(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I hated Sky Battles because the difficulty spiked so much from the surrounding trainers. I lost two 'mons that were otherwise levelled up fine in a Nuzlocke by getting into one.

I hated Sky Battles because the difficulty spiked so much from the surrounding trainers. I lost two 'mons that were otherwise levelled up fine in a Nuzlocke by getting into one.
This - there's one particularly notable example I remember. On Kalous Route 8, isn't there a Sky Trainer who has Pokemon a good ~8 or so levels above surrounding trainers. Even higher than the Gym Leader in the area after.

Not only are the higher levels annoying but this combined with a limited pool of Pokemon that can be used in these battles just makes them a pain.

Gotta complain about something that is making my attempt to make a No Holds Barred team much harder: how difficult it is to get Caps, even the Silver ones.

I have a Deoxys that only really misses on having a horrible Speed IV, but since getting a Cap without cloning or long Battle Tree streaks is incredibly difficult, I cannot patch that bad IV without someone else giving me a Cap on purpose.

I don't mind if I have to farm for Caps (after all, they are not meant to replace breeding) but it went overboard. You either have to break a 50+ streak on purpose (and you have to wait for the next day) or pray for one of the few unforgiving RNG-based methods to give you a Cap.

Last edited:
Gotta complain about something that is making my attempt to make a No Holds Barred team much harder: how difficult it is to get Caps, even the Silver ones.

I have a Deoxys that only really misses on having a horrible Speed IV, but since getting a Cap without cloning or long Battle Tree streaks is incredibly difficult, I cannot patch that bad IV without someone else giving me a Cap on purpose.

I don't mind if I have to farm for Caps (after all, they are not meant to replace breeding) but it went overboard. You either have to break a 50+ streak on purpose (and you have to wait for the next day) or pray for one of the few unforgiving RNG-based methods to give you a Cap.
There's an easy way to get unlimited Silver Caps in Festival Plaza
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeMoonSu..._to_get_bottle_caps_guaranteed_for_the_price/

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but it annoys me that they have made legendary mons so easy to catch. They are supposed to be the gods of the pokemon games, and yet in ORAS you can catch Kyogre/Groudon/Deoxys with a couple ultra balls quite easily. In FR/LG i would knock Zapdos down to a sliver of hp and put it to sleep and still go through 40+ ultra balls without catching it and having to reset the game many times.

Sure this did get annoying, but i always thought having the legendaries be tough to catch was a great challenge for the end of the games and you actually felt like you accomplished something when you caught them.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but it annoys me that they have made legendary mons so easy to catch. They are supposed to be the gods of the pokemon games, and yet in ORAS you can catch Kyogre/Groudon/Deoxys with a couple ultra balls quite easily. In FR/LG i would knock Zapdos down to a sliver of hp and put it to sleep and still go through 40+ ultra balls without catching it and having to reset the game many times.
Funny how you mention Kyogre, Groudon and Deoxys in ORAS when only Rayquaza is easier to catch in that game than before.

It's a matter of RNG.

Funny how you mention Kyogre, Groudon and Deoxys in ORAS when only Rayquaza is easier to catch in that game than before.

It's a matter of RNG.
In fact, I believe Groudon and Kyogre were made a bit harder to catch in OR/AS than in R/S/E. Their capture rate was 5 before, but OR/AS made every Legendary that isn't Rayquaza (and available to catch) have the standard rate of 3.

Of course, the sense of accomplishment kind of gets diminished when the story shoves a legendary in your face and says "catch it. Now." like in B/W, X/Y, OR/AS, and S/M... (not even counting Lati@s that just jumps into a ball and joins you after you and Steven beat Courtney/Matt and a Magma/Aqua Grunt in a multi battle. Even its nature is guaranteed if you've a Synchronize Pokemon in your party, whether for competitive later or simply for in-game flavor)

Keep in mind that the games' primary demographic is young children, and while that doesn't excuse everything, it may explain some of these things, such as them handing players shiny toys on a silver platter.
Yeah, and I've never been a fan of the low capture rates. Maybe it's just me looking back with an adult's perspective, but I never really felt more accomplished for wasting dozens of balls just to catch a legendary. It doesn't make it more challenging, just more tedious. (I also don't get why the Beldum line's capture rate is so low. The starters have 45 and are often never found wild, meanwhile Beldum has 3 and Take Down)

Well, the low capture rates probably aren't just meant to give a sense of accomplishment, they're also that low to balance out the reward you get from the capture. It makes sense that in order to get access to more powerful options, you need to make a greater investment. In this case that investment is a combination of time and in-game money. Is that tedious rather than difficult? You could see it that way. Could there be better ways of handling this stuff? Maybe. But it seems unlikely that it'll change anytime soon.

