Little Cup Statistics - Feb. & Mar. 2010

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70150

They are in the CAP forum, but I thought it would be kind of dumb not to discuss them here, so here they are.

The one major change is that Chimchar was a number two lead in february :).

Gastly went from #18 in Feb to #3 in March. Clearly it's moving in to replace Missy.

Anyway, start discussing. I'll add more later - I just wanted to get this thread up asap.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why oh why is Totodile 12 places higher than Krabby? Krabby is almost superior in every way, with its ability to achieve perfect coverage through the use of two moves, a better Defense stat that gives it more opportunities to set up, and a better Attack stat.

Also I don't understand how Koffing is number 30 (also higher than Krabby). It can't do anything offensively, though I suppose it has a Ground immunity and Will-o-Wisp.

Eevee at 42...

Eevee is one of the best late game sweepers in Little Cup. Adaptability STAB Quick Attack hits like a truck, and Eevee is faster than Croagunk, the most common Vacuum Wave user.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Machop way down in #10 to #14 for leads.. it just confuses me, its probably the most reliable lead in the game. Chimchar surprised me for sure. Again, the true shocker is 63 usage in Machop this March.

Why oh why is Totodile 12 places higher than Krabby? Krabby is almost superior in every way, with its ability to achieve perfect coverage through the use of two moves, a better Defense stat that gives it more opportunities to set up, and a better Attack stat.
instant speed with priority, allowing Totodile to allocate unnecessary speed EVs into its defenses. Both can have perfect coverage btw, and Totodile only needs one turn to be completely deadly compared to Krabby's two(you either get outsped or your underpowered: Totodile is neither).

(In response to Dub's post) Whenever I find myself asking questions like that, I answer myself, 'Well, it's everyone else's loss for not doing it themselves.'

Although in the case of Totodile, there is the matter of it having priority and being a heckuva lot cuter than Krabby (...hey, some people choose Pokemon for that reason. Not like me, or anything... <.< >.> but they do.)

Eevee always seems to have trouble with Steel-types, and while they're not that common, they're there, and my Aron never fails to exploit Eevee's attempt at a sweep to switch in and set up RP.

Koffing is actually offensively decent. But yeah, Koffing in my mind is sort of a superior Duskull, since while it doesn't have the Normal immunity like Dusk does, it DOES retain a ground immunity, Fighting resistance, and a usable movepool to go along with its better offensive stat (unlike Duskull, who basically just gets Shadow Sneak and Return to use with its Attack stat).

EDIT: I'm surprised to see how much Shuppet is actually getting used. :0 I mean, 23 times isn't a lot, but it's definitely a lot more usage than Shuppet has probably ever seen. Why's he getting so popular all of a sudden, I wonder?
EDIT AGAIN: And Charmander too!! :0 Wow.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll just repost what I said in the other thread:
lol a bunch of the Little Cup stats are directly related to both Lord Liam and I running the same team. 10 place jump for Bronzor from Feb to March. Not sure who else was running Bronzor, but it definetly is one of the better leads and midgame pokes. A lot of teams have no responses for it and it basically walls Gligar like none other.

And in Feb. I think I was the only player (maybe Fuzz?) running Hippopotas, which means I played 212 games x_x
I also agree what franky said

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
NOTE: my post is based entirely on March's stats

Carvanha drop ): I guess the shift from all the switching and in the increase in speed (again) makes vanha a good bit weaker, not to mention the lack of surprise factor. Mantyke drop is really surprsing to me. I've been runnng RainTyke as a lategame sweepe and I have to say, it's a damn sight more reliable than Chinchou. Chinchou is great, but the immunity to Ground is much better than an electric immunity. Rain lets Mantyke's Hydro Pump 2hko Chinchou and Munchlax as well, making it one of the best speed-boosters in the meta by far.*

Seeing Gastly and Munchlax up there again is reassuring. They're two of the best and always have been. With no Missy to keep them down, I expect that they're up to their old tricks again. However, in that same vein, I'm surprised that Elekid usage isn't higher! While I understand that Scarf is coming back int vogue, Elekid is still a valuable Pokemon to have. He can outrun everything and still change moves, which is pretty damn impressive.*

Gligar with SR but not Roost has always struck me as kind of odd. I usually run ScarfGar though, so I can't really attest to the ineffectiveness of 3 attacks+SR, it seems kind of silly to me. Lots of Pokemon learn SR. Not many get access to U-turn coupled with some awesome immunities and resistences.

