Ubers Lugia [GP 2/2]

I was hoping we could figure out a ev spread before giving this the third check as I feel like this is just bowworing from last gen. I'm a huge fan of outrunning Garchomp (palkia) but I'm not sure what other people use. Also, I really dislike the idea of having a completely Taunt bait Pokemon in a metagame that Taunt has become so popular in. I think the sub slash should probably be put with the other Status options as the point of Sub is to keep lugiass in for shuffling. (although no Toxic when shuffling also sucks a lot so idk) There also needs to be a stronger emphasis on having hazards for Lugiass as it really needs those to be threatening. (overall, I'm wondering if the shift of this analysis shouldn't be Lugiass as a wall but rather lugiass as a haazards abuser cause it got a lot btter at that seeing as people most use defog now and not rapid spin)

I was hoping we could figure out a ev spread before giving this the third check as I feel like this is just bowworing from last gen. I'm a huge fan of outrunning Garchomp (palkia) but I'm not sure what other people use. Also, I really dislike the idea of having a completely Taunt bait Pokemon in a metagame that Taunt has become so popular in. I think the sub slash should probably be put with the other Status options as the point of Sub is to keep lugiass in for shuffling. (although no Toxic when shuffling also sucks a lot so idk) There also needs to be a stronger emphasis on having hazards for Lugiass as it really needs those to be threatening. (overall, I'm wondering if the shift of this analysis shouldn't be Lugiass as a wall but rather lugiass as a haazards abuser cause it got a lot btter at that seeing as people most use defog now and not rapid spin)
To be fair, I did borrow this from last gen, but that's literally the only spread I've used, but outspeeding Garchomp and Palk sounds like a good idea and may be the alternative spread I've been looking for. Also, as a shuffler, Lugia should have a status condition to take advantage of, and losing his ability to shuffle is too great rather than being Taunt bait. In addition, Lugia's defenses combined with Multiscale screams wall imo, but I can see your deal with having hazards making Loogie more threatening, and it does, and I'll add more hazard users in Team Options. I can't irc at the time, primarily on weekends only if at all, but I can still update the analysis daily, but I'll get on with hazard emphasis.

Deo-D has terrible synergy with lugiass and Deo-s will die early on so the hazards will be tempory on a team using lugiass. Mention Keys, FOrry and ferro instead.

also, only mention defensive xern as a check to lugiass. Geoxern isn't setting up on it so it's dumb to coutn it as a check or counter.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great Walls sure are great and walls.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########

Returning to Ubers once again for the new generation (too much "once again"), Lugia must once again prove himself as the great (eh, maybe a different adjective?) wall he is capable of being. Speaking of walling, 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugia, and it is further backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting it naturally outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat that not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Along with reliable Reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure makes make Lugia an appealing package as one of the two Great Walls. However, there are Lugia has flaws that hold Lugia it back from doing its job as it should perfectly. Though its defenses are astounding, its defensive typing does not back it up at all, offering few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like Electric, Ice, and the new offensive powerhouses in Ghost and Dark, preventing it from walling as many threats that it could and can instead can be taken advantage of by them. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from using Multiscale when switching in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugia to function properly. Despite this, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

The Great Wall (it sounds way cooler like this okay)
########
name: The Great Wall
move 1: Roost
move 2: Toxic / Thunder Wave
move 3: Whirlwind / Dragon Tail
move 4: Aeroblast / Substitute
ability: Multiscale / Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold / Impish

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia does indeed have has the arsenal of moves in order it needs to do its job well. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if you are Lugia is above 1 / 2 HP 50% health, letting Lugia it take a number of hits that many other defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good amount number of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be used as an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or its Lugia's own checks / and counters, such as like Mega Gengar or and Yveltal, is a top priority, or if your team has a ton of enough Toxic users already, and it can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move on Lugia, letting it phase phaze out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon that are hiding behind a Substitute. But However, Dragon Tail is can be very annoying to the opposing team combine when combined with entry hazards and Toxic in terms of as it adds to the residual damage, but keep in mind that you Lugia cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types in exchange with it. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, and can let letting it defeat threats like such as Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). But On the other hand, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can outright wall anything that can't defeat it, but this comes at the cost of being complete and total utter Taunt bait from to faster threats like such as Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great deal of physical attackers such as Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken combined with help from the defensive buff from Multiscale. Coupled with a Timid Bold nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possible Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, a Jolly an Impish nature can be used if Dragon Tail is your Lugia's only attacking move in order to increase its damage. Lugia's two abilities, in Multiscale and Pressure, let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can let it hard check or hard counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can let you Lugia out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. However, a An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can let Lugia become an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia's overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, if Multiscale is the chosen ability, be very careful when switching in with Multiscale if Stealth Rock is present, but so try to keep Stealth Rock off of your side of the field as much as possible so that Multiscale is does not get broken and Lugia's walling tactics would abilities are not be foiled compromised. Also, be extremely careful for of possible Toxic users like such as Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when in on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as avoiding Toxics or crippling switch-ins or avoiding their own use of Toxic can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. To continue the topic of switching in, take Take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers like such as Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

As Lugia despises status, clerics can be used to alleviate this. The primary examples of this are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as not only can they cure Lugia of its status, but they can also deter Dark-types extremely well with their Fairy Aura Moonblast and Pixilate Hyper Voice respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problem to Lugia, so Defog users like such as Giratina and Arceus fit this criteria the best, as they can help Lugia wall stuff opponents with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus' other support moves. But However, a main an important part of Lugia's the pressure that Lugia puts on opposing teams is its shuffling ability when hazards are up, racking up residual damage. So, naturally Because of this, other hazard setters like such as Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Forretress or Stealth Rock users like such as Landorus-T and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, the things teammates that like being with walls like Lugia the most are the things ones that like having opposing walls weakened by Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, and appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred, while they can defeat the Steel-types Lugia has trouble with relatively easily. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage to on the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, like such as Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, and can defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and can also break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, can fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and can beat take down or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is an option to shield Lugia and its teammates from status for a short time, but it takes up a moveslot in which that Lugia can use for other utility, and a cleric can heal the entire team of status anyways. Earthquake can let Lugia take on some the Steel-types like that are immune to Toxic such as Dialga which are immune to Toxic, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar reliably, but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with a an Attack-decreasing nature if it is used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can be used in the same vein to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but the same problem as with Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired. Recover can be used over Roost to keep the Ground immunity, but Roost can let lets Lugia lose 3 out of its 5 weaknesses in Ice, Electric, and Rock, giving Roost more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team in removing hazards, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. But Unfortunately, Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage if used repeatedly, and both are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, losing causing Lugia to lose the precious option of Multiscale. Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale let it pick up at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. But, using Using Lugia as a dual Screens screens setter can prove very useful, as the Screens screens combined with Multiscale make Lugia ridiculously hard to defeat, and it can reliably set it them at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and use its naturally high Speed stat, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most walls first with a Sleep Talk Whirlwind while also curing status. But However, Lugia loses the ability to recover Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flip method of that Sleep Talk presents can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########
**Stealth Rock**: Lugia hates Stealth Rock like the plague, as it ruins its ability to check sweepers well with Multiscale, hindering its effectiveness greatly as long as it remains on the field.

