Ingame Articles for 1st-4th Gen

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Introduction

Due to Smogon's long established preference for competitive play, many aspects of the game are ignored on the main site. Meaning that for the most part, the site assumes that the players are self sufficient enough to find other resources for content related to actual cartridge play.

This means that there are a lot of resources relating to the subject matter spread out over the internet, and may even mean that some of these resources don't even exist. Sites such as Serebii are vague and do not provide enough information, while sources from sites like GameFAQs tend to be concentrated on walkthroughs rather than providing information. The purpose of this project is to gather all the resources from the internet so we can find it all in one place - Smogon, and to create resources that are still needed.

The purpose of this project is to bolster Smogon's coverage of ingame content that is relevant to competitive play. This means that any information we put on the site must be relevant to the competitive player who is playing on the cartridge. Keep this in mind as you suggest new ideas or write new content. Know your audience.

Luckily, we already have a good coverage of ingame material. However, I find that there's more than we can do to make the information we have "complete". Here's the stuff that needs to be done.

Breeding Guides

The DP one needs to be updated with Platinum info
HG/SS Guide

RNG
finishing part 6 - for54years - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64925
updating Plat Roaming NPC - timetwister - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63090

List of Glitches - The myriad glitches (that are related competitively) should be archived. Things like Missingno from RB, Weather Glitch, Ditto Egg Moves, etc. These glitches should be WELL RESEARCHED.

List of Glitches 3rd Gen
List of Glitches 2nd Gen
List of Glitches 1st Gen

Tips and Tricks

HGSS - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69226 by macle
1st gen - by xia http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76269

Catching Legendaries for RSE by Nexus http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82932

In-Game Tiers - Tiers based on how useful a Pokemon is ingame. Discussion threads are linked, articles will be linked as they come up.

In-Game Tiers RBY - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60251 Mekkah - Zy
In-Game Tiers FRLG - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83292 - jublilee
In-Game Tiers RSE - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66729 Fireburn
In-Game Tiers DP - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83380 - jublilee
In-Game Tiers Platinum - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83381 jubilee
In- Game tiers Colo and XD - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66835 Fireburn
In-Game Tiers HGSS - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68448 CM - need someone with pokewalker skills

Speedrun Guides/Tips - How to approach the game if you are to speed run the game. We need this for the ADV games, the XD games, and the DS generation games.

Location Maps - We want a world map that points to the location of competitive items and for move tutors, for Platinum, FR/LG, and Emerald. This world map needs to be drawn of course. The map should be a supplement to a simple list of the items/move tutors and their locations. Led by Legacy Raider and Sarenji.

Location Maps DPP - Need screenshots, map integration.
Location Maps RSE - Need map integration.
Location Maps FRLG - Need map integration.
Location Maps HGSS - Need screenshots, locations, descriptions, and map integration.

Little Cup Breeding Guide - zari

Battle Tower/Frontier

Records - Peterko's OP in Stark Mountain
Useful Information - Needs to be programmed into the site so it's searchable. Obviously we need someone who already has access the the site, and have done stuff like this before.
Carl said:
The tower has many subsets to it but for starters we should focus on the standard singles portion and branch from there. Things like Doubles, Multi and WiFi are less played as shown by the records thread and don't give you a print to say you've "completed part of the Frontier" so those can be put on the back burner for now. I think all of them give ribbons at certain points though so we can at least include that. Actually, doubles should probably get some love right away, too, but the focus should be getting singles up asap.

- We have the "master list" of all pokemon and sets which should be put into table form much like the pokemon listings for tiers for both DP and Plat
- A common question is "what pokemon/moves does the Tycoon have" so this should be mentioned specifically for both DP and Plat
- A successful moveset article perhaps. There are certain tried and true pokemon for the BT such as Counter/DBond/Shadow Ball/Bolt @Sash Gengar so a collection of known successful sets with basic descriptions should be sufficient
- items guide
- Trick is still by far and away the best strategy so this needs its own article. Jump is really the best candidate for this specific job.
- How much BP you earn per set of 7 and whatnot along with what pokemon ribbons you get and how many battles you need to complete to obtain them.
- we'll need most of the above applied to doubles as well

