Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o Discussion

This thing is on the edge of being good but unfortunately its not quite there. The simple addition of close combat would of done wonders and its attack and defense stats should of been switched. Game Freak messed up their pseudo legend again (why am I not surprised). Having said that, if it acquires drain punch through move tutors then it could actually run a decent niche in sub/bellydrum + salac berry (provided they actually exist in sun/moon, not sure).
After Tyranitar/Salamence/Garchomp/Hydreigon's long reigns of terror, I don't mind them not making every pseudo insanely good. Still disappointing this thing doesn't get a reliable fighting move yet but when move tutors come around, it's gunna be a whole different story.

Kommo-o has a lot of great tools at his disposal, such as Dragon Dance, Autotomize, Swords Dance, etc, but he's missing a lot of good things that should make him a good enough threat. He's lacking a lot of nice and powerful Fighting STABS, with his most powerful being Focus Blast, though that is somewhat unreliable due to it possibly missing... a lot, and his second most powerful being Sky Uppercut, which has decent power, but has a bit of an accuracy issue, though not as bad as Focus Blast, and doesn't pack as much of a punch as Close Combat. He has nice mixed stats, as well as access to Flash Cannon (which can be used as an alternative or with Poison Jab for Fairies, who would otherwise wreck Kommo-o up), alongside a lot of other options that give Kommo-o decent coverage and power. His bulk is also fairly solid at 75/125/105, so it looks like Kommo-o can take a couple good neutral or resisted hits before he calls it quits.

110/100 offenses are quite workable, though you won't punch many holes in a team without some EV investment and/or boosts, so do mind that. Clanging Scales is quite the move. -20 less power than Draco Meteor, but doesn't result in a power drop makes it quite a spammable move. The loss of defense is quite worrying at times because of the fact that you are easily revenge killed after a use or two, but because you don't lose power with each use, it can be fairly negligible under the right conditions.

85 speed is quite decent for this Gen. Lots of Pokes are slow this time around, and Kommo-o does have access to speed-boosting moves, so 85 speed is decent.

Anyways, I think Kommo-o has potential to be a good enough threat, but it's missing some good moves. The stat spread is quite good enough for what it's worth, so Kommo-o could do with going physical, special, or mixed, and taking hits won't be too much of a problem, except when Fairies are around, but maybe a Roseli Berry can mitigate it. Maybe give it some Fighting STABs like Close Combat and/or Cross Chop, or maybe Drain Punch for utility and longevity. Mach Punch could be useful for priority. More coverage moves like Gunk Shot, Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, the Elemental Punches (come on, now!), and maybe some other lil' additions like Aura Sphere, Calm Mind, and Knock Off.

Okay, that's good enough. Might be pushing it, though...

Bugger that, pseudos should be insanely good. They can usually only be caught after all 8 gyms, take forever to level up and evolve, and tend to be signaturemons of Champions or Elite Four members. #JusticeForKommo'o
That's true but I'd rather have it as just good rather than absolutely broken. Like most new gen Pokemon, Kommo-o needs move tutors to truly shine. If he get Superpower/Drain Punch/Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Iron Head and more from them(Which he honestly should..)he'll probably be amazing.

I think Kommo-o is really being underestimated. Its stat distribution and movepool are a little disappointing but it still has a lot of viable sets, 3 useful abilities, and a good set of resistances. This makes it unpredictable and difficult for opponents to prepare for. It kinda reminds me of Mega Altaria in the sense that it's not overwhelmingly powerful but still very solid.

The Belly Drum set is probably my favorite. It can demolish slower teams on its own since it has just the right coverage moves for the job. Just eliminate Unaware walls and there isn't much stopping it from cleaning house against slower teams. Fighting + Dragon + Poison is only resisted by Aegislash.

Kommo-o @ Normalium-Z
Ability: Soundproof / Overcoat / Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Sky Uppercut / Brick Break
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

Thanks to Z-Belly Drum, it doesn't need to be careful with its HP. All 3 abilities are viable on this set but my preference is Soundproof since it blocks Roar and Parting Shot.
I feel like this is a good set, but I don't really see the merit of belly drum z over sitrus. At best Sitrus leaves you with more hp at worse you're maybe a little below half.

