Lockdown (Now Playable!)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A good strategy is to play your first few turns so that you have a slow spinner/defogger out on the last turn before lockdown, allowing you to underspeed the opp and clear hazards permanently. Ofc this is foiled by ghosts (spin), taunt (defog) or bisharp (defog), but its solid nontheless. Hitmontop and Blastoise could decent if out on the second-from-last turn to create a 50:50 between Foresight and Rapid Spin too.

Reactions: Mq
A good strategy is to play your first few turns so that you have a slow spinner/defogger out on the last turn before lockdown, allowing you to underspeed the opp and clear hazards permanently. Ofc this is foiled by ghosts (spin), taunt (defog) or bisharp (defog), but its solid nontheless. Hitmontop and Blastoise could decent if out on the second-from-last turn to create a 50:50 between Foresight and Rapid Spin too.
This is the set I ran on my HO team to give me reliable hazard removal prior to lockdown:

Skarmory @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Mental Herb / Sturdy combination makes it a very reliable lead, able to land a Taunt right at the start of the match and shut down opposing setup mons. Its slow speed means it can lure opposing leads into Taunting it, wasting their turn as they get Taunted in return. Defog and Stealth Rock allow it to remove and set hazards, and Brave Bird allows it actually do something and not be useless after lockdown. Iron Head can be run instead of Brave Bird if you're worried about Diancie, and Whirlwind can be run over Defog or Stealth Rock if you want to focus more on disrupting the opponent's setup than on your own setup game.

OK, so the OMOTM nomination is coming in a few days, and I'd really like this to win because a) it's my meta and b) it's been a long time since a meta that works around field effects won (I think Same Type Stealth Rock was the last one). I'm going to change the OP so it matches the OMoM one (time saving precaution), and I want to get the ball rolling with the viability rankings. Can't post sprites, on my phone.

Klefki:

A Rank

Prankster Spikes, prankster Sunny Day and Rain Dance as well as Magnet Rise to negate its Ground weakness, Klefki works great for Sun, Rain and Spike stacking teams.

Smeargle

B Rank

Honestly, not that good. Yes it can technically set up anything, but it's so frail and not very fast either. If you want a weather/Trick Room setter there are much better choices. At best, you're going to get up 2 layers of hazards.

Aromatisse

A Rank

A low tier Pokémon normally, here it's great. If you want a Misty Terrain team, it is easily the best setter due to its great bulk and immunity to Taunt. It can also set up Trick Room, Sun and Rain . Also, because of its great bulk and Taunt immunity, you can run afford to run a Lum Berry or Babiri Berry or Custap Berry.

Mega Camerupt

A Rank

On Trick Room teams, it's one of the best megas you can use. Woeful Speed (tied for lowest of all fully evolved Pokémon), great Special Attack and Sheer Force mean it hits incredibly hard. It can also check threats to Trick Room like Mega Sableye. It can also work well on Sun teams as a check to opposing Trick Room teams and opposing Fire types.

Do you agree with my suggestions? Any nominations of your own?

Mud sport rain team. This is my new favorite meta :P

Also, some mons that could be useful in this meta.

Forretress

With rapid spin and 3 of the entry hazards Forretress is just as effective here as he is in standard play. He's also slow, meaning guaranteed entry hazard removal against a lot of mons at turn 6 if the opponent does not have a ghost type.

Omastar

Omastar also has 3 entry hazards but has rain dance and shell smash to have more offensive presence. However, It lacks rapid spin and has a bad typing.

Last edited:
Mud sport rain team. This is my new favorite meta :P

Also, some mons that could be useful in this meta.

Forretress

With rapid spin and 3 of the entry hazards Forretress is just as effective here as he is in standard play. He's also slow, meaning guaranteed entry hazards against a lot of mons at turn 6 if the opponent does not have a ghost type.

Omastar

Omastar also has 3 entry hazards but has rain dance and shell smash to have more offensive presence. However, It lacks rapid spin and has a bad typing.
I didn't think about Forretress, that looks like another good Pokémon. In addition to getting all hazards bar webs as you said, it can also set up Sunny Day and Gravity. Since Ninetales is crap outside of Drought, often a manual sun setter is a good idea. It gets Sturdy too, meaning you can run a Custap Berry to have 1 priority hazard/sun/gravity. It can also use Explosion to prevent Defogging.

