GSC In-Game Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
If fighting/fleeing from 5 zubats in Mt. Mortar and then walking 50 steps to that patch of grass truly is "out of the way", then I don't even know what to say.

Yeah, Kadabra might have 120 sp.atk, but when both pokemon get the STAB and are similarly (disgustingly) over-leveled, the hits are going to be doing overkill regardless. The speed and strength difference is negligible between the two. At the end of the day, if the thingy is weak to psychic, and you want it dead, then it's going to die. It doesn't really make a difference if Kadabra can slam something for 300% when a Giragarig can get 150%. But what does matter is having the option of going for those super-powerful physical moves when you want it/need it without having to raise up a whole different Normal-type mon from scratch.
Girafarig is good because it is like a Tauros and an Abra put together. Benefits of both stabs all in one pokemon, thus you'll be able to kill stuff that BOTH mons can kill. And becuase of that fact, the Gira will be at level 40 by the time you get the Red Scale at the Lake of Rage (after acquiring 6 badges). It's a very braindead mon. I'm still confused why it's rated so low while Tauros is so high. If someone else can do a better job at articulating the point, please do.

By the way, I also don't really get what you mean by it's movepool isn't that good. It comes with 2 fantastic moves the moment you catch it, which is better than you can ask for from 90% of pokemon. I'm confident I'm not alone here.
EDIT: You note that it doesn't learn Psychic naturally, but neglect the fact that Psybeam can actually be argued as better than Psychic for in-game. Psybeam has 20 PP compared to the very low 10 PP of Psychic; plus 65 base power behind STAB is quite often enough to 1-shot stuff.
Girafarig's movepool may be limited, but what's wrong with it being limited if it works like a charm? Where exactly do you see an issue in the [Stomp/Strength]+[Return]+[Thunder/Confusion]+[Psybeam] moveset? You sail through the game just as easily with this thing as you do with a Kadabra. What is Tauros planning on doing to touch Rocks, Ghosts, Steels or pokemon with high physical defense? Literally, the ONLY good move Tauros naturally learns is Horn Attack until Thrash (@level 43). The argument that it's better than Girafarig seems to be rooted deeply in bias.

Last edited:
I love Girafarig, but Abra with Elemental Punches is far better ... Girafarig is a easy B-rank, maybe an A, but definitively not S material

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
Girafarig is very similar to Stantler. However, it has a bonus Psychic-Type and comes a bit later. Dual STAB is nice but not having natural Psychic in its movepool is lame - but I guess Psybeam is an OK replacement...
Girafarig can't hold a candle to the Abra family, but I agree C tier is a bit too harsh. After all, it has solid matchups all around. It should be B-tier.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
EDIT: You note that it doesn't learn Psychic naturally, but neglect the fact that Psybeam can actually be argued as better than Psychic for in-game. Psybeam has 20 PP compared to the very low 10 PP of Psychic; plus 65 base power behind STAB is quite often enough to 1-shot stuff.
This would be a fair and almost valid point... If it weren't for the fact that Kadabra gets Psybeam at level 21 and Girafarig gets it at level 41. You're working off Confusion basically all the way through Clair - keep in mind the tier list is under the assumption that you're not soloing but instead using a party of about 3-4.

Part of the reason I was so harsh was that you're trying to claim that Girafarig is an S rank Pokemon which is absolutely absurd - beyond just Tauros (who you're also underrating to an incredible level) this would mean that Girafarig is a more efficient Pokemon to use than Cyndaquil, GS Magmar, and the cover legendaries (again remember that this tiers all the way through Kanto too so they're not exactly "basically the end" availability). Hopefully that puts it into perspective why your nomination seemed so incredibly absurd. I'm not personally opposed to a rise - quite frankly I don't know GSC well enough to debate on minor placement details - but even I can see that Girafarig at S is an insanely high rank.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Girafarig deserves a rise because Normal is really good in this game and Psychic STAB is nice for Team Rocket, but yeah S is hugely overselling it. Its movepool is what holds its back, since unlike something like the Nidos it doesn't have much in the way of coverage to compensate for its meh stats.

B could work for it.

I didn't say that S-tier was the end all be all, it was just how I viewed how useful the thing was throughout my playthrough (and it was incredibly useful). I said that it should move to A at the least.
S is overselling it? Yeah, it probably is and I understand that; but B is UNDERselling it. I see no reason for it to be ranked below Tauros. So, they should be in the same tier (A-tier).

