I'll Have My Revenge! - A Little Cup Warstory

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'll Have My Revenge!

This was a repeat from about 4 or 5 battles we’d played in quick succession on Doug's Create-A-Pokemon server. We both knew each others’ teams right down to the movesets in this match, and they’re fairly even, so it basically came down to skill, and some luck from the Random Number Gods.

The teams at a glance:
Nails’ Team:

Zari’s Team:

Nails' Comments will be in green.

Zari's Comments will be in blue.

Health will be shown at the end of each turn [color coated by player], Score will be shown after each KO, and Stealth Rock damage will be omitted.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Little Cup Clause
Zari sent out Machop (lvl 5 Machop ?).
Nails sent out Diglett (lvl 5 Diglett ?).
100 %
100 %

Nails switched in Gastly (lvl 5 Gastly ?).
Machop used Dynamicpunch.
It doesn't affect Gastly...
---
100 %
100 %

I felt fairly confident that his Machop would Dynamicpunch, as I’ve stayed in on his chop the last few battles, so I switched out to Gastly. That move payed off, but if he Ice Punched I would’ve been screwed. I also want to save Diglett’s sash if at all possible. I know Zari carries Stealth Rock on his team, so if I can get Diggy back in before it's up, I get a guaranteed kill.

Nice prediction here by Nails. Still, I'm not too worried, as my Machop's EVs focus on bulk, not speed. I go ahead and ice punch because I know I can survive a shadow ball....

Gastly used Shadow Ball.
Machop lost 65% of its health.
Machop's special defence was lowered.
Machop's Oran Berry restored health!
Machop restored 38% of its health.
Machop used Ice Punch.
Gastly lost 50% of its health.
---
73 %, -1 SpD
50 %

This is an exact replay of a scene that happened in one of our earlier battles. His Machop was going to be OHKO'd if I shadow balled once more, but he knows my Gastly was choice locked. I predicted a switch to Porygon and sent out my special wall.

Bleh. He got a lucky SpD drop, so Machop will be OHKO'd if I stay in. I know from our previous battles that his Gastly is scarfed, so I go to Porygon, hopefully taking advantage of the ghost immunity....

Zari switched in Porygon (lvl 5 Porygon).
Porygon traced Gastly's Levitate!
Nails switched in Munchlax (lvl 5 Munchlax ?).
100 %
100 %

I guessed right! His Tri Attack only does about 40% to Munchlax, so I'm guessing he’ll switch out and I’ll get a free hit on whatever he switched in.

Once again I am out-predicted. At this point I'm in a kind of bind; I know Munchlax's moveset contains body slam and curse, so switching gives him a free setup chance, but I don't want Porygon getting paralyzed, as that ruins my ability to use agility. I go now to Bronzor just to be safe.
---
Zari switched in Bronzor (lvl 5 Bronzor).
Munchlax used Body Slam.
It's not very effective...
Bronzor lost 23% of its health.

77 %
100 %

Bronzor takes the body slam here like a champ, and I know Nails' Munchlax doesn't have any other attack move that can hit me. This is the perfect chance to lay up stealth rock on the field; I've got a trick up my sleeve that should help me out Vs Munchlax, so here we go....
---
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Bronzor is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Bronzor used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

54 %, Paralyzed
100 %, Stealth Rock up

Parahax kicks in, but stealth rock kills Diglett’s sash, basically eliminating the possibilities of it revenge killing something. At least I have it for death fodder later on.
---
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Bronzor's Oran Berry restored health!
Bronzor restored 45% of its health.
Bronzor used Earthquake.
Munchlax lost 23% of its health.
---
Munchlax used Curse.
Munchlax's speed was lowered.
Munchlax's attack was raised.
Munchlax's defence was raised.
Bronzor used Trick.
Bronzor obtained Oran Berry!

I should’ve cursed earlier, but I was sort of hoping for a crit or a full paralysis. I still outspeed him at this point, but I didn’t expect to lose my Oran. That basically lets me take 3 less hits and him take 2 more. Not good.

---
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Bronzor lost 32% of its health.
Bronzor's Oran Berry restored health!
Bronzor restored 45% of its health.
Bronzor used Earthquake.
Munchlax lost 17% of its health.
---
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Bronzor is paralysed! It can't move!
---
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Bronzor used Earthquake.
Munchlax lost 17% of its health.
---
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Bronzor lost 27% of its health.
Zari's Bronzor fainted.

KO'd
43 %

6 - 5 Nails' lead

Great, I killed Bronzor. Although it’s not incredibly effective at walling my team (only really walling Diglett effectively), it’s still better to have it dead than living. I wait patiently for his next poke, and sit comfortably on my new lead.