**Status**: Toxic completely guts out destroys Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and it can kill it Lugia if it stays in for long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty much every other wall, making causing it to lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like burns, as it they also breaks break Multiscale, but not to the degree of Toxic.

**Ghost- and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive types give gives Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either cripple KO or kill cripple Lugia with their STAB moves or utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugia out in fear or being used using it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive variants like ones such as Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it back with Toxics of their own Toxic, or support their team with Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from even showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze out Gengar out with Whirlwind and or Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can kill potentially KO it with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia as its obscenely high Special Attack and the its ability of ignoring to ignore Multiscale can allows it to KO Lugia in one fell swoop of a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale, and it can severely compromise Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike, and cannot be paralyzed by packs an immunity to Thunder Wave. Also In addition, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Xerneas**: Defensive variants of Xerneas can outstall Lugia with Aromatherapy or RestTalk, but they can only hit back with Moonblast.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up and if Lugia switches into a Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in rain. However, it does not like Toxic at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, or else it gets out-stalled by Lugia can stall it out.

**Mega Mewtwo Y**: Mega Mewtwo Y can Taunt Lugia, and can survive three Aeroblasts afterwards, but it cannot touch it otherwise unless Multiscale is broken.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and they can heal off Lugia's incoming Toxics any Toxic from Lugia with Natural Cure, but they will lose one-on-one to Subsitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks after two Seismic Tosses.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Klefki, and Sableye can all cripple Lugia with status, and Thundurus-I and Sableye can use their Prankster Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one who out of those three that has reliable recovery out of the three.
Overview
########

Returning to Ubers for the new generation, Lugia must once again prove himself as the great wall he is. Speaking of walling, 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugia, and it is further backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting it naturally outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat that not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure make Lugia an appealing package as one of the two Great Walls. However, Lugia has flaws that hold it back from doing its job perfectly. Though its defenses are astounding, its typing does not back it up at all, offering few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like Electric, Ice, and the new offensive powerhouses Ghost and Dark, preventing it from walling as many threats that it could and can instead be taken advantage of by them. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from using Multiscale when switching in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugia to function properly. Despite this, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

The Great Wall
########

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia has the arsenal of moves it needs to do its job well. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if Lugia is above 50% health, letting it take a number of hits that many other defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good number of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be used as an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or Lugia's own checks and counters, such as Mega Gengar and Yveltal, is a top priority, or if your team has enough Toxic users already, and it can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move on Lugia, letting it phaze out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon that are hiding behind a Substitute. However, Dragon Tail can be very annoying to the opposing team when combined with entry hazards and Toxic as it adds to the residual damage, but keep in mind that Lugia cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types with it. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, letting it defeat threats such as Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). On the other hand, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can outright wall anything that can't defeat it, but this comes at the cost of being complete and utter Taunt bait to faster threats such as Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great deal of physical attackers such as Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken with help from the defensive buff from Multiscale. Coupled with a Bold nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possible Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, an Impish nature can be used if Dragon Tail is Lugia's only attacking move in order to increase its damage. Lugia's two abilities, Multiscale and Pressure, let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can let it hard check or counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can let Lugia out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can let Lugia become an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia's overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, if Multiscale is the chosen ability, be very careful when switching in if Stealth Rock is present, so try to keep Stealth Rock off of your side of the field as much as possible so that Multiscale does not get broken and Lugia's walling capabilities are not compromised. Also, be extremely careful of possible Toxic users such as Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as crippling switch-ins or avoiding their own use of Toxic can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. Take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers such as Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

As Lugia despises status, clerics can be used to alleviate this. The primary examples are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as not only can they cure Lugia of its status, but they can also deter Dark-types extremely well with their Fairy Aura Moonblast and Pixilate Hyper Voice respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problem to Lugia, so Defog users such as Giratina and Arceus fit this criteria the best, as they can help Lugia wall opponents with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus' other support moves. However, an important part of the pressure that Lugia puts on opposing teams is its shuffling abilities when hazards are up, racking up residual damage. Because of this, other hazard setters such as Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Forretress or Stealth Rock users such as Landorus-T and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, the teammates that like being with walls like Lugia the most are the ones that like having opposing walls weakened by Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, and appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred, while they can defeat the Steel-types Lugia has trouble with relatively easily. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage on the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, such as Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and take down or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is an option to shield Lugia and its teammates from status for a short time, but it takes up a moveslot that Lugia can use for other utility, and a cleric can heal the entire team of status anyways. Earthquake can let Lugia take on the Steel-types that are immune to Toxic such as Dialga, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar , but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with an Attack-decreasing nature if it is used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can be used in the same vein to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but the same problem as with Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired. Recover can be used over Roost to keep the Ground immunity, but Roost lets Lugia lose 3 out of its 5 weaknesses in Ice, Electric, and Rock, giving Roost more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team in removing hazards, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. Unfortunately, Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage if used repeatedly, and both are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, causing Lugia to lose the precious option of Multiscale. Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale let it pick up at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. Using Lugia as a dual screens setter can prove very useful, as the screens combined with Multiscale make Lugia ridiculously hard to defeat, and it can reliably set them at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and use its naturally high Speed stat, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most walls first with a Sleep Talk Whirlwind while also curing status. However, Lugia loses the ability to recover Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flip that Sleep Talk presents can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########
**Stealth Rock**: Lugia hates Stealth Rock like the plague, as it ruins its ability to check sweepers well with Multiscale, hindering its effectiveness greatly as long as it remains on the field.

**Status**: Toxic completely destroys Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and it can kill Lugia if it stays in for long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty much every other wall, causing it to lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like burns, as they also break Multiscale, but not to the degree of Toxic.

**Ghost- and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive types gives Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either KO or cripple Lugia with their STAB moves or utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugia out in fear or using it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive ones such as Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it with Toxic, or support their team with Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from even showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze Gengar out with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can potentially KO it with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia as its obscenely high Special Attack and its ability to ignore Multiscale allows it to KO Lugia in one fell swoop of a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale, can severely compromise Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike, and packs an immunity to Thunder Wave. In addition, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Xerneas**: Defensive variants of Xerneas can outstall Lugia with Aromatherapy or RestTalk, but they can only hit back with Moonblast.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up and if Lugia switches into a Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in rain. However, it does not like Toxic at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, or else Lugia can stall it out.

**Mega Mewtwo Y**: Mega Mewtwo Y can Taunt Lugia and can survive three Aeroblasts afterwards, but it cannot touch it otherwise unless Multiscale is broken.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and they can heal off any Toxic from Lugia with Natural Cure, but they will lose one-on-one to Subsitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks after two Seismic Tosses.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Klefki, and Sableye can all cripple Lugia with status, and Thundurus-I and Sableye can use their Prankster Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one out of those three that has reliable recovery.