A Catch Rate of 15 for the intentionally hard to catch Pokemon would seem fine to me.

3 is way too annoying. It doesn't matter if you bring the Pokemon to 1 HP, deprived it of any HP recovery (or lose) it could have and you have the highest catch multipliers. You're still at mercy of RNG and you could very well have to throw dozens of Ultra/Turn/Dusk Balls to catch it.

I doubt it was fully intentional but I liked having to come up with strategies to catch the Koko, Bulu, and especially Fini. You couldn't just Spore, False Swipe, throw Ball, repeat due to terrains and moves like Aqua Ring. The UBs also had a somewhat unique challenge where they had a certain stat highly raised making it harder to catch them since those with raised offensive stats could sweep your team even if you were over levelled. Then again, having Beast Balls mitigated that challenge if you wanted to.

Just to note, you have a ~50% chance to catch a base 15 Pokemon (such as Guzzlord) in 13 regular Pokeballs at full health. For a 'one in the whole game' Pokemon that seems far too easy. Base three Pokemon (many legendaries and Beldum) have ~50% to be caught after 44 balls at full health or ten balls if at 1 HP and asleep. Like with the Battle Tree or even the Elite Four, if you go in unprepared, it will be a long grind and tedious but if you're prepared it becomes much more manageable which is what you should expect for the post game of an RPG.

How unnecessarily expensive the TMs at TM shops are. I blew about $600,000 today buying them. Really, $50,000 is way too much for just a TM. Sure some are just $10,000 or $30,000, but why can't they all just be the same price?

Also, is it me or is money really tight in this game? In all the others I've played my fortune is always easily over $3 million, but here I struggle to keep a balance of 700,000-800,000(now I'm broke).

How unnecessarily expensive the TMs at TM shops are. I blew about $600,000 today buying them. Really, $50,000 is way too much for just a TM. Sure some are just $10,000 or $30,000, but why can't they all just be the same price?

Also, is it me or is money really tight in this game? In all the others I've played my fortune is always easily over $3 million, but here I struggle to keep a balance of 700,000-800,000(now I'm broke).
You'd think that the better (or more useful, at least) the TM, the more expensive it is. U-turn being P$10,000 while Sunny Day is P$50,000 baffles me.

I don't remember how much money I had in previous games during the playthrough, but yeah in SM I hovered around the 750k-850k range before the paycheck from the Ultra Beasts storyline.

I've always wondered what were GF thinking when they made Eviolite. “Hey guys, let’s make an item that basically prevents us from giving 99% of existing Pokemon new evolutions in the future”?!?!?!??!

There are so many subpar 2nd stagers (aromatisse, braviary, claydol, mismagius, xatu, etc) and standalones (girafarig, heatmor, spriritomb, lunatone, solrock, etc) that can use an evolution or two but NOOOOOOO. Thanks to this pos, current 2nd stagers and standalone can’t get evolutions anymore without contradicting 3 gen worths of legacy.

I'm sure that GF must have realised they effed up so bad that this played a no small role in them creating mega evolution to alleviate this somewhat. I mean, many megas could have been regular evolutions: AUDINO, Slowbro, Altaria, Steelix, Sharpedo, Manectric, Camerupt, Absol, Bannete, Houndoom, Aerodactyl and the 3 that they went the extra million miles to make them good: sableye, mawile, and pinsir.

This brings up another thing I hate too: they went out of their way to make a lot megas good with crazy stats distribution & ability and then leave others with some trashiest designs: Huge Power on sth with base 105 atk? Drought on a Fire type with base 159 sp.atk? a 1.2x atk boost on stuff with base 130, 145, 155, 165, etc offensive stat? but Healer? shell armor? tough claws with no stab? losing the most important stats in the game: speed? WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Just why?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Coeur7:
Sure, adding an additional battling mode to the post game Battle Tower/Subway/Maison/Tree wouldn't probably take that much development time. Infact I'd imagine something like a Battle Factory mode would be popular due to the low level of entry needed for the Battle Factory (since its all rented Pokemon).

But that's not really the issue we were talking about. What we were talking about was a full fledge Battle Frontier on the level of Emerald & Platinum. A completely new area with new aesthetics and each battling gimmick having its own Facility with its own style and Frontier Brain.