While I lost my chance to KO munchy because of Paralysis, Bronzor you did your job, and well. With oran gone from Munchlax, I go now to Machop, because my little fighter still has enough health left to take a another shadow ball from Gastly.

---
Zari switched in Machop (lvl 5 Machop ?).

And here my new-found confidence drifts away. I have nothing that can take a Dynamicpunch from chop, and I can’t switch in Gastly or else I might get ice punched. A 43% Munchlax can’t wall anything and outspeeds nothing, so it’s fairly useless. I sacrifice Munchy to give Gastly a safe switch in.

Machop used Dynamicpunch.
It's super effective!
Munchlax lost 43% of its health.
Nails's Munchlax fainted.

73 %
KO'd

5 - 5 tie game

---
Nails switched in Gastly (lvl 5 Gastly ?).

...And he does the obvious move to bring in Gastly. I'm a little confused as to why he didn't keep Munchlax for death fodder, since the dynamicpunch was obvious; Munchlax normally carries thick fat, so Ice Punch wouldn't have KO'd. I don't want chop to take another shadow ball at this point, as it's extremely useful Vs. the rest of Nails' team, so I go to Porygon to take whatever attack Gastly throws out.

Porygon traced Gastly's Levitate!
Gastly used Trick.
Gastly obtained Oran Berry!
Porygon obtained Choice Scarf!

40 %
100 %

Score! A free oran berry! But seriously, I’m glad to have partially incapacitated his Porygon, even if I now am guaranteed to lose a poke. If he tbolts I can use diggy to arena trap and KO, set up stealth rock, all while he’s locked onto an immune attack. Tri Attack can’t hit gastly, so I have a guarantee of either getting a free kill with hidden power, or a revenge kill.

Ah, another stellar prediction against me. At least I'm running max speed timid, so with my new scarf I outspeed all of Nails' team. At this point I have two options, both not normally on the set I usually run; my entire set is Agility / Tri Attack / Shadow Ball / Ice Beam. Tri attack is a no-go, since Gastly is now free to switch moves, and it's highly doubtful that he'll switch out. I opt for ice beam here because while shadow ball is super effective, I know he's got an Eevee waiting in the wings, and I don't want to give him any more free turns than I have to.

---
Porygon used Ice Beam.
A critical hit!
Gastly lost 40% of its health.
Nails's Gastly fainted.
Gastly's Oran Berry restored health!
---
KO'd
100 %, Choice locked

5 - 4 Zari's Lead

...Or he’s running ice beam. He hadn’t showed it before, and that threw a monkey wrench into my strategy. I can definitely take advantage of this though.

Nails switched in Totodile (lvl 5 Totodile ?).

Oh great, now I'm screwed. Ice beam won't do jack shit to Totodile, and if I switch he's gonna SD... I need to reduce Toto's health as much as possible to revenge kill with Ponyta quick attack; from our previous matches I know Nails is running a LO SD Totodile, so that helps, but I'm still going to take a monstrous amount of damage.... To Machop we go, for bullet punch should at least strip off a little HP.....

Zari switched in Machop (lvl 5 Machop ?).
Totodile used Swords Dance.
Totodile's attack was sharply raised.

73 %
90 %

Totodile is a beast, STAB priority, it wrecks if it gets a swords dance. With a free turn guaranteed by a choice-locked ice beam, I was able to nab a free +2.
---
Totodile used Aqua Jet.
Machop lost 73% of its health.
Zari's Machop fainted.
Totodile lost 10% of its health.
---
KO'd
80 %

4 - 4 tie game

And Toto scores a direct hit! 2 pokes down for him, and I have my Totodile at *nearly* full health and a swords dance. It can survive anything outside a Double Edge from Ponyta and that gets OHKO'd by Aqua jet, so I am pretty confident here.

...Or not. At this point I'm on the verge of panicking; just how many pokemon do I have to sacrifice to bring him into KO range? LO Quick attack only does 23.8% - 33.3% to Toto, so at least one more mon is going down. My best bet right now is Pineco, for I'm running a max HP/Def Supporting Tank set. I can only pray I survive....

Zari switched in Pineco (lvl 5 Pineco ?).
Totodile used Waterfall.
Pineco lost 96% of its health.
Pineco's Oran Berry restored health!
Pineco restored 42% of its health.
Pineco used Bug Bite.
Totodile lost 43% of its health.
---
29 %
46 %

And I get ripped off here. Pineco is a tank, but that 1 last hp cost me 53% of my health after the extra life orb recoil. The RNG decides to pay me back for winning that speed tie earlier with Machop. I still got 2 kills with 1 poke, so whatever.

