SM UU Hedgehog's Dilemma

Introduction
Hey guys, welcome to my first RMT! This is a balance team I recently built around a core I'm really enjoying, consisting of Bronzong and Sylveon.
I used this team in the recent suspect test and some Majors games and I found it to be pretty solid, so I decided to share it here. The main idea behind the team was building a balance that truly represents my playstyle, and I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with the result. There isn't much else to say here, so let's start with the TB process!​

Teambuilding Process

I decided to start with a classic Steel + Wisher core, Bronzong and Sylveon. Bronzong is a really interesting Pokemon in this meta, as it checks Mega Gardevoir, Mega Latias, Mega Altaria, Mamoswine and other threats like Nidoking pretty well, but it also needs a lot of help to work effectively, since Pursuiters are everywhere and some mons like Scizor can easily set up on it. So I decided to put Sylveon because it works really well with Bronzong, both thanks to its typing, which is great against Dark types, and the support it offers with Wish and Heal Bell, which is also particularly appreciated by Bronzong.

With Scizor as the main threat to the original core, especially the bulky SD variant, I decided to add Tentacruel as its check. Tentacruel also helps against many other mons which could be problematic such as Cobalion and Primarina, and benefits from Sylveon since it lacks a reliable recovery. Finally, it also serves as my main way to control hazards.

I felt like the team needed a solid wallbreaker, so I opted for specs Hydreigon, a set I'm really enjoying lately. Hydreigon also has good synergy with other members of the team, and as a wallbreaker it particularly appreciates the Toxic Spikes support to wear opponents down more easily. In addition, it can also stop many slow mons that try to setup like Crawdaunt or Gliscor.

At this point I decided to conclude the team with Mega Latias and Terrakion. I chose Latias as a bulky solid win condition which could easily break through every type of build. After adding Latias, I noticed the team was still kind of weak to Dark types like Weavile. As a solution to this I put Terrakion, which has great synergy with Mega Latias and the rest of the team. It's also really solid against both offensive and defensive builds.

The Team

@ Leftovers | Levitate
Sassy | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
• Toxic
• Stealth Rock
• Protect
• Psywave
I decided to use Bronzong because it's one of the best defensive answers to Gardevoir, Latias and Altaria in the current metagame. The set is pretty standard: Protect is really useful since Bronzong doesn't have an active recovery, and it gives the opportunity to scout against choice users or Pursuiters such as CB Weavile and Scarf Krookodile. Toxic is for general utility, since Terrakion and Latias enjoy their opponents being intoxicated. As for Psywave, I prefer it over Gyro Ball for its higher PP and its capability to deal consistent damage on Scizor and Cobalion.

@ Leftovers | Pixilate
Bold | 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
• Heal Bell
• Hyper Voice
• Protect
• Wish
Sylveon is one of the main focus of the team since it is the center of the defensive core. It helps a lot against many Dark type threats such as Weavile and Hydreigon, and supports the team thanks to Wish and Heal Bell. At first I was considering using Calm Mind over Heal Bell, since it helps a lot against Primarina, but Heal Bell turned out to be a lot more useful, since it can heal Latias if it gets poisoned, or Tentacruel and Bronzong if burned.

@ Black Sludge | Clear Body
Bold | 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
• Rapid Spin
• Toxic Spikes
• Scald
• Haze
Tentacruel is one of the best spinners in the metagame, I really like spamming it over and over in my teams. Thanks to Haze, it can handle threats like Cobalion and Scizor which could easily break through this team. However, it doesn't have an active recovery that isn't Z-Haze, so the support it receives from Sylveon is very appreciated. It also sets up Toxic Spikes, one of the main focus of the team since my offensive core loves having the opposing Pokemon poisoned.

@ Choice Specs | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
• Dark Pulse
• Draco Meteor
• U-turn
• Flash Cannon
Hydreigon is a solid wallbreaker whose main purpose is to break through both offensive and defensive builds thanks to its Choice Specs. I chose not to run Fire Blast since Latias already has HP Fire, and Flash Cannon can be more useful for Altaria and opposing Sylveon if Bronzong is already weakened or knocked out. U-turn is my only momentum tool in this team, and it can be really useful in bringing a situation where Terrakion or Latias can setup. Sometimes you might even be able to fake a Scarf set, since the team doesn't have much speed in general. This usually really helps against volturn teams.

@ Latiasite | Levitate
Timid | 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 Spe
• Calm Mind
• Stored Power
• Hidden Power Fire
• Roost
Latias is my main win condition. Thanks to its incredibile bulk, it has many opportunities to set up against the majority of the metagame. HP Fire, while seemingly a weird choice, is very useful to bait Scizor and helps in handling Cobalion more easily if Tentacruel is weakened. The matchup against Krookodile is worse but it isn't really a problem, since Pursuit doesn't do too much with this spread (252 Atk Krookodile Pursuit vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Latias-Mega: 198-234 (56.7 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

@ Rockium Z | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
• Stone Edge
• Rock Polish
• Swords Dance
• Close Combat
Terrakion is my secondary win condition, it helps a lot against Doublade-less stall teams and is really useful for its ability to absorb Knock Off thanks to the Z-Crystal. Thanks to this it can usually gain an advantage from Choice locked Dark types like Scarf Hydreigon and CB Weavile and set up on them, since the team is quite weak to them.