Stragely a lot of lower tier Pokémon do well here, like Aromatisse and M-Camerupt

Forretress has a lot of superb qualities. Sturdy is a great ability for a suicide lead, and also allows him to more easily run an Explosion/Custap combo which can be used to deny defog. He has access to stealth rock, spikes, and rapid spin for hazard control, volt switch to pivot, gyro ball allows him to beat Mega Diancie 1v1 and scare off one of the two premier magic bouncers. He gets Sunny Day and Sandstorm, allowing him to act as a setter for those archetypes. The only problem with Forry is that he's complete taunt bait due to his slow speed.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"With its great bulk and typing combined with an immunity to Taunt, Aromatisse is a great lead. It can set up Trick Room, Sunny Day, Rain Dance and Misty Terrain, the latter of which Aromatisse is easily the best user of the move." and the picture of Slurpurff's Sprite

Btw, Water types with Mud Sport can use this to sweep lol
(Light Screen cuz there's no Mud Sport in calc, but mind the damage is still lower than this, Mud Sport reduces to 1/3 and Light Screen to 1/2 iirc)
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy through Light Screen: 202-238 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo through Light Screen: 220-261 (68.1 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados through Light Screen: 160-190 (48.3 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Then a rain team with this seems best, only worry about Trick Room and Grass types lol
And Slowbro may can deal with Trick Room teams and learn Mud Sport
Rain teams are a really interessting threat to this Other Meta, and Politoed is slower than any Sun setter then can switch in before then (only worry about Sun setters that use Sunny Day)

Slowbro may could be ranked at least to B- cuz it can set Mud Sport and have many bulky, Trick Room, Burning STAB, Calm Mind, reliable recovery, Regenerator, etc

Last edited:
Fixed the sprite, thanks for pointing that out. Mud Sport is interesting to use on Rain teams, but the Electric negation cuts both ways so you won't be able to spam Thunder. This calculator includes Mud Sport and Water Sport:

252 SpAtk Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP/0 SpDef Manaphy: 134 - 162 (39.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpAtk Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP/0 SpDef Keldeo: 150 - 176 (46.4 - 54.5%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO
252 SpAtk Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP/0 SpDef Mega Gyarados: 108 - 128 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO

Damn that's impressive. I wonder how viable the Sports are

Natan

Fixed the sprite, thanks for pointing that out. Mud Sport is interesting to use on Rain teams, but the Electric negation cuts both ways so you won't be able to spam Thunder. This calculator includes Mud Sport and Water Sport:

252 SpAtk Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP/0 SpDef Manaphy: 134 - 162 (39.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpAtk Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP/0 SpDef Keldeo: 150 - 176 (46.4 - 54.5%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO
252 SpAtk Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP/0 SpDef Mega Gyarados: 108 - 128 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO

Damn that's impressive. I wonder how viable the Sports are
Well...even without Thunder, you can use Hurricane and Water SPAM, Ferrothorn and the basic in a Rain team can be awesome

Natan

Abomasnow @Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Quiet nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain / Wood Hammer
- Focus Blast / Earthquake
- Ice Shard
Abomasnow is an awesome Trick Room Wallbreaker, with Permahail and deserves at least a B rank imo. Blizzard + Hail deals massive damage and more 6% in each turn (except in Ice types or Magic Guard). Besides Mach Punch / the rare Vacuum Wave, there's no priorty that OHKOes it, and the only Fire type slower than it is Camerupt-Mega (using a bulky Water type can help to deal with it), Stealth Rocks still worry, but Abomasnow is still an awesome Trick Room Wallbreaker and can OHKO many things thanks to Blizzard + Hail and Ice + Grass STABs (allowing it to hit Water, Flying, Ground, Rock, Grass and Dragon with supereffective STABs) and a Fighting/Ground coverage. Another bad thing is Permahail will damage any non-ice / Magic Guard in your team, but it's only 6% in each turn, then isn't a big problem

Some nominations:

Slowbro B-/B:

As Randomnick said, great bulk lets it set up Trick Room, Mud Sport (probably the best user of that move IMO) and even Rain Dance if need be. Can also take advantage of all 3 of those conditions itself.

Mega Slowbro: A- / B+

In Misty Terrain, this thing is damn near unbreakable after a couple of Calm Minds because it's immune to critical hits and can't be statused. It can also be used on Rain teams as a check to opposing Trick Room teams.