GP approved 1/2

Last edited:
I guess I'm too late but the spread is horrible. 196 speed isn't even hitting anything relevant, it's 192 speed that allows you to outspeed Palkia. However, I think using speed is going the wrong route with Lugia this generation. I'd just propose a Bold 252 Def spread to be honest. This gives you room to handle Blaze (esp with aero), Ekiller, Groudon, MMX among other much better, and be less multiscale reliant. Ho-oh is also semi-checked better by a Bold Lugia, and it should be intuitive why this is important (hint: you are removing your own rocks if you are defoging, and Lugia needs that support, so it makes opposing Ho-oh dangerous). If you are using Lugia you obviously want Defog support but it's not always possible to make room for getting that Defog off against offensive teams. The speed is helpful against Palkia but in all honestly Palkia is much easier to check that it used to be, Sylveon is a great partner for reference.

conclusion: because of new physical threats that are strong there is not really need or room to make lugia a mixed wall with the old great wall spread. a fast spread loses to physical overloading easier, and speed only allows you to check a few select special threats better (who has gotten easier to check regardless).

I guess I'm too late but the spread is horrible. 196 speed isn't even hitting anything relevant, it's 192 speed that allows you to outspeed Palkia. However, I think using speed is going the wrong route with Lugia this generation. I'd just propose a Bold 252 Def spread to be honest. This gives you room to handle Blaze (esp with aero), Ekiller, Groudon, MMX among other much better, and be less multiscale reliant. Ho-oh is also semi-checked better by a Bold Lugia, and it should be intuitive why this is important (hint: you are removing your own rocks if you are defoging, and Lugia needs that support, so it makes opposing Ho-oh dangerous). If you are using Lugia you obviously want Defog support but it's not always possible to make room for getting that Defog off against offensive teams. The speed is helpful against Palkia but in all honestly Palkia is much easier to check that it used to be, Sylveon is a great partner for reference.

conclusion: because of new physical threats that are strong there is not really need or room to make lugia a mixed wall with the old great wall spread. a fast spread loses to physical overloading easier, and speed only allows you to check a few select special threats better (who has gotten easier to check regardless).
Alright. I do think dealing with physical threats better is more of a better encompassment than dealing with Palk.

Great Walls sure are great and walls.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########

Returning to Ubers once again for the new generation (too much "once again"), Lugia must once again prove himself as the great (eh, maybe a different adjective?) wall he is capable of being. Speaking of walling, 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugia, and it is further backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting it naturally outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat that not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Along with reliable Reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure makes make Lugia an appealing package as one of the two Great Walls. However, there are Lugia has flaws that hold Lugia it back from doing its job as it should perfectly. Though its defenses are astounding, its defensive typing does not back it up at all, offering few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like Electric, Ice, and the new offensive powerhouses in Ghost and Dark, preventing it from walling as many threats that it could and can instead can be taken advantage of by them. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from using Multiscale when switching in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugia to function properly. Despite this, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

The Great Wall (it sounds way cooler like this okay)
########

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia does indeed have has the arsenal of moves in order it needs to do its job well. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if you are Lugia is above 1 / 2 HP 50% health, letting Lugia it take a number of hits that many other defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good amount number of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be used as an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or its Lugia's own checks / and counters, such as like Mega Gengar or and Yveltal, is a top priority, or if your team has a ton of enough Toxic users already, and it can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move on Lugia, letting it phase phaze out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon that are hiding behind a Substitute. But However, Dragon Tail is can be very annoying to the opposing team combine when combined with entry hazards and Toxic in terms of as it adds to the residual damage, but keep in mind that you Lugia cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types in exchange with it. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, and can let letting it defeat threats like such as Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). But On the other hand, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can outright wall anything that can't defeat it, but this comes at the cost of being complete and total utter Taunt bait from to faster threats like such as Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great deal of physical attackers such as Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken combined with help from the defensive buff from Multiscale. Coupled with a Timid Bold nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possible Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, a Jolly an Impish nature can be used if Dragon Tail is your Lugia's only attacking move in order to increase its damage. Lugia's two abilities, in Multiscale and Pressure, let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can let it hard check or hard counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can let you Lugia out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. However, a An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can let Lugia become an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia's overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, if Multiscale is the chosen ability, be very careful when switching in with Multiscale if Stealth Rock is present, but so try to keep Stealth Rock off of your side of the field as much as possible so that Multiscale is does not get broken and Lugia's walling tactics would abilities are not be foiled compromised. Also, be extremely careful for of possible Toxic users like such as Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when in on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as avoiding Toxics or crippling switch-ins or avoiding their own use of Toxic can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. To continue the topic of switching in, take Take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers like such as Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

As Lugia despises status, clerics can be used to alleviate this. The primary examples of this are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as not only can they cure Lugia of its status, but they can also deter Dark-types extremely well with their Fairy Aura Moonblast and Pixilate Hyper Voice respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problem to Lugia, so Defog users like such as Giratina and Arceus fit this criteria the best, as they can help Lugia wall stuff opponents with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus' other support moves. But However, a main an important part of Lugia's the pressure that Lugia puts on opposing teams is its shuffling ability when hazards are up, racking up residual damage. So, naturally Because of this, other hazard setters like such as Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Forretress or Stealth Rock users like such as Landorus-T and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, the things teammates that like being with walls like Lugia the most are the things ones that like having opposing walls weakened by Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, and appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred, while they can defeat the Steel-types Lugia has trouble with relatively easily. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage to on the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, like such as Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, and can defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and can also break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, can fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and can beat take down or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is an option to shield Lugia and its teammates from status for a short time, but it takes up a moveslot in which that Lugia can use for other utility, and a cleric can heal the entire team of status anyways. Earthquake can let Lugia take on some the Steel-types like that are immune to Toxic such as Dialga which are immune to Toxic, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar reliably, but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with a an Attack-decreasing nature if it is used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can be used in the same vein to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but the same problem as with Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired. Recover can be used over Roost to keep the Ground immunity, but Roost can let lets Lugia lose 3 out of its 5 weaknesses in Ice, Electric, and Rock, giving Roost more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team in removing hazards, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. But Unfortunately, Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage if used repeatedly, and both are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, losing causing Lugia to lose the precious option of Multiscale. Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale let it pick up at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. But, using Using Lugia as a dual Screens screens setter can prove very useful, as the Screens screens combined with Multiscale make Lugia ridiculously hard to defeat, and it can reliably set it them at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and use its naturally high Speed stat, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most walls first with a Sleep Talk Whirlwind while also curing status. But However, Lugia loses the ability to recover Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flip method of that Sleep Talk presents can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########

**Status**: Toxic completely guts out destroys Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and it can kill it Lugia if it stays in for long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty much every other wall, making causing it to lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like burns, as it they also breaks break Multiscale, but not to the degree of Toxic.

