Walrus LG's Drunken Rave (Won by Nightmare!)

In 23rd, earning 3.5 points: Toren

Dance Gavin Dance: We Own The Night

I’m not an afficionado of harsh vocals, but even I can tell these are not good. Would like it a lot more if all the singing was clean. Also not as edgy as I’d expect from the king of edge.

In 22nd, earning 3.7 points: Einto

Youth Lagoon: Dropla

I don't like the happy go lucky backing combined with the pretty dark lyrics, sometimes those motifs mesh but they fail to click here. Singing is not great, the piano is muted/produced in a really annoying way.

In 13th, earning 6.1 points: Blazade

Protest The Hero: Bloodmeat

This guy's transitions between clean and harsh are pretty swell, even though his actual vocals are dragging this down for me. Nice percussion with the blast beats. Guitars seem forgotten in either the mixing or just not focused on.

Last edited:
In 12th, earning 6.2 points: Nightmare

Sigh: Bring Back The Dead

Very interesting instrumentals brought to black metal, seems like horror movie esque instruments with the organ and such. It's hard for me to hear the growling the entire way through without any sort of variation even in tone or volume.

Last edited:
In 9th, earning 6.7 points: Granny Pie

Set It Off: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

A lot of Set it Off songs beat this one (especially off of Cinematics) but there's still stuff to like here. Manages to be angsty without being annoying. Bridge is a little over the top, the brass after the chorus (and the chorus itself) are nice and catchy. The song is a little scattered though.

In 8th, earning 6.8 points: Knights

Mindless Self Indulgence: 3S

Again, lots of different MSI songs beat this, but still a decent banger. Lyn Z's bass lines are always killer, and the drum had a nice industrial touch to it. Jimmy's vocals/writing is a little subpar here. Doesn't have as much of the craziness I love from them.

In 6th, earning 7 points: Asek

Nine Inch Nails: Mr. Self Destruct

This is an interesting and unique, but flawed, song. The pure unsheltered energy from the drums are palpable, and the vocals really take the part of the backing, led by the drums and sort of guitar. The break in the middle of the song really kills the vibe for me, and the ending just hurts my ears, which is where you were docked.

In 5th, earning 7.1 points: Walrein

Marilyn Manson: Mephistopheles of Los Angeles

Some of the Manson songs I've heard have been too much, but this one is a bit more restrained and with beautifully haunting vocals.Loses steam over the second half.

In 4th, earning 7.2 points: DLE

Grimes: Kill V. Maim

Genderfluid Time-travelling Vampiric Godfather is one of the greatest song concepts ever. I really dig her edge and how she's unafraid to experiment across the song. Don't like the chant parts that much, but the bridge is excellent. Well done doing a good job in a genre I hate.

In 3rd, earning 7.5 points: HealNDeal

Indorphine: Inside

The scratchy vocals make you really feel the pain in this song, yet its more subtle than a lot of the other submissions to this category. I don't like the record scratches and bridge vocals nearly as much as the rest of the track.

Last edited:
In 2nd, earning 7.6 points: Monde

Pink Floyd: Welcome to the Machine

When weaker Pink Floyd songs beat most of the competition . Haunting and edgy, the effects are quite literally out of this world. It suffers from wanting to throw a ton of cool sounding individual segments at you, but them not working quite as well cohesively as a song.

In 1st, earning 7.9 points: Paperblade

Tsunami Bomb: Say it if You Mean it

Nailed the Cali Pop Punk/Warped Tour sound I adore. Very direct and to the point, which I appreciate in a cat where lots of songs were showy and trying too hard. Girl's voice is great, and the writing on the song really pulls through to help you sympathize. Guitars are a good complement, I also like the softer bridge a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)