Monotype Hoist the Colours

Introduction

Although there is no ladder for Monotype LC, I tested the team in Monotype LC OT's as well as low ladder of LC. I won the first OT I used this team in without even testing it on the LC ladder, then I came second in the second OT I took part in. I won a few games on the low LC ladder but did not try to grind through to high ladder to test it fully.

I thought it would be a good idea to showcase this team considering Monotype LC is a part of the Monotype Winter Premier as well as having OT's in the Monotype room. More people are being exposed to this Monotype OM and this is a really easy and simple team to use when just starting out!
Team Development

I took a liking to Vullaby during a couple of LC seasonal matches I had, especially the Nasty Plot set. The ability to set up a Nasty Plot whilst taking a physical hit and managing to sweep the oppositions team is astounding. I decided that this was the Pokemon I wanted to build this team around.

The idea for Alolan Meowth came from the Alolan Persian set I had seen in videos and on ladder. Z-Parting Shot was such a good utility move especially when paired with sweepers. The idea of being able to set up and kill Pokemon with Vullaby and then Z-Parting Shot and heal it straight back up intrigued me.

Once I added Alolan Meowth to the team I thought it was necessary to add another Pokemon to the team that can set up and deal damage and then be able to go for round 2 with the healing of Alolan Meowth. This time however I wanted a physical attacker to be able to hit things that Vullaby could not.

As you could see by the other three Pokemon and now this Pokemon, I decided to go with hyper offence, not really having many switch ins but always exerting pressure to the opposing team. I went with Life Orb Carvanha because it does not require any set up to hit hard but due to its ability gets an auto speed boost each turn. With the Life Orb recoil it receives when attacking it makes sense to add it to the team with Alolan Meowth to be another option for healing.

Once I realised that this was definitely a hyper offence team, I decided to add a suicide lead. This way the team wont be halted by Focus Sash or Sturdy Pokemon trying to use Berry Juice.

I decided I was happy with the offence I had added on my team and was ready to add a Pokemon to help take hits rather than having to sack a Pokemon every time I am threatened with a Fighting or Fairy-type move. Grimer also offers priority that I lacked on the team before in Shadow Sneak.

Set Explanation

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 240 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave / HP Ground

The role of this Pokemon on the team is to set up and clean a team, or at least severely weaken a team to the point that another Pokemon can clean. Nasty Plot along with Weak Armour allows Vullaby to set up fully in one turn when being attacked by a Physical Pokemon. Dark Pulse and Air Slash are the preferred STAB attacks and Heat Wave is the preferred coverage move. However Hidden Power Ground is useful for dealing with Magnemite. Eviolite is used to allow Vullaby to take the Physical attacks and set up without being too low on health.

Meowth-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 40 HP / 200 SpA / 36 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Pulse
- Taunt
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse

Alolan Meowth's main role on the team is to use Z-Parting Shot in order to make another Pokemon healthy. However, it has Taunt for any cleric Pokemon or for hazard leads. Water Pulse is mainly for dealing with Pokemon such as Weak Armour Onyx as a lead. Dark Pulse is another STAB option that also works in with Darkinium Z very well as it is a second option for the Z move if you do not need to heal up your other Pokemon.

Scraggy @ Eviolite / Berry Juice
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Scraggy is pretty much the physical version of Vullaby, the idea is to set up and attack. Scraggy has Dragon Dance and Moxie to abuse, giving it momentum with each kill. High Jump Kick is my preferred STAB with Scraggy however Drain Punch is also a viable option for sustainability. Knock Off is by far Scraggy's best Dark STAB as Knock Off is so important in LC, getting rid of Eviolites and Berry Juices is important to breaking a team. Lastly, Zen Headbutt, this is mainly used to combat Croagunk as it resists both Fighting and Dark but threatens Scraggy with Fighting STAB. Eviolite is my preferred item on Scraggy however Berry Juice can also be effective.

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs

Carvanha is a monster, boasting the Ability Speed Boost and dealing big damage with Crunch and Waterfall thanks to its Life Orb. Carvanha is used to quickly come in and revenge kill Pokemon as well as smack whatever is in front of it for huge damage. Life Orb is used to allow it to deal maximum damage but still have use of the move Protect, which is used in order to get the Speed Boost without worrying about a Pokemon killing you first. The coverage move on this set is Psychic Fangs to hit Poison-types but mostly to hit Fighting-types that threaten the team.

Pawniard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 198 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Pawniard is a standard suicide lead. The role is to get up Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave the opponent and then click attacks until it dies. Although it was originally added to be a suicide lead, I like to lead Alolan Meowth to get off a Taunt to stop hazards before using Parting Shot into one of my sweepers. If the field is clear from hazards due to this, Pawniard ends up being a good Pokemon to rely on killing or crippling threats to the team with its Focus Sash.

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

This Pokemon was brought to the team to add its Poison typing, it gives the team a switch in to both Fighting and Fairy-type attacks and can deal with users of Focus Blast such as Abra and users of Dazzling Gleam such as Gastly easily with Pursuit. Shadow Sneak is the teams only form of priority which is good for revenge killing really weak Pokemon or Pokemon with Sturdy. Poison Jab and Knock off are the preferred choice of STAB.

Strategy
I would not normally add a section like this to a RMT but this is for people unaware of how simple this team is to use. Either lead with Pawniard or Alolan Meowth, depending on whether you want hazard early game or want to prevent hazards straight away. Find a safe way to get in to a sweeper, either Carvanha, Scraggy or Vullaby depending on what matches up better against that team. Good ways to get in sweepers safely if you are offensively pressured is to either Parting Shot with Alolan Meowth or pivot in to Alolan Muk first to force a switch. Once you are in with a sweeper, set up, unless you are using Carvanha in which case just make sure you out speed, then deal as much damage as possible until a Pokemon that can kill you comes in. Once this has happened once you should find a safe way into Alolan Meowth and Z -Parting Shot in to the weakened Pokemon you swpt with before if they still have a good match up or another Pokemon that you need healthy.

