Tournament LCPL 6 - Commencement and Discussion

This was brought up on discord and I figured i'd put it here.

Fuck 6 tier matchups. We had the same format last year and there was a record number of draws. If there are only 6 games then the chance of 1 haxy game changing the weeks result is increased and that really sucks as a player.

If still possible to change things hopefully the managers can discuss this?
Stay tuned for a watermelon-themed solution to your problem!

Mock Draft Results!

@Mambot: Guerilla Goletts: [Money: -500 | Bidders: vubon] Players: tcr, star, idiotfrommmars, hantsuki, eniigma, p2, fitzy72, slurmz, serene's grace

@Mambot:
SphealNDeals: [Money: 510 | Bidders: healndeal] Players: steven snype, pd, trace, sparktrain, greengogoatttt, arifeen, thefenderstory, finchinator, fran17, quite quiet, jeran, nozzle, teddeh, itzviper482, altariel von sweep, arcticblast

@Mambot:
Superb Snivys: [Money: 0 | Bidders: merritty] Players: quote, ggggd, heysup, tazz, joltage, therealslap, drew, tdk, tarn66, bouff, silentmango

@Mambot:
Brazilian Buizels: [Money: 0 | Bidders: ggggd] Players: majaspic22, zorodark, rowan, vubon, pikasohn, kumiho, leru, tjdaas

@Mambot:
Quick Attack Doduos: [Money: 1000 | Bidders: starmaster] Players: dundies, teal6, atomicllamas, absdaddy, christo, flcl, -tsunami-, void, infamy

@Mambot:
Los GOAOs: [Money: 0 | Bidders: goao, trash] Players: nintendi, tricking, kushalos, endal, lax, oma, confide, ht

@Mambot:
Good Goomys: [Money: 2500 | Bidders: waterlessmelon, op, nineage] Players: tuo, zebraiken, miltankmilk, 067jox, rozes, nails, kenzo, eternal spirit, rumor

@Mambot:
Meme Jrs.: [Money: 0 | Bidders: infamy, basedinfamy, tko] Players: berks, ice tea, goao, rssp1, gummysaur, mk007, antgeezy, spin237

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
So apparently I just set the price to unban Missy at $79.99. If you would like to see Missy unbanned before the start of the LCPL, go to the GoFundMe page and donate. 5% of the proceeds will go to Jac, because he only has $7 to his name and he needs money to pay for college.

Last edited:

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Okay, so lately I've been seeing a lot of newer people getting stressed about LCPL. Just in general, getting picked up, screwing up big time in a team tournament. So as someone who's been on all sides of LCPL. Worrying about getting picked, to worrying about which team will pick me up, to worrying about which players I'll pick up, to hosting, I think it's fair for me to say that I've been around all sides of the table before. That being said, I'm going to share some of my advice for a newbie to LCPL. Some of this stuff might apply to some of the more seasoned people, but this is mainly for the people who haven't been drafted in LCPL before, or who didn't have a major part in LCPL before.

Stop bringing yourself down.
The absolute biggest thing that I've seen people doing is being their own worst critic; constantly complaining that they won't be picked up. I don't know if you're hoping that someone swoops in and says "Don't Worry, I'll Buy You", but that won't happen. You just need to hope that you will be picked up. That being said, there's absolutely no reason for you to say you have no chance of getting drafted. Instead of doing that, work towards getting picked up.

