LC Analysis Questions and Suggestions

WAIT. Will POIPOLE be allowed in LC? :O Altho, he seems like total ass. He's got no way to counter Steel-types, despite his high offense stats, unlike Naganadel, who gets Fire Blast.

Altariel von Sweep

They Who Laugh Last
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WAIT. Will POIPOLE be allowed in LC? :O Altho, he seems like total ass. He's got no way to counter Steel-types, despite his high offense stats, unlike Naganadel, who gets Fire Blast.
Unfortunately, it has been known that it's the same case as Type: Null; it's only obtainable at level 40, and it can't breed.

Snivy getting Defog makes the current Fomantis analysis entirely obsolete, since Snivy is now capable of running the same moves and has better bulk and Speed. Should probably be taken down (or replaced with a different set if someone manages to find a different niche for Fomantis).

Snivy getting Defog makes the current Fomantis analysis entirely obsolete, since Snivy is now capable of running the same moves and has better bulk and Speed. Should probably be taken down (or replaced with a different set if someone manages to find a different niche for Fomantis).
Shame. I liked Fomantis...

IMO Rockruff, despite being really bad in SM due to the lack of a setup move (aside from Howl, i guess) and Accelrock, now has somewhat of a niche with the introduction of Happy Hour and Sucker Punch into its movepool - the former providing a decent setup move, and the latter giving Rockruff a solid priority move. To preface this, I am not implying that Rockruff is a underlooked S+ tier, it's still somewhat average in practice, but this niche gives it enough to at least warrant an analysis. A sample set I'd say is:

Rockruff @ Normalium Z
Level: 5
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Happy Hour
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

EDIT: man, forgot the event came at level 10. rockruff is still terrible but it has sucker punch now, mb.
EDIT 2: It does get a niche in USUM though, suicide lead that gets Rocks up and it also gets Endeavor to dish some chip and Sucker Punch to clean it up if it lives that long.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
IMO Rockruff, despite being really bad in SM due to the lack of a setup move (aside from Howl, i guess) and Accelrock, now has somewhat of a niche with the introduction of Happy Hour and Sucker Punch into its movepool - the former providing a decent setup move, and the latter giving Rockruff a solid priority move. To preface this, I am not implying that Rockruff is a underlooked S+ tier, it's still somewhat average in practice, but this niche gives it enough to at least warrant an analysis. A sample set I'd say is:

Rockruff @ Normalium Z
Level: 5
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Happy Hour
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

EDIT: man, forgot the event came at level 10. rockruff is still terrible but it has sucker punch now, mb.
EDIT 2: It does get a niche in USUM though, suicide lead that gets Rocks up and it also gets Endeavor to dish some chip and Sucker Punch to clean it up if it lives that long.
I don't know where you are getting Happy Hour from. From what I can see, it doesn't look usable at Level 5. If you are implying that endeavor + rocks + priority is it's niche, that role is performed better (believe it or not) by Swinub, which has slightly lower defenses so is more likely to activate Endeavor and has more reliable priority to finish the job. That said, this niche is iffy at best, and I'm not saying Swinub deserves an analysis for it either. If you want just a general SR+endeavor user, Aron is easily the best because of its access to sturdy.

Tldr, I don't think rockruff is deserving of an analysis at this time

I don't know where you are getting Happy Hour from. From what I can see, it doesn't look usable at Level 5. If you are implying that endeavor + rocks + priority is it's niche, that role is performed better (believe it or not) by Swinub, which has slightly lower defenses so is more likely to activate Endeavor and has more reliable priority to finish the job. That said, this niche is iffy at best, and I'm not saying Swinub deserves an analysis for it either. If you want just a general SR+endeavor user, Aron is easily the best because of its access to sturdy.

Tldr, I don't think rockruff is deserving of an analysis at this time
Yep, I noted that in my first edit. Interesting for the latter - I didn't know Aron outright outclassed Ruff.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Like discussed, going to do a quick revamp of Snivy so that it has defog on sets.

