Gen 2 GSC Bang Bros

The idea of this team I built is all out offense. It's based around the premise that I think Explosion should be a much larger tactic than it is (I know it's very common, but still not common enough).

I've built it not necessarily trying to counter specific OU threats, but to try and best counter anything at all, as I use it to battle friends through Pokemon Stadium, as well as competitively.

I am open to everything from changes to specific pokemon sets/stratergies, as well as suggesting replacement Pokemon. Remember however that this is an in-game build, so if it is reliant on moves that are impossible to get in game, or factors such as that, it's no use to me.

@ Leftovers

- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
- Explosion

I like Cloyster as a starter in any team, but he works especially well here. Lay down spikes, hit them with Toxic. From there, it can just depend on whether they've switched in, or stuck it out. Usually I get rid of Cloyster with explosion fairly quickly and take out their starter. He's here to lay down spikes, and then try his hardest to beat 1 pokemon. Pretty simple.

@ Leftovers

- Curse
- Double-edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Snorlax's primary role in the team is to be a late game finisher. The idea is that my 5 other pokemon can take out 4-5 of the oppositions pokemon, either with or without Exploding, and then I back my Snorlax to come in and finish the rest. The moveset was tough to pick, as this is an in game build. I wanted to use a different Snorlax and originally was planning to run Belly Drum & Lovely Kiss, however consistency and covering all bases has led me to go with a stock standard Curselax. I did consider running Body Slam over Double-edge for Para, and again, nice in game consistency.

@ Leftovers

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Hypnosis
- Explosion

Gengar is in the team really to try and cover bases. He can threaten most Pokemon, and if you hit an early Hypnosis with his good speed he can really wreak havoc or force a switch. I didn't know whether to go Thunderbolt or Thunder, but I like the consistency of Thunderbolt, because if one or two thunders miss it can leave him vulnerable. Ice Punch or Dynamicpunch were my choices for that slot, I again just went with my general theme of cover bases, and then Explode.

@ Thick Club

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide

I know, no explosion. It goes against what my team is designed around, but I found I was being hurt to hard by my lack of variety. I needed something with a little more mixed attacking power. I went with Tyranitar and Dragonite (Ice Beam, Thunder, Body Slam, Dynamic Punch) originally, but then ended up on Marowak. I am very open to suggestions on what Pokemon should fill this slot, as it is without doubt the one I am most unsure of. It's pretty obvious though what I've done here, my whole premise is to end up as a 1 vs 1 battle using Snorlax, so Marowak is designed to be able to take down at least 1, as well as coming in and hitting hard on any Steel/Grass/Flying types. I would also consider an Offensive Alakazam (Fire Punch, Psychic, Recover, Thunder-wave/thunder punch/ice punch).

I guess I could also go with an Exploding Golem or Phazing Rhydon on this slot as well. So many options, such a hard choice.

@ Leftovers

- Curse
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Explosion

This was also a hard choice. Steelix doesn't really offer me much in terms of handling new threats that I previously couldn't, although I like that he can Roar to spikes shuffle, and he can be a really solid wall as far as an offensive Pokemon goes. One curse and he's hard to take down unless hit with something that is super effective against him. He is usually able to take down 1 pokemon, he works well against Normals, and I like to Roar out an opposition Snorlax. Although, I am open to changing Roar in favour of an attacking move that will help him take out a wider variety of Pokemon. Earthquake works well against Gengar, Alakazam too.

@ Leftovers

- Giga-Drain
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Explosion

This guy is a beast. An absolute beast. The biggest trouble is that he has a lot of options. I just love how bulky he is, but using Giga-Drain and Psychic he is a genuine offensive threat. I went with Sleep Powder over both Stun Spore and Leech Seed, although I would really love to use Leech Seed if I'm honest. It was a hard choice, but in the end I think putting Pokemon to sleep is just way too valuable in the GSC metagame to choice a little HP increase over it. And then of course finish it off with Explosion, which literally almost guarantees that this guy takes out at least 1 opposing Pokemon.

Last edited:
It's a solid boom team overall, but it's screaming for a Pursuit support. Gengar and Missy not only can come in in your Explosions, but also render your EQ-less Snorlax useless. And the vast majority of teams use either one of them. The standard Houndoom set or Pursuit Mix T-Tar over Marowak would make this team WAY more effective.

Pretty cool, very aggressive looking! The first thing i'm gonna say here is can you be a little more specific about what you mean by "in game team" and "impossible moves to get"? Are you saying you're playing manually and can't be changing your lvl 100 Pokemon? Or do just mean you can't do PCNY moves? I'm curious why not; is this on cartridge or ROM?

Explosion is certainly great for 6 v 6 battles, I never really had it down for something that useful in game, especially if you're at lvl 100. Explosion is also a pretty risky strategy in prime cup rules in my experience.

The team looks good but if i'm trying to be critical I can see a few Pokemon that would give you problems here:

Tyranitar - Curse, rock slide, crunch, fire blast
This just flat out beats 4 members of your team if you can't put it to sleep, and the other 2 (cloyster & marowak) have a real hard time switching in; all the moves do respectable damage to cloyster and tar out speeds marowak so if your opponent predicts the marowak switch, which probably wouldn't be hard looking at your other options, you'll be able to switch in on crunch twice max, maybe once if they decide to keep tar in.

Heracross - Curse, megahorn, earthquake, rest
I really don't know what your plan for this guy would be? I guess you could try sleep it with gengar or blow it up with Steelix? Possibly try lax and hope for some luck? If it's already got a Curse on you, you're done; +1 hera outspeeds +0 snorlax and i'm pretty sure that megahorn does over 50% damage.

Exeggutor - sleep powder, leech seed, psychic, hp fire
Again all you've really got for answers here is getting a jump with sleep or explosion, you cannot switch anything into this safely other than lax and you're going to struggle to beat leech seed, even with that immense moveset, and that's assuming your opponent would even leave this eggy in after they see sleep talk.

Not only do these pokes cripple the core of the team, they also wreck your end game of having lax as the last poke standing. If I may hazard a couple of suggestions; i'd put destiny bond over hypnosis on gengar; you already have a superior sleep move and destiny bond will give the ability to take down major fences for your team quickly and reliably. I would consider that one a must change. I also think Machamp would be better than marowak, you already have a ground type and Machamp would balance the team better, have more longevity and help with some of those threats I mentioned above. I'd go this moveset: Curse, cross chop, rock slide, fire blast. Primarily this gives you something for tyranitar; yes, it is still slower but it 1 shots with cross chop and has better Sp. Df., leftovers recovery and leaves tar with only fire blast to hit him with on the switch. I'm not sure it will safely take that Heracross out but it will give you a much better chance than marowak; it's resistant to Megahorn and you can counter Curse and hit him fire blast and rock slide. It isn't destroying exeggutor either, but at least with the speed tie and fire blast i'd say that gives you a slightly better chance than marowak. Maybe not quite on par with wak for raw power but certainly not lacking in it, also doesn't really change the structure of being an all out hyper offensive team.

As sombody else mentioned you're a little vulnerable against Gengar too; especially if it has fire punch for that Steelix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)