But Coco! How on earth do I do that?
Luckily for you, there's 3 easy steps to that.
  • Distinguish yourself from the other draft hopefuls.
Why should I pick you up over someone else? Do you have metagame knowledge that can support your teammates? Are you a good team rater? Can you help fix teams? Can you build exceptionally? Do you have a shiny badge that shows how much better you are than every other person in LC? Getting yourself out there as someone that's worth drafting puts you ahead of the pack, and managers notice that.
  • Do not get into conflicts with people.
This might seem like a no-brainer, but starting beef with people does not make you look good. Drama spreads fast, and it almost never looks good for you. One of the highlights of LCPL is the team environment, to this day, team's with good chemistry 3 years ago are still talked about in the highest regard. This is something that every manager strives for, and none of them want to take a risk on someone that's getting into conflicts. The inability to work with other people is something that managers will notice. Go vegan and set the beef aside, it's not going to help you get drafted.
  • Do not be annoying.
While this also might seem like a no-brainer, it's a very easy way to not get drafted. Constantly annoying a manager about tryouts, seeing if they need anything, asking about their draft plans, general "auth sucking". All of these things get very annoying, and quickly. While it might not seem so bad from your perspective, imagine it from the managers perspective. Getting your fifth message of the day, from someone that you really don't talk to normally; acting all buddy-buddy.

Remember: it's just a tournament, for a game. We're all people, well, most of us. There's no reason to attack your self-esteem over a game. LCPL is a fun and exciting time for everyone, so just try to enjoy yourselves and stop worrying about not getting picked up.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Remember: it's just a tournament, for a game. We're all people, well, most of us.
Yea, most of the managers are just people, but then there's me, the inhuman machine of death. After claiming an overwhelming victory alongside the Massive Stat-boosting Munnas last year, I simply cannot see the Belchsprouts falling anywhere short of absolutely dominating the competition this year as well. WaterlessMelon can call me "dumb and fat" all he wants, he knows he has nobody but himself to blame after handing out such an easy Noibat feast last season. That being said, it looks like we're up against some genuine competition this time around against the likes of the Goletts and the tkos - we might even need to untie our hands from behind our backs to intimidate our way to a Swiffer clean sweep through semis this season. Or maybe we won't, because I'll be co-managing with my former tutor, fellow LC Open champion, Kingler12345. You read that right: THE Kingler12345, warrior king among Little Cup legends, rumored to have slain over 12344 LC mains with his bare hands, who once knocked Starmaster flat simply by blinking in his general direction. As Kingler and I continue discuss which managers we like enough to not totally embarrass, the chances of the Belchsprouts being defeated for even a single week rapidly approaches zero. If you plan to be on the winning team this LCPL, then you better start praying to be on the Belchsprouts, because there's no other way to it.

Check out the Belchsprout discord while you're at it.

Yea, most of the managers are just people, but then there's me, the inhuman machine of death. After claiming an overwhelming victory alongside the Massive Stat-boosting Munnas last year, I simply cannot see the Belchsprouts falling anywhere short of absolutely dominating the competition this year as well. WaterlessMelon can call me "dumb and fat" all he wants, he knows he has nobody but himself to blame for that after handing out such an easy Noibat feast last season. That being said, it looks like we're up against some genuine competition this time around against the likes of the Goletts and the tkos - we might even need to untie our hands from behind our backs to intimidate our way to a Swiffer clean sweep through semis this season. Or maybe we won't, because I'll be co-managing with my former tutor, fellow LC Open champion, Kingler12345. You read that right: THE Kingler12345, warrior king among Little Cup legends, rumored to have slain over 12344 LC mains with his bare hands, who once knocked Starmaster flat simply by blinking in his general direction. As Kingler and I continue discuss which managers we like enough to not totally embarrass, the chances of the Belchsprouts being defeated for even a single week rapidly approaches zero. If you plan to be on the winning team this LCPL, then you better start praying to be on the Belchsprouts, because there's no other way to it.