I feel like this is a good set, but I don't really see the merit of belly drum z over sitrus. At best Sitrus leaves you with more hp at worse you're maybe a little below half.
Sitrus Berry is definitely an option, especially if you want to use your Z-Move on another team member. The main advantage of Z-Belly Drum is that it restores HP to 100% before deducting the 50% HP cost. This allows Belly Drum to be used below 50% health.

Sitrus Berry is definitely an option, especially if you want to use your Z-Move on another team member. The main advantage of Z-Belly Drum is that it restores HP to 100% before deducting the 50% HP cost. This allows Belly Drum to be used below 50% health.
Both seems equally viable, under different circumstances. Ideally you would want Sitrus to be at 75%, but going with Z-BD allows you to use the 'Mon slightly more aggressively throughout the match.

Both seems equally viable, under different circumstances. Ideally you would want Sitrus to be at 75%, but going with Z-BD allows you to use the 'Mon slightly more aggressively throughout the match.
Though from the team building perspective I feel like the Z-move use on a team would be better used else where. Especially if this thing is possibly a lower tier-man. Z-parting shot for example. If you have a Z-parting shot user on your team you can use sitrus berry, sweep with him and if he gets taken down considerably, pass him a full heal with Z-parting shot. This is only to give an example. Or slow pass him wishes. I just feel like the z-move slot is better used as a one shot team support or nuclear powered one off move than this.

Though from the team building perspective I feel like the Z-move use on a team would be better used else where. Especially if this thing is possibly a lower tier-man. Z-parting shot for example. If you have a Z-parting shot user on your team you can use sitrus berry, sweep with him and if he gets taken down considerably, pass him a full heal with Z-parting shot. This is only to give an example. Or slow pass him wishes. I just feel like the z-move slot is better used as a one shot team support or nuclear powered one off move than this.
If you can find another 'Mon that wants to run a Z-Move, then sure. I can't think of many situations where they won't just want their item. But I agree with you there.

If you can find another 'Mon that wants to run a Z-Move, then sure. I can't think of many situations where they won't just want their item. But I agree with you there.
I mean you're not wrong. I don't see Z-moves effecting the meta much. Some are really cool but most mons would prefer lefties or a choice/life orb over a one time nuke/ one time boost.

I mean you're not wrong. I don't see Z-moves effecting the meta much. Some are really cool but most mons would prefer lefties or a choice/life orb over a one time nuke/ one time boost.
And it isn't like the one-time boost is THAT significant over, say, Specs. But yea, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out for sure. At there very least, there will be a lot more potential for lures.

Just had to. Don't care much about the new gens, but this was one of the few guys I was giving a shit about, and man, what a buzzkill. After seeing the classic quad weakness typing like the old 600 BST model and a design I was definitely down with, I was expecting them to do the right thing with the stats.

I mean this could have easily been made in the 2nd or 3rd gen. I can even imagine how it would look in the classic watercolor style the Sugimori dude did back then. Such a great design.

Like fuck, 110/100/85 offensive stats? The attack is bad enough, but shaft the speed too? At least the motherfucker can be 95 or some shit, anything helps. And Rock Polish is bleh because of the balanced attack stats.

UU obviously, but I was just hoping for a new 600 dragon to tear around standard play. Just too slow, not strong enough, and they went out of their way to cap its movepool. That's three duds in a row since overhauling with Hydreigon in BW. Damn shame because Bulletproof and Soundproof are pretty clutch for fulfilling both flavor and utility. They had one job for me and they fucked it up.
Whelp that's GF for you nerfing every possibility of a good dragon type since 2013. I swear ever since gen 6 these games have just been going downhill fast.

Quick drop-in again. About the Shell Smash on the NPC issue. Wasn't there something about the NPCs cheating in the Gen 6 post-E4 battle facility by sometimes having two items on Pokemon? Thought I read talk of that some while ago.