YES! Thank you Pineco! What a relief; I knew I had a chance at surviving, Pineco being so bulky, but that didn't ease how tense I felt at all. Pineco, you may fall, but you've done your part in stopping this hideous beast from sweeping the rest of my team. Now for revenge!

Totodile used Waterfall.
Pineco lost 46% of its health.
Zari's Pineco fainted.
---
Zari switched in Ponyta (lvl 5 Ponyta ?).
Ponyta used Quick Attack.
Totodile lost 19% of its health.
Nails's Totodile fainted.
Ponyta lost 9% of its health.

KO'd
91 %

3 - 3 tie game

And Toto is gone. It was inevitable. I tied the game back up at 3-3, and I decided to get a free hit on Ponyta so I could finish it off with one of my last 2 pokes.
---

Nails switched in Diglett (lvl 5 Diglett ?).
Diglett used Sucker Punch.
Ponyta lost 41% of its health.
Diglett lost 50% of its health.

41 %
44 %

Wow, Diglett actually took an attack. That’s not supposed to happen (his defenses are flat out terrible, even for Little Cup). His Pony is at 41% right here, so I keep a winning streak going and get ready to pull away with the lead.

Why didn't he KO me with earthquake? That would've one-shotted me for sure. Now Nails knows he can KO with sucker punch, but I've got one final ace up my sleeve. I can only pray that he doesn't EQ me to death right here and now....
---

Diglett used Sucker Punch.
But it failed!
Ponyta used Charm.
Diglett's attack was harshly lowered.

41 %
44 %, -2 Atk

...Or that could happen. I had no clue it was carrying a non-damaging attack, and with arena trap I thought I had a guaranteed kill. Whatever, even with a charm drop, EQ KOs and I can come out on top.

I can't believe I just pulled that off. Talk about a nerve-wracking moment! Judging from the last damage roll and stealth rock, quick attack should KO, so it's game over Diglett!!
---

A critical hit!
Diglett lost 44% of its health.
Nails's Diglett fainted.

32 %
KO'd

3 - 2 Zari Leads

Really dumb move here. Sucker Punch was far and away the better option, but I overthought (maybe underthought?) this one. Now, I went from up 3-2 with one of his pokes having to revenge kill to down 2-3 and having to revenge kill his. Plus, whoever it is gets a large chunk taken out of them. I like the way Eevee stacks up against the rest of the team better than Houndour, so I let hound take the hit and save Eevee for cleaning. The game is not looking good though.
---

Nails switched in Houndour (lvl 5 Houndour ?).
Houndour lost 43% of its health.
Houndour used Dark Pulse.
Ponyta lost 23% of its health.
Zari's Ponyta fainted.
Houndour lost 10% of its health.

KO'd
24 %

2 - 2 tie game

I have to take the hit because Pony outspeeds me so I can’t sucker punch it. The good news here are both of his remaining pokes are scarfed, so they’re predictable. The bad news is, they outspeed both my pokes >.<

I opted to play the safe way here, trying to avoid taking another sucker punch if I used a 0 priority attack, and it nets me the loss of Ponyta. If I'd used double edge Ponyta'd still be alive....but what's done is done. Time for another revenge.
---

Zari switched in Buizel (lvl 5 Buizel ?).
Houndour used Sucker Punch.
Buizel lost 77% of its health.
Houndour lost 10% of its health.
Buizel used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Houndour lost 14% of its health.
Nails's Houndour fainted.

KO'd
23 %

2 - 1 Zari Leads

He has aqua jet, so I’m not sure why he did that. All I can think is that I now have a fighting chance, because Eevee can quick attack to finish off Buizel, and his Porygon doesn’t have any priority attacks.

There were three choices I had here; I could use aqua jet, waterfall, or even brick break to KO Houdour, but I chose waterfall here because I know Nails will revenge with Eevee. I wanted to lock Eevee into the obvious Quick Attack; that way if Eevee survived Porygon's attack I wouldn't be flat out OHKO'd by STAB adaptability return.
---

Nails switched in Eevee (lvl 5 Eevee ?).
Eevee used Quick Attack.
Buizel lost 23% of its health.
Zari's Buizel fainted.

KO'd
91 %

A great battle is drawing to a close. His Porygon traces Adaptability though, so Tri Attack has even more Oomph. Unless Eevee can OHKO with quick attack, this game is over.

...And I just realized my mistake. Porygon has trace, since Tri Attack is illegal with download, and I just got Adaptability. I select my most powerful option, tri attack here, hoping it will KO...
---

Porygon traced Eevee's Adaptability!
Eevee used Quick Attack.
Porygon lost 54% of its health.
Porygon used Tri Attack.