[BCQ] Nineage-Today at 5:10 PM
add the mentions
get like
1 qc 1 gp
i would say

The lack of HP investment on the currently uploaded Bronzor analysis is puzzling to me. Bronzor is a Pokemon with low HP in comparison to its Defense and Special Defense, so it benefits greatly from HP investment, but this has not been done. Set Details states that the goal was to maximize physical bulk, in which case the spread used should be 220 HP / 4 Atk / 228 Def / 4 SpA / 12 Spe, which is objectively bulkier on the physical side in granting stats of 25 HP / 19 Def over 23 HP / 19 Def. Even using a spread which maximizes overall bulk of 220 HP / 4 Atk / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 148 SpD / 12 Spe grants more physical bulk than the currently uploaded spread:
  • 196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 64 HP / 228+ Def Bronzor: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 220 HP / 228+ Def Bronzor: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 220 HP / 100+ Def Bronzor: 24-30 (96 - 120%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
  • 196 SpA Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 64 HP / 148 SpD Bronzor: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 196 SpA Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 220 HP / 148 SpD Bronzor: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

As you said in this post, now that Litten's HA is released, I think it should be up for reservation. Seeing as how Alolan Dusky's been inactive since March of last year, could I take Litten up?

The lack of HP investment on the currently uploaded Bronzor analysis is puzzling to me. Bronzor is a Pokemon with low HP in comparison to its Defense and Special Defense, so it benefits greatly from HP investment, but this has not been done. Set Details states that the goal was to maximize physical bulk, in which case the spread used should be 220 HP / 4 Atk / 228 Def / 4 SpA / 12 Spe, which is objectively bulkier on the physical side in granting stats of 25 HP / 19 Def over 23 HP / 19 Def. Even using a spread which maximizes overall bulk of 220 HP / 4 Atk / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 148 SpD / 12 Spe grants more physical bulk than the currently uploaded spread:
  • 196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 64 HP / 228+ Def Bronzor: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 220 HP / 228+ Def Bronzor: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 220 HP / 100+ Def Bronzor: 24-30 (96 - 120%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
  • 196 SpA Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 64 HP / 148 SpD Bronzor: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 196 SpA Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 220 HP / 148 SpD Bronzor: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
I think this was just poor wording and that the EV spread is good (could be wrong here, not exactly super experienced with bronzor), I edited the description to better suit the spread. Thanks for the feedback!

As you said in this post, now that Litten's HA is released, I think it should be up for reservation. Seeing as how Alolan Dusky's been inactive since March of last year, could I take Litten up?
Littens still not really viable at all. It's basically a worse Growlithe, which is a worse Ponyta. I guess at the time I thought it'd be better than it is. I don't think we'll be giving it an analysis.

Nothing very original in this remark (I recognize that it's cosmetic) but it concerns Onix. Seeing his Smogon analysis, the two viables movesets (SturdyJuice and Weak Armor) are actually present and it's well mentioned that this is the best Stealth Rock user of the format (nothing to say for now). The small problem is that the introduction of the analysis is much too small and does not give the impression that it is one of the greatest top tiers of the LC (tied with Mienfoo and Vullaby ). It does not highlight for example that the buff of Weak Armor has "rocked" this pokemon. Snivy should also in my opinion be presented as one of the best counters since his access to Defog (which completely annihilates the role of Onix). After, I can be wrong and maybe the introduction is enough to go around. For the anecdote, I liked the rather ironic side of the analysis of BW, which presented Onix like this "It's one of the lucky Pokemon who, like Lickitung, received an evolution in a later generation and was originally designed to have stats by Pokemon in their last stage of evolution" (remember that it's a hundred times larger than all other mons of the format). Perhaps a sentence of the style "despite appearances, it is a baby mon" would be welcome (but again it's just cosmetic).