GL all

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yea, most of the managers are just people, but then there's me, the inhuman machine of death. After claiming an overwhelming victory alongside the Massive Stat-boosting Munnas last year, I simply cannot see the Belchsprouts falling anywhere short of absolutely dominating the competition this year as well. WaterlessMelon can call me "dumb and fat" all he wants, he knows he has nobody but himself to blame after handing out such an easy Noibat feast last season. That being said, it looks like we're up against some genuine competition this time around against the likes of the Goletts and the tkos - we might even need to untie our hands from behind our backs to intimidate our way to a Swiffer clean sweep through semis this season. Or maybe we won't, because I'll be co-managing with my former tutor, fellow LC Open champion, Kingler12345. You read that right: THE Kingler12345, warrior king among Little Cup legends, rumored to have slain over 12344 LC mains with his bare hands, who once knocked Starmaster flat simply by blinking in his general direction. As Kingler and I continue discuss which managers we like enough to not totally embarrass, the chances of the Belchsprouts being defeated for even a single week rapidly approaches zero. If you plan to be on the winning team this LCPL, then you better start praying to be on the Belchsprouts, because there's no other way to it.

you have an adventure time avatar

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bo3 DPP.

Discuss.
Pros
  • More games let the best player win a series more often
  • More games means more games to watch which helps develop and sustain the meta
  • Experienced players already have a lot of teams so no worries there
Cons
  • Players who are less experienced or are subbed in suddenly will struggle significantly to prepare 3x the teams
  • More of a hassle for players with poor time zone alignment
  • Dealing with "we'll play g1 on thursday then g2/3 on saturday" is also a hassle, albeit less common
Unobjective Arguments
  • People may want to watch more DPP because they find it entertaining!
  • Managers may feel forced into spending more on their one DPP slot than they had planned!
  • Various other points I can't think of may come up!
As for my personal opinion, I'd love to see DPP as a Bo3 if the general consensus of the DPP players was in favor of it; however, it's never fun to see someone play a game begrudgingly. Maybe once the draft is finished there could be a survey of the prospective DPP players to get a better grasp of their preference? Who knows!

Every single one of those pros can apply to the other 3 metagames, you failed to mention why DPP should be BO3 while the others are BO1.

How about those of us lazy players that only want to play 1 game a week instead of preparing for 3? Yes as a tier inclined to HO style teams DPP games tend to go fast so I can see why you would like this but it's not nearly as bad as RBY (the main precedent for this) in terms of actual luck over player skill.

RE: BO3 DPP
Didn't we have this discussion last LCPL? I don't remember what the final decision was then, but i think it would be best to do what we did last year. For what it's worth though, I'm always inclined to more games.

RE: BO3 DPP
Didn't we have this discussion last LCPL? I don't remember what the final decision was then, but i think it would be best to do what we did last year. For what it's worth though, I'm always inclined to more games.
Last year was BO1, and I'd like to add that (if I even play DPP as I'm more of a sub for that tier) as a DPP player I feel that the meta isn't hyper-offense/lead/luck based enough to warrant the RBY treatment. I feel 1 battle relies on skill enough that we can keep BO1. If anything I think replacing one SM slot with a BO3 of SM/2 old gens would be a lot more fun to watch and would show a lot more skill, but that is besides the point and probably won't happen anyway.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Last year was BO1, and I'd like to add that (if I even play DPP as I'm more of a sub for that tier) as a DPP player I feel that the meta isn't hyper-offense/lead/luck based enough to warrant the RBY treatment. I feel 1 battle relies on skill enough that we can keep BO1. If anything I think replacing one SM slot with a BO3 of SM/2 old gens would be a lot more fun to watch and would show a lot more skill, but that is besides the point and probably won't happen anyway.
It was primarily Bo1 but players could agree to Bo3. Personally I think we should have a gentleman's rule for Bo3 in any format, but I don't necessarily feel like arguing for that. Also bo1 sucks.

1) isn't hyper-offense? then you haven't ever played it. I don't think there's a more hyper offensive tier in existence even including OMs unless there's a meta where you can only use explosion or something.

2) luck based, maybe not, but the games are really short and fast. We had this debate last year and I don't really mean to rehash it but I do think it would be more telling to see who wins a bo3 versus bo1 in a tier that takes like 5 minutes per game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)