Online Competition Johto X Alola [playable on PS!]

What are the best options for a player that just starts the game and doesn't have access to Mega Stones and Z cristals bar Normalium Z and Waterium Z but still can transfer things from XY/ORAS/SM ?
Protip : I'm this player
I'm in the same boat as you are in this situation. I might not have that much insight on the competitive scene, but I would say use whoever you are comfortable with using that fits the requirements and responds to the metagame. I just watch replays on Showdown and study up on who gets used a lot there.

In my case, I have Pokemon that I love using competitvely like Mega-Metagross, a bulky Alolan Marowak and Buginium-Z Golisopod in Sun, but I'm gonna transfer them over to USUM and tweak the movesets to better fit what I have. I hope this helps, Vif-Argent.

What are the best options for a player that just starts the game and doesn't have access to Mega Stones and Z cristals bar Normalium Z and Waterium Z but still can transfer things from XY/ORAS/SM ?
Protip : I'm this player
A rain team featuring with Pelliper/Politoed perhaps? Shouldn’t you have Fightium Z too?

Do we have a working list of Pokemon that are allowed in this format? Assuming we have 3 generations of Pokemon to work with, I don't see how Kang is not going to be on 90% of the teams. I'll try to compose the list on my own while attempting to speed run Pokemon Ultra Sun to play in this format.

I just realized. Are the Cap Pikachus eligible too?

Kang was nerfed thanks to Parental bond being 25% instead of 50%. Here's a list of eligible mons.
Thanks a lot. Give me a moment while I get everything together.

After a quick look and my understanding of VGC2017's metagame data, I have compiled the list of what I think are viable Pokemon. Admittedly not all of them are choices top players would make; some may even be Pokemon used by those below 1500. But feel free to edit or leave feedback as I continue to edit this file.

Hopefully some time in the future I get to do more of this for Online Competition players.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/155sl58Nw2-Yayixev0GtSs_bc-0k6W4_ialClhYTLIU/edit?usp=sharing

UPDATE: List has been completed.

Last edited:
Trying to build a team for this game, but I'm having troubles as to what to use. Every time I switch teams up, I encounter a team that directly counters my team. So I need advice on this hyper offensive team moving forward.

Naganadel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Protect

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Detect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

Persian-Alola @ Mago Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Snatch
- Foul Play
- Parting Shot

P.S. Doesn't help that no one practices on the ruleset in Showdown. I only had 4 battles the last 2 hours

Trying to build a team for this game, but I'm having troubles as to what to use. Every time I switch teams up, I encounter a team that directly counters my team. So I need advice on this hyper offensive team moving forward.

Naganadel @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Protect

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Detect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

Persian-Alola @ Mago Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Snatch
- Foul Play
- Parting Shot

P.S. Doesn't help that no one practices on the ruleset in Showdown. I only had 4 battles the last 2 hours
A little tip: Don't use Sludge Wave. It hits your partner in Doubles. Run Sludge Bomb instead (and you could run Tailwind instead of U-Turn by the way)

I'm in the same boat as you are in this situation. I might not have that much insight on the competitive scene, but I would say use whoever you are comfortable with using that fits the requirements and responds to the metagame. I just watch replays on Showdown and study up on who gets used a lot there.

In my case, I have Pokemon that I love using competitvely like Mega-Metagross, a bulky Alolan Marowak and Buginium-Z Golisopod in Sun, but I'm gonna transfer them over to USUM and tweak the movesets to better fit what I have. I hope this helps, Vif-Argent.
A rain team featuring with Pelliper/Politoed perhaps? Shouldn’t you have Fightium Z too?
I've everything up to Waterium Z so Fightium Z too. A Rain team is a good idea if you can develop it. Trick Room stuff looks like a good option too.

I hadn't even got to the Elite 4 yet in USUM and couldn't use Megas and many of the items and move tutor moves, so I just transferred from Moon and built a makeshift Rain team. It was surprisingly epic and I did pretty well with it.

Pelipper, Kingdra, Kabutops (rockium z), Klefki (prankster rain dance, toxic, aguav berry), Parasect (rage powder, dry skin, leftovers, spore), and Tapu Koko (Thunder). Was a glorious mess.

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 2.07.05 AM.png

Decided to publish my results to encourage discussion. I got 12th in the world, and 3rd in the US. Funny thing, the people who were above me was Demeantoid ( GG man ) who was second, and zonextreme on Showdown who got first. Breakdown:

Ampharos: One word finally!!! I remember getting this Ampharos as a Mareep from a wonder trade in Y, yet never got a chance to use it. This changes it entirely!!! Seriously though, Dragon Pulse and Thunderbolt are standard, while Focus Blast provides the best coverage, although in this meta game the 2 only targets are Porygon2 and Tyranitar, who are too bulky to break pass wth STAB options.

Pheromosa: I love Z-Focus Blast Phermosa! The ability to OHKO Mega-Metagross and Mawile is sooo nice. I ran timid to get the jump on M-Lop, who could outspeed you otherwise. The only problem was relying on an inaccurate Focus Blast was done. Also I made a mistake when soft-resetting on IVs, changing it to 93.8% of a OHKO.

Porygon2: The Premier TR setter. Nothing really too special, I ran Foul Play over Tbolt to help punish Snorlax who want to set up Belly Drums against Porygon2.

Nihilego: As I was testing, I had bad matchup against the likes of Pheromosa and Buzzwole, so what's the best answer? Ally Switch Nihilego!.. Okay maybe not, but still Ally Switch was really rewarding when played correctly, but requires prediction in order to be successful. I also wanted a fast room setter and an answer to Tapus, so Nihilego filled that niche perfectly, as well as being a hard answer to Volcarona and Charizard-Y.

Tapu Bulu: The glue that holds the team together. With high base power STABs and terrain control, Bulu is an impressive threat. I went with Superpower over Stone Edge is because I wanted accurate fighting type coverage.

Entei: I had to Speed run my Silver to get this Entei, in like 3 days. Regardless, it was worth it. I had been testing Incineroar, but I found it was too vulnerable too damage from Flare Blitz to keep it around. With the Assault Vest, Entei is really bulky, and served as a great Sun answer alongside Nihilego.

Videos: I can upload 10, I just learned, so I may will delete some to show off better fights.

Against a 1743 rated player had a mono-fairy team. Entei put in a lot of work.: EG5W-WWWW-WWWD-BDPK
The power of Z-Focus Blast!: 8R9G-WWWW-WWWD-BDPW
Things would have been different if I got that burn... I wonder if Ice Beam was Better at last match?: CYPW-WWWW-WWWD-BDZ9
The power of Entei: JZPG-WWWW-WWWD-BDNT
Vs Zonextreme. This match was pretty cool because we had played each other on Showdown, so we knew each other's teams: 8VZG-WWWW-WWWD-BDNY
The power of Ampharos: SLDG-WWWW-WWWD-BDNY Didn't expect follow me Blastoise though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)