hardest boss

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Spiky Tiger in Secret of Mana is hands down the most difficult boss in that game. You don't have any magic when you face it, it's got pretty excellent attacks that can knock you unconcious, and in general it's one bamf. It's certinly beatable, but as far as bosses go that's definitely the toughest for the level you're at when you face it.

Oh course I've beaten Secret of Mana using only the Boy and physical attacks. The only time you really need to revive your allies is against Gorgon Bull, since it has that Lv. 8 Earth Slide that Obliterates a single target (it did 999 Damage when I had the best gear equipped. You need to dilute it by having allies alive).

Those Doom Walls were no prize package either.

i found the witch from the first banjo kazooie extremely hard for some reason. then again if i went and played through it now i could probably beat her.

Still, the royals alone (with Ike and Miccy for staff support) can solo the endgame. I did it once.
Yeah, it's just that real men don't use the royals :pimp:

I've never played it, but I'm pretty sure this boss takes the cake.

Father Rodin from Bayonetta is insanely difficult, with an extra bar of health more than the final boss and items being disabled for the fight. I've never beaten him though :x

Culex from super mario RPG is pretty difficult unless you're near max level, but I managed to beat him at ~25 (out of 30) last time I tried.

Tabuu can be difficult if you don't know how to dodge his attacks, especially in boss battle mode. Couldn't count how many times I'd get to him on intense, only to be killed by the "Red Rings of Death" attack. Sidestep is really a godsend for that fight though, and he gets much easier when you learn all of his attacks.

Omega Zero in Megaman ZX is quite possibly one of the most difficult boss fights in the entire Megaman franchise.

Also I'm suprised no one has made a mention of this yet.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Possibly the Fire Leo in Viewtiful Joe. For some reason I just find it incredibly difficult, and in terms of bosses it's definitely the hardest I've faced. Brilliant game, though.

Some generic RPG game on the PSP called Legend of Heroes. It was really a grindfest and I still don't know how I managed to get to the end to this day. Well the final boss came right after another boss fight, so the battle was rigged from the start. You had to kill his arms, legs, head, body, and minions and the lowest I got him to was the head and arms, but then he moved twice and killed my entire party.

Yeah, it's just that real men don't use the royals :pimp:
I never use them anymore. But if you're really desperate they're sort of IS's way of making sure anyone can beat the game. Try a Laguz-only run, it's quite fun. I took Vika to endgame once and it was hilarious. She got Tear on 6 Generals in a row.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I found Bass BX (or Forte, whatever you call him) in Megaman Battle Network 6 to be a major pain. You MUST have a LifeAura on to fight him, and if you lose it, there is nothing you can do but watch as Bass wipes the floor with your ass.

I found Bass BX (or Forte, whatever you call him) in Megaman Battle Network 6 to be a major pain. You MUST have a LifeAura on to fight him, and if you lose it, there is nothing you can do but watch as Bass wipes the floor with your ass.
I hated that battle. Eventually won by literally using a PA, dodging until the Chip Select window opened, and repeating. Although I'm of the opinion that Gregar (Falzar) BX/FZ/ whatever is harder.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
There's no way Gregar is harder than Bass. Bass moves around like a mofo and even though he stays on screen, it's really hard to hit him with your attacks. At least Gregar you have some sort of timing down. Slashman's charge attack beats Gregar pretty easily, so you can just use that.

In FFIV DS Release, the most bothersome boss for me was the Giant of Babil's CPU. The Attack Node justs blitzes through your team like no tomorrow. In my first playthrough it took me 29 goes to kill just that measly little orb. I'm not much for games lacking story and only have a DS and N64/GBC/SNES emulators, so IDK too many ultrahard bosses. FFIII gave me real strife with that annoying Iron Golem. Also, while not technically a boss, in Zelda:Phantom Hourglass, the whole Temple of the Ocean King was infuriating for me. In the fan-translated Sailor Moon RPG for SNES (embarrassment) the game is really cracked and quite poorly designed, so I had a habit of losing to bosses really badly. The first fight with Nabu got me until I overtrained like crazy. Zelda:Link to the Past also had some really crazy bosses. I've fought Ozma from FF at my friend's for him and HOLY CRAP that thing does not die and has a fairly expansive abilityset too.

The boss of Wily Stage 4 in Megaman 2. It's attacks are difficult to dodge, and if you mess up twice with your Crash bombs, you're screwed. If you mess up once, Dr. Wily's first fight becomes pretty hard as well, so being perfect is something that you're almost forced to do.

I'm pretty much always resort to using the pause glitch to dodge it's attacks. It's way too hard otherwise.

Video of it here, and it starts at 2:36.

In FFIV DS Release, the most bothersome boss for me was the Giant of Babil's CPU. The Attack Node justs blitzes through your team like no tomorrow. In my first playthrough it took me 29 goes to kill just that measly little orb.
LOLNO. That battle is super easy, I think (haven't played it in a while) you have to kill fuSoYa and destroy the attack node, then cpu, the defense node.

There's no way Gregar is harder than Bass. Bass moves around like a mofo and even though he stays on screen, it's really hard to hit him with your attacks. At least Gregar you have some sort of timing down. Slashman's charge attack beats Gregar pretty easily, so you can just use that.
Debatable. If you get some good PA's that hit most of the screen Bass is easier.

I suppose a mention goes to Lavos from Chrono Trigger. Fight him at the end and he's not too hard. But you have the option to fight him from quite early, when you'll be much lower levelled without grinding. And you get different endings if you do.