Croagunk is all over the place, as always! I'm surprised there's no Thunderpunch on there and that EQ is so far down. Gunk makes for kind of a cool Chinchou/Mantyke/general Rain check if you need one. In terms of being a team's glue he's clearly still the best choice, and with no Sneak Missy around he's free to Sucker Punch once more!

Looking at the team-mate stats, it appears as though the metagame is starting to recenter around a core of gligar/gastly/croagunk. While it would seem obvious that this is happening given that these guys are in ~50% of battles, I think that it's interesting that all three of these Pokemon really hated fighting Misdreavus. I think that it's an excellent measure of the effect she had on the metagame. Of course Gligar usage never fell, but I'm certain that he's a lot stronger now that one of his main aggressors has been removed. Gunk and Gastly were really badly checked by Missy, so it's awesome to see them make this kind of comeback, at least for an old vet!

Whoever is running Poliwag is doing it wrong...very wrong.

I think you're right about the Gligar/Gastly/Gunk centralization, Croagunk in particular seemed like one of the most common Pokemon to me when I was still playing.

Matty, was your comment directed at me or just an in-general statement? :0 ...I guess it would explain all the Shuppet and Charmander usage, since I'm probably the only person using them.

-EDIT- CROAGUNK IS EVEN MORE EVERYWHERE. O___o I need a more clear-cut counter for Gunk, my primary team has a ton of trouble with him.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Naw it was just general. I agree about Croagunk now being everywhere

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Agree about Gligar/Gastly/Gunk. Has problems with strong special attackers, especially things like Snover - use with Munchlax for maximum effect.

Two stats I find bafflingly low:
| Gastly | Move | Substitute | 36.2 |
| Gastly | Move | Hypnosis | 17.0 |

Well SubLO Gastly is much harder to fit into a team then Scarf Gastly, and Hypnosis is only usable on an LO set, so its not that surprising...

Agreeing with matty wholeheartedly on the issue of Bronzor. THE best go-to pokemon when in doubt, always a great glue for teams and a reliable lead. Virtually guarantees SR and screen support and walling Gligar is a plus as matty said.

I think you may want to re-evaluate what consitutes a common threat in the threat list since I've seen a couple that looked odd in there, that I was waiting for this to find confirm their usage.

I still think that Croagunk is overrated. Useful pokemon but not #2 worthy

| Buizel | Move | Ice Punch | 84.4 |
| Buizel | Move | Aqua Jet | 79.2 |
| Buizel | Move | Return | 74.0 |
| Buizel | Move | Waterfall | 49.0 |
| Buizel | Move | Brick Break | 45.8 |
| Buizel | Move | Bulk Up | 31.2 |

This is confusing. Waterfall is Buizel's most powerful attack. I don't see why people are faffing about with Brick Break and Ice Punch to that extent when you get perfect Water/Normal coverage. Not many people using SubSeed Snover now, which is a shame.

| Snover | Move | HP-Ground | 41.9 |

Am I overlooking something or is HP Fire not superior to HP Ground

if you want houndour to switch in pretty much for free yes. I'm aware that Blizzard and Wood Hammer and whatever still really hurt but Houndour is still a common switchin and you're just increasing the chance of giving it an FF boost which isn't good.

I suppose you'd lose coverage against bronzor but it's really not that common which is why I suppose people wouldnt go for fire...

Having to switch into a Houndour with an FF boost is far worse than having to switch into an opposing Snover or Bronzor. Far worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)