Can I suggest we add Choice Scarf Diglett to its analysis.

e: Corporal Levi going to post what makes it deserve an analysis here

* Choice Scarf Diglett out speeds every other viable Choice Scarf user making it able to revenge kill Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Pawniard, Magnemite and Chincou more effectively.
* Can Out Speed a lot of the boosted meta such as Ponyta after a Flame Charge, Weak Armour Vullaby after a Speed boost and Shell Smashers such as Shellder and Tirtouga.
* Option to fast memento on anything in the metagame other than the likes of Pawniard to better support set up Pokemon like Zigzagoon and Shell Smash users.
* As it is more efficient at trapping thanks to its ability to out speed mostly everything, it can cover common weakness' the team has when teambuilding.

I don't know how much justice I have done it as I couldn't think of much more to add right now about it as this is the unique stuff it can do better than any other diglett set.

Last edited:
Little correction in Grimer-Alola's analysis: On Grimer-Alola's main set, it seems like Fire Blast has been removed, and replaced with Fire Punch. Therefore, I suggest to replace every mention of Fire Blast in the analysis with Fire Punch, such as in the intro, other options, and checks and counters.

Potentially, it would maybe also be good to remove the part about Flamethrower over Fire Blast in Other Options, and maybe (?) to add Fire Blast in Other Options, but I would leave that to experts.

e: fixed, thank you. - levi

Last edited by a moderator:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
levi told me to post this here: http://prntscr.com/jmyaij

i suggest that alolan geodude gets a revamp as its seen a rise in usage recently in tours like lcpl, as a trapper that can remove both ferro and pawn

- the set right now on the analysis doesnt take advantage of geodudes niche in magnet pull, instead its just a mon that tries to be an offensive rocker but is just too slow to be one, and is inefficient at it as its outclassed by other rockers cause of this.
- while magnemite can also trap, and arguably better with the ability to pivot, alolan geodude has rocks which are always useful, and more importantly, avoids the 2hko from pawniard unlike magnemite due to its high defense stat which, and can try to set up rocks on pawn because of it.
- alolan geodude can also run both fire punch and superpower to cover both ferroseed and pawniard, whereas magnemite has to choose between one hidden power on whether it wants to kill ferro or pawn.
- alolan geodude works well on teams that struggle with the aforementioned steel types, as well as want something that can softcheck most birds.

alolan geodude has a clear well-defined niche, and i think it warrants a revamp.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon: Goomy With Gooey
Role: Slows down opposing pokemon and stalls
Format: LC SM
im not a qc member myself, but goomy is not a viable pokemon in the lc tier. as a wall, it has no reliable recovery, forcing it to use rest as a source of recovery, and poor base stats, especially defense, hindering its ability to take contact moves, contradicting its ability gooey. and while yes, goomy has sap sipper to make it immune to grass moves from pokemon like foongus and snivy, it has lackluster attacking stats making it very passive (it doesnt even learn flamethrower or fire blast to threaten foongus). theres really no reason to use goomy over other defensive mons like foongus and ferroseed, who have better defensive stats and an actual movepool to back themselves up, which is why it most likely will not get an analysis. its nice to see new users like you willing to contribute to the site; welcome to smogon and stick around in lc.

In Abra's Focus Sash set, the immediate export set runs 240 SpA and 200 Spe, even though it runs no Hidden Power. Potentially set the default to 236 SpA/76 SpD/196 Spe (cuz rip defense anyway) and say in Set details to change EVs if a Hidden Power is run.

In Elekid's analysis, in Team options, there is this sentence: "Entry hazards are more important for Elekid, as they can force switches, and the residual damage helps Elekid to knock out many Pokemon." It would make more sense to me if it were Elekid that forces switches rather than the entry hazards. Therefore, I suggest to change "they" to "it." Potentially remove the "more" as well, since it is misleading (suggesting that hazards are more important than a Grass teammate, or suggesting that hazards are more important for Elekid than for other mons).

fixed, thank you! - levi

Same problem as Sash Abra with Staryu's main set: the immediate export set runs 200 SpA and 240 Spe, even though it runs no Hidden Power. Potentially set the default to 76 Def/236 SpA/196 Spe. It does say to run that spread if not using HP Fire, but HP Fire is not on the main export, so maybe modify that to suggest the other spread if running HP Fire.

Fixed, thanks again! - levi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)