**Ghost- and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive types give gives Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either cripple KO or kill cripple Lugia with their STAB moves or utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugia out in fear or being used using it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive variants like ones such as Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it back with Toxics of their own Toxic, or support their team with Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from even showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze out Gengar out with Whirlwind and or Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can kill potentially KO it with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia as its obscenely high Special Attack and the its ability of ignoring to ignore Multiscale can allows it to KO Lugia in one fell swoop of a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale, and it can severely compromise Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike, and cannot be paralyzed by packs an immunity to Thunder Wave. Also In addition, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up and if Lugia switches into a Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in rain. However, it does not like Toxic at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, or else it gets out-stalled by Lugia can stall it out.

**Mega Mewtwo Y**: Mega Mewtwo Y can Taunt Lugia, and can survive three Aeroblasts afterwards, but it cannot touch it otherwise unless Multiscale is broken.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and they can heal off Lugia's incoming Toxics any Toxic from Lugia with Natural Cure, but they will lose one-on-one to Subsitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks after two Seismic Tosses.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Klefki, and Sableye can all cripple Lugia with status, and Thundurus-I and Sableye can use their Prankster Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one who out of those three that has reliable recovery out of the three.
Overview
########

Returning to Ubers for the new generation, Lugia must once again prove himself as the great wall he is. Speaking of walling, 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugia, and it is further backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting it naturally outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat that not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure make Lugia an appealing package as one of the two Great Walls. However, Lugia has flaws that hold it back from doing its job perfectly. Though its defenses are astounding, its typing does not back it up at all, offering few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like Electric, Ice, and the new offensive powerhouses Ghost and Dark, preventing it from walling as many threats that it could and can instead be taken advantage of by them. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from using Multiscale when switching in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugia to function properly. Despite this, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

The Great Wall
########

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia has the arsenal of moves it needs to do its job well. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if Lugia is above 50% health, letting it take a number of hits that many other defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good number of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be used as an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or Lugia's own checks and counters, such as Mega Gengar and Yveltal, is a top priority, or if your team has enough Toxic users already, and it can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move on Lugia, letting it phaze out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon that are hiding behind a Substitute. However, Dragon Tail can be very annoying to the opposing team when combined with entry hazards and Toxic as it adds to the residual damage, but keep in mind that Lugia cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types with it. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, letting it defeat threats such as Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). On the other hand, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can outright wall anything that can't defeat it, but this comes at the cost of being complete and utter Taunt bait to faster threats such as Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great deal of physical attackers such as Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken with help from the defensive buff from Multiscale. Coupled with a Bold nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possible Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, an Impish nature can be used if Dragon Tail is Lugia's only attacking move in order to increase its damage. Lugia's two abilities, Multiscale and Pressure, let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can let it hard check or counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can let Lugia out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can let Lugia become an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia's overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, if Multiscale is the chosen ability, be very careful when switching in if Stealth Rock is present, so try to keep Stealth Rock off of your side of the field as much as possible so that Multiscale does not get broken and Lugia's walling capabilities are not compromised. Also, be extremely careful of possible Toxic users such as Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as crippling switch-ins or avoiding their own use of Toxic can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. Take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers such as Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

As Lugia despises status, clerics can be used to alleviate this. The primary examples are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as not only can they cure Lugia of its status, but they can also deter Dark-types extremely well with their Fairy Aura Moonblast and Pixilate Hyper Voice respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problem to Lugia, so Defog users such as Giratina and Arceus fit this criteria the best, as they can help Lugia wall opponents with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus' other support moves. However, an important part of the pressure that Lugia puts on opposing teams is its shuffling abilities when hazards are up, racking up residual damage. Because of this, other hazard setters such as Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Forretress or Stealth Rock users such as Landorus-T and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, the teammates that like being with walls like Lugia the most are the ones that like having opposing walls weakened by Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, and appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred, while they can defeat the Steel-types Lugia has trouble with relatively easily. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage on the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, such as Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and take down or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is an option to shield Lugia and its teammates from status for a short time, but it takes up a moveslot that Lugia can use for other utility, and a cleric can heal the entire team of status anyways. Earthquake can let Lugia take on the Steel-types that are immune to Toxic such as Dialga, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar , but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with an Attack-decreasing nature if it is used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can be used in the same vein to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but the same problem as with Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired. Recover can be used over Roost to keep the Ground immunity, but Roost lets Lugia lose 3 out of its 5 weaknesses in Ice, Electric, and Rock, giving Roost more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team in removing hazards, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. Unfortunately, Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage if used repeatedly, and both are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, causing Lugia to lose the precious option of Multiscale. Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale let it pick up at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. Using Lugia as a dual screens setter can prove very useful, as the screens combined with Multiscale make Lugia ridiculously hard to defeat, and it can reliably set them at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and use its naturally high Speed stat, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most walls first with a Sleep Talk Whirlwind while also curing status. However, Lugia loses the ability to recover Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flip that Sleep Talk presents can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########

**Status**: Toxic completely destroys Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and it can kill Lugia if it stays in for long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty much every other wall, causing it to lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like burns, as they also break Multiscale, but not to the degree of Toxic.

**Ghost- and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive types gives Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either KO or cripple Lugia with their STAB moves or utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugia out in fear or using it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive ones such as Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it with Toxic, or support their team with Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from even showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze Gengar out with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can potentially KO it with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia as its obscenely high Special Attack and its ability to ignore Multiscale allows it to KO Lugia in one fell swoop of a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale, can severely compromise Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike, and packs an immunity to Thunder Wave. In addition, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up and if Lugia switches into a Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in rain. However, it does not like Toxic at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, or else Lugia can stall it out.

**Mega Mewtwo Y**: Mega Mewtwo Y can Taunt Lugia and can survive three Aeroblasts afterwards, but it cannot touch it otherwise unless Multiscale is broken.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and they can heal off any Toxic from Lugia with Natural Cure, but they will lose one-on-one to Subsitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks after two Seismic Tosses.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Klefki, and Sableye can all cripple Lugia with status, and Thundurus-I and Sableye can use their Prankster Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one out of those three that has reliable recovery.

GP approved 1/2
Changes made. Thank god for copypaste.

Additions
Removals
Comments

This is an amateur check.

This is the edited version.
Returning to Ubers once again in the sixth generation, Lugia must once again prove himself as one of the two Great Walls the wall he is capable of being. Speaking of walling,Possessing 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugia, and backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting it naturally outspeed and Lugia can naturally outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Along With reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure, makes Lugia seems to be an appealing defensive package as one of the two Great Walls. However, there are flaws that hold Lugia back from doing its job as it should. Though its defenses are astounding, its defensive typing does not back it up at all, offering few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like such as Electric- and Ice-Types, and new offensive powerhouses in Ghost- and Dark-Types such as?, preventing it from walling as many threats that as it could and instead can be taken advantage of by them. Also Additionally, its weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from using Multiscale when switching in,it switches in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugia to function properly. Despite this these flaws, Lugia still stands firmly as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you one do not carry a solid answer to it.

