ORAS UU Goodbye ORAS UU

Hello! You have probably never heard of me as I'm pretty new to the smogon forums, but I wanted to finally post this team onto the RMT Section as a send off to ORAS UU. This tier has brought me a lot of fun, and was pretty much the first tier I tried when starting back in XY UU. In three days, well almost two, Pokemon Sun and Moon will be released and this was my last chance to pump this team out to you guys. So here we go...

When I was first making this team, I wanted to use my favorite wall core to use in any tier, Bronzong and Tentacruel. I'm going to talk about good ol' Tentacruel first,

Squilliam (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Haze/Toxic Spikes

Our little squid here is a mixed wall of sorts, which I like much better than having one fully defensive and one fully specially defensive in a wall core. This Tentacruel gives this team hazard removal which is always needed in this tier due too all the hazard stackers and such. It can take on hard hitting fire types like Entei, Infernape and Darmanitan, as well as a large handful of threats in UU, like Gyarados, Heracross, etc. Scald is there pretty much to do what scald always does, burn stuff. Since acid spray has become much more popular than it had in the past, I decided to replace sludge bomb with it. The decision between toxic spikes and haze has always been an issue for me. Over time I have learned that both are very useful, but haze recently has become my go-to. This choice is mostly over the common Conkeldurr which would gladly take a poison to boost its guts ability. Haze has also seen useful for the setup mons running around UU and has proven its usefulness to me on multiple occasions. Now, you may be wondering why I have a timid 104 speed EVs on this Tentacruel. Well, this EV spread outspeeds max speed; Mamoswine, Chandelure, Cloyster, Metagross, and Gyarados. This spread really helps out Tentacruel and can suprise the opponent at crucial moments when they think they have a free kill. Next up its walling buddy, Bronzong,

Dumb (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Bronzong has become a very reliable pokemon when teambuilding, especially when you can pair it with a mon like Tentacruel. Bronzong is a mon that can wall so many big threats in the metagame, Celebi, Sylveon, Mamoswine, Mega Aerodactyl, and the list goes on. Gyro ball is doing good damage on the fast pokemon in the tier, and is much better than heavy slam in my opinion, but you could put it on if you really feel it necessary. Stealth rocks were a must as the rest of the team doesn't have any pokemon to handle the job. Toxic and protect are two moves that are very annoying to face, but helps to put a timer on a pokemon making sure it can't stay in for long. Protect is also very helpful when it comes to Bronzong's lack of recovery. Making sure it can get 2 turns of leftovers is a nice tool and helps this wall stand up longer. Now with the wall core complete, I'm going to add a mon that has been my favorite thoughout the years of UU, and that mon is Hydreigon

Norbert (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

This pokemon is a monster. Every time this thing hits the battle field something is taking a huge hit. Utilizing its scarf makes changes this pokemon into a good revenge killer as it outspeed everything that isnt choice scarfed. Hydreigon also combines with our wall core very nicely by covering the weaknesses left out like Tentacruel's electric weakness and Bronzong's dark weakness. Draco and Dark Pulse are dual stab and are going to be on pretty much every scarf Hydreigon. My last two moves I decided on were fire blast and u-turn. U-turn has always been a nice move to have on my scarfers, and can give you a lot of momentum if used at the right moment. For the final move I debated between iron tail for fairies like Sylveon, or fire blast for steel types like Cobalion and Mega Aggron. I decided on fire blast so our Hydreigon doesnt get walled by the many steel types. Also my wall core of Bronzong and Tentacruel deals with Sylveon beautifully and really puts a damper on its power. With this pokemon, we are able to run modest because it still outspeeds Mega Aerodactyl, the fastest pokemon in the tier. To follow up our choice scarf pokemon, we have Entei

Helens (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

The beast that goes by the name of Entei made its way onto our team. This pokemon hits insanely hard against almost everything it the tier. And the things that do not get 2hko'd by banded Sacred Fire will hopefully become burned making it harder to survive more hits. This pokemon also has some pretty good offensive synergy with Hydreigon, as it switches in to fairies and steel types with ease. Extreme speed is the best form of priorty in the entire game, and Entei utilizes it well being banded. Stone edge and Bulldoze are for the few things that Sacred fire and Extreme Speed don't hit, like Chandelure. Overall this thing is on the team to hit like a truck and punch wholes wide enough for our pokemon, Celebi, to sweep.