Mega Abomasnow: B / B+

As Randomnick said, it's a solid wallbreaker under Trick Room but its uses don't end there: it can also be used to disrupt opposing weather teams, and with accuracy taken out of the equation Blizzard is very spammable. Although it has a lot of weakneses, it still has useful Ground, Water, Grass and Electric resistances.

Whimsicott: B+ / B / A -

Can set up Sunny Day and Trick Room, the former of which gets priority thanks to Prankster. It also has priority Taunt and Encore as disruption tools, and in Grassy or Misty Terrain it gets a priority Energy Ball and Moonblast respectively (the former of which gets a boost in Grassy Terrain) courtesy of Nature Power.

Cresselia: A / A+

The bulkiest Pokémon in standard play, Cresselia is virutally impossible to OHKO. It can support the team with Sun, Rain, Trick Room and Gravity. Its titanic bulk means its one of the few Pokémon who can set up multiple conditions, and it can use Lunar Dance to safely bring in the weather summoner if you have one.

What are your thoughts people?

I'm not sure if this was forgotten or purposely ignored like Screens, but Magic Room seems like a pretty cool strategy. It seems nowhere as broken as Screens/Tailwind, so I'm not sure why it wasn't included. Other than that this meta seems really cool. I hope it gets OMOTM.

I'm not sure if this was forgotten or purposely ignored like Screens, but Magic Room seems like a pretty cool strategy. It seems nowhere as broken as Screens/Tailwind, so I'm not sure why it wasn't included. Other than that this meta seems really cool. I hope it gets OMOTM.
Magic Room is permanent if it lasts beyond Turn 6, but when I changed the OP I forgot to add that, my bad. As for Magic Room, I'm not sure if it'll be that useful myself. Most Pokémon can still function without their items. If it prevented Mega stones from working it would be brilliant, but since it doesn't it's pretty niche. Still, it's better than Wonder Room.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Another nomination!!
Conkeldurr For A: Its one of the pokemon we will be likely to see on trick room based team.Why?Becoz it has hammer arm, to be honest here this move completly destroys other offensive teams with ease.
Aerodactyl for B:Can set up tailwinds and rocks quickly thanks to its excellent speed and its party member's can take the chance of tailwind's speed boost to set up Misty terrain/Trick Room etc.Also, it can also be a good deffoger and outstall stealth rocks with its ability Pressure.

Edit:Anyone tried Sticky web team?Although trick room does the same and even effect flying types

Last edited:

Natan

Weather Setters will be very appreciated
Nominating Politoed to B+/B Politoed is the main rain setter, rain possibly is the main weather to aboose, Politoed is slower than Ninetales / Zard Y, then it can be switch in the 6th turn to got a permarain, Rain + Slowbro (Trick Room Control and Mud Sport setter), but their own threat will possibly Mega Abomasnow in Trick Room, cuz Slowbro Fire Blast in rain won't be useful then it won't run this, and is a speed tie between Slowbro and Mega Abomasnow Min Speed in Trick Room, if u don't run EVs is Bro. Despite this, Tornadus-T, Ferrothorn, Swampert-Mega, will realy provect the permarain (and Tornadus-T can be more resistant to Electric type moves with Mud Sport). Then Politoed may be very apreciated, but another Rain setter (Rain Dance user) can be used (as Cresselia) and is more viable than Politoed, but its still a good option and many bulky, with Mud Sport the only way from deal many super effective damage is run Grass-type.

Mammoth update for viability rankings:

Warning: Lots of text
Ninetales and Politoed - B-

Outside of summoning weather, they both suck. However, that is still a good niche.

Cresselia - A+

Amazing bulk, great support movepool. Can easily set up Sun, Rain, Trick Room and Gravity, also has Lunar Dance to safely bring in a weather summoner if you're using one. Speaking of...

Tyranitar - A

Unlike Politoed and Ninetales, Tyranitar has utility outside of providing weather. It hits very hard, and can reliably set up Stealth Rock. It can also work on Trick Room and Sun teams as well

Hippowdon - A-

Better bulk than Tyranitar, and being the slowest weather summoner around helps if both get switched in on the same turn. Still hits decently hard thanks to 112 base Attack

Conkeldurr - A

As Megaqwer said, under Trick Room it's lethal. Give it a status orb (Flame Orb's usually the best option, as it's meant to sweep), it hits like a freight train. STAB Hammer Arm makes it even "faster", and between Hammer Arm, Knock Off and Facade it has perfect neutral coverage. STAB priority's always nice too

Whimsicott - A-

Priority Sunny Day and priority Taunt to disrupt opposing leads. It can also set up Trick Room, and abuse Misty and Grassy Terrain with effectively a priority STAB thanks to Nature Power.