Eevee lost 86% of its health.
---
Eevee used Quick Attack.
Porygon lost 46% of its health.
Zari's Porygon fainted.
Nails wins!
---
With 1 hp remaining, Eevee survives, and can quick attack for the win. It’s the best late game cleaner in little cup, and it shows here, just bulky enough to take the attack after stealth rock.

Dang. I lost to my own misprediction and a CB quick attack Eevee. But this was a great game; very little relevant hax, great predictions, all in all one of the better matches I've had Vs Nails on the LC ladder. Congrats on your victory Nails, and GG!

Final Score:

1 - 0 Nails' Victory

Nails: Eevee = tank
Nails: =)
Zari: wow gg
Nails: gg
Props:
  • The bout between Munchlax and Bronzor with paralysis, (Even if the hax gods love me, which they do. Try thanking them next time they do something nice for you, and hopefully they’ll be more inclined to help the next time you need something. They’re big on manners ;P).
  • Eevee for being the best quick attack spammer ever.
  • My prediction skills. I would have easily lost without a couple of switches early on.
Slops:

• My prediction skills. That fight between Diglett and Ponyta I mispredicted 3 for 3. I hope I don't make that many awful moves in that short of a time period again.
  • The Random Number Gods for giving me one point short of a KO on Pineco, which, if I'd KO'd, would have made things a hell of a lot easier.
Props:
  • Awesome prediction by Nails
  • Bronzor stealing Munchlax's Oran Berry
  • Pineco for being the bulkiest mon ever
  • Ponyta for taking down its worst nemesis Diglett with CHARM.
  • All of the 1 HP survivals in this match.
Slops:
  • Me, for such lousy prediction at the end
  • The one relevant case of parahax :(

Nails' RMT From this Battle

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I really enjoyed reading this. Zari's Charm Ponyta made me laugh, and both teams used off the beaten path sets and Pokemon. There haven't been many LC Warstories, so this is a fantastic treat. Nice battle, and I hope to read more LC Warstories by you in the future.

5/5

i agreed with the opponent when he didnt understand why you didn't save munchlax and switch to gastly (no one is letting curse lax go unguarded (or make that "noguarded hehehe)) but other than that, i thoroughly enjoyed it - good job!

I don't know too much about LC, but that was a great read! Playing it as a game with near perfect information made the predictions even better (imo), although I'm still confused about Diglett not using Earthquake against Ponyta the first time (unless you were running a +Atk nature instead of +Spe and risked a Speed Tie?). You both shared your thought process well (the explanation of Waterfall > Aqua Jet, for example), and overall it was a great match.

Edit: My reasoning for not using EQ was wrong rofl I didn't see it used LO already against Totodile so I thought it was choiced

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good warstory, a few silly moves but nothing too important and some great moments. Diglett Vs Pony and Bronzor stealing an extra Oran was awesome, so was the trick with getting Eevee to use QA not Return.

Should go in the LC subforum though.

Nice. Eevee was awesome! Your opponent made few mistakes but over all it was pretty good plus a nice ending.

Idk much bout LC, but this battle didn't require prediction from mid-game on. Fast paced game in LC as much as OU :). I would say it's good but not great.

7/10

I don't know too much about LC, but that was a great read! Playing it as a game with near perfect information made the predictions even better (imo), although I'm still confused about Diglett not using Earthquake against Ponyta the first time (unless you were running a +Atk nature instead of +Spe and risked a Speed Tie?). You both shared your thought process well (the explanation of Waterfall > Aqua Jet, for example), and overall it was a great match.
Quoted for truth.

There were some strange moves, and some odd sets that worked out (I've never seen trick, and charm was lol funny) but it was a good warstory. Plus, it's little cup, can't get much better than that!

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Nice read, good job to the both of you.
How come this isn't in the lc section common guys

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
For the record, I was a little cup noob and didn't think that diglett would survive a quick attack. That's why I didn't use Earthquake.

I learned my lesson.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, I'll be posting a RMT that I used during this battle either tonight or tomorrow and linking it at the bottom, as that team is probably retired now (got #1 on the ladder, not much else to do).

I am new to LC so I don't know much about the moves that were made or anything, but this battle was fucking great. Really good warstory, good comments and, most importantly, cutemons!

For the record, I was a little cup noob and didn't think that diglett would survive a quick attack. That's why I didn't use Earthquake.

I learned my lesson.
Zari also realized his mistake of using Waterfall instead of Aqua Jet with Buizel.

This should belong in the little cup subforum.

That was close! Had me on the edge of my seat. Haha, that Totadile sure did some damage, look forwared to seeing more warstories.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although I'm not familiar with the LC metagame, I could tell this was a good,close battle presented in a concise and informative warstory. Good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)