% and 69.9%, (RC) respectively, (RC) while also and OHKOing Abra.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Staryu is an excellent partner for Machamp, helping to spread paralysis while being a solid and acting as a decent paralysis absorber on its own right itself. Other Pokemon like Porygon and Dragonair also offer good utility for spreading can help to spread paralysis. Omantye Omanyte and Graveler can both check Fearow, one of Machamp's worst matchups. In turn, Machamp can check Nidoqueen and threaten it back with Earthquake. Psychic-types, (AC) like Drowzee and Abra, (AC) can switch into opposing Psychic-types, preserving Machamp's usefulness as a tank. Barring the lead slot, Machamp can be used at any point in a game depending on the opponent's team, though it usually often functions best as a late-game attacker with paralysis support, threatening heavy damage with its raw power and wide coverage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Fire Blast can 2HKO Pinsir, 3HKO the uncommon Vileplume, and try to spread burns, though it lacks use otherwise. Rock Slide can serve as a midground option for Fearow and Fire-types, though its other coverage moves are usually more useful.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Paralysis**: Paralysis is the biggest obstacle to Machamp's wallbreaking, reducing whatever Speed it has left and exposes it to slower Pokemon like Drowzee. Staryu and Dragonair are some of the Pokemon that threaten to cripple it. Body Slam users like Omantye and opposing Machamp can threaten to do the same, albeit much less reliably.

**Fearow**: Fearow is immune to Earthquake, cannot get be paralyzed by Body Slam, outspeeds Machamp, and has a 98.2% chance to and outspeeds and 2HKOes Machamp with Drill Peck.

**Burns**: Burns neuter Machamp's offensive capabilities, making it nothing more than a status absorber. Pokemon sporting moves like Fire Blast, like Nidoqueen and Fire-types, like Rapidash and Arcanine, can threaten to burn it.

**Faster Attackers**: Once Machamp has been sufficiently weakened, faster attackers like Abra, Gastly, and Rapidash can revenge kill it without too much trouble.

**Partial Trappers**: Due to Machamp's low Speed and middling Special bulk, partial trappers like Rapidash and Dragonair can whittle it down, though they can't easily switch in.

**Paralysis**: Paralysis exposes Machamp to slower Pokemon like Drowzee and Omanyte. Staryu and Dragonair can easily hamstring it and then deal enough damage for a slower teammate to finish Machamp off. Body Slam users like Omanyte and opposing Machamp threaten to do the same, albeit much less reliably.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/5dots.543866/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/phoopes.96315/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/gangsta-spongebob.535530/
Grammar checked by:

Shrew_GP.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)