I am not taking ANY credit away from Tauros; I know how good it is. Hell, if I'm using it as my STANDARD OF QUALITY for comparison when assessing Girafarig, then obviously I hold a high opinion of Tauros. Whatever drew you to that conclusion was all made up in your mind.

Bottom line is, I don't see a any reason for it to be lower than A. Please convince me otherwise; I'd be more than happy to hear a decisive conclusion.
Maybe, it's just b/c of the way the list is now. B-tier is a downright disrespectful placement for Gira considering Rattata, Pidgey, and Seel are ALL B-tier. There's honestly no other way to cut it; B is just too low for Gira to be.

It's also funny how the posts against Girafarig keep getting a billion likes. Why don't the lurkers try giving some reasonable insight instead of circle jerking.

It's also funny how the posts against Girafarg keep getting a billion likes. Why don't the lurkers try giving some reasonable insight instead of circle jerking.
1-You started your argument as Girafarig is somewhat similar to Kadabra.
2-You maintain an aggressive attitude.

I also think Girafarig is better than most of the Pokémon in D tier and maybe better than some in C tier. By no means it's a bad pokemon, Normal and Psychic stab makes a good mixed attacker set. But as mentioned earlier,. Psybeam coming at Level 41 and Crunch coming at Level 54. If you don't use any TMs,it is stuck with Confusion and Stomp for 26 levels. Headbutt/Stomp/Strength + Psybeam (doesn't even learn Psychic by level up, higher PP would be a better argument if it didn't learn it at level 41) + Crunch + EQ(For Houndoom or Steelix)/Thunder(for Skarmory) is a good set but you have to get to level 54 and use 1 TM.

I think Girafarig is currently where it should be. If we had more rankings I would put it in D+ or C- tier.

I also realized now that Headbutt and Stomp are almost identical moves.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Do the trades include RBY, Stadium or Stadium 2? Keep in mind this can change a few things such as having a Surf Pikachu (Gen 1 from Pokémon Stadium) holding a Gen 2 Light Ball. (Making it one of the few Electric types that can stand up to Ground types, besides Lanturn and Zapdos).

According to Bulbapedia - It can be acquired as it is: Held by the starting Pikachu from Pokémon Yellow if traded to Generation II

While Surfing Pikachu would be acquired from Pokémon Stadium 1, meaning you remove Light Ball from starter Pikachu when traded to Gen 2, and give it to Surf Pikachu from Stadium after it is traded to Gen II.

Since you are limiting it to cartridges, and cartridges are used with Pokémon Stadium... but if you don’t count the console games, perhaps at least the Gen 1 cartridges trading since trading is apart of the game.

Also, Gen II includes Stadium 2...
Either way, perhaps it might deserve a separate label for Stadium and/or cross-generation trades... similar to how you mentioned (trades) (in-game trade) or (G), (S), (C) abbreviations beside the Pokémon under the viability...
————-
In a separate thread we may also want to consider the Virtual 3DS viability for Gen 7, as in what Gen II tradeables are viable in The current gen throughout Pokemon Bank, this can be relevant in seeing what might not be viable here (I.e. since Gen II is before the Gen IV Physical and Special Split), but can be traded to viability... or simply for their new forms.

Keep in mind the Shiny factors and IVs can be manipulated in different generations much easier giving Gen 2 some beneficial glitch-worthy values in breeding Pokémon.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Do the trades include RBY, Stadium or Stadium 2?
With the exception of roundabout trading to evolve Pokémon like Kadabra, Link Trades and other Pokémon from outside sources are not factored into these tier lists. You can’t assume everyone has access to such tools, and trading in outsider Pokémon also completely invalidates the purpose of these tier lists.

In a separate thread we may also want to consider the Virtual 3DS viability for Gen 7, as in what Gen II tradeables are viable in The current gen throughout Pokemon Bank, this can be relevant in seeing what might not be viable here (I.e. since Gen II is before the Gen IV Physical and Special Split), but can be traded to viability... or simply for their new forms. Keep in mind the Shiny factors and IVs can be manipulated in different generations much easier giving Gen 2 some beneficial glitch-worthy values in breeding Pokémon.
Um, what?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
With the exception of roundabout trading to evolve Pokémon like Kadabra, Link Trades and other Pokémon from outside sources are not factored into these tier lists. You can’t assume everyone has access to such tools, and trading in outsider Pokémon also completely invalidates the purpose of these tier lists.

