SM OU I'M LIKE A BIRD

z0mOG

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 26 Championis a defending SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
DPL Champion

more epik unrelated muzac o.0

I chose to make one on this team as I haven't written anything in a while, and I've found myself laddering a lot recently. I made it to #2 with this team (got haxed in my game to #1 and tilted like 80 ELO haha) and it has just been one of my favorite builds in USUM so far. I've played somewhere between 80-100 games with this team so far just between ladder and friendlies.

General process:
I wanted to build a team around CB Stakataka. The 5 mons not including Mawile-Mega were all the same... just had a CB Stakataka instead. After some games I realized it did nothing, and this team much rather would have the intimidate from Mega Maw than a useless rock, so I made the change. I felt like Lele was a nice partner with Stakataka originally, to act as a special breaker which complimented Ash Gren. Other than that Scarf Lando/Tangrowth/Heatran defensive blah blah

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch / Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

When I use this team, I run it with ice punch and drop sucker. I have Lele which already nerfs my ability to use priority, +having the Lando-T lure is nice. Ice Punch also helps a lot more vs. stall as far as hitting Gliscor, Zapdos, and Tang/Amoonguss (I generally use this team for ladder, so I face stall a lot (looking at you Googly )). Swords dance is nice for being able to run through more fat teams, and just the optimal fourth move. The EV spread I chose is just enough to outspeed Skarmory. I wanted to have as much HP as I could (without sacrificing too much speed) in order to help out vs Hawlucha and Gyarados, my 2 biggest threats. Feel free to swap out ice for sucker, but it's just not my ideal.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

For whatever reason, Tangrowth's usage has just completely died in USUM / late SM. I think Tangrowth is currently at its strongest actually, being able to reliably wall Tapu Koko, Greninja, and act as a blanket switch in for Kartana and some other physical attackers like Zygarde/Gyarados. Max-Max AV is the spread to just make sure I can be reliably tanking hits from Koko and Greninja as best as possible. The first three moves are staples, the only free choice one being the last slot. I tend to use Sludge Bomb > EQ to help reliably beat Tapu Bulu and spread poison vs. things like Zapdos (which is more helpful than it might sound). Offensive Bulu's usage is down right now, which would make EQ a nice choice as this team doesn't love facing Heatran, but its preference really. I just outplay Heatran users, although for all of you low IQ noobs I suggest EQ.

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Toxapex beater. The main goal of Heatran on this team (and being the rocker). Removing Toxapex is very very important for Ash Greninja to sweep vs. most teams, and Toxic Spikes can be very annoying to deal with, as it effects 3 things, one of which is Tangrowth. Since Landorus-T is scarfed and my only option for removing hazards, I put the rocks on Heatran. Because it is Z-Earth Power, I can safely setup rocks vs. Toxapex after a magma storm and still be able to kill it the turn after. Z-Earth power is also nice for chipping down things like Zygarde/Tyranitar (and I had no better Z user anyways). Very helpful in the stall matchup as well, as I can often trap chansey and win with Lele.

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

Standard same old shit Greninja. I can't really add much about it- it's just the staple water type sweeper. Hydro Pump > Surf for OHKO's pre-mega on Medicham, Maw, and some other things. Power>Accuracy always. Spikes 4th slot to keep my opponent pressured to defog, as scarf lando-t doesn't always have that many opportunities to spin. U-Turn could be worth trying, as it definitely is nice to be able to U-Turn into Heatran(pex/tang) or Mega-Mawile. Shuriken to revenge certain setup sweepers when possible, such as Hawlucha.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Scarf Landorus-T is probably one of my most used/favorite mons out there right now. It's just so good and so splashable on every single team. EQ/U-Turn irreplaceable as always. HP Ice is the other attack to help pressure Zygarde and for leading off vs other landos/scarf landos. Defog makes for the last move, as having a way to remove toxic spikes on a Tangrowth + 2 grounded mons team is absolutely mandatory. Often times I'll be forced to suicide defog, just how the game plays out. Scarf is very nice for being able to revenge kill faster breakers like Tapu Koko, Lopunny, and Greninja. I (tried) to set it up so it looks like scarf lele and defensive Lando.