Great Wall

########

name: Great Wall

evs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Spe

nature: Timid / Jolly

Moves

========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia does indeed have the arsenal of moves in order it needs to do its job. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if you are above 1 / 2 HP, letting Lugia take a number of hits that many defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good amount of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However,Thunder Wave can be an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or its own checks / counters like Mega Gengar or Yveltal is a top priority or if your team has a ton of enough Toxic users already, and can turn turning Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move on Lugia, letting it phase phaze out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon behind Substitute. But,Dragon Tail is can be very annoying to the opposing team combine when combined with entry hazards and Toxic in terms of residual damage, but keep in mind that you cannot lose the ability to phaze Substitute users or and Fairy-types in exchange. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, and can let it letting it defeat threats like Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). But,Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can outright wall anything that can't defeat it, but at the cost of being complete and total makes Lugia total Taunt bait from for faster threats like Mega Gengar or and Thundurus-I.

Set Details

========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can outspeed all base 101 Speed Pokemon and below, letting it outstall threats like Palkia and Garchomp with Roost. Coupled with a Timid nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possible Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, a Jolly nature can be used if Dragon Tail is your only attacking move to increase its damage to increase Dragon Tail’s damage output, if you so choose. Lugia's two abilities in Multiscale and Pressure let it allow it to do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can let it hard check or hard counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can let you out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. However, an EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can let Lugia become makes Lugia an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia's overall bulk.

Usage Tips

========

First and foremost, if using Multiscale, be very careful when switching in with Multiscale if Stealth Rock is present, since Stealth Rock will break it. , but try to To avoid breaking Multiscale, keeping Stealth Rock off your side of the field as much as possible is an absolute must. so Multiscale is not broken and Lugia's walling tactics would not be foiled. Also, be extremely careful for beware of possible common Toxic users like Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However,When in on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as avoiding Toxics or and crippling switch-ins can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. To continue the topic of switching in, It is also crucial to take advantage of predicted switches switch-ins to come in on possible setup sweepers like Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas with Geomancy or Calm Mind or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keeping your team safe and maintaining your offensive or and defensive momentum.

Team Options

========

As Since Lugia despises status, clerics can be used to alleviate this are great team members for Lugia. The primary examples of this are These can include Aromatherapy Xerneas with Aromatherapy and Sylveon, as not only can they cure Lugia of its status, but they can also deter the Dark-types that threaten Lugia’s usefulness extremely well with Fairy Aura-boosted Moonblast and Pixilated Hyper Voice, respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problems to for Lugia, so Defog users like Giratina and Arceus fit this criteria the best, as they can help Lugia wall stuff with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus' support moves provide great support with clearing hazards and support moves like Will O Wisp. But, A main part of Lugia's pressure on teams is shuffling hazards, racking up damage on Pokemon by shuffling with Whirlwind, so naturally other hazard setters like Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Forretress, or Stealth Rock users like Landorus-T and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, the things that like being with walls the most are the things that like having walls weakened by Toxic. Set-up sweepers such as Swords Dance Rayquaza with Swords Dance and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, and as they appreciate having opposing walls weakened with Toxic and offensive threats deterred, while they and can easily defeat the Steel-types Lugia has trouble with relatively easily. Groudon can also assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage to the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types that Lugia hates by itself, like Darkrai, Tyranitar and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, and can defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and can also break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, can fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and can beat or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options

########

Safeguard is an option to shield Lugia and its teammates from status for a short time, but it takes up a moveslot in which Lugia can use for other utility; and a cleric Pokemon can heal the entire team of status anyways. Earthquake can let Lugia take on some Steel-types like Dialga which are immune to Toxic, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar reliably, but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with a an Attack-decreasing nature if it is used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can be used in the same vein vain? to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but the same problem with Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired its poor accuracy is not desirable. Recover can be used over Roost to keep the Ground immunity, but Roost can lets Lugia lose 3 out of its 5 weaknesses in Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-types, giving Roost more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team in removing hazards, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. but Lugia's its Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog it well. Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar, but does less damage if used repeatedly. Additionally, both are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, losing the precious option of Multiscale. Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale let it pick up at least one boost without trouble; however, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. But, Using Lugia as a for dual Screens screens setter can prove very useful, as the Screens screens combined with Multiscale make Lugia ridiculously hard to defeat, and not to mention that it can reliably set it at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and use its naturally high Speed stat, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most walls first with Sleep Talk Whirlwind while curing status. But, Unfortunately, Lugia loses the ability to recover Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flip method of Sleep Talk can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters

########

**Status**: Toxic completely guts out Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and can kill it if it stays in long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty much every wall, making it lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like burns, as it also breaks Multiscale, but not to the degree of Toxic.

**Ghost and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive types give Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either cripple or kill Lugia with their STAB moves or utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugia out in fear or being used as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive variants like Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it back with Toxics of their own, or support their team with Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze out Gengar with Whirlwind and Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and or can kill with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia as its obscenely high Special Attack and the ability of ignoring Multiscale can KO Lugia in one fell swoop of with a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale, and can severely compromise Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike; and Zekrom also cannot be paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Also, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Xerneas**: Defensive variants of Xerneas can outstall Lugia with Aromatherapy or RestTalk, but can only hit back with Moonblast.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up and if Lugia switches into a Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in rain. However, it does not like Toxic at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, else it gets out-stalled by Lugia.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and can heal off Lugia's incoming Toxics with Natural Cure, but lose one-on-one to Subsitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks after two Seismic Tosses.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Klefki, and Sableye can all cripple Lugia with status, and Thundurus-I and Sableye can use Prankster Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one who has reliable recovery out of the three.

This is the original.
Overview
########

Returning to Ubers once again, Lugia must once again prove himself as the wall he is capable of being. Speaking of walling, 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugia, backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting it naturally outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Along with reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure makes Lugia an appealing package as one of the two Great Walls. However, there are flaws that hold Lugia back from doing its job as it should. Though its defenses are astounding, its defensive typing does not back it up at all, offering few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like Electric, Ice, and new offensive powerhouses in Ghost and Dark, preventing it from walling as many threats that it could and instead can be taken advantage of by them. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from using Multiscale when switching in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugia to function properly. Despite this, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

Great Wall
########
name: Great Wall

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia does indeed have the arsenal of moves in order to do its job. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if you are above 1 / 2 HP, letting Lugia take a number of hits that many defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good amount of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or its own checks / counters like Mega Gengar or Yveltal is a top priority or if your team has a ton of Toxic users already, and can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move on Lugia, letting it phase out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon behind Substitute. But, Dragon Tail is very annoying to the opposing team combine with entry hazards and Toxic in terms of residual damage, but keep in mind that you cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types in exchange. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, and can let it defeat threats like Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). But, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can outright wall anything that can't defeat it, but at the cost of being complete and total Taunt bait from faster threats like Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great deal of physical attackers such as Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken combined with Multiscale. Coupled with a Timid nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possible Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, a Jolly nature can be used if Dragon Tail is your only attacking move to increase its damage. Lugia's two abilities in Multiscale and Pressure let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can let it hard check or hard counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can let you out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. However, a EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can let Lugia become an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia's overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, be very careful when switching in with Multiscale if Stealth Rock is present, but try to keep Stealth Rock off your side of the field as much as possible so Multiscale is not broken and Lugia's walling tactics would not be foiled. Also, be extremely careful for possible Toxic users like Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when in the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as avoiding Toxics or crippling switch-ins can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. To continue the topic of switching in, take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers like Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