Um, what?
Since you asked... some combinations of moves and Pokémon are exclusive to Gen II, such as Curse Scizor, which allows Scizor to serve a different role in Gen 7, than it could previously. Not to mention the hidden abilities.

I am referring to Pokémon that are Gen 2 that can bring something new to Gen 7, since before these virtual consoles were released, you couldn’t trade Gen 1 & 2 to Gen 3 onwards

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Since you asked... some combinations of moves and Pokémon are exclusive to Gen II, such as Curse Scizor, which allows Scizor to serve a different role in Gen 7, than it could previously. Not to mention the hidden abilities.

I am referring to Pokémon that are Gen 2 that can bring something new to Gen 7, since before these virtual consoles were released, you couldn’t trade Gen 1 & 2 to Gen 3 onwards
Yeees, nothing you've said has been wrong but a general rule of thumb is that for ingame tier lists everything used has to originate on that cart (otherwise S rank would be level 100 Mewtwo from RBY for example). That means that in the Gen 7 games stuff you transfer via virtual console wouldn't be tiered on an ingame tier list.

If you're talking competitive for these things, you're definitely in the wrong subforum, you'd want to discuss these mons in the appropriate competitive play subforums.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Yeees, nothing you've said has been wrong but a general rule of thumb is that for ingame tier lists everything used has to originate on that cart (otherwise S rank would be level 100 Mewtwo from RBY for example). That means that in the Gen 7 games stuff you transfer via virtual console wouldn't be tiered on an ingame tier list.

If you're talking competitive for these things, you're definitely in the wrong subforum, you'd want to discuss these mons in the appropriate competitive play subforums.
Got it, wasn’t sure if which forums is specific to that, as I couldn’t locate it.
Stuff like Perish Song, Whirlpool, Sap Sipper Azumarill seems fun, thanks to Gen 2. I’ll attempt to find.

Don’t forget the item: Beserk Gene, exclusive to Gen 2.

+2 Attack and automatic Confusion when it switches in, basically a self-inflicted Swagger, in consumable item form. Invisible but by the Mewtwo Cave entrance in Cerulean City.
Might be useful for Jolteon to have, (fast and can immediately Baton Pass). Jolteon would be sent in, and then it can Baton Pass on its first turn in to help some Pokémon like Taurus with a Confusion cure berry for basically a free Swords Dance, letting it sweep.

I used Xatu in my playthrough. Future Sight + Fly was okay but I really felt that the power was lacking outside of Night Shade - after getting Psychic in Kanto it definitely gets a lot better but I dunno, I feel like D is okay for it - though C is debatable.

Any reason why Seel is B? I can understand C but Seel doesn't seem too stellar, at least not compared to other Water-types. You get Seel once you beat Pryce which is arguably late-game and it just seems like by the time you get it you already have a dedicated Water-type - heck, Red Gyarados is super good both as an HM slave and as a teammate and you get it near the same level as your team + it's near Mahogany as well. C for Seel because it does have redeeming factors in Ice Beam being a fairly early level up move.

I've used Bellsprout on my Gold playthrough - it's a bit of a dong sandwich until it gets Leaf Stone in Kanto - same case for Poliwhirl really. However, I think Bellsprout (C) needs to be ranked on its own - it's arguably one of the best Grass-types, if not the best that you can get in Crystal. Granted, Grass-types aren't that great to begin with but in the places where Grass-types are strong, Bellsprout (C) excels and definitely deserves its own ranking. Maybe B/C.

Qwilfish is a great Pokemon but the sheer time it takes to get it doesn't make it worth it, imo. I believe you need to wait until Silence Bridge, then wait until a fisherman calls you for a Qwilfish swarm, and then back track all the way to the route south of Violet to fish for a Qwilfish - but the problem again is that by the time you get Qwilfish, your team is already set.

Karxrida

I think Jolteon needs to drop to E since it's terrible and probably the worst out of the 3 OG Eeveelutions. Ignoring what you need to do to obtain it, it has a ton of issues.