Aerodactyl - B-

The fastest user of Stealth Rock and Taunt (bar its mega forme). It can also set up Sandstorm. Frail, but its great Speed does somewhat make up for that

Forretress - B+

Great bulk, can set up all entry hazards bar Sticky Web as well as remove them, and can even set up Sunny Day and Gravity. Can also use a slow Volt Switch / Explosion to bring in a weather summoner.

Bronzong - B+

Not as bulky as Cresselia, but has better defensive typing and unlike the celestial swan it can set up Stealth Rock and Sandstorm. It can abuse Trick Room itself reasonably well too.

Rampardos - C-

Scyther NO Swiping bought up Rampardos in this article. While it could be devastating under Trick Room, honestly I think it's mostly outclassed by Conkeldurr and Rhyperior - they're both slower and bulkier, and while they don't hit as hard, neither is what you'd call weak.

Gengar - C-

Fast, frail Pokémon in general struggle in this meta, and Gengar has it really bad. Not only does it get murdered by Trick Room, most Swift Swim users demolish it too as does Sand Rush Excadrill. It doesn't even get priority, and can't use Focus Sash nearly as well as Alakazam.

Mega Swampert - A-

For Rain teams, Swampert is probably the best mega you could use. 150 base Attack is pretty damn high, and in the Rain Waterfall has the same power as a STAB Close Combat. Thanks to Swift Swim it outruns everything without a Choice Scarf even with an Adamant nature. It should only be used in Rain though.

Pokémon I'm considering - feel free to chip in with your opinion

Mega Abomasnow

Slowbro

Mega Slowbro

Goodra

Mega Metagross

Azumarill

Last edited:

Natan

Some opinions about these pokémon
Abomasnow-Mega to B
: Mega Abomasnow is a good option of Trick Room + Permahail and can break by itself Rain teams (and force using a counter in these teams) it can defeat : Politoed, Slowbro, Swampert-Mega, Tornadus-T and has a little chance from 2HKO Ferrothorn with Blizzard, while a min speed Abomasnow takes max 39% damage from Gyro Ball, but unfortunately, another awesome Trick Room abooser (Camerupt-Mega) is slower and can hit first with a super effective STAB, then Abomasnow-Mega isn't the best Trick Room team counter and, without Trick Room it weakness to Stealth Rock and many weaknesses turn it hard to use.

Slowbro to B+
: Without wasting mega slot, Slowbro have Thunder Wave, reliable recovery, awesome Physical Bulky, Mud Sport, Trick Room, Regenerator and a Burning STAB then is always a good option, as a Trick Room counter to rain-teams, easily defeats Camerupt-Mega and is a really good option, but Special super effective moves are really able to destroy it.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 265-313 (67.2 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Camerupt: 336-396 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Slowbro-Mega to B
: Without Regenerator after mega evolving, the good option of Slowbro-Mega is more for setup than anything, it's still really good, but Slowbro's regular form many times works best cuz have Regenerator, being able to switch on many things and even have passive Leftovers' recovery.

Azumarill to B-
: An average Trick Room option, and an awesome Rain option, Aqua Jet + Rain + Choice Band is awesome dealing damage, but its low speed is really bad (even for Trick Room, cuz Trick Room aboosers are usually slower). Otherwise, is useful for Rain teams as defensive Sap Sipper to counter Abomasnow Mega (probably not the best option, but is useful), lol. It have some support options as Scald (Burn), Encore, Perish Song, etc.

Metagross-Mega to B
: Meta is really damn strong, have good STAB options, but its Speed is bad to Trick Room / Weather Speed aboosers (such as Camerupt-Mega and Excadrill respectively). It have Bullet Punch and with its STABs can deal with many things, unfortunately it doesn't get Swords Dance, meaning it can only setup with Hone Claws (not really bad, Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt both have 90% accuracy and it gets a destructive attack) Meteor Mash's boost in Atk isn't reliable, but with Hone Claws it may 2HKO Phys Def Cresselia (a top threat) with Stealth Rocks, lol. But isn't really so good here cuz Speed control bases the OM (Weathers + Speed Ability or Trick Room). Rhyperior, Camerupt-Mega (both in Trick Room), Swampert in Rain, Excadrill in Sand all can easily win against Metagross-Mega and hit first.
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 198-234 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Goodra to D or C-
Wait...why could be Goodra ever viable? Almost any kind of team can defeat it.
Trick Room:
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Hammer Arm vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 381-448 (100 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Rain:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 268-316 (70.3 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 190-225 (55.7 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Sand (Goodra probably will take prior damage cuz don't have reliable recovery):
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 321-380 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But btw, Goodra may be a check to Special aboosers in Sun teams, but I don't know, I guess C- Rank is the best it can get...