I did not know that I was going to be doing a RMT of this so here is my only replay with this team against Fighting in the late stages of an OT.

Threat List
Sticky Web
Fairy Typing
Fighting Typing
Bug Typing
Hazard Stack
Hax
Priority

Team Import
Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Pawniard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Timid Nature
- Water Pulse
- Taunt
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Carvanha @ Life Orb
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs

Imp: Catalystic The Excadrill Amane Misa Isotonex Thimo North roman MiyoKa Ghost Cream Haakunite
OM Lords: ScarfWynaut Ransei
Sabella and Leru for helping me to get better every time I ask for help

Hey. This team is really nice, and I especially like the idea of Z-Parting Shot Alolan Meowth. However, I do have some recommendations:

You did list both Sticky Web and hazard stacking as threats to your team, which is understandable since you don't have a Defogger. To remedy this issue, I would suggest replacing Alolan Grimer with Stunky. Not only can Stunky offer Defog utility, letting Alolan Meowth pivot much more freely, but it also has a significantly better offensive presence, stronger priority, and access to solid coverage in Fire Blast as a means of hitting Ferroseed, an especially prevalent hazard stacker. Its Speed tier is also at an amazing 18, being able to outspeed base 17's like Surskit, which can be a nuisance with Sticky Web. Here's the set you should go with:

Stunky @ Eviolite
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 12 HP / 12 Atk / 188 SpA / 28 SpD / 244 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

Some optimization can also be useful for Carvanha. My suggestion would be replacing Waterfall with Hydro Pump and changing the spread to 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe with a Mild Nature. This change can allow Carvanha to pick up some especially notable KOs that it can't get with Waterfall:

Tirtouga
Waterfall: 196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 92 Def Tirtouga: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Hydro Pump: 236+ SpA Life Orb Carvanha Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tirtouga: 23-29 (109.5 - 138%) -- guaranteed OHKO(this is especially helpful to prevent it from setting up a Shell Smash)

Hippopotas
Waterfall: 196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Waterfall vs. 52 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 18-23 (75 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hydro Pump: 236+ SpA Life Orb Carvanha Hydro Pump vs. 52 HP / 180 SpD Eviolite Hippopotas: 26-34 (108.3 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This may come at the cost of some of its effectiveness in the Poison matchup, since it can't always OHKO Foongus after Stealth Rock, and can't do as much damage against Alolan Grimer. However, in the Poison matchup it'll be susceptible to Croagunk's Vacuum Wave either way, so I'd say it's a fair trade. With this more specially oriented set, I would also suggest replacing Crunch with Dark Pulse. This change will allow it to significantly dent Shellder before it can set up with Shell Smash:

236+ SpA Life Orb Carvanha Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Shellder: 13-17 (68.4 - 89.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

There's also that helpful flinch chance you miss out on by foregoing Waterfall.

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped:
Stunky @ Eviolite
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

Pawniard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Timid Nature
- Water Pulse
- Taunt
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Carvanha @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Psychic Fangs

Hey. This team is really nice, and I especially like the idea of Z-Parting Shot Alolan Meowth. However, I do have some recommendations:

You did list both Sticky Web and hazard stacking as threats to your team, which is understandable since you don't have a Defogger. To remedy this issue, I would suggest replacing Alolan Grimer with Stunky. Not only can Stunky offer Defog utility, letting Alolan Meowth pivot much more freely, but it also has a significantly better offensive presence, stronger priority, and access to solid coverage in Fire Blast as a means of hitting Ferroseed, an especially prevalent hazard stacker. Its Speed tier is also at an amazing 18, being able to outspeed base 17's like Surskit, which can be a nuisance with Sticky Web. Here's the set you should go with:

Stunky @ Eviolite
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

Some optimization can also be useful for Carvanha. My suggestion would be replacing Waterfall with Hydro Pump and changing the spread to 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe with a Mild Nature. This change can allow Carvanha to pick up some especially notable KOs that it can't get with Waterfall:

Tirtouga
Waterfall: 196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 92 Def Tirtouga: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Hydro Pump: 236+ SpA Life Orb Carvanha Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tirtouga: 23-29 (109.5 - 138%) -- guaranteed OHKO(this is especially helpful to prevent it from setting up a Shell Smash)

Hippopotas
Waterfall: 196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Waterfall vs. 52 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 18-23 (75 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hydro Pump: 236+ SpA Life Orb Carvanha Hydro Pump vs. 52 HP / 180 SpD Eviolite Hippopotas: 26-34 (108.3 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This may come at the cost of some of its effectiveness in the Poison matchup, since it can't always OHKO Foongus after Stealth Rock, and can't do as much damage against Alolan Grimer. However, in the Poison matchup it'll be susceptible to Croagunk's Vacuum Wave either way, so I'd say it's a fair trade. With this more specially oriented set, I would also suggest replacing Crunch with Dark Pulse. This change will allow it to significantly dent Shellder before it can set up with Shell Smash:

236+ SpA Life Orb Carvanha Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Shellder: 13-17 (68.4 - 89.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

There's also that helpful flinch chance you miss out on by foregoing Waterfall.

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped:
Stunky @ Eviolite
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

Pawniard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Timid Nature
- Water Pulse
- Taunt
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Carvanha @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Psychic Fangs
Stunky does seem like a better fit looking at it. Special Carvanha seems interesting, I'll most likely make two teams one with special one without. i'll edit the RMT soon for changes.

Thanks for the Rate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)