Grammar Prose Workshop

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add/Correction
Remove
CAPITALIZE / lowercase

Comments

Swoobat is a psychic flying Psychic / Flying type Pokemon with the ability Simple, an ability which doubles causes all of it's stat its stat changes to double. It even also gets Stored Power to attack with, but it unfortunately does not have very good has poor defense and special defense defense stats to put up with dammage, which makes setting up and utilizing Stored Power difficult for Swoobat.

My first time GPing, tell me what you think!

Edit: Thanks Hollywood. Your constructive criticism definitely helped. No one is prefect, but I'm trying to be the best I can be.

Earthquake scores an easily OHKOs against Magnezone, (AC) even though it appears to be levitating. as its Steel and Electric are both typing makes it quadruple weak against ground which amplifies the weaknesss. (Add Full Stop) and so the opponet might Switching into a flying type Flying-type Pokemon helps Magnezone to nullify the move.

My 2nd time GPing, I wonder if I covered everything! :D

Yanmega was banned from RU for getting easily 2HKOes 2HKOing against almost everything in the metagame every Pokemon, (AC) and made it almost impossible to outspeed because of its speed boost ability Speed Boost. (Add Full Stop) made it almost impossible to outSpeed. Zoroark was also banned in that the same suspect round because of its ability for being able to fool the opponent with illusion and hit retaliate with a strong Knock Off or Dark Pulse.

Another practice with GP

Some have speculated that Mega Camerupt was going to go all the way move up to UU and eventually get banned, (AC) however but it is seeing use has a use in RU and even NU teams. A lot of Most people invest heavily in speed when using it to be able in order to move before outspeed Amoonguss and Slowking, (AC) which are two mons that could prove truoblesome threaten Camerupt, especially if they get to move first before it.

After practicing all these 4 exercises, I found out that GPing is a lot of fun! :P

Last edited:
rubsomebacononit

- should be Psychic / Flying type, no d
- I'd keep the "It even" (maybe change to "It also") at the beginning of the second sentence for better flow, as the first sentence also begins with "Swoobat"
- I'd cut "to attack" after Stored Power; what else are you going to do with it?
- "poor Defense and Special Defense stats" can be conjoined to just "poor defenses"
- the "and cannot take much damage" at the end is redundant with "has poor Defense and Special Defense (or defense) stats," so I'd just cut that part altogether
- maybe add "which makes setting up, and thus utilizing Stored Power, difficult for Swoobat" to the end. this correlates the two parts of the sentence and helps transition to a possible future sentence about Swoobat's downfalls.

all the technical stuff was there barring the "typed" in the first sentence, and you did a good job of restructuring sentences to help with awkward wording. don't be afraid to remove more, especially in cases of redundancy. analyses should include all relevant information while remaining concise. nobody likes to read walls of text, especially ones that say very little. my second and last points aren't things I'd expect a new GPer (or even many of our veteran ones, really) to change, but they're things I'd personally do.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
rubsomebacononit

- should be Psychic / Flying type, no d
- I'd keep the "It even" (maybe change to "It also") at the beginning of the second sentence for better flow, as the first sentence also begins with "Swoobat"
- I'd cut "to attack" after Stored Power; what else are you going to do with it?
- "poor Defense and Special Defense stats" can be conjoined to just "poor defenses"
- the "and cannot take much damage" at the end is redundant with "has poor Defense and Special Defense (or defense) stats," so I'd just cut that part altogether
- maybe add "which makes setting up, and thus utilizing Stored Power, difficult for Swoobat" to the end. this correlates the two parts of the sentence and helps transition to a possible future sentence about Swoobat's downfalls.

all the technical stuff was there barring the "typed" in the first sentence, and you did a good job of restructuring sentences to help with awkward wording. don't be afraid to remove more, especially in cases of redundancy. analyses should include all relevant information while remaining concise. nobody likes to read walls of text, especially ones that say very little. my second and last points aren't things I'd expect a new GPer (or even many of our veteran ones, really) to change, but they're things I'd personally do.
wow, thank you for the comments!