As Lugia despises status, clerics can be used to alleviate this. The primary examples of this are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as not only can they cure Lugia of its status, but they can also deter Dark-types extremely well with Fairy Aura Moonblast and Pixilate Hyper Voice respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problem to Lugia, so Defog users like Giratina and Arceus fit this criteria the best, as they can help Lugia wall stuff with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus' support moves. But, a main part of Lugia's pressure on teams is shuffling hazards, racking up damage. So, naturally other hazard setters like Ferrothorn, Klefki and Forretress or Stealth Rock users like Landorus-T and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, the things that like being with walls the most are the things that like having walls weakened by Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, and appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred, while they can defeat the Steel-types Lugia has trouble with relatively easily. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage to the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, like Darkrai, Tyranitar and Dark Arceus, while checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, and can defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and can also break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, can fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and can beat or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is an option to shield Lugia and its teammates from status for a short time, but it takes up a moveslot in which Lugia can use for other utility, and a cleric can heal the entire team of status anyways. Earthquake can let Lugia take on some Steel-types like Dialga which are immune to Toxic, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar reliably, but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with a Attack-decreasing nature if it is used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can be used in the same vein to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but the same problem with Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired. Recover can be used over Roost to keep the Ground immunity, but Roost can let Lugia lose 3 out of its 5 weaknesses in Ice, Electric, and Rock, giving Roost more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team in removing hazards, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. But Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage if used repeatedly, and both are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, losing the precious option of Multiscale. Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale let it pick up at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. But, using Lugia as a dual Screens setter can prove very useful, as the Screens combined with Multiscale make Lugia ridiculously hard to defeat, and it can reliably set it at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and use its naturally high Speed stat, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most walls first with Sleep Talk Whirlwind while curing status. But, Lugia loses the ability to recover Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flip method of Sleep Talk can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########

**Status**: Toxic completely guts out Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and can kill it if it stays in long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty much every wall, making it lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like burns, as it also breaks Multiscale, but not to the degree of Toxic.

**Ghost and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive types give Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either cripple or kill Lugia with their STAB moves or utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugia out in fear or being used as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive variants like Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it back with Toxics of their own, or support their team with Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze out Gengar with Whirlwind and Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can kill with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia as its obscenely high Special Attack and the ability of ignoring Multiscale can KO Lugia in one fell swoop of a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale, and can severely compromise Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike, and cannot be paralyzed by Thunder Wave. Also, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Xerneas**: Defensive variants of Xerneas can outstall Lugia with Aromatherapy or RestTalk, but can only hit back with Moonblast.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up and if Lugia switches into a Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in rain. However, it does not like Toxic at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, else it gets out-stalled by Lugia.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and can heal off Lugia's incoming Toxics with Natural Cure, but lose one-on-one to Subsitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks after two Seismic Tosses.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Klefki, and Sableye can all cripple Lugia with status, and Thundurus-I and Sableye can use Prankster Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one who has reliable recovery out of the three.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
aidbail45 I think you based your amcheck off the analysis before it was updated with the first GP check. It's an excellent check, but it's sadly outdated. :/

Nice work, canman98!
Overview
########

Returning to Ubers for the new generation, Lugia must once again prove itself as deserving of the title "Great Wall". Lugia possesses excellent 106 / 130 / 154 base defensive stats, and its rare base 110 Speed allows it to outspeed practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, something not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities in Multiscale and Pressure make Lugia an appealing package. However, Lugia has flaws that hold it back from doing its job perfectly. Its typing offers few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses, such as to Electric- and Ice-type moves, and renders it vulnerable to Dark- and Ghost-type offensive powerhouses. Also, Stealth Rock strips away a quarter of Lugia's HP and deactivates Multiscale when it switches in, making a good amount of team support required for it to function properly. Despite these drawbacks, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

The Great Wall
########

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia has the arsenal of moves it needs to do its job well. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if Lugia is above 50% health, allowing it to take a number of hits that many other defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good number of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be used as an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or Lugia's own checks and counters, such as Mega Gengar and Yveltal, is a top priority. If your team has enough Toxic users already, Thunder Wave can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind lets Lugia phaze out most sweepers foolish enough to set up in front of it, including those hiding behind a Substitute. However, Dragon Tail can be very annoying to the opposing team when combined with entry hazards and Toxic, as it adds to the residual damage, but keep in mind that Lugia cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types with it. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, letting it defeat threats such as Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). On the other hand, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics and can allow it to outright wall anything that can't break it, but this comes at the cost of being complete and utter Taunt bait to faster threats such as Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great number of physical attackers, such as Groudon, Extreme Killer, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken with help of the defensive buff from Multiscale. Coupled with a Bold nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from Yveltals's Foul Play. However, an Impish nature can be used if Dragon Tail is Lugia's only attacking move in order, to avoid decreasing its damage output. Lugia's two abilities, Multiscale and Pressure, let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale lets it hard check or counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure allows Lugia to outstall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD makes Lugia an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of its overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, if Multiscale is the chosen ability, be very careful when switching into Stealth Rock. Try to keep Stealth Rock off of your side of the field so that Multiscale and by extension, Lugia's walling capabilities, remain intact. Also, be extremely careful of possible Toxic users such as Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as crippling switch-ins or warding against status conditions can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. Take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers such as boosting variants of Xerneas or Extreme Killer, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

Clerics are beneficial teammates as they can alleviate the status conditions that Lugia despises. The primary examples are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as they can remove Lugia's status conditions and deter Dark-types from switching in with a Fairy Aura-boosted Moonblast and Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice, respectively. Stealth Rock presents a large problem to Lugia, so it appreciates teammates such as Giratina and Arceus formes that can provide Defog support, burn opposing Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp, and utilize other support moves. Hazards are integral to Lugia's ability to pressure the opponent with phazing moves, so hazard setters such as Ferrothorn, Klefki, Forretress, Landorus-T, and Dialga pair nicely with it. Natural teammates for Lugia are Pokemon that benefit from it crippling opposing walls with Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia as they appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred. Furthermore, they can defeat the Steel-types that trouble Lugia with relatively ease. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up Stealth Rock. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, including Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and take down or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is a move Lugia can run to shield itself and its teammates from status for a short time. However, it takes up a moveslot that Lugia could otherwise reserve for another utility move, and a cleric can heal the entire team's status conditions. Earthquake allows Lugia to damage Steel-types immune to Toxic such as Dialga, and hurt Blaziken and Mega Gengar. However, Lugia's base 90 Attack and Attack-decreasing nature (used with Aeroblast) prevents the move from being used effectively. In the same vein, Stone Edge can be used to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but it has poor accuracy and suffers from the same problem that Earthquake does. Recover can be used over Roost to keep Lugia's Ground immunity, but Roost mitigates its weaknesses to Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type moves, giving it more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team by removing all the entry hazards in play, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. Unfortunately, Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage when used in succession, and both moves are only legal with the ability Pressure.

Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale allow it to accrue at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and it faces extreme competition from Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. Lugia can set up dual screens at nearly any point in the match, and the screens combined with Multiscale make it ridiculously hard to defeat. Lastly, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set to replenish HP and remove status conditions. Furthermore, as phazing moves lose their negative priority when chosen by Sleep Talk, Lugia can utilize its naturally high Speed stat to quickly phaze out most walls. However, Lugia loses the ability to reliably reactive Multiscale with Roost, and the luck factor that Sleep Talk introduces can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock hinders Lugia's ability to check sweepers by removing a chunk of its health and deactivating Multiscale.

**Status Conditions**: Toxic completely ruins Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and can KO Lugia if it stays in for too long. Paralysis makes Lugia slower than practically every other wall, causing it to lose an effective niche. Burns break Multiscale as well, though Toxic is more detrimental to Lugia.

**Ghost- and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of Ghost- and Dark-type threats gives Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either damage Lugia with their STAB moves or cripple it with their utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing it out or using it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive Steel-types such as Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can hard wall Lugia, cripple it with Toxic, and support their team with moves such as Wish or Stealth Rock.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from even showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze Gengar out with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail, cripple it with Thunder Wave, and/or potentially KO it with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: With Turboblaze and its obscenely high Special Attack, Kyurem-W can KO Lugia in one fell swoop with a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom ignores Multiscale with Teravolt, can smash Lugia with Bolt Strike, and packs an immunity to Thunder Wave. In addition, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Kyogre**: If Stealth Rock is up, Kyogre can defeat Lugia by hitting it with a rain- and Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout as it switches in. However, Kyogre dislikes Toxic, as the residual damage weakens the power of Water Spout.

**Mega Mewtwo Y**: Mega Mewtwo Y can Taunt Lugia and can survive three Aeroblasts afterwards, but cannot touch it unless Multiscale is broken.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia and heal off status conditions with Natural Cure. However, they will lose one-on-one to Substitute Lugia, as it takes two Seismic Tosses to break Lugia's Substitute.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, Sableye, and Klefki can all cripple Lugia with status moves, and the former two can utilize Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can outstall Lugia as it is the only one out of the three with reliable recovery.

Overview
########

Returning to Ubers for the new generation, Lugia must once again prove himitself as deserving of the gtitle "Great wWall he is. Speaking of walling,". Lugia possesses excellent 106 / 130 / 154 bulk is absolutely perfect for a defensive Pokemon like Lugiastats, and it is further backed up by a rare base 110 Speed, letting allows it naturallyto outspeed and cripple practically every relevant wall other than Arceus, a feat thatsomething not many defensive Pokemon can boast. Reliable recovery in Roost and two amazing abilities to choose from in Multiscale and Pressure make Lugia an appealing package as one of the two Great Walls. However, Lugia has flaws that hold it back from doing its job perfectly. Though its defenses are astounding, iIts typing does not back it up at all, offerings few useful resistances and multiple weaknesses to types like, such as to Electric, Ice,- and the new offensive powerhouses GhostIce-type moves, and Dark, preventingnders it from walling as many threats that it could and can instead be taken advantage of by themvulnerable to Dark- and Ghost-type offensive powerhouses. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock striprevents it from usingaway a quarter of Lugia's HP and deactivates Multiscale when it switchinges in, making a good amount of team support required in order for Lugiait to function properly. Despite thiese drawbacks, Lugia still stands firm as one of the best walls in Ubers, and shouldn't be taken lightly if you do not carry a solid answer to it.

The Great Wall
########

Moves
========

As one of the two Great Walls in Ubers, Lugia has the arsenal of moves it needs to do its job well. Roost can reactivate Multiscale if Lugia is above 50% health, lettallowing it to take a number of hits that many other defensive Pokemon would gawk at. Combined with the ability to cripple opposing walls with Toxic, Lugia can stall out a good number of attackers or render most walls dead weight. However, Thunder Wave can be used as an alternative to Toxic if stopping opposing offensive Pokemon or Lugia's own checks and counters, such as Mega Gengar and Yveltal, is a top priority, or i. If your team has enough Toxic users already, and itThunder Wave can turn Lugia into an effective parashuffler. Whirlwind is a very well-known move onlets Lugia, letting it phaze out most sweepers that would be foolish enough to set up in front of it, including Pokemon that arose hiding behind a Substitute. However, Dragon Tail can be very annoying to the opposing team when combined with entry hazards and Toxic, as it adds to the residual damage, but keep in mind that Lugia cannot phaze Substitute users or Fairy-types with it. Aeroblast is Lugia's STAB move of choice, letting it defeat threats such as Mega Blaziken (2HKO), Mega Mewtwo X (2HKO), and even Mega Gengar (31.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). On the other hand, Substitute can shield Lugia from stray Toxics, and can allow it to outright wall anything that can't defeatbreak it, but this comes at the cost of being complete and utter Taunt bait to faster threats such as Mega Gengar or Thundurus-I.

Set Details
========

With the above EV spread, Lugia can take on a great dealnumber of physical attackers, such as Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Blaziken with help ofrom the defensive buff from Multiscale. Coupled with a Bold nature, Lugia can do decent damage with Aeroblast while taking less damage from possibleYveltals's Foul Plays from Yveltal. However, an Impish nature can be used if Dragon Tail is Lugia's only attacking move in order, to inavoid decreaseing its damage output. Lugia's two abilities, Multiscale and Pressure, let it do two different things when it comes to walling: Multiscale can lets it hard check or counter most sweepers by preventing them from doing considerable damage to it, while Pressure can letallows Lugia to out-stall most walls in conjunction with Substitute, Toxic, and Roost. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD can letmakes Lugia become an effective mixed wall. Despite the specific EV spreads, Lugia's defenses are really flexible when it comes to investment, so you can invest in different stats depending on your team's needs without compromising too much of Lugia'its overall bulk.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, if Multiscale is the chosen ability, be very careful when switching in ifto Stealth Rock is present, so t. Try to keep Stealth Rock off of your side of the field as much as possible so that Multiscale does not get broken andand by extension, Lugia's walling capabilities, are not compromisedmain intact. Also, be extremely careful of possible Toxic users such as Landorus-T, Groudon, and Yveltal, as Lugia absolutely hates status ailments of any kind, so switch into these threats at your own peril. However, when on the field, be very generous when using Toxic or Substitute, as crippling switch-ins or avoiwarding their own use of Toxicagainst status conditions can be very beneficial to Lugia's overall effectiveness and longevity. Take advantage of predicted switches to come in on possible setup sweepers such as Geomancy or Calm Mindboosting variants of Xerneas or Extreme Killer Arceus, as forcing them into a corner with Whirlwind can keep your team safe and maintain your offensive or defensive momentum.