First of all, it gets no STAB until level 52. At all. Thundershock comes at level 16 but you get Bill's Eevee at 20 and there's no Move Relearner yet. While the Thunder TM exists, it's super expensive/time consuming to obtain since you need to buy it at the Game Corner.

While we have a number of Pokémon ranked higher that lack good STAB options, this is especially crippling to Jolteon because its movepool does not mesh with its stats on top of it lacking any good coverage. Base 65 Attack is pretty bad, not helped by being reliant on things like Double Kick, Pin Missile, and Iron Tail. The only Special move it can get for coverage is Bite, and that requires getting Eevee to level 30 before evolution.

Yeah it's fast and pretty strong, but that means shit when your movepool is so garbage that your power is worthless.

Last edited:
I think Jolteon needs to drop to E since it's terrible and probably the worst out of the 3 OG Eeveelutions. Ignoring what you need to do to obtain it, it has a ton of issues.

First of all, it gets no STAB until level 52. At all. Thundershock comes at level 16, you get Bill's Eevee at 20, and there's no Move Relearner yet. While the Thunder TM exists, it's super expensive/time consuming to obtain since you need to buy it at the Game Corner.

While we have a number of Pokémon ranked higher that lack good STAB options, this is especially crippling to Jolteon because its movepool does not mesh with its stats on top of it lacking any good coverage. Base 65 Attack is pretty bad, not helped by being reliant on things like Double Kick, Pin Missile, and Iron Tail. The only Special move it can get for coverage is Bite, and that requires getting Eevee to level 30 before evolution.

Yeah it's fast and pretty strong, but that means shit when your movepool is so garbage that your power is worthless.
Agreed, it's not worth using at all.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Qwilfish is a great Pokemon but the sheer time it takes to get it doesn't make it worth it, imo. I believe you need to wait until Silence Bridge, then wait until a fisherman calls you for a Qwilfish swarm, and then back track all the way to the route south of Violet to fish for a Qwilfish - but the problem again is that by the time you get Qwilfish, your team is already set.
Qwilfish is swarm-exclusive until you get the Super Rod, but you can technically catch it on your first visit to Route 32 since you can register Fisherman Ralph and pick up the Old Rod in the Pokemon center all at once. If Ralph is your only Pokegear number, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he will trigger the swarm before you leave the area. The worse case and most likely scenario: you can backtrack to New Bark and force the swarm via the DST exploit, which is still a bit of a time sink, but not terribad at this point in the game. One particular issue with catching it this early though is the level; Old Rod Pkmn encounters on this route with the swarm are found at lv 5 for some unknown reason (they should be lv 10), so it requires a little bit of grinding.

Agree on Jolteon, and I personally think Bellsprout-C should stay in the same tier as Chikorita since they're both very similar (I'm still not 100% sold on C, but neither of them are definitely B).

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll weigh in on the Girafarig debate I guess. I tried it, it's pretty good, B rank is probably good placement since its not that much more out of the way than Tauros if you bring some Repels for Mt. Mortar (they're about even in search time probably - Tauros has a low encounter rate but Girafarig requires significant travel), but it's not a world beater by any means and it has some disadvantages. Pidgey and Rattata have an availability lead and similar Speed + Attack, but their key advantage is that they have more time to build up happiness so they get a stronger Return faster. Pidgey also performs sufficiently well against Fighting/Gastlys and Rattata can take Dig/Iron Tail to help cover Gastly and Rocks. Tauros isn't THAT helpless against Normal resists - Surf HM is free and lets it kill Geodudes just fine, Gastly is the only relevant Ghost for ingame and is uncommon so you can just leave them to a teammate like your starter (or you can just give Tauros Iron Tail/EQ so it can handle them itself) and Steels are irrelevant since those also wall Girafarig. Girafarig's Psychic STAB advantages over Tauros disappear completely once EQ TM is available and arguably aren't THAT important since Tauros's overall superior strength makes up the difference.

I do think that it clearly loses to Kadabra in terms of being a Psychic - Kadabra is stronger and has an immediate massive movepool advantage in Elemental Punches. About the only thing Kadabra is worse vs than Girafarig is Karen. Abra is cheaply bought at the Game Corner and can be immediately TM'd Elemental Punches to start wrecking faces, so it does not require that much babying lol. Meanwhile Girafarig has to wait until Level 41 to get a STAB move with >50 power - it plays more like a Normal type that has better Special attacking ability than a Psychic. That does make it a pretty good jack-of-all-trades, but it is the master of none, and is overall less efficient than using a "master of some" mon like Kadabra or Tauros.

