Tournament Last God Standing [CHAMPION: Chloe!]

Approved by The Immortal and Eevee General

[Source]
"Hello, child.

As your mother tucked you into bed at night, did she ever tell you that all Pokemon are equal?
That no matter the odds, the bond of friendship between a Pokemon and its trainer could make it the strongest creature in the world?

Your mother was a liar.

We are the Pokemon that were banished from Earth.
Humans feared our strength, and sent us away.
We are called many things: monsters, Ubers,
Gods.

All other Pokemon merely exist to serve us
And so do you.

But knowing that we are among the best does not comfort us
We wish to become gods among gods
And thus we fight
We fight until there is no one left standing.

Will you follow us?"
Description:
"Last God Standing" is a best-of-one, single-elimination, five-round Gods and Followers tournament where you are randomly assigned a god for the first round but are allowed to steal gods from defeated opponents in later rounds. The key to victory will be counter-building against your opponent's god by choosing ideal followers for the matchup. Please read the OP of the Gods and Followers thread [LINK] for information for the mechanics and rules of the OM, including the banlist, before signing up for this tournament. You do not need to be experienced with the Gods and Followers format to sign up! The link above has several resources for team-building, as well as replays that may include your god. If you have any questions about the format, don't hesitate to send me a VM or PM.

Format:
  1. You will fight your assigned opponent in a single battle using the Gods and Followers format on the ROM server [LINK]. If you do not use the Gods and Followers format, the match will be considered invalid. Unofficial servers other than ROM cannot be relied upon for hosting the most recent code, so please play your matches on that server. If the server becomes unavailable for whatever reason, let me know and I'll work out where to go from there.
  2. Prior to Round 1, each player will be randomly assigned a starting god from the below list. Players must use this Pokemon as their god during the first round, but are free to customize their followers however they like. You may also change gods between rounds (see "Post-Battle").
  3. For gods with a Mega or alternate form, players may use whichever form of their god they would like (excluding Arceus -- see list). For instance, if I'm assigned Groudon I can use either Primal Groudon or normal Groudon, and if I'm assigned Deoxys I can use its Normal, Attack, Defense or Speed forms. You do not need to announce this choice prior to the match.
  4. Winners will declare their victory by posting in the thread with a replay of the match. Matches without replays will be considered invalid.
These are the gods you may be assigned:
  1. Aegislash
  2. Arceus**
  3. Blaziken*
  4. Darkrai
  5. Deoxys*
  6. Dialga
  7. Genesect
  8. Gengar*
  9. Giratina*
  10. Greninja
  11. Groudon*
  12. Ho-oh
  13. Hoopa*
  14. Kangaskhan*
  15. Kyogre*
  16. Kyurem*
  17. Landorus*
  18. Latias*
  19. Latios*
  20. Lucario*
  21. Lugia
  22. Mawile*
  23. Mewtwo*
  24. Palkia
  25. Rayquaza
  26. Reshiram
  27. Salamence*
  28. Shaymin*
  29. Xerneas
  30. Yveltal
  31. Zekrom
  32. Wildcard***

*This Pokemon has multiple legal forms which may be used (no declaration required)
**Arceus: The player who has Arceus can choose whichever type they want to use, but must declare what type they are using in the thread prior to the start of the round.
***Wildcard: The player who has the Wildcard can choose any Pokemon not on this list to be their god (including Gothitelle and Wobbuffet w/Shadow Tag), but must declare it in the thread prior to the start of the round.

These stipulations are meant to stop players from gaining an unfair advantage by picking the perfect matchup depending on their opponent's god (for example, if I see my opponent is bringing Genesect, I can't pick Arceus-Fire after the matchup has been announced).

Post-Battle:
When a player announces their win in the thread (including activity wins and forfeits), they may choose one of two options:
  1. Keep: The player retains their current god for the next round
  2. Steal: The player steals the god of the opponent they just defeated for use in the next round. This decision is permanent (ex: if I win with Kyogre but steal Groudon for Round 2, I cannot chose to use Kyogre again in Round 3 -- I may only use Groudon or the god of my Round 2 opponent).
  • Declare: Players that keep or steal Arceus or the Wildcard must also declare the Arceus form or Wildcard Pokemon they will use in the next round at this time (explained above).
If a player fails to declare their choices by the start of the new round, it will be assumed that they wish to keep their god exactly as it was used in the previous round. Do not ask to make any changes after a new round has started.

Here's an example of a good post:
Defeated my opponent in a good game. Close one!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-godsandfollowers-238

I've decided to steal Arceus to use in the next round. I think I'll go with Arceus-Fairy.
Signups:
Exactly 32 players are needed for this tournament. So I know you actually read this whole post (you did read it, didn't you?), I'll only allow users that include the phrase "I will follow" in their post to enter the tournament. Any signups after the initial 32 will be added as substitutes. Subs will inherit the god choice and Arceus/Wildcard form of the user they took over for, but may build their team however they like. If by some miracle I get 32 substitutes I'll add a second bracket and figure out something for the sixth round. If you choose to sign up, please be considerate by thinking of how much availability you will have over the next six weeks. If you don't think you'll be able to complete your matches in a timely manner, please do not sign up. Follow valiantly, and may the best god win.

Last edited:
I've never really tried to get into Gods and Followers, it never really interested me, but I suppose there's no better time than a tournament in the OMs board to start. It helps that there's a random element to teambuilding in this tour so I won't have to spend all of my time deliberating about what I want to use for my god. Llow.

That counts, right? If not, I'll just say the phrase here: I will follow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)