I want to prove a set with Automatize, Z-Belly Drum, Outrage and Poison Jab for fairies. Adamant Nature and trust in the good bulk. First Automatize, then Z-Belly to recover full health and then sweep with Outrage.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Quick drop-in again. About the Shell Smash on the NPC issue. Wasn't there something about the NPCs cheating in the Gen 6 post-E4 battle facility by sometimes having two items on Pokemon? Thought I read talk of that some while ago.
No, that didn't happen, and it's well-documented (check the Battle Maison thread, all Pokémon with items, stats and movesets are listed there). Some Battle Maison Pokémon have abilities or moves that were unobtainable in XY (which all were later released or obtainable in ORAS), but that's as far as the "cheating" went. No instance of the Maison actually cheating has ever been documented.

Very mediocre and disappointing. The argument that 'it can setup in so many different ways!!!' is eclipsed by the fact that there are other, more specialized Pokemon that can setup more effectively in a specific category. For example, if I want a dragon dance sweeper for my OU team, why not pick Dragonite? It has a comparable movepool and coverage, much more power, and more setup opportunities due to roost and multiscale. If I want a mixed wallbreaker, I'll just use Hydreigon, which has similar coverage, recovery, u-turn and higher speed. Also having no decent physical fighting STAB is a joke -- it is literally walled by type which its secondary typing exists to beat (steel types).

This is really a case of a jack of all trades, master of none type of Pokemon. These Pokemon are never that good because they are always outclassed by a more specific and specialized Pokemon that can perform a role more effectively. At least Goodra has a new friend to cry with.

Very mediocre and disappointing. The argument that 'it can setup in so many different ways!!!' is eclipsed by the fact that there are other, more specialized Pokemon that can setup more effectively in a specific category. For example, if I want a dragon dance sweeper for my OU team, why not pick Dragonite? It has a comparable movepool and coverage, much more power, and more setup opportunities due to roost and multiscale. If I want a mixed wallbreaker, I'll just use Hydreigon, which has similar coverage, recovery, u-turn and higher speed. Also having no decent physical fighting STAB is a joke -- it is literally walled by type which its secondary typing exists to beat (steel types).

This is really a case of a jack of all trades, master of none type of Pokemon. These Pokemon are never that good because they are always outclassed by a more specific and specialized Pokemon that can perform a role more effectively. At least Goodra has a new friend to cry with.
Sky Uppercut is not a bad move at all. 85 base power makes it stronger than Dragon Claw.

So yeah, it actually has a secondary STAB move to use, unlike Dragonite. Also it resists Stealth Rock, which Dragonite is weak to. And not being 4X weak to Ice Shard is nice for a sweeper.

Dragonite is very predictable. Kommo-o looks to be far more versatile, and that in itself can be more threatening than any one set. You might be in a situation where a DD Kommo-o can sweep your team, forcing you into a check. Then he hits you with a Life Orb Clanging Scales and all of a sudden u got pranked nerd.

Regardless, we don't know the status of Shell Smash on this mon. Its stats may have been balanced around this move, so don't count him out just yet.

Last edited:
After Tyranitar/Salamence/Garchomp/Hydreigon's long reigns of terror, I don't mind them not making every pseudo insanely good. Still disappointing this thing doesn't get a reliable fighting move yet but when move tutors come around, it's gunna be a whole different story.
Hydreigon never had a "reign of terror". Tyranitar was always good but not broken. Garchomp and Salamence...yeah, you got me there xD

Is it even possible for shell smash to have been missed in the datamine? I'm just wondering how likely it is for this thing to still get it somehow.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is it even possible for shell smash to have been missed in the datamine? I'm just wondering how likely it is for this thing to still get it somehow.
This has happened before with Volt Tackle; however, no one has found a source outside of that fight where it learns Shell Smash.

Furthermore, I would like to remind people that Fighting-typing gives nice breathing room for setting up against different threats. I actually think in the lower tiers this mon will be a decent threat because of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)