Gen 4 "Goliath Buffet" (Ranked #1 on PS)

:mehowth:"Goliath Buffet": Gen 4 OU Para+Offense by togaquest :mehowth:

Swampert sprite
Slowbro sprite
Jirachi sprite
Snorlax sprite
Latias sprite
Machamp sprite

Hey everyone. This was a team I created that differs from the norm, but managed to stay on top of the Gen 4 leaderboard for much of June 2020. Even though I managed to accomplish that feat, this team definitely has big flaws and I tend to play this team instinctively/suicidally against teams I match up badly against. Anyway, a main strategy of this team is Para-Spam to overwhelming with powerful bulky strikers. I know that the strategy tends to be frowned upon, but it is legal in the metagame, so why not try to abuse it? Overall, I consider this team a bit of a gimmick, but it managing to reach #1 on the leaderboard is a testament to its effectiveness (or perhaps my instinctive playing). From my experience, this team matches-up well against offensive teams and if you stick to your resistances and counters you should do fine, but requires prediction and some luck with the RNG against stall teams. The name "Goliath Buffet" comes from the visual of my slow but powerful Pokemon feasting upon the other team once battered and weakened.

#1 Proof :

#1.PNG

Well here we go!

:psywoke::psywoke::psywoke::psywoke::psywoke::psywoke:

Swampert Back sprite from Platinum

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Description: Swampert is my lead that I go to because of its reliability. In most situations, I can get SR up and get some damage off to opposing leads. I generally like to preserve Swampert because it is useful late-game when paralysis is spread on Pokemon, since its combination of natural bulk + attack investment + Torrent lets it dish out a lot of problems to opposing Pokemon. Overall Swampert is an incredibly balanced and reliable Pokemon.

Slowbro Back sprite from HeartGold & SoulSilver

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Slack Off
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Description: I have had so much success with Slowbro that I don't understand why it isn't OU. Sure he is vulnerable to popular Pokemon like Tyranitar and Scizor, but to most other physically based mons he feels indestructible. Slowbro is a solid counter to common Pokemon like Machamp, Gyarados, and others. It brings a sense of safety to the team and helps with the goal of spreading paralysis. Early in the match, when Slowbro is in good health, I like to take the U-Turn from Scizor and para the incoming Pokemon, or sometimes take the attack from Ttar and para, since Slowbro is bulky enough to survive those super-effective attacks and get a chance to Slack Off. He also has good synergy with Snorlax in that he attracts Rotom and Gengar which can be easily Pursuited if they're choiced. Edit: Replacing Slowbro with Defensive Starmie is a great option, however Slowbro is bulkier and a perfect counter to opposing Machamp which Starmie is not, but Starmie does offer Rapid Spin support.

Jirachi Back sprite from HeartGold & SoulSilver

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Description: In my opinion, Jirachi is one of the best Pokemon in Gen 4 OU, maybe even slightly broken. I just wanted a Jirachi as physically defensive as possible. This thing is a sponge for Outrages and Draco Meteors. I honestly did not look too deeply into EVs (perhaps I should be running a specific amount of Speed EVs, but was just too lazy to think it through or look it up). As everyone knows, Jirachi is incredibly abusive with T-Wave + Iron Head, add this on top of a Sub, and the frustration goes through the roof. Wish is also useful, because I can pass it to weakened teammates like Snorlax, Machamp, and Swampert to give them a second wind lategame. Edit: I was just thinking Body Slam over T-Wave could help greatly against Mixgons (maybe even Ice Punch over Wish could be a good option)

Snorlax Back sprite from HeartGold & SoulSilver

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Description: I like this Snorlax because it tends to catch opponents off guard. Opponents switching into a Band Body Slam without realizing it tend to take massive damage (getting a para is the cherry-on-top), for example Breloom, Flygon, or Gliscor switching in. Snorlax is useful in particular because of its ability to switch in and Pursuit Ghost types, which opens up Machamp's Dynamic Punch and his own Body Slam later on down the line. A lot of players don't expect Snorlax to be running Pursuit, so they tend to switch out. Although a bit of a gimmick tactic, many players immediately consider Snorlax to be a Sleep-Talk variant, so even if they are running Wisp Rotom, they often switch out and eat a Pursuit. Edit: Now that I'm thinking of it, Self-Destruct could be a good option to add over like Superpower to provide insurance against CroCune/Skarmory (it will nearly KO even fully physically invested Skarm) as well as to just KO someone and give a switch in for Machamp late game. Edit: Actually nvm, Self-Destruct isn't compatible with Pursuit. Edit: Replacing Snorlax with the Ttar set below in the thread seems to work better.