Girafarig on its own is a good mon though, like most of the other Normals. It's major advantage over the other Normals is being able to beat Morty by itself, but other than that its not that much better as it has lesser STABS, or lesser availability, and its interesting movepool options are late or locked behind TMs. I think B rank is fair alongside Pidgey and Raticate, it has better endgame performance and Morty but worse availability.

Karxrida

Gastly (No Trade) doesn't seem to be ranked. I'd place it in D or F because Haunter doesn't get the Elemental Punches.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
In light of the recent announcement of Crystal for the Virtual Console, will we end up tiering Celebi in the near future, provided that it can be caught in the international versions as well?

The official wording suggests that it’ll be available after the Elite 4 but prior to Kanto (whereas in the physical Japanese game it wasn’t available until you had all 16 badges), so if that’s the case and it still comes around lv 30, it could be usable for the Kanto segment. It would still be underleveled, but it would arguably be one of the better Grass options in this game due to the part Psychic typing, and being available at a point in the game where it can actually have some decent matchups and pick up its main STAB moves in a fairly short timeframe.

In light of the recent announcement of Crystal for the Virtual Console, will we end up tiering Celebi in the near future, provided that it can be caught in the international versions as well?

The official wording suggests that it’ll be available after the Elite 4 but prior to Kanto (whereas in the physical Japanese game it wasn’t available until you had all 16 badges), so if that’s the case and it still comes around lv 30, it could be usable for the Kanto segment. It would still be underleveled, but it would arguably be one of the better Grass options in this game due to the part Psychic typing, and being available at a point in the game where it can actually have some decent matchups and pick up its main STAB moves in a fairly short timeframe.
Quick analysis of Celebi in Kanto:

Lt. Surge: If you picked up Solar Beam in Route 27, this shouldn't be too hard - though it doesn't excel at anything particularly important against Surge. It has Heal Bell to brush off paralysis and it can spam Solar Beam until everything's dead with the exception of Magneton, who resists Solar Beam.

Sabrina: Celebi doesn't really excel at anything here but if need be it can take care of this easily as well. It resists the only type Sabrina's Pokemon know how to use, and similarly to Lt. Surge, can spam Solar Beam to it's hearts content. Notably, from this point onwards, Celebi has access to Psychic from Mr. Psychic's house.

Erika: You can wear em' down with Psychic I suppose, but Celebi doesn't excel at anything here either. Most of the time you'd be better off with another teammate. Celebi can easily OHKO Victreebel if needed here, though. Notably, from this point onwards, Celebi has access to a slightly more reliable Grass-type STAB in Giga Drain, from Erika. You also get Curse here, I guess, though I don't know how effective that would be, maybe for later on when you get Baton Pass. Finally, Sunny Day is an option for SunnyBeam combo sets.

Janine: Spam Psychic. Crobat is sorta annoying so you may not want to use Celebi for that but Celebi should have a relatively easy time with everything else on paper - though I don't know how much Weezing's Sludge Bomb does, and how much Venomoth's Gust does (I know you wouldn't be able to OHKO the former). If Celebi is at a relatively high level at this point, it should be smooth sailing.

Misty: Be wary of Lapras' Blizzard. It'll sting, and you definitely aren't OHKOing Lapras anytime soon here. Starmie also has Ice Beam, which is not good for you. Other than that, Celebi can take care of it with either Solar Beam or Giga Drain.

Brock: Spam Giga Drain and win: the game.

Blaine: Not good at all, don't use Celebi here.

Blue: Aside from Rhydon, there's really not much you'd use Celebi here for. Most of the Pokemon, Celebi would rather not deal with. It has Ancient Power for Gyarados I suppose and can Baton Pass any potential boosts.

Red: Celebi walls Pikachu and can take it out in a couple Psychics (or one even if you're levelled up enough). It also takes care of Venusaur extremely easily due to it not doing much back. It walls Espeon as well and could probably take it out with a bit of luck/without Mud Slap making you miss. Celebi beats Blastoise on paper, but Blizzard is too threatening for Celebi. However, Celebi struggles greatly against Charizard and Snorlax, so it needs some teammates to cover them. Other than that, it does do quite a good job during this fight.