Tapu Lele @ Metronome
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Absolutely OP lure set that I got owned by on the ladder one time. Metronome is a really cool item, and it lets you do a few things that lele couldn't otherwise do. For example, just by repeatedly clicking moonblast / psychic, you now reliably 1v1 Mew, Mantine, stall (with chansey trapped by tran), as well as pickup some otherwise missed 2hkos. It also allows for free attack lele, which is absolutely terrifying for any Jirachi-less team (looking at you blarghlfarghl ). Being able to chip Magearna with repeated HP Fires is nice for Ash Gren (vice versa as well). Lastly, focus blast owns with all the ttars and heatrans running around, switching in on psychic and shit. This is the only mon that I agree power>speed on, as non-modest Lele just feels noticeably weaker to me. But if you are a pussy unlike the great me, be my guest and run timid.​

Threats:
- just fuck hawlucha. Single biggest threat. Usually have to keep Mawile at max HP and un-mega'd to be able to intimidate+tpunch for the revenge kill. HP ice lando can chip it, and if it is chipped by lando / tang, then Water Shuriken may be able to revenge kill.

- similar to Hawlucha, but less problematic. I often try to keep Mawile max hp/un-mega'd in order to reliably beat this. If it mega evolves while DDancing, Tangrowth can do some damage to it with Giga Drains + Lando can still outspeed after a single DD.

- last threat. I usually just pivot well between Lando-T, Tangrowth, and possibly Mawile. The threat of scarf lele can scare it out, and if it gets low enough, Shuriken can revenge kill. PuP is a little harder, but only noobs run that bad set.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-335941 reyscarface vs. Hiye for SC
that's the only replay I have. only noob cowards with insecurities save their ladder replays.

Importable

If you have any comments/suggestions please drop them below. I won't read them/update my team, but I'll like your post.

Last edited:
You`d have to watch out for that hawlucha with the swords dances and try to intimidate it, I Like the way you try and counter it but i feel there`s a lack of ghost types in this team and the ice and water coverage is not too great. And as i said no ghost type coverage at all so if mega sableye decides to jump in you would be ruined, I Mean tapu lele no chance greninja well maybe, Heatran? No chance and the rest got no chance either so i would add a solution to that if i were you. Also the lack of hazards really really concerns me :/ you need stealth rock in my opinion, Offensive spike setter wont be enough since greninja will just get easily taken out with a earthquake from gyarados and if you decide to swap to lando he can just ice fang you so thats not really fun to deal with (If you`re locked in on spikes.)

Changes: Heatran- Blacephalon

A ghost and fire type to your team that pretty much does the same as heatran does in this team but more effective. For your team i would recommend this set:

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Shadow Ball

HP Electric deals with gyarados and other water and flying types plus the fact that its ghost makes hawlucha and lopunny unable to do anything. Ok greninja can encounter blacephalon but the point is to get rid of these huge threats with this mon. Next up yes you do need a physical wall, Tangrowth is not going to do it all so i would suggest tapu fini instead of tapu lele:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt

This mon encounters a lot of earthquakes just like tangrowth and is also a nice pokemon incase anyone decides to fire blast your tangrowth. Also with defog and taunt you will get full hazard control.

Small changes:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

I Would say this landorus set would fit in better when you now have tapu fini.
Also it has stealth rock so you can have this as a lead.

Greninja set should be:

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Much better and scarf allows it to outspeed mega gyarados with atleast 2 ddances i believe and then you can get a u-turn off fast incase he`s low hp. Other then that i like the team overall gj! :D

all I was going to say would be to get rid of tangrowth (the worst pokemon in the game) and add av bulu since it can actually do something offensively. Even though tangrowth can run a lot of different moves on av (giga drain, leaf storm, hp fire, hp ice, eq, rock slide, sludge bomb, and knock off) and surprise things it still doesn't do any damage. AV bulu can come in on ash gren spiking up and actually hit something hard with wood hammer or natures madness and isn't hazard fodder for ferrothorn and toxapex or setup fodder for pinsir and volcarona

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness/Stone Edge

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
The above rates are nice and all, but I'll leave my own suggestion anyway because this team is really cool. Maw + tran + gren is super good

645-s.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Explosion

This is a kinda weird set, but it's geared towards helping beat Hawlucha.

The given defense allows you to live a +1 acrobatics after rocks, and Explosion allows you to OHKO or almost OHKO after the seed defense boost.

+1 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 64 Def Landorus-Therian: 237-280 (74.2 - 87.7%)

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Explosion vs. +1 104 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 249-294 (77 - 91%)

658-a.png choicespecs.png--> splashplate.png
Greninja-Ash (M) @ Splash Plate
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

Since T-spikes/spikes are annoying I'll suggest changing greninja to a set that can taunt Toxapex and Ferrothorn so that they can't use you as hazard fodder.

Thats all I have. Hope you like these ideas :]​

Reactions: BKC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)