Inevitable Problems that America Faces?

Without any intervention from anyone, or anything, are there any 100% surefire problems that will happen considering the direction America is going?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Without intervention as in we continue repeating every day and nothing changes ever? Or the existing problems remain but nobody makes anything worse?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personal experience. Look in any middle school or ask any teacher.
Actually, the opposite is true. Personal experience.

I would say the two biggest problems are the USA long-term debt (not defecit, i.e. the year-to-year amount of money we own, which is offset by the amount of goods we produce), which rises at a slow rate but unless we can increase productivity and curb spending CAN grow to unsustainable heights in several decades, and of course global temperature increases. It's unknown as to how quickly the temperature will continue to rise and / or the sea levels rise depending on which model you ask, but if we don't do ANYTHING then we'll certainly see a drastic change eventually.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Actually, the opposite is true. Personal experience.

I would say the two biggest problems are the USA long-term debt (not defecit, i.e. the year-to-year amount of money we own, which is offset by the amount of goods we produce), which rises at a slow rate but unless we can increase productivity and curb spending CAN grow to unsustainable heights in several decades, and of course global temperature increases. It's unknown as to how quickly the temperature will continue to rise and / or the sea levels rise depending on which model you ask, but if we don't do ANYTHING then we'll certainly see a drastic change eventually.

America is the most in debt country in the entire world right now....14.6 Trillion USD in Debt.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What Ben said.

Also aggravating all of this-- progress, ironically.

Scientific research will only speed up. Technology will only progress. The way that progression affects our various systems will increasingly have a greater impact-- on the very same issues that are most critical now.

On health-- technology's progression of course has the potential to make things better, but also worse. We talk about the increasing costs of health care, but it's not all an issue about insurance. The driving factor, which will take an even more prominent role going forward-- is that there is simply increasingly more and more we can do to our bodies and with our health with the medical technology that is appearing. If we culturally continue to believe that every patient should have access to the best-- that we do everything we can for sick people from a moral standing-- that will become more and more resource intensive as more and more becomes technologically possible. We are looking at a golden revolution of what is possible with gene therapy and AI in medicine. It will not come cheap, and it will not bring easy conversations-- ones that we are not even prepared to get to considering we've failed to even work out what to even do with our health care as it stands now.

On jobs-- this is the big one of course. Automation is going to be the biggest transformer of jobs in the market going forward (not globalization). Whether you believe in the need for UBI (Universal Basic Income), or transformation of the education system, or both-- technology will continue to both make old forms of labor obsolete, create huge demands for highly technical and niche roles we are not prepared to fill skill-wise in the market, and also may play a big role in helping us address these issues. It is up to us to be able to seize both on the opportunities and act quickly to prepare society for the risks. Right now, I don't see us succeeding in either.

And of course, changes in technology will play huge roles in environmental issues, infrastructure needs, and a host of other key topics.

We need to start talking more about the elephant in the room. This has got to be more important to the American people than guns or abortion.

45th POTUS and racism go hand in hand. Look no further than his response to Charlottesville and his pardon of Arpaio.
Bullying is also another issue facing Americans (which the Pres does too).

The extremists on both political sides are a huge problem to this country atm. Both extreme liberals (let's just call em communist sympathizers) and extreme conservatives (let's just call em nazi sympathizers) are both going too far to spread ideas that will not work and have no place in America.

You equate the two groups. You know the big differences?
1) 'The extreme left' doesn't have too many people, compared to, say, the Tea Party which has infiltrated local and national government. And yes, I am calling alt-right an extreme political organization.
2) The 'extreme left' doesn't have a major voice in politics (the Presidential office, for example) that caters to the masses and tries to normalize nonsense and extremism.
3) The extreme left didn't shoot at or kill anyone. Compared to Charlottesville where a person ran over counterprotestors, killing one and injuring 100 iirc.

You equate the two groups. You know the big differences?
1) 'The extreme left' doesn't have too many people, compared to, say, the Tea Party which has infiltrated local and national government. And yes, I am calling alt-right an extreme political organization.
2) The 'extreme left' doesn't have a major voice in politics (the Presidential office, for example) that caters to the masses and tries to normalize nonsense and extremism.
3) The extreme left didn't shoot at or kill anyone. Compared to Charlottesville where a person ran over counterprotestors, killing one and injuring 100 iirc.

1) That's just factually incorrect. There are many people in the group I and others would consider "the extreme left", such as extremists within BLM and groups like ANTIFA. Would you not consider those "extreme political organizations"?

2) Also wrong. The extreme left does have a huge voice in politics, characterized by the leftist mindsets and policies being adopted by many in America such as "White people can't be racist" or "let illegal immigrants be pandered and let it slide". The media is mainly leftist and in charge of what opinions (and facts) get across to the American people with how despised the president is by many groups.