Not exactly a boss, but the infamous Gran Turismo series license tests. For example the final test for the S License in GT4: do a hot lap of the Nurburgring, the 14 mile Green Hell - knowing that if you put one wheel on the grass it's an instant disqualification.
On the same page, I beat the final S license test in GT3 by .002 seconds. And that was after spending a really long time on the rest of them too.

It seriously demands close to perfection on some of them, I couldn't even imagine going for gold or even silver on like half of the tests

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sturm. Advance Wars 2 Hard Mode.

You play against him for the two final missions, and both of them are very difficult. You have to use the unbalanced COs (Kanbei, Grit, Colin, etc) to even stand a chance of getting a decent ranking.

What makes him so difficult is the combination of his D2D unit bonus (immunity to terrain movement costs and rainy weather and a constant +120% to offense and defense, second only to Kanbei's +130/130, whose units cost way more for that privilege), his retarded CO power (drops a massive meteor onto your strongest/most expensive units, crippling them completely, while boosting the power levels of his own units for one turn), and the fact that in both matches he has Black Cannons and Lasers and shit on his side.

There are probably harder bosses that I've played against, particularly in action games, but Sturm stands out in my mind just because Advance Wars 2 was the first strategy videogame I ever played (besides Pokemon I guess).

I suppose a mention goes to Lavos from Chrono Trigger. Fight him at the end and he's not too hard. But you have the option to fight him from quite early, when you'll be much lower levelled without grinding. And you get different endings if you do.
I guess I agree with this. But Dream Devouerer is even harder. Easiest way to win-use the Apcalypse Fist. Sooo evil.

ugh, i agree with this. i've tried for years and years to beat subspace mode on the highest difficulty, and i still haven't managed it. sonic is good for taking him on, but the most successful character in dealing with him that i've used is peach. with peach, at least you can float all over the screen and slap him with your air attacks. even so though, taboo's tremendous amount of attacks, huge power, and relative unpredictability make it really hard to take him out with any character. plus, yeah, he has health out the wazoo and can do the screen-clearing attack. i've basically given up on beating him, but if you have any tips for me, i'd be glad to hear them -.-

ps: sheilding and dodge rolling really don't work that well, as he can practically break your shield in one hit, while dodge rolling on some of taboo's attacks requires inhuman timing if you want to be able to keep evading him for too long.
I actually just beat that guy today, I've had brawl forever but I hadn't bothered with the Subspace Emissary much until recently. And yeah you can't really shield against that prick's "kill everything attack," and dodge rolling requires great timing. I still can only survive his "Off Waves" (I looked it up) about half the time. But hey that's why you have 6 characters. :D When I did it my MVPs were probably Kirby and Zelda. Kirby can float around with him and smack him around, he also has a really easy time avoiding most of his attacks. And Zelda can shoot her fireballs without having to chase the asshole around the stage while he teleports, it's still not easy to keep up though. Lucario and Samus are also great because they can charge up they're powerful attacks and just blast him rather that trying to hit him a bunch of times in the short amount of time he stays still. When I beat him on intense my team was: Wario(he was pretty much deadweight) Samus, Zelda, Pit, Kirby, and Lucario. I'd try out some of those guys before you give up, it took me awhile but beating him was awesome. =]

Final boss in Bowser's inside story. Recovers to full health every time you almost kill him. And I imagine the Iron golem from FF3 would be pretty hard.
Just take Broggy for a walk man :pimp:

Near the top of my list is Captain K. Rool. To this day I have not defeated him and his vacuum gun.

As for subspace advice, I highly recommend multi-hit aerial attacks with a high damage-output like Lucas' down air. Moves with little lag that you can execute quickly are also really useful, in particular Toon Link and Meta-Knight's Neutral Airs.

I found the Shadow Queen from Paper Mario 2 to be quite brutal. Her HP was at a ridiculous level and her attacks hit hard as fuck and were pretty hard to block. I had to restart the game on my first playthrough because I didn't get some vital badges that were now unavailable to me.
I actually had trouble with Grodus (or whatever he's called). I don't recall how it happened, but I lost both my Life Shrooms on him and I had no trouble with the Shadow Queen. But it's been years since I played that, so I don't know.

In todays standards, the last bosses in Sonic 2 destroy me. I have few lives near there, and then a crapload of unexpected bosses come and end me. Without the stage select screen (for cheaters only), I can't win.

In Earthbound, I had an awful experience with the Trilonage Sprout. Paula was mushroomed, and I used PK Freeze Gama (this was my first time playing, so I skipped it making me over leveled). It Jeff for the KO. Then Ness bashed while Paula too, massacred Ness. By that time I was screwed. Paula bashed herself to death. Otherwise, the Trilonage Sprout is easy if you're not hopped up.

Oh yeah, and Tabuu? Really?

I actually had trouble with Grodus (or whatever he's called). I don't recall how it happened, but I lost both my Life Shrooms on him and I had no trouble with the Shadow Queen. But it's been years since I played that, so I don't know.
Meh, I had some trouble with the Shadow Queen. Although to this day I haven't made it to Bonetail.

TheMantyke said:
Near the top of my list is Captain K. Rool. To this day I have not defeated him and his vacuum gun.
Ugh, I hated that battle. It basically comes down to memorizing his attacks.

@smashlloyd: Late reply, I know to kill the Attack Node first, in my second playthrough I beat it first try, but the Laser Barrage 2HKOES everyone (undertrained people get OHKOed by it) bar HP+50% Cecil. It's only a matter of killing it fast, but luck plays a big role. I would NOT say it is easy, just very very luck-based.
EDIT: Also, TheMantyke, I have gone up against Captain K. Rool, and I can agree his vacuum gun just PWNS ME TO THE MAX!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)