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Now for the 2nd half of the GP practices. When I'm finished the last 4 will be edited into this post!
Add/Correction
Remove
CAPITALIZE / lowercase
Comments

Out of every Pokemon in LC, (AC) Onix has the highest Defense stat. (Add Full Stop) of every mon in little cup Its just imagine it with eviolite well it actually runs (Not necessary) Berry Juice because it can use it with and Sturdy set allows Onix to get set up Stealth Rock. (AC) and It also gets taunt to work with is nice for it too and base 17 speed, (AC) but its rock ground typing Rock-Ground typing is bad four it tho because makes it quadruple weak to water and grass. (Add Full Stop) weakness.

The combination of Geomancy and Baton Pass are the combination that made caused people want to ban Smeargle to get banned. I'm telling you they The UU council could have just banned Geomancy and kept Smeargle, (AC) but they didn't. Even though nothing but no other Pokemon outside of Ubers can could learn it, (AC) so there it was relly no reason not to just ban Geomancy. Or Power Herb.

6 is really confusing...

Last edited:
didn't have much to do, kinda dubious about this one

add
remove
comments
Capitalize / uncapitalize

Delta Stream is an exclusive ability to Mega Rayquaza Rayquaza-Mega that halves the damage taken by Flying-types from a super effective attack that makes all flying weaks nullify fast and right away. This means that a Normal (add space between Normal and the slash) / (add space between the Flying and the slash) Flying type Pokemon under these effects of that Delta Stream have no weaknesses, (AC) even though the part Nortmal- (add dash)typinge leaves it neutrally hit by makes it not resist Fighting-type attacks, (AC) despite it being part Flying-type (add dash after Flying).

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swoobat is a Psychic / Flying type Pokemon with the ability Simple, which causes all of it's stat changes to double doubles all of its stat changes. (Just sounds nicer.) It even gets also has access to the move Stored Power to attack with, but it unfortunately does not have very good the Defense and or Special Defense to put up with dammage take damage.
Hi marzikins! I think you did a really good job here. I also would have changed it to "doubles all of its stat changes".

Earthquake scores an easy OHKO against Magnezone, even though it appears to be levitating unless it holds an Air Balloon. (More factual.) Steel and Electric-types are both weak against Ground-types, which amplifies the weaknesss and so the opponent might switch in to a Flying-type Pokemon to nullify the Move Earthquake. (Awkward wording?)
Mostly good here too, but an important thing to remember is that if you're listing two types (Steel and Electric-types) the first type also needs to have a hyphen after it. So, it would be "Steel- and Electric-types".

I'm confused on how to find posts that need grammar checks, if someone could explain to me how to find them. ^_^;
The first post in this thread has a list of analyses and how many more GP checks they need! Good luck and I hope to see more checks from you! :)

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Feeling interested in maybe trying my hand at am GP checks so let's give this a whirl~

Additions
Corrections
Comments

Exercise 1:

Corrections Made:

Swoobat is a psychic flying Psychic / Flying type Pokemon with the ability Simple, which causes all of it's stat changes to double whose ability, Simple, doubles its stat changes. (doesn't need to be so long imo) It even gets Stored power to attack with , This ability allows it to make good use of Stored Power. (It might be petty, but I think this may help in connecting to the previous sentence) but it unfortunately does not have very good defense and special defense to put up with dammage. Unfortunately, Swoobat’s lackluster defenses hinder its longevity. (A bit more succinct. The point is that it's frail on both ends)

After Corrections:

Swoobat is a Psychic / Flying type Pokemon whose ability, Simple, doubles its stat changes. This ability allows it to make good use of Stored Power. Unfortunately, Swoobat’s lackluster defenses hinder its longevity.

Exercise 2:

Corrections Made:

Earthquake scores an easy OHKO against Magnezone even though it appears to be levitating. Despite Magnezone appearing to levitate, (I don’t personally see this part as necessary but whatever) Earthquake easily OHKOes it (Succinct) Steel and electric are both weak against ground which amplifies the weaknesss due to Magnezone's quadruple weakness to Ground-type attacks. (worded so weirdly, types don’t really need to be mentioned as the point is it’s weak to Ground-type attacks) and so the opponet might switch in a flying type Pokemon to nullify the Move. To avoid damage, the opponent may respond by switching in a Flying-type Pokemon. (Feels a bit clearer)

After Corrections:

Despite Magnezone appearing to levitate, Earthquake easily OHKOes it due to Magnezone’s quadruple weakness to Ground-type attacks. To avoid damage, the opponent may respond by switching in a Flying-type Pokemon.