Team Options
========

As Lugia despises stClerics are beneficial teammatus, clerics can be used tohey can alleviate the status conditions that Lugia despises. The primary examples are Aromatherapy Xerneas and Sylveon, as not onlthey can they curemove Lugia of it's status, but they can also conditions and deter Dark-types extremely well from switching in witheir a Fairy Aura-boosted Moonblast and Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice, respectively. Stealth Rock also presents a large problem to Lugia, so Defog userit appreciates teammates such as Giratina and Arceus fitormes this criteria the besat can provide Defog support, as they caburn help Lugia wall opposing Pokemonts with Will-O-Wisp or Arceus', and utilize other support moves. However, an important part of theazards are integral to Lugia's ability to pressure that Lugia puts one opposing teams is its shuffling abilnent wities when phazards are up, racking up residual damage. Because of this, othermoves, so hazard setters such as Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Forretress or Stealth Rock users such as, Landorus-T, and Dialga pair nicely with Lugia. Of course, theit. Natural teammates that like being with walls likefor Lugia the most are the Pokemones that like havbenefit from it crippling opposing walls weakened byith Toxic. Swords Dance Rayquaza and Kyurem-W are great offensive partners to Lugia, ands they appreciate having opposing walls weakened and offensive threats deterred, while. Furthermore, they can defeat the Steel-types Lugia hasthat trouble Lugia with relatively easilye. Groudon can assist Lugia by fending off Zekrom and Tyranitar while setting up its own Stealth Rock for Lugia to rack up residual damage on the opposing team. Fighting Arceus can take on a good deal of Dark-types by itself, such asincluding Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dark Arceus, while also checking Kyurem-W. Yveltal can deal with Mega Gengar, defeat opposing walls with Taunt, and break past most Steel-types with a Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulse. Finally, Palkia can reliably defeat Kyogre, fell most Steel-types with Fire Blast, and take down or cripple Yveltal with Thunder.

Other Options
########

Safeguard is an optio move Lugia can run to shield Lugiaitself and its teammates from status for a short time. However, but it takes up a moveslot that Lugia can uould otherwise reserve for another utility move, and a cleric can heal the entire team of's status anywayconditions. Earthquake can letallows Lugia take on tho damage Steel-types that are immune to Toxic such as Dialga, and can hurt Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. However, but Lugia's base 90 Attack prevents it from being used effectively with and Attack-decreasing nature if it is (used with Aeroblast. Stone Edge can) prevents the move from being used effectively. In the same vein, Stone Edge can be used to deal with Ho-Oh and Yveltal, but it has poor accuracy and suffers from the same problem as withat Earthquake still presents itself, and the accuracy isn't something to be desired. Recover can be used over Roost to keep theLugia's Ground immunity, but Roost lets Lugia lose 3 out ofmitigates its 5 weaknesses into Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type moves, giving Roosit more utility. Defog can let Lugia support its team inby removing all the entry hazards in play, and Psycho Boost can OHKO Mega Blaziken and Mega Gengar. Unfortunately, Lugia's Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from utilizing Defog well, Psycho Boost does less damage ifwhen used repeatedlyin succession, and both moves are only legal to be used with the ability Pressure, causing Lugia to lose the precious option of Multiscale.

Lugia is an effective user of Calm Mind, as its bulk and Multiscale letallow it pick upto accrue at least one boost without trouble. However, Lugia's base 90 Special Attack is pitiful, and it faces extreme competition from all Arceus formes as a Calm Mind user. Using Lugia as acan set up dual screens setter cat nearly any prove very usefuloint in the match, asnd the screens combined with Multiscale make Lugiait ridiculously hard to defeat, and it. Lastly, Lugia can reliablyutilize a RestTalk set them at nearly any point in the match. Finally, to cure itself from status and uo replenish HP and remove status conditions. Furthermore, as phazing moves lose itstheir negaturally high Speed stative priority when chosen by Sleep Talk, Lugia can utilize a RestTalk set, phazing most wits naturalls first with a Sleep Talk Whirlwind while also curing statuy high Speed stat to quickly phaze out most walls. However, Lugia loses the ability to recoliably reactiver Multiscale quickly with Roost, and the coin flipluck factor that Sleep Talk preseintroduces can prove troublesome at times.

Checks and Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Lugia hates Stealth Rock like the plague, as it ruinders itLugia's ability to check sweepers well with Multiscale, hindering its effectiveness greatly as long as it remains on the fieldby removing a chunk of its health and deactivating Multiscale.

**Status Conditions**: Toxic completely destroyruins Lugia's ability to wall threats by breaking Multiscale every turn, and it can killKO Lugia if it stays in for too long enough. Paralysis also makes Lugia slower than pretty muchactically every other wall, causing it to lose an effective niche. Lugia also does not like bBurns, as they also break Multiscale as well, but not to ththough Toxic is more degree of Toxictrimental to Lugia.

**Ghost- and Dark-types**: The ever-rising popularity of these offensive Ghost- and Dark-type threats gives Lugia a run for its money. Tyranitar, Ghost Arceus, Darkrai, and Yveltal can all either KO or crippldamage Lugia with their STAB moves or cripple it with their utility options (such as Pursuit, Toxic, Dark Void and Taunt), forcing Lugiait out in fear or using it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types are immune to Toxic and resist all of Lugia's attacking options bar Earthquake. Defensive onSteel-types such as Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Jirachi, Aegislash, and Heatran can all hard wall Lugia, cripple it with Toxic, orand support their team with moves such as Wish or Stealth Rock as Lugia retreats.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can easily deal with Lugia, as the combined threats of Shadow Ball, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Tag can deter Lugia from even showing up on the battlefield. However, Lugia can phaze Gengar out with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail, can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and can/or potentially KO it with Earthquake or Psycho Boost.

**Kyurem-W**: Kyurem-W can severely threaten Lugia asWith Turboblaze and its obscenely high Special Attack and its ability to igno, Kyurem-W Multiscale allows it ton KO Lugia in one fell swoop ofwith a Choice Specs-boosted Ice Beam.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom also ignores Multiscale with Teravolt, can severely compromisemash Lugia's longevity with Bolt Strike, and packs an immunity to Thunder Wave. In addition, it can pivot out with Volt Switch when Lugia flees, gaining momentum for its team.

**Kyogre**: Kyogre can defeat Lugia iIf Stealth Rock is up, Kyogre cand if defeat Lugia sby hitting it witches intoh a rain- and Choice Specs-boosted Water Spout in raas it switches in. However, it does not Kyogre dislikes Toxic, at all and can only defeat Lugia if Stealth Rock is up, or else Lugia can stall it s the residual damage weakens the power of Water Spout.

**Chansey and Blissey**: The pink blobs can Toxic Lugia at their own whim, and they can heal off any Toxic from Lugiastatus conditions with Natural Cure. However, but they will lose one-on-one to Substitute Lugia, as its Substitute only breaks afteres two Seismic Tosses to break Lugia's Substitute.

**Prankster users**: Thundurus-I, KlefkiSableye, and SableyeKlefki can all cripple Lugia with status moves, and Thundurus-I and Sableyethe former two can use their Prankstertilize Taunt to defeat Lugia one-on-one. However, only Sableye can out-stall Lugia as it is the only one out of those three that haswith reliable recovery.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)