But, you know, maybe we don't need all that. Let's just focus on them adding new modes to the Battle Tower/Tree/etc.. Another issue comes up: there's a limited amount of things you can do with just recycling the Battle Tower expies alone. Some Facilities were made specifically to house their gimmick because some needed it's own building or least its own new art/model assets. Let's go through all the old Facilities and see what would be needed to implement them in the Battle Tower expies:

Factory: Okay, not much needs to be done. They could just have you talk with a trainer or PC-like device to pick your rented Pokemon. Then when you beat the opponent they'll just ask if you want to trade for one of their Pokemon. Note, there is additional work needed for Pokemon teams for the Battle Factory. The Battle Factory teams "build up" as you go through, if I recall you generally start with Pokemon who either have two stages or are in their middle evolution line (and maybe movesets that aren't as strong as other options). So they need to make additional teams which I think would take probably at least a day's worth of time for one department.
Arena/Palace: These would probably be even easier than the Battle Factory to implement as nothing really needs to be changed. For Arena the Pokemon needs to be judged on how that turn went and for Palace the Pokemon just has to follow a scripted battle procedure. They could probably even use the old programs they used in Emerald with tweaks to new moves and mechanics added and it's good to go.
Dome: This would require some new art asset, but just a graph to show how the tournament is progressing.
Pike: This would require adding at least one new room if not two. Also you have to create and then program the various other affects that could occur for picking a non-battle & non-rest room.
Pyramid: Forget it, it needs its own facility since its an exploration game where you're trying to find the exit while battling wild Pokemon/trainers as well as gathering items scattered around.
Arcade/Hall: Like Dome, they need new art assets. Arcade needs the roulette board (and any additional animation they want to include of the affect being applied to your Pokemon though that's no necessary) and Hall needs the type board for you to pick the type they want to face.
Castle: I'd say this is on the scale of Factory. Sure, at first it would seem all they would need to do is give player points to spend on items/services and someone to talk to between matches to buy what they want, but I think there's also an issue of balance that needs to be looked into as well as re-evaluating what item/services they'll offer.

Okay, so other than the Pyramid and Pike the others are possible but some may need more than an hour to do. Now we gotta also consider the level of interest players would have in these modes. Sure they can spend time of making these modes, but if no one likes them they'd just be wasting their time or frustrating their players:

Factory/Dome/Hall: I think these modes would be just fine and would be liked if added. Factory moreso due to low level of entry. Dome and Hall is just normal battles with a twist in how it proceeds.
Arcade/Pike: There's a major factor of luck with these that may also feel cheap if you get something that really messes you over. They're still fun, but they can also be frustrating if you're having a bad day.
Arena/Palace/Castle: These I'm not so sure about. These involve a lot more dedication and thinking. Arena you have to make sure each move you have will count in your favor, for Palace you pretty much need to raise Pokemon to act how you want them to act, and finally Castle you need to really strategize.
Pyramid: Due to Pyramid's more focus on exploration it would probably be more niche. Pretty much for those you like solving the Gym's puzzles more than the final Gym Leader battle.

And also let's not forget them adding in new gimmicks or bringing back old ones (Triple, Rotation, Inverse, Sky, Little Cup).

There's much more to think about adding in Facility modes than just whether its easy to do or not. They have to consider if its worth doing or over something they think would go over better. Personally I think they should do it (if not in the initial game maybe as DLC, free or paid is another argument), as I shown most I think which would be popular would need limited new art assets and planning.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've always wondered what were GF thinking when they made Eviolite. “Hey guys, let’s make an item that basically prevents us from giving 99% of existing Pokemon new evolutions in the future”?!?!?!??!
Mind you that they created this at the same time as they instated their policy of no more cross-generation evolutions. Sylveon will have to be seen as an exception in this regard.

Also, the existence of Eviolite does not prevent future cross-generation evolutions on a conceptual level. What would prevent them from giving an evolution to, say, Girafarig and giving the now pre-evolution the Eviolite boost? It wouldn't require a change in the Eviolite mechanics at all.

If anything, it's Mega Stones that cap evolutionary lines, and even that could be overruled by some hypothetical future developments.

Eviolite itself also hasn't really "broken" any pokemon: the only 2 big offenders (if we can call them like that) are Chansey and Pory2 which are significantly better than their evolutions, with Friend Guard Clefairy having its own niche, but that's really where Eviolite glory ends.

It's also worth reminding that, competitively-wise, with tutors available again, KnockOff can reappear and it's the biggest enemy of all that's Eviolite shaped, so I disagree, Eviolite has no issues neither balancing wise neither as far as "preventing cross gen evolutions" going.

I'm quite sure that the fact that they stopped making cross gen evolutions with gen 6 (outside of Sylveon) has more to do with simply not liking the idea that a pokemon "magically is found out to be able to evolve" which doesn't really add up well "lore wise".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 11)