Last edited:
Edit:Anyone tried Sticky web team?Although trick room does the same and even effect flying types
I don't think Sticky Web is viable at all. Galvantula and Smeargle are pretty terrible pokemon in an OU-based meta, so it's a big investment to run it in the first place. It's much easier to defog than it is to stop it, so keeping Sticky Web up is a challenge. Both Galvantula and Smeargle are either beaten or hard-walled by the magic bounce megas, get taunted by prankster taunt leads, and depend on a focus sash to live even a single turn. The hazard doesn't help against Trick Room or bulky win-cons like Slowbro, gives stat boosts to Bisharp or Serperior whenever they switch in... there are just way too many problems here to even consider using it, sadly.

On another topic, does anyone have a suggestion for Grassy Terrain setter? It's got a very limited distribution, and none of the users stand out as good leads in this meta.

Natan

On another topic, does anyone have a suggestion for Grassy Terrain setter? It's got a very limited distribution, and none of the users stand out as good leads in this meta.
Whimsicott doesn't learn this? Lol damn, the idea is using some bulky thing (Tangrowth) or fast (Scepitile, Serperior) then, I guess. And excluding Smeargle, Florges is the only non-grass type that learn Grassy Terrain, may be a option but Idk...this doesn't seems so good options of setters, but
Bayleef, Bellossom, Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Flabebe, Floette, Florges, Gloom, Grotle, Grovyle, Hoppip, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Maractus, Meganium, Nuzleaf, Oddish, Roserade, Sceptile, Seedot, Serperior, Servine, Shiftry, Skiploom, Smeargle, Snivy, Sunflora, Sunkern, Tangela, Tangrowth, Torterra, Treecko, Turtwig, Venusaur, Vileplume

I don't think Sticky Web is viable at all. Galvantula and Smeargle are pretty terrible pokemon in an OU-based meta, so it's a big investment to run it in the first place. It's much easier to defog than it is to stop it, so keeping Sticky Web up is a challenge. Both Galvantula and Smeargle are either beaten or hard-walled by the magic bounce megas, get taunted by prankster taunt leads, and depend on a focus sash to live even a single turn. The hazard doesn't help against Trick Room or bulky win-cons like Slowbro, gives stat boosts to Bisharp or Serperior whenever they switch in... there are just way too many problems here to even consider using it, sadly.

Personally I'd use either Tangrowth, Serpeiror or Mega Venuasuar as a Grassy Terrain setter.

New additons to VR

M-Abomasnow to B
Slowbro to B+
M-Slowbro to B
Azumarill to B-
M-Metagross to B
Goodra to D

Since this is an OU based meta, let's discuss some OU staples and how they might do here:

Clefable

Mega Lopunny

Heatran

Mega Charizard X

Mega Charizard Y

Scizor

Mega Scizor

Any other Pokémon you want to nominate / discuss?

Since this is an OU based meta, let's discuss some OU staples and how they might do here:
About as good as usual. It's low speed tier means it really doesn't care one way or another whether trick room is active. Unaware and Magic Guard are both great abilities as always, and synergize well with various field effects.

Mega Lopunny
Like all glass-cannon pokemon that rely on their speed for their viability, it's rendered utterly useless by Trick Room. This means a reliable counter-setter is mandatory to use Mega Lopunny, so it's definitely less viable.

Benefits enormously from Grassy Terrain teams, since it loves the extra recovery and weakened ground-type moves. Also very good as an anti-lead since it matches up favorably against both Whimsicott and Klefki, and if you run Flash Cannon can beat Mega Diancie 1v1. Probably a bit better than usual. And yes, this guy is on my half-finished Grassy Terrain team ;-)

Mega Charizard X
Mega Charizard Y
A dedicated hazard removal teamslot is required with x4 rock weak pokemon since if SR gets locked in they're pretty terrible. I don't think that's enough to hurt their viability too much, since they need hazard support in standard anyways and running a dedicated support teamslot to ensure a favorable lockdown is a fair presumption in this meta.