Not Navi (Celebi) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Leaf Storm
- Dazzling Gleam/Earth Power

The classic nasty plot Celebi. Celebi finishes off the offensive core of Entei and Hydreigon. Once the opposing team has been weakened by both Hydreigon, Entei and our last pokemon, Celebi comes in and can clean sweep even without a nasty plot up. My biggest issue with building this Celebi set is the move I should run. I really like Psychic for that extra power when sweeping, but I have seen Psyshock on many occasion. The decision between the grass stab has been a nuisance. My usual choice has been Giga Drain for recovery during your sweep, allowing you not to be worn down and picked off by a priority move. Energy Ball is another option, which I actually dislike. It may do more damage, but I think that being able to gain HP during a sweep is very useful. For my coverage move, I like Dazzling Gleam over Earth Power. Now that Hydreigon is back from its suspect test, sweeping will never happen without this move. Celebi can take a scarf dark pulse, and fire back with a powerful +2 dazzling gleam. This situation is based off of a sweep late game where you can take a dazzling gleam and for sure live with life left even after life orb recoil. Then giga drain something and be on your way to victory. My last pokemon on this team used to be one of my favorite Jolteon. Now that the meta has changed, I have exchanged Jolteon for arguably the best electric type in the tier, Heliolisk.

Apollo (Heliolisk) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice

This lizard has become grown up through the ranks and become a valuable member on any team. This pokemon can switch in to most bulky waters with its great dry skin ability, and force it out with a electric move. On most of my teams I like to run a fast electric pokemon that can force pokemon out and volt switch on its switch in. This pokemon fits the description perfectly and can also beat ground types with grass knot, taking away any chance to stop the volt turn. Heliolisk has a great speed tier, just out speeding pokemon like Cobalion and Galvantula. Hyper Voice is there as a useful second stab move to hit other pokemon that take electric moves. Heliolisk is just good at what it does and is a good pokemon to finish off this team.

Well that was the team! I hope you all find this useful for your ORAS UU battles. It is sad to see this generation go, but I think that 6th gen was a pretty great one competitve wise. Hopefully Sun and Moon will bring something even better. Thanks for reading my first ever thread on these forums. Goodbye ORAS! Nico, signing off...

~N

IMPORTABLE:

Squilliam (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

Dumb (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Norbert (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Helens (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Not Navi (Celebi) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

Apollo (Heliolisk) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice

Vague

Banned deucer.
hi, so this team actually isn't half bad since you accounted for quite a large swath of threats in the metagame but there are some changes that can be made to make it better.

Major Change
->

So this team is pretty offensive on a whole and Bronzong saps away every bit of momentum your team generates since it's very passive and pretty much just sets Stealth Rock for you. A nice swap would be Mixed Metagross > Bronzong since they retain the same useful typing to checks threats like Sylveon and Celebi while bringing a lot more offensive presence into the mix. The mixed set in particular is nice since it lures in and eliminates annoyances like bulky waters (think Suicune and Milotic) for Entei and reduces you reliance on Celebi. Yes, you have Heliolisk as well, but that brings me to my next change.
Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 176 Atk / 112 SpA / 220 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

->

You lacked a Mega and Mega Aerodactyl fits this team exceedingly well as an excellent cleaner with it's Hone Claws set that appreciates the breaking support that Metagross, Celebi, and Entei offers. It also gave you another form of counterplay against things like Mega Beedrill, Crobat, Celebi, Conkeldurr, etc. as well as a great source of speed control. Heliolisk wasn't necessary with Explosion + Grass Knot Metagross and Celebi to take care of Water-types so this was an appropriate change for the better.
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake / Crunch
- Hone Claws

Crunch would be a cool tech that lures in bulky Psychic-types, especially opposing Bronzong, for Celebi and itself. Earthquake in general is better though.