I read some stuff people were talking about with Kenya, the Spearow. I saw one say it comes a bit late in the game being that it is level 10, making it difficult to handle, but I find that not true at all. To get TM27 from the woman @Dept. Store, you'll only need to have a level 22 Croconaw (when also factoring in the other forms of happiness you have accumulated).
But anyway, a great way to whip that Kenya into shape very quickly & efficiently is by SKIPPING the Sprout Tower your first visit at Violet and instead opting to just go straight to Falkner with Rage Totodile. You'll solo the first 3 gyms with Croconaw (it's tricky to beat the rival's Bayleaf on it's own, but teach it Fury Cutter and it should be doable), then head over to the Tower (walking or teleporting w/Abra if you decided to go Center-less from Azalea to Goldenrod) and sweep the place clean. Kenya'll find a bunch of levels and happiness with those "gained a boosted" experience points. Never realized how much that makes a difference, but it truly does, and alternate 'OT' pokemon should be strongly considered. If you do the teleport method, you will get to completely bypass that disgusting Route 35, above Goldenrod.
I gotta agree with user RBYer who said Kenya should be in S. The availability, the convenience, the power, the early evolution, all give Spearow (Kenya) the edge over other A-tiers, to be honest. A regular Spearow isn't anywhere close to Kenya.

More points in favor of Kenya:
  • It is among the easiest pokemon to soft reset for good DVs in the entire game; very similar to the Game Corner mons like Abra, except Kenya gets to skip the whole "Would you like to nickname?" text, which is pretty nifty. Thus Kenya is basically guaranteed to have strong stats if you care enough to try.
  • It learns Drill Peck "late" at level 40, but that is the equivalent of level 30 for a traded pokemon, as they gain 1.5x. So Kenya's learnset is effectively well above average. The thing will be hovering around level 50, with barely any effort, by the time you are at Clair's gym.
  • I saw someone say Fearow's moves leave more to be desired. That may be true to an extent, but the fact that you are broken compared to NPCs does enough justice. Peck (the regular Peck, not Drill Peck) at >level 36 will literally be 1 shotting all un-evolved Team Rocket pokemon, just to paint the picture.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Provided that we get official confirmation with no strings attached I am okay with ranking Celebi.

Colonel M, isn't Psyduck rated way too high? I find it no where near as useful as this list wold lead one to believe.
  • It's level up movepool is actually terrible, aside from Confusion. Psyduck doesn't learn any Water move until level 50, so you don't have STAB until Ecruteak, which is absolute crud. So much for catching one to kill SILVER's Quilava ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Evolves quite late, at level 33, meaning you are stuck with base 52 Attack until Pryce/Jasmine.. That should be reason enough.
  • If you are playing Crystal, it is available earliest at Ilex forest (only during NIGHT), ranging from levels 7-7, with a mere 10% encounter rate. Good luck finding a Male Psyduck with decent DVs in a reasonable time. If you are playing G/S, it is found after Ilex Forest, making it even less relevant in the game.
  • It's TM movepool actually isn't that good either. It gets Ice Punch and Headbutt; that's literally it. It can't learn Fury Cutter until it becomes a Golduck, which defeats the whole purpose of catching it early, as you could use that move to not only take down SILVER's Bayleaf/Croconaw, but also 2HKO Whitney's Miltank. Psyduck hits like a toddler and tanks like a house of cards; what are you even planning to do with it??
He's not even a great Early-game HM slave either, as Psy/Golduck can't get Cut (Whirlpool is cool though).
Why are all these underwhelmng mons in A, while actual good pokemon are ranked low? Stuff like Quagsire and Teddiursa are TRUE A-ranks; they are ranked very accurately, so good job there. Also, have you considered putting Kenya to S-tier yet? How often do you update this list?

Last edited:

Karxrida

Boxwood I think you're putting a little too much emphasis on DVs. Like good ones are nice to have, but they're not the end-all-be-all in a game where you can get away with running Quagsire as a Special Attacker. Besides, calculating for them at low levels is a pain (if not impossible) and SRing is kind of a waste of time.

I'd also suggest checking out Page 3 of this thread. Some Psyduck discussion happened there, plus there's some stuff on Kenya.

Boxwood said:
How often do you update this list?
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)