3) LOL NICE TRY, remember this? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...sman-others-shot-baseball-practice/102838314/

edit: also G20 riots in Hamburg

Last edited:
1) You're referring to individuals in BLM and ANTIFA, both groups whose purposes are for democratic purposes (equality and standing against facism in this case). Doesn't necessarily mean the groups are bad. I can't say the same of white nationalism, neo-Nazi-ism, or the KKK. The alt right (Tea Party for example), while not necessarily any of these, was born out of anger at the establishment Republicans, and thus has a negative platform.
2) I never knew 'white people can't be racist' is a leftist view and not common sense. And the immigration view is not that clear cut for leftists. And CNN typically is a good source for facts (though they decide to have pundits debate, not a fan of it). I like MSNBC but don't always agree with them (Rachel Maddow for example). FOX is definitely running an agenda, though (the Sheppard guy being an exception, though); I'm disgusted by The Five, Hannity and a few others by their disgusting, bullying analyses and omission of topics other organizations are all covering.
3) The baseball game shooting was a tragedy and the actions of that unhinged person are indefensible and awful. However, this was an isolated incident and wasn't encouraged by anyone. Charlottesville had white supremists, Neo Nazis, KKK members, etc go with the intention to incite violence, whicb should've nullified their protest permit. They came with torches, Nazi symbols, shields and sticks; they anticipated a fight. This death and injuries could've been prevented. Also that one guy who was in communication with that glasses woman from CNN (who got arrested shortly after Charlottesville) called the death 'just.'

Edit: Did additional research. The article I looked at says that ANTIFA's objective is to physically confront white supremists and Nazis. I stand corrected about that group. However, despite that, they cannot be equated to neo-Nazis, KKK or the like. And the article states that the alt-right is a racist movement, and that there's no such thing as alt-left.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Social Security
Medicare
Medicaid

I'd make a joke about them, but you won't get it.

Also will people who post from their iPhones at the Starbucks Cafe with Free WiFi PLEASE stop saying capitalism is a problem, mmkay? Your entire lifestyle is the result of capitalist "greed" to provide new products at the lowest price above cost that the market will bear.
Capitalism is the "problem" that keeps on solving its own problems because rich people (in the broad geopolitical sense, not the Bill Gates and George Soros sense) have enough resources to solve acute issues like pollution, socialized costs, etc.
You have alternatives and their most recent test run was Venezuela.

Or you can align with the Antifa Commie thugs who are worse than the Neo Nazis, and support an ideology MORE murderous historically than the one the Neo Nazis support. The Neo-Nazis don't justify their physical violence against everyone else by saying it's for a good cause, they flat out state they want a discriminatory society and will use violence to achieve that end. Antifa says they can throw bottles full of piss and shit at random beat cops in Boston because they also throw them at Nazis, and as long as you hate Nazis you too are Antifa. Antifa and Neo Nazis are two far-left political-ideological groups that just want to give you universal health care and good light rail service unless you're black / Jewish (Neo-Nazis) or speak any utterance against the glorious Communist regime and Dear Leader (Antifa). It's the false choice between Auschwitz and The Gulag Archipelago.

And as long as people keep pretending either Antifa or Communism are morally justified or intellectually defensible, I guess you can count that as an inevitable problem too.

Also will people who post from their iPhones at the Starbucks Cafe with Free WiFi PLEASE stop saying capitalism is a problem, mmkay? Your entire lifestyle is the result of capitalist "greed" to provide new products at the lowest price above cost that the market will bear.
actually paid for at home with my internet plan and a pc i own. Our entire lifestyle is a result of capitalism because we live in a capitalist society? You don't say.

You heard it here folks: can't criticize or point out any issues with a society because you were born and raised in that society, thus you can't want to change any of it at all because reasons
god libertarians are some of the dumbest people ever

Anyway, will have to say emboldened neo-nazi's and the alt-right in general are gonna be even more of an issue from what everything looks like, considering what your president is and what he considers important. Of course, there's also other issues, but feel liek thats an easy one to grasp and understand right now

EV

Banned deucer.
Or you can align with the Antifa Commie thugs who are worse than the Neo Nazis, and support an ideology MORE murderous historically than the one the Neo Nazis support. The Neo-Nazis don't justify their physical violence against everyone else by saying it's for a good cause, they flat out state they want a discriminatory society and will use violence to achieve that end. Antifa says they can throw bottles full of piss and shit at random beat cops in Boston because they also throw them at Nazis, and as long as you hate Nazis you too are Antifa.
Suddenly throwing poop and pee is worse than genocide.

deck_knight.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)