Minor Changes

Tentacruel's EV spread is honestly pretty weird and inefficient, but you should run a new EV spread of 232 HP / 76 Def / 8 SpA / 192 Spe. It allows you to outpace Krookodile while giving it a nice degree of bulk. 8 SpA is used to ensure you can 2HKO Entei with Scald. Acid Spray also doesn't do too much for you since you aren't running the core shredder set, so Haze > Acid Spray and Toxic Spikes in the last slot does your team very well with the passive damage TSpikes provides for the more offensive teammates to do their roles better.

/

Scarf Hydreigon should be running a Timid Nature to make the most out of it's Speed Tier as a revenge killer. A neat change for Celebi would be Colbur Berry> Life Orb to lure in opposing Scarf Hydreigon since you lack a Fairy-types to take it on. Pretty simple concepts.

How these suggestions help you out!

hi, so this team actually isn't half bad since you accounted for quite a large swath of threats in the metagame but there are some changes that can be made to make it better.

Major Change
->

So this team is pretty offensive on a whole and Bronzong saps away every bit of momentum your team generates since it's very passive and pretty much just sets Stealth Rock for you. A nice swap would be Mixed Metagross > Bronzong since they retain the same useful typing to checks threats like Sylveon and Celebi while bringing a lot more offensive presence into the mix. The mixed set in particular is nice since it lures in and eliminates annoyances like bulky waters (think Suicune and Milotic) for Entei and reduces you reliance on Celebi. Yes, you have Heliolisk as well, but that brings me to my next change.
Metagross @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

->

You lacked a Mega and Mega Aerodactyl fits this team exceedingly well as an excellent cleaner with it's Hone Claws set that appreciates the breaking support that Metagross, Celebi, and Entei offers. It also gave you another form of counterplay against things like Mega Beedrill, Crobat, Celebi, Conkeldurr, etc. as well as a great source of speed control. Heliolisk wasn't necessary with Explosion + Grass Knot Metagross and Celebi to take care of Water-types so this was an appropriate change for the better.
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake / Crunch
- Hone Claws

Crunch would be a cool tech that lures in bulky Psychic-types, especially opposing Bronzong, for Celebi and itself. Earthquake in general is better though.

Minor Changes

Tentacruel's EV spread is honestly pretty weird and inefficient, but you should run a new EV spread of 232 HP / 76 Def / 8 SpA / 192 Spe. It allows you to outpace Krookodile while giving it a nice degree of bulk. 8 SpA is used to ensure you can 2HKO Entei with Scald. Acid Spray also doesn't do too much for you since you aren't running the core shredder set, so Haze > Acid Spray and Toxic Spikes in the last slot does your team very well with the passive damage TSpikes provides for the more offensive teammates to do their roles better.

/

Scarf Hydreigon should be running a Timid Nature to make the most out of it's Speed Tier as a revenge killer. A neat change for Celebi would be Colbur Berry> Life Orb to lure in opposing Scarf Hydreigon since you lack a Fairy-types to take it on. Pretty simple concepts.

I think colbur berry would be much better than life orb, as my team also can't deal with Conkeldurr very well. This would give me a switchin to knock off. I do think that this tentacruel set could work much better than my old one and I will definitely give it a try. As for Hydreigon, I think it could to timid and I will see how it works out in more testing. Thanks for the help btw. :)

Major Change
->

Metagross @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

->

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake / Crunch
- Hone Claws

Minor Changes

/

As for the Metagross and Mega Aerodactyl, I do really like the idea of Metagross instead of Bronzong, and can see why this would be a better choice. Momentum loss from Bronzong has been a problem this team suffers and I think this change is going to really help out the team as a whole. Mega Aerodactyl is a good fit for the team, and even though I already have a setup pokemon. I am definetly going to see how this works out, and thanks for the great feedback. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)