Scizor
Mega Scizor
It's a free switch-in to the dangerous Fire-types you'll find on Sun and Trick Room archetypes. It's not quite slow enough to be run on Trick Room teams, where it's completely outclassed by Escavalier anyways. However, on teams that run Trick Room as a backup option rather than a primary option its more balanced offerings make it very appealing and it definitely appreciates Misty Terrain. It's a bit harder to fit on a team in this meta than in standard, but it doesn't look bad.

Natan

Heatran to B+

Probably the best Fire-type option for Grassy Terrain teams, this is not only cuz it is immune to Fire type moves, but it is better against a Earthquake with power droped. As Darvin said, it wins against Klefki, Whimsicott and some few leads, and have Taunt. But it fails against Rain teams and its not so fast to deal with Weather abooses (rekt by Sand / Rain teams) and not so slow to deal with Trick Room teams (also rekt cuz takes OHKO to Conkeldurr, Camerupt-Mega, and Rhyperior as Trick Room threats (but is usually good it Taunt the opponents, don't allowing them to use Trick Room with negative priority unless they run Mental Herb).

Clefable to S A+/ A

An awesome option for any team, a good support, good bulkies to take damage, reliable recovery (or Wish passing), coverage options. It can't set up an appreciated field condiction, and can only set up Misty Terrain and Misty Terrain don't allow it to use Thunder Wave, but is useful with Unaware being immune to status condictions, otherwise, it can fit on weather teams and terrain teams due to it ability from check threats, while these teams usually don't have problems with Steel types (Sun aboose, Swampert-Mega, Excadrill) it can also setup Gravity to help Sand teams to deal with threats like Skarmory. An awesome option that can fit in any team as good as in OU.

Mega Lopunny to C-

As many glass cannons, is bad against Speed control (Weathers, Trick Room) based teams, and Misty Terrain + Whimsicott is able to defeat it (thanks to Prankster Secret Power) and isn't a big threat to this, but its ability to gain free turns with Fake Out, Encore, being able to stall cause switches and it awesome Base Atk can give it a niche, not so good but is useful to some teams.

Last edited:
I'm not going to put anything in S rank for the time being, as I don't think the metas been played enough at the moment. S Rank mons define the tier they're in, and at this stage it's hard to know what'll do that.

Double post! Thanks to the people who voted for Lockdown in May, shame it lost but oh well. There's always June...or July...or August...

So I've actually got something to talk about in this post, I've upated the viability rankings based on your suggestions:

Heatran: A-

Great lead as it has Taunt, Stealth Rock and Sunny Day. Suffers against Rain, Sandstorm and to a lesser extent Trick Room, but on Sun teams it's great for its ability to check opposing Fire types.

Clefable: A+

Still brilliant here. Can work on just about any archetype in some form or another. I'm not going to put anything in S rank yet, as I think the meta needs more time to develop.

Mega Charizard X: A

Not as good as standard since Trick Room teams can beat it, but it's still a solid mon. Amazing on Sun teams, as that makes its Flare Blitz stronger than a STAB V-create!

Mega Charizard Y: A

For the price of your mega slot, it's basically a superior Ninetales. Drought and higher Special Attack than Mewtwo make it an extremely threatening wallbreaker, and it can also set up Sun for your team. Since switching takes priority over Mega evolving, if you can bring it in cleanly on Turn 5, sun is all but yours.

Scizor: B-

Doesn't really benefit from any team archetype apart from perhaps Trick Room, where I'd rather use Escavalier anyway. Can check Sandstorm teams reasonably well.

Mega Scizor: B

Basically a superior Scizor. However, a lot of team archetypes have other megas they'd prefer: Trick Room prefers Camerupt; Sun prefers either Charizard X, Y or Houndoom; Sand prefers Garchomp or sometimes Steelix.

Mega Lopunny: C

Fast frail Pokémon struggle here, and unfortunately that's true for Lopunny as well. As awesome as its Speed used to be, Trick Room, Sand Rush, Swift Swim and to a lesser extent Chlorophyll make it much harder for Lopunny to clean up.

The individual ranks are also now in alphabetical order.

Do you guys have any nominations?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)