Might have been a little liberal with my changes so I don't know how I did :/

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey ThisMysteriousGuy :)
Overall, you did a great job fixing the objectively wrong things in the exercises. I think you do change a bit too much, though, bordering on rewriting the entire thing. That's understandable in this case, as the exercises are super messy, but try to avoid making too many subjective changes when checking actual analyses.

Swoobat is a psychic flying Psychic / Flying type Pokemon with the ability Simple, which causes all of it's stat changes to double whose ability, Simple, doubles its stat changes.

For example, I think "with the ability Simple," is alright here. "Swoobat is a Psychic / Flying type Pokemon with the ability Simple, which doubles its stat changes" sounds pretty good and doesn't have any errors that I can see.
Kind of unrelated, but for your addition, "whose ability, Simple, doubles its stat changes" - you have to be able to remove the thing between the commas and the sentence should have the exact same meaning. "Swoobat is a Psychic / Flying type Pokemon whose ability doubles its stat changes." True, but Simple isn't Swoobat's only ability... maybe you're talking about Klutz? So to make it absolutely clear what ability you're talking about, I would remove the commas that you have around "Simple".

Delta Stream is an exclusive ability to Mega Rayquaza Rayquaza-Mega that halves the damage taken by Flying-types from a super effective attack that makes all flying weaks nullify fast and right away. This means that a Normal (add space between Normal and the slash) / (add space between the Flying and the slash) Flying type Pokemon under these effects of that Delta Stream have no weaknesses, (AC) even though the part Nortmal- (add dash)typinge leaves it neutrally hit by makes it not resist Fighting-type attacks, (AC) despite it being part Flying-type (add dash after Flying).
Nice job here. Just a few things -
After implementing your changes, the second sentence reads "This means that a Normal / Flying type Pokemon under these effects have no weaknesses". That "have" should be "has", as "a Normal / Flying type Pokemon" is singular.
The other thing is that when you're talking about a typing, such as Normal typing or Flying typing, you don't need the dash.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Add
Remove
Comments

Swoobat is a psychic flying Psychic / Flying type Pokemon (redundant because readers already know Swoobat is a Pokemon) with the ability Simple, which causes all of doubles it's stat its stats changes to double (could replace 'changes' with boosts and drops to be more specific). It even gets learns Stored power Power to attack with (redundant), but it unfortunately its does not have very good (could be rephrased) defense and special defense Special Attack to put up with dammage is not powerful enough to deal considerable damage. (Stored Power is a Special Attack, so Defense and Special Defense have no purpose here).

The following two won't hide because I'm doing something that keeps messing me up...

GP Exercise 2:

Earthquake scores an easy OHKO against on Magnezone even though it appears to be levitating.because Magnezone (this is for clarity; "it" could refer to either Earthquake or Magnezone) has Steel and electric a 4x weakness are both weak against to ground Ground-type moves. (End sentence with a period) To mitigate this weakness, which amplifies the weaknesss and so the opponet opponent might switch in a flying type Flying-type Pokemon to nullify the Move move's super effectiveness.

GP Excerise 3:

Yanmega was banned from RU for getting easy easily 2HKOes 2HKOing against almost everything every Pokemon in the metagame tier. and its Its speed boost ability, Speed Boost, made it almost impossible difficult to outSpeed outspeed (could add "and revenge kill" here too). Zoroark was also banned in that suspect round from RU (to be consistent) for being able its ability to fool opponent opponents with Illusion and for its hit with a strong knock off or powerful Knock Off and Dark Pulse attacks.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heh I want to improve my grammar, so why not.

Add
Capitalize / Uncapitalize

Remove
Comments

GP Exercise 1:

Swoobat is a psychic flying Psychic / Flying type Pokemon with the ability Simple, which causes all of it's stat changes to double which doubles all of its stat changes. (flow sounds better and is more concise) In addition, it even gets Stored Power to attack with to capitalize on these boosts, but it Swoobat (repetitive; reader may think 'it' refers to the boosts) unfortunately does not have very good defense and special defense to put up with dammage many chances to set up due to its lackluster defenses.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)