Latias Back sprite from HeartGold & SoulSilver

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Description: Latias fills certain defensive holes such as Breloom and Infernape. I went for a heavy physical defensive investment because of this, also it gives an easier time against Tyranitars. In combination with her naturally high Sp. Def, she makes a fantastic mixed wall. First three moves are self-explanatory, HP fire is for Breloom, as well as KO-ing unsuspecting Scizors. I initially had a Dragonite in this position, but found the SR weakness to be too big of a hindrance.

Machamp Back sprite from Platinum

Machamp @ Custap Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Payback

Description: The last Pokemon is Machamp. I generally play Machamp late-game when the other team is paralyzed and weakened. This is a juggernaut of a Pokemon who can always get at least one Dynamic Punch out due to its bulk. The Custap Berry has also saved me multiple times, and is a crux that can also be used to feign a Choice item. It is always fun to keep opponents guessing between Payback and Dynamic Punch. Now that I am thinking of it, Lum Berry could possibly be a good alternative, since it would help against Wisp Rotoms, which are annoying for this team. Edit: Another good idea could be a Choice Band, since the Payback predict could KO defensive Rotom's outright, and the power-up on D-Punch would help apply more pressure against Suicune and Skarmory. (I just tested with a Choice Band, and ironically a Custap would've won me the game here (It was a good match though): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1923993731-9dgespzhudln11xr6ej3bsmeetzgv7fpw) Overall Machamp is a very dangerous and frustrating Pokemon to deal with. I feel I have provided a good environment for Machamp to perform well in.

Some other matches (Note I started using Ttar over Lax, as well as CB on Champ):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924295533-q3tfvmhdo962j4qu2zxtr0b9a7c3iobpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924309483-u9u4jsv3g0cp9y80cu4uilql25oqqwapw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924317089-f95j88hqjgxax7sab7qpdnr6urx3pjfpw

Guy got lucky at the end - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924324662-ffed9ciqklqxtg4hf7wi3vh0jhydldwpw
Good Payback predict - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924398890-mdzirq71wd9t404ms328mtqzq8fg0smpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924420792-44h2n95j8abiqmpp5rjzhh0fu1l362apw\

Got super lucky - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924437098-uxweo0iozvlkybc4e58jt7mpi0wrmj3pw
Good 6-0 to break into 1600s - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1924445316-qnyadw4ce3agstv3m6in6vbejvwaf3ypw

:psysly::psysly::psysly::psysly::psysly::psysly::psysly::psysly::psysly:

Team Type Resistance Coverage:

1664993190432.png
x2 (0.5 damage)
1664993242015.png
x3 (0.5 damage)
1664993254235.png
x1 (immune)
1664993263807.png
x1 (0.5 damage)
1664993276026.png
x3 (0.5 damage)
1664993428952.png
x1 (0.5 damage) & x1 (immune)
1664993302924.png
x1 (0.5 damage)
1664993315660.png
x1 (0.5 damage)
1664993327463.png
x1 (0.5 damage)
1664993336711.png
x1 (0.5 damage)
1664993345297.png
x2 (0.5 damage)
1664993354682.png
x3 (0.5 damage)
1664993366510.png
x3 (0.5 damage)
1664993387535.png
x1 (immune)
1664993398737.png
x4 (0.5 damage)
1664993408235.png
x1 (immune)
1664993417265.png
x2 (0.5 damage)

Threat List:

The main threat to this team is Toxic Spikes, and entry hazards in general. Spikes pretty much eats this team alive. I also have no spinner or Poison type to absorb the entry hazards. Once I see the opponent is entry hazard oriented, I need to play more aggressively, unorthodox, and guerrilla-like. Even though the opponent would have a large advantage in this situation, winning is still possible. I cannot think of a Pokemon that I could add to the team without opening other holes, as well as moving away from the central theme of the team. Overall, I consider this team to be quite gimmicky, because it abuses hax (although it does so strategically) as well as its glaring weakness to entry hazards.

The next threat is defensive Rotom since it can burn my Pokemon and Rest off damage and status. It's best to paralyze it, then Iron Head or Waterfall it for some flinches. Another method is to predict its switch in with Machamp's Payback, which will nearly kill it. Overall defensive Rotoms can be incredibly annoying for this team to deal with. Now that I'm thinking of it, Lum on Machamp could help a lot versus these Rotoms and may be more worth it than Custap.

The next threat is Skarmory because of Spikes + Whirlwind. The best bet is paralyze it early, then threaten it with Latias/Slowbro. Another good option is D-Punch it with Machamp once it is para'd and hopefully get lucky with the RNG (or even not para'd because it can D-Punch on a Roost for super effective damage, just gotta watch out for BBs).

The last threat I can think of is Suicune, spefically CroCune as it is really bulky and can cure para. Best bet is to quickly paralyze and confuse it and try to kill with Machamp's D-Punch and SE. Keep it mind that Pressure quickly drains those moves though. Snorlax's Body Slam can also work against Suicune if it isn't too boosted.

Edit; I also realized Mixgon is quite dangerous to this team. Ah well no team's perfect.

