ORAS NU Heldeep

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heldeep

Hello all, Shadestep here with an NU RMT. I have used this team a lot recently and have really gotten attached to it. With the new drops, the meta has changed some and it's a bit outdated, but still really fun to use. The name of the team, as well as the nicknames are all named after my favorite artist, Oliver Heldens. Meeting him irl a couple of weeks back, as well as sharing the same taste in music with my best irl friend made me appreciate his music and personality even more, as he is a really nice guy. I have been listening to his music for ages and the nicknames fit the Pokemon on the team very well, in my opinion.

I made this team a while ago, and I don't remember my teambuilding process at all, outside of the fact that I wanted to build with LO Vivillon, so I'm not going to randomly create a teambuilding process since it's been a long time.

The Team

melody (Vivillon) @

Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder / U-turn

Ok so Vivillon was the starting point of the team. It's an underrated mon that is superannoying to face and to play around. I chose a LO version of Vivillon over sash + quiver dance, as it's a lot stronger than the Quiver Dance set. Sleep Powder and U-turn are both viable options, Sleep Powder is overall solid, and U-turn is a great tech to get a free switch out vs things like Steelix that try to wall you. Normal sets would run Quiver Dance over Energy Ball, but this team really can't afford to give DD Rhydon free turns as it's superthreatening.

space sheep (Shiftry) @

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Shiftry is an insanely good Pokemon in NU, as it's so hard to switch in to. I decided on a Lum + SD version, as I didn't really need Defog (I had Mixed first, but changed it up later) and SD Shiftry is actually amazing. I didn't have any other real win condition so I needed either SD or NP Shiftry, and decided on SD as +2 Sucker cleans up so many teams.

the right song (Lanturn) @

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 SpA / 92 SpD / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hydro Pump

I'm a big Lanturn fan, I use it on almost every team I make, so it had to be on this one too. AV Lanturn is by far the best set atm, as it allows Lanturn to take on Swellow, Floatzel and special Samurott better, while it gives it the ability to actually do something back to them. Lax adviced me to run HP Fire over Hydro Pump, as my team is annoyed by Ferroseed, so that's why it's the primary slash. Didn't really feel the need for Signal Beam, as I can normally play around Malamar well enough that it doesn't completely 6-0 the team.

waiting (Steelix) @

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Steelix is another staple mon on many NU teams. its incredibly bulk, as well as a massive attack stat make it a great Pokemon to put on almost any team. It's this teams main way to deal with CM Psychics, and also sets up rocks vs so many things. We all know what Steelix does, and it fit on my team perfectly.

ghost (Kabutops) @

Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Choice Scarf Kabutops was an amazing add-on to the team. It provided the team with a reliable revenge killer for mons like Swellow, Scyther, and Floatzel. Rapid Spin gave the team more hazard control, because Xatu can't beat all the rockers in the tier and can't prevent Hazards from going up from every mon ever. Aqua Jet over Superpower is because DD Rhydon is a pretty huge threat to this team. Aqua Jet picks off weakened Rhydons and is really unexpected on Scarf kabu, giving it some surprise factor.

shades of gray (Xatu) @

Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Helmet Xatu is the teams primary Steelix switch-in. Rocky Helmet punishes Heavy Slam, and weakens it for either Kabutops, Shiftry or Vivillon to kill it later on. standard pivot Xatu, no broken stored power shit. Xatu is one of the most reliable mons in the tier and it also gave me a switch-in for Vileplume, I guess.. Sludge Bomb poisons suck, but Vileplume in general is very annoying to switch in to unless you have a Garbodor. This team

Final Thoughts

This team has gotten me lots of success on the ladder, as well as in test battles, or just random games vs Teddeh , who I have literally never beaten in a single pokemon game in my life.. anyways, the team does have flaws and weaknesses, and I'm the first one to admit that. I have had loads of fun with this team, though, and wanted to share it with others as I've kept it to myself forever now.

thanks to the Nekopara squad Jarii NotNova Shadowtags Winter's Howl , for all being hilarious in your own ways and making me laugh with dat boi memes, i really love you guys.
thanks to the Evan. for giving me a shot in NUPL, I enjoyed every minute of the season with the team, so shoutouts to -Davon TTFTW Blast Ice Tea for being cool :) and special thanks to ium , even though you don't forum anymore you've become one of the few people that I talk to on a regular base now. rozes is also very cute, and Bouff you too, glad you're back :)
nv you're a wonderful person, thanks for everything you do :)
PS cucks: Lax Brick Small. Orphic Shaneghoul HJAD p2 Irraquated rnbs all falls down gorex Silver Aurum Realistic Waters Aurosis Aladyyn , and the entire UU Skype group that I'm still in for some reason. also Chakra ceraa
and Killintime cuz he's cool.

Shoutouts Rowan
melody (Vivillon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder

space sheep (Shiftry) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

the right song (Lanturn) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

waiting (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

ghost (Kabutops) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

shades of gray (Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Run hp grass on lanturn as the final move. Running a lanturn set walled by gastrodon is pitiful and getting rid of it makes scarf kabu a bitch to play around for most teams. If you're that paranoid about ferroseed just run taunt lix which also handles musharna that don't speed creep you. On mobile so I don't have a lot to say but that's what I would try.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
vivi / shiftry / lanturn / lix / kabu / xatu

hey shadestep this seems like a really cool team around an underrated mon in lo vivi so lets get right into the rate
  • to start off with i would switch bug buzz for quiver dance on vivi as bug buzz really gets no important coverage that you dont hit already aside from malamar which the rest of your teammates can deal with. also with life orb i really like running giga drain over energy ball as you hit just about as hard as well as get some recovery to ease off the life orb damage that you take, though energy ball is a fine option. in the last slot definitely stick with sleep powder as well with the change to quiver dance as it can give you a turn to set up.
  • i agree with rapture with changing hp fire / hydro pump to hidden power grass this gives you an effective way to hit gastrodon which is helpful for kabu / steelix.
  • the final change i would make is heat wave to signal beam on xatu as this allows you to deal with malamar after giving up bug buzz on vivi.
    • another route you could take is going signal beam in lanturns last slot and running grass knot or another move like that in the last slot in order to hit things like steelix and aggron which are big threats to your current team. though keep in mind grass knot leaves you completely walled by skuntank and something like hp ground actually gets decent coverage against all of them.
overall this is a really solid team and good luck with it in the future n_n

quiver dance > bug buzz
giga drain > energy ball

hp grass/signal beam > hydro pump

signal beam/grass knot/hp ground > heat wave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)