Threats
Volturn is a common threat to balance teams, and my team in particular is pretty weak to it. However the matchup is 100% playable: Toxic Spikes are incredibly useful in this matchup, since if your opponent wants to remove them you can try to gain momentum with Hydreigon against basically any defogger, even Latias since you can fake a Scarf set. Also you can play around with Protect on Bronzong and Sylveon if they have any choice user like Hydreigon, and doing aggressive plays in order to get the momentum back is really useful as well.

Mega Beedrill doesn't see much usage lately, but this mon is fatal for this team. I literally don't have any check. Just try to put rocks up as soon as possible and play around it, even though it's quite difficult.

The bulky builds destroyer, HIM. Haxorus has always been a threat for every balance team, since it gets a lot of oppurtunities to setup against them. You can't do much, try not to let it setup. If you fail, well, say gg.

This is 100% playable too, just do a decent lead and try to setup TSpikes as soon as possible. If you fail, you can still play around it without many problems. Just avoid taking a Psychic on Tentacruel, and you should be good.

Weavile is probably one of the worst matchups. Hopefully, it'll be banned in few days. First of all, you have to do aggressive plays. Keep the momentum on your side, since it'll try to pursuit Bronzong as fast as possible. You can play around the CB version you thanks to Protect, Sylveon in general and Terrakion. However, the LO matchup is a lot tougher: try to play with Sylveon as well as you can, since it is the only kind of check you have. In general what you have to do against this thing is to set rocks up as soon as possible and try to chip it down.

Conclusion
Thanks everyone for reading! I really enjoyed writing this RMT, even if it was quite difficult since apparently I'm bad at explaining what my own mons do ;_; I also want to thank anyone who will give this team a try. It's super fun to play, a little bit difficult but it explains decently what my idea of team is. Once again, thanks for reading! :toast:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Psywave

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Shoutouts
Special shoutouts to:
Sun for helping me literally with everything. Every time I have a problem, you're there for me. Really thanks for everything man, I don't know how would have been my pweb life without you, probably a disaster lol
Zenobu :blobuwu: my fav depressed user by far. Thanks for the logo, for the theme and for the bbcode, idk how this RMT would have been without you. And, obv, for being a good friend!
Tricking for being one of the best memer and friend. Thanks for all the help, the teams and the moral support. Love you even when you say "LADDERA" every 5 seconds.
-Snow for being one of my best friends. You're a really good player too even if your snake's score don't show it. Thanks for everything man, i love you
Killintime for being a good tutor at the time. Even if we couldn't finish the session, I really enjoyed the time and all the help you gave to me. And remember that if I'm still bad, is your fault.
vakatalesau aka ATLI, for the grammar check and for being the best "I'll kill myself" user. Really love you :meguminsmile:

All my italian friends!! -Niko- Adam the first Coffe Corckscrew DenisTheMenace Fatalitatis H.M.N.I.P HQuaze Kebab mlml Killua kun Lalaya Laroxyl Lopunny Kicks MONNA LUSA NaCl nightcore Santu Slimmer Toxigen The Idiot Ninja .

And all my other friends too!! A Cake Wearing A Hat Ark CBU DiggerSR esche Eyan Gondra Matame Miguelmart pokemon sparrow ProfessorMasterChief TSR

sorry if i forgot someone ;-; feel free to insult me on my wall if i forgot you tho :D.

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i think you can start off by replacing terrakion with cobalion. weavile isn't banned yet but just in case it isn't you might wanna consider making this change because this way at least you got a solid switch in to pursuit weavile sets and maintain your win condition. you can run the double dance set too, though i think i would prefer fightium z over steelium z because it can help you break quagsire. though steelium z would help with shit like nailing primarina without you needing to boost which would give you more flexible counterplay against it. it also helps with scizor since u kinda have a rough time vs offensive sd ones.

protect zong doesn't really help its case vs life orb weavile (the better and more common set) since ur playing guessing games no matter what. because of this i think you might prefer actually being able to damage it rather than just rely on passive damage. because of that i think you would want heavy slam somewhere on this moveset. this way you can actively pressure altaria, gardevoir and weavile which i think you might find yourself preferring.

i do think you should be running scarf hydreigon(run flamethrower over flash cannon!). since you got heavy slam bronzong + wish + cobalion + toxic spikes i think you can handle fairy types fairly well. scarf hydreigon would give you additional counterplay to beedrill, haxorus and mega manectric which i think you might find useful. also since you gained another scizor check in cobalion you might consider making the tentacruel a little faster (96 timid) in order to outpace mamoswine because that as of right now looks like a rather annoying pokemon to deal with (assuming it has knock off) but i'd say this change is optional.

tried not changing much but this should help with some of the issues you faced. hope i helped!

edit: ur sassy without gyro ball. don't be sassy without gyro ball

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)