:mehowth:

Last edited:

voyage

Banned deucer.
Hi,
This team is somewhat different from what is usually seen with that strategy. It is true that it can have a bad reputation because it is annoying but viable like any other.

Hm, at first glance and as you say it has some shortcomings. Well, there is no perfect team. It has merit that you have managed to be at the top. That says more about the player than the team itself. I think you have shown yourself to be very aware.

Honestly from me I will not be able to contribute much but I see as a good option to try Starmie by Slowbro. I don't see much difference in removing things like Gyara other than having a support to remove everything SR, Spikes. This is something that this team suffers a lot from. The idea would be the defensive set with TBolt for example. You can put Twave if you want and keep the strategy a bit.

In this way you can attract things like Rotom and take Lax to end a threat.

I have also noticed a weakness to dark or spam spam. You have Champ as resistance, the bulk of Swampert and little else.

I was thinking about Loom + Zone. All good but the problem is who you sacrifice. Hm, maybe one is Champ himself so as not to have a double fight type. You maintain the strategy with Force Palm in Loom that can paralyze in addition to hitting and with Zone you catch Scizor for example. As an option you can put Twave or Disharge you lose some power over TBolt but with more possibility of paralyzing. Skarm is another problem that you can eliminate with a single click.

^ These are actually really great ideas that I haven't thought of.

Starmie is definitely worth a shot, however the perfect counter to opposing Machamps would definitely be missed. Its utility is very appetizing though. Rapid Spin support would open doors for putting Togekiss over Snorlax and Dragonite over Latias, both options I have considered in the past but was ultimately turned off by their SR weaknesses. Also eliminating TS would be a Godsend.

Replacing Machamp with Breloom would be replacing a Dark resistance with another Dark resistance, thus giving me the same amount resistances I started with. Not to mention Breloom is noticeably frailer than Machamp. Also I am not too sure who I would replace to gain Magnezone. Jirachi is an option, but it would definitely be missed. Surprisingly, Tyranitar isn't too much of an issue even though I have two Psychic Pokemon. I usually manage to play around them pretty well. If they are stuck on Pursuits, I can easily recover off the damage. Crunches can be deadly, but switching to Machamp gives me a free avenue to launch a D-Punch or predict a Payback opportunity.

Last edited:
It might be worth considering to replace Snorlax with Tyranitar. Of course, it's lovely to paralyze Ground-types such as Swampert and Gliscor which you are otherwise unable to, but I think there are enough advantages to compensate. The obvious thing is that it is just better at trapping Ghost-types than Snorlax. As you mention, the surprise factor is the main effectiveness in Snorlax being able to trap Ghost-types and Tyranitar is a bit more reliable in this regard. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, Tyranitar adds sand. Jirachi is of course able to flinch / para a lot of mons reliably, but adding chip damage allows it to KO a lot quicker. The same is true for every turn where a mon is paralyzed, flinched, confused, etc.

For example, you could simply replace CB Snorlax with CB Tyranitar, but there are a lot of possibilities with which you could mess around depending on your preference. Lum Berry, Passho Berry, Chople Berry, Custap Berry are all viable options - as well as adding something like Fire Blast or Ice Beam to hit Skarmory or Gliscor and aid your Jirachi or Machamp sweep.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band | Sand Stream
Adamant | 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Crunch / Pursuit / Stone Edge / Superpower

To compensate for this change, you could add Body Slam > Thunder Wave on Jirachi, and Leftovers > Custap Berry on Machamp. This keeps the possiblity to paralyze Ground-types present, as well as keeping Machamp healthy in sand.

PS If you are really struggling with Toxic Spikes, you could try replacing Swampert with Nidoqueen. This allows you to simply absorb any layers - and showing it also discourages setting them. Nidoqueen + Slowbro should also generally deal with the same threats that Swampert does.

Tomahawk :

So far the switch to Tyranitar has been positive. I'm using the following set:

Tyranitar Back sprite from HeartGold & SoulSilver
Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 48 HP / 144 Atk / 52 SpA / 184 SpD / 80 Spe
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Thunder Wave Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

This set pretty much aims to bait and kill Rotoms and Skarmorys (which opens the door for Jirachi and Machamp late-game). The Lum Berry is useful because obviously it feigns a Choice item, but it also works so that Tyranitar can take a Wisp but still hit the Rotom full force for the KO. I stuck T-Wave on there to go with the rest of the team's main strategy. Edit: I think EQ is better over T-Wave

I also switched Swampert for Nidoqueen and the results have been so-so. I have never been too keen on Nidoqueen because it always just feels too weak for OU for me (both defensively and offensively). The ability to remove Toxic Spikes is really nice however. This is the set:

Nidoqueen Back sprite from HeartGold & SoulSilver

Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Overall, I'm back to climbing up the leaderboard.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)