Battle Arcade:
- A short description of the differences between Arcade and Tower
- A listing of all the symbols and what they mean when you're doing the roulette thing.
- Shares the same pokemon listing as the Tower but without items IIRC.
- Dahlia's pokemon listing
- Any other general strategies

Battle Castle:
- Again, differences between the Tower and Castle
- Someone wrote a good guide on how to hoard a lot of Castle Points early so if we could dig that up and edit/add to it that would be excellent.
- Darach's pokemon listing
- Castle doubles only uses 3 pokemon still so this is definitely exploitable.. something on that maybe

Battle Factory:
- We also have the master list for this. Maybe we should split it for what you'll only see in level 50 vs open.
- listings of the selective information given per round of 7 and maybe an example
- general strategy/how to approach the Factory article

Battle Hall:
- battle hall pokemon listing
- A description of how the 1v1 format works
- A description of how the 1v1 doubles format works
- best ways to approach the hall with tried and true pokemon (order of types to take on, etc) for both singles and doubles
- some sort of article on the important items (sash, scarf, band/specs) and why they are superior
This is our current outline. Threads have been set up on their respective forums to gather information, and we'll be setting up more threads here soon. Your contribution will be appreciated.

If you have any more ideas that you think Smogon should cover, please post them here. Just note that if it goes against the purpose of this project, it will be deleted and ignored.

Who to Contact:

Other than the people listed as being "charge" of an article, here are some members you should contact to get involved!

General Ideas - mingot and macle
Battle Tower - Carl, Peterko
HTMLization - mingot, Jimbo
Grammar Checking - Help wanted.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please note that anything that does not supplement competitive Pokemon will not be covered by this project.

KD perhaps it would be a better idea to just sort through the old RS Item Locations article I posted before.

Also in case anyone is interested DP Item Locations. Sadly I haven't gotten around to do an LG/FR one, feel free to knock yourself out with that one (KD).

Thanks ^^.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please pay attention to the outline, and volunteer for what is needed. We need those things for every gen, so if you would like to lead up a project for a certain project please let us know. I cleaned this thread up - if I made your post disappear and you were volunteering, please post it again. If you have ideas, please let us know and post on this thread or PM mingot or me.

Secondly, I would appreciate it if people concentrated on one article at a time, unless you have shown us a history of contributing. I rather not have people try and put too much on their plates and end up getting nothing done, after all.

A note on speedrun guides - it's not really a guide per say, but more similar to a series of tips. What is the optimal route? When should you do certain events? Are certain items worth picking up? Things like that. I don't believe that we should be teaching users how to play an RPG, but just help readers optimize their times. Please send mingot or I some sort of general list, and we'll let you guys work on it on this forum.

That is all.

I'm just clarifying that the EVing Hotspots List is in the process of HTMLization. All credit goes to jumpluff for doing this. Thanks!

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Renewed call for volunteers -- These are some tasks that can help get some of the current projects past the goal line. Help out if you can!

We need screen shotters for the item locations in Platinum. This is a pretty job, so if you want to take it on be prepared for a complete playthrough to get everything you are going to need.

We need folks who have access to an Emerald guide to give nice item location descriptions (similar to those in the post linked above) for everything in the current list. Xia is busy right now so is a little behind. I am sure he would appreciate the help.

In the FR/LG location guide we need locations and location descriptions for the competitive items. Take a look at what is currently up and you will see which of these need to be updated. We also need Pictures for all of the item locations, and again this is a large task.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
Hey everyone.

The project is going along great, despite the fact that it has slowed down quite a bit -this is because we're lacking people to grammar check and HTMLize many of the articles that will be ready soon.

So please help out! We'll be working on making the ingame section on the site, so you'll be able to see all of these on the site soon. But before that can happen, we need your help - whether that be grammar checking, HTMLizing, Taking screenshots, or taking charge of other projects.

Thanks a lot!

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Posting to say that the TM list in the Emerald Location Maps thread is nearly completed, while the entire thread has been reformatted to better match the Platinum thread.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
After receiving confirmation from mingot, I've decided to start the GSC Tips and Tricks project thread.

Hey everyone.

The project is going along great, despite the fact that it has slowed down quite a bit -this is because we're lacking people to grammar check and HTMLize many of the articles that will be ready soon.

So please help out! We'll be working on making the ingame section on the site, so you'll be able to see all of these on the site soon. But before that can happen, we need your help - whether that be grammar checking, HTMLizing, Taking screenshots, or taking charge of other projects.

Thanks a lot!

I'm volunteering to do a number of grammar checks and hopefully speed up the whole process of uploading each and every article as a result. I can't wait for the in-game section to pop up on-site! I'll volunteer to proofread the following for now:
  • Arseus Guides?? by Arseus (done - changes sent directly to mingot)
  • Little Cup EV Guide by eric the espeon (done until author updates it)
  • 3rd Generation Tips and Tricks by Malfunction (done)
Edit: Hmm,what else to do? Looks like someone got on 4th gen tips already.
Great job everyone!!

Edit2: By the way, I'm kind of curious as to where my EV manual will go...the in-game section or the main DP articles section?
Edit3: I'm not that good at HTMLizing but I'll try to help do a few things. I'll get in contact with some people to see if I can have the green light.

Project Description

As per mingot's request, I have drafted up a description of this project to be used on the main site at http://www.smogon.com/ingame/:

At its core, Pokémon is a game that you can take with you anywhere; on your Game Boy or your Nintendo DS. To reflect this, Smogon has an entire section dedicated to the most competitive experience possible on physical Pokémon cartidges. Whether you want to impress your friends when you whip out your shiny Palkia, or if you want to conquer the Battle Frontier, there is an article written by one of Smogon's own community members that will meet your needs. Of course, since Smogon is the premier website for competitive Pokémon, you can be sure that all the information you will find has been rigourously tested by diligent authors and researchers.

Smogon is dedicated to the competitive aspects of Pokémon, and the content of the In-Game section stays true to this philosophy. The articles here will give you the knowledge required to breed and capture Pokémon with natures and IVs fit for any given set. They will walk you through the process of giving your Pokémon the EVs it will need to reach its full competitive potential. They can provide you with the knowledge needed to create a team that will rip through the Battle Tower, or provide you with a comprehensive database of the Pokémon that you will find there. They may even come in the form of item lists that will help you locate the items that will help your Pokémon gain the upper hand in battle. The only things that will not be covered by Smogon's experts are the diversions not related to competitive battles; while Contests and the Pokéthlon may be fun, they do not relate to battle, and do not fall within the Smogon University syllabus.

Pokémon is a game with countless nuances, so the in-game coverage is constantly expanding and evolving, much like the monsters themselves. If you would like to help provide the most detailed competitive articles on the Internet, check out the In-Game Expansion project on the forums. We hope you find a way to make use of the information found here at Smogon University.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This description has been added to the main page.

Per a request from erodent, I am going to be going through the OP and updating each article with a status so that folks who want to pitch in can have a better idea of what is still outstanding.

I am quite willing to volunteer to write guides on all things PBR. Just assign me a task and I'll try my best to complete it. I'm pretty new to smogon and I'm not 100% familiar with how things are done on smogon, but am willing to help out.

mingot

free agent
I am quite willing to volunteer to write guides on all things PBR. Just assign me a task and I'll try my best to complete it. I'm pretty new to smogon and I'm not 100% familiar with how things are done on smogon, but am willing to help out.
A simple article on the PBR 3V3 Format and Rules would be great.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just thought I'd mention that a majority (if not all) of the competitively-minded glitches for GSC have been included in the Tips and Tricks article. Another guide would most likely be frivolous (any glitches I've missed could just be added to the T&T), meaning the Gen II Glitch List is nearly finished.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Awful bump, but I'd mentioned it to macle on IRC first.

I'm going to write a guide to the Crystal Battle Tower. The reason for runnng through it? Vitamins. This is an alternative source of vitamins, and is also a Battle Tower, so I feel it deserves a guide.